Finishing the balcony clapboard
The arrangement of the loggia takes place in several stages. They are engaged in design at the last moment, and the overall look of the room depends on these works. Finishing the balcony clapboard is an inexpensive and practical option that will make the room cozy and pleasing to the eye.
Features, advantages and disadvantages
Covering the balcony clapboard - a popular and common solution. The material is easy to handle and install, affordable and has attractive external characteristics.
Initially, lining - well-planed wooden board, but now it can be made from other raw materials. However, it is the natural material that has the best characteristics.
The advantages of lining include:
- Strength. Natural wood is resistant to external mechanical influences, there are no scratches on it.
- Safety and environmental friendliness. Lining does not emit harmful substances in the air, it is non-toxic.
- Long service life. The operation time of the sheathing can reach up to 20 years, if properly installed.
- Thermoregulation. Lining absorbs the sun's rays and together retains heat indoors.
- Noise suppression. The material absorbs sounds from the street, so that the balcony will be quiet.
In addition, when installing under clapboard hide wires and communications, which is important when upgrading the living space. Lining can not paint, which reduces the time of repair work. Plus stands and ease of care. If dirt appears, it is enough to wipe the material.
Thanks to the natural structure, the wall paneling is pleasant to the touch. It contributes to the creation and maintenance of a microclimate in the room, participates in air circulation. Therefore, the balcony will maintain a comfortable temperature both in cold and in warm weather. It guarantees the preservation of a constant level of humidity.
This material has a number of disadvantages:
- One of the drawbacks associated with the peculiarities of the structure of the wall paneling: it is light and quickly ignites.
- Like all wood products, lining is sensitive to moisture and sudden temperature changes. To avoid premature damage, boards are treated with special compounds.
- In addition, if you violate the rules of operation of the materials are deformed.
Which is better to sheathe?
Lining is of several types, differing operational and external characteristics. The choice of material depends on the specifics of the installation of boards and their care, as well as the interior of the future dwelling. Sheathe a loggia can be one of the following types of lining.
Natural material with all the benefits. Lining is made in the form of thin panels of different dimensions. Bars are made from different types of wood: ash, oak, alder, cedar, linden, spruce, pine, larch. The material "breathes", does not allow the air on the balcony to stand. The unusual feature of the plating is a pleasant, fresh scent. It comes, first of all, from boards from coniferous breeds.
Depending on the quality of raw materials lining divided into types:
- The best material is marked with "Extra". Boards are well processed, devoid of external flaws. The cost of such material is higher.
- Class "A" allows for small knots, but is highly durable.
- Medium quality wood is used to create class B lining. On the uneven bars can be located cracks and resin pockets.
- The lowest quality material has a class "C". Lining badly polished, easily deformed. Captive knots up to 25 mm in size, non-through cracks, strips and other defects are located on the boards.
It is used for cladding, technical and auxiliary premises.
A variety of wood panels. Outwardly, these types are very similar, however, eurolining is of higher quality because it is made according to European standards. Such material is more expensive, the price is due to high performance. Lining stronger, made from the best varieties of wood.
The material is divided by size and shape. There are standard profiles, softline, landhouse, landhau, American, block house.
The most popular top is the last.Externally, the model looks like a timber on one side in the form of a cylinder.
Lining do with the strict requirements relating to including its size. It has a thickness of 13, 16 or 19 mm, and its width is 80, 100, 110, 120 mm. The length of the bar is 500-6000 mm.
Building materials are made of PVC, vinyl, have good heat and sound insulation characteristics. The term of operation of plastic lining reaches 30 years.
Polyvinyl chloride belongs to environmentally safe raw materials: it does not contain harmful chemical compounds, which is confirmed by sanitary certificates.
Plastic bars are simply mounted, ensuring the density of the joint. They are resistant to UV rays, do not fade in the sun. The material is not afraid of cold and hot weather: the working temperature range for it is from -50 to +50 C. A wide variety of design bars allows you to pick them up for any interior. Manufacturers create plastic lining, imitating natural materials, decorated with drawings or patterns.
The listed materials have their pros and cons. Plastic panels act as a cheap analogue of wooden boards and even have a longer service life.At the same time, it is wood boards that are associated with nobility and comfort. Wooden lining is more resistant to sudden temperature changes, but plastic - resistant to fire.
Do the calculation
Before carrying out repairs, it is necessary to determine how much material is required. Correctly carried out the calculation will avoid buying extra boards and will not allow to throw money down the drain.
For cladding take the lining itself and wooden bars, for the purchase you need to know their dimensions:
- The first thing is calculated area of the room. To measure the length, width and height will need a tape measure or a conventional measuring tape. From the resulting values, read the area of the doors and window openings. Due to the uneven surface and features of the fasteners of the rails, useful space can be lost, and in the course of work several boards can be damaged. For this purpose, another 8-10% is added to the final figure.
- To calculate the amount of lining the floor space is divided by the area of one board. For slats of standard sizes (60x9.5 cm), this value will be 0.52 m2.
- It is necessary to determine the number of bars used for the installation of the batten.The standard dimensions of the part are 50x40 cm. The height of the work surface is divided by the interval between the guides (0.6) and multiplied by the length. Metric beam can be obtained by folding the learned values.
- Before buying it is necessary to clarify the size of profiles of a particular brand. You can do this at the consultants in the hardware store or on the manufacturers website. As a rule, companies place special calculators for calculating materials.
For installation of lining your own hands do not need specialized professional equipment, and this is its plus. The list varies depending on the type of material chosen, but in general, the list of tools includes:
- Perforator, drill with percussion mechanism;
- Drill 4 or 6 mm;
- Screwdriver (electric or battery);
- Hacksaw, jigsaw;
- Construction level, body kit, nylon cord;
- Bit cross;
- hammer ax.
To measure, you also need a tape measure, a square and a pencil, the fasteners are made using nails with large heads (60 mm), screws on wood or metal (50, 75 and 90 mm) and anchoring umbrellas.And during the finishing work will be needed parts for furniture finishing: corners and baseboards.
How to sheathe your own hands: step by step instructions
Finishing the balcony is carried out in several steps:
- At the first stage, preparatory work is carried out, the purpose of which is to clean the surfaces from old paint, whitewash and other finishing materials. Should be removed and the window slopes, windowsill and plinth - you get a box without everything.
- Before covering the frames are inspected. The decayed parts are replaced, an antiseptic is applied to the surface to prevent damage to the wall panel. To prevent the appearance of the fungus, it is necessary to treat the surfaces facing the north side; alternatively, a film with waterproofing properties is placed under the frame. The gaps between the boards and the walls are filled with foam. When the balcony fence is made of metal sheets, a layer of foam blocks is created, which is laid on the cement mortar.
- The surfaces on which the wall paneling should be laid should be as even as possible: so the lining lasts longer. The existing bumps and cracks are leveled with a primer, it is recommended to apply it in two layers.Before proceeding to the next stage, it is necessary to wait for the complete drying of the solution.
From the installation of the batten depends on the final result of all the work. Reiki are perpendicular to the boards lining. Pre-parts for the frame are also treated with antiseptic agents. When repairing it is important to follow the sequence of work. The first are the slats on the ceiling (at a distance of 10 cm) and on the floor (the indent is 3-5 cm).
Installation steps for crates:
- Cut the rake of the desired length. On the bar make marks at regular intervals. With the help of a drill that corresponds in diameter to the dimensions of the fasteners, holes are created.
- The beam is applied to the wall, in the place of future fixtures, holes are drilled in the wall with a depth of 5-6 cm.
- Self-tapping screws are used for fasteners and initially they are not fully tightened to check the evenness of the installation of parts.
- Screws hammered with a hammer, leaving about 10 mm. Then they are twisted to hold the design most tightly.
The remaining bars are installed in the same way. After installing the two parts between them are laid out the other elements of the crates.For this purpose, the vertical tension nylon cords. The intervals between the bars should not exceed 60 cm. The frame is mounted on all walls and ceiling.
Guides are also packed around the openings. They are nailed vertically and horizontally in a single plane with the frame. If you plan to warm the loggia, the details are stacked between the slats. Rolled materials can be glued directly to the walls, then fill the frame on top.
When the balcony is processed in a humid climate, you can cover the surfaces with waterproof putty before installing the batten.
The process of covering the balcony is simple, especially if the rails were correctly installed before. Wooden lining is stacked in two ways, and the installation has plastic materials.
With open mount
For installation, self-tapping screws and nails are used, with the help of which the panels are screwed to the frame. This is a simple and fast way of plating, but it loses in aesthetic characteristics, because the appearance of the wall panel is deteriorating because of protruding screws.
With concealed mount
When working, the nails are driven into the inside of the groove, and the caps are heated to prevent the installation of the following elements. As fasteners can be used klymery made of metal plate. Installation is made from one corner to another. Klyamery inserted into the grooves and screwed with screws. Subsequent panels are installed in the slots of the previous ones, the procedure is repeated until the very end.
Before starting work in the corner set corner. It is attached to the frame with a construction stapler, then a panel is inserted into the part. Lining is equipped with a thin elongation - in this place brackets are installed. The next element is inserted into the groove; this is done with all the boards until the work is completed. Sometimes you want to cut the last board to fit the width of the wall.
At the last stage finishing works are done. It is recommended to cover the clapboard with a solution to protect against burnout under the action of sunlight. For these purposes, use lacquer, resistant to unstable temperature conditions, bioprotective impregnation, preventing the appearance of putrefaction and mold.Additionally, boards made of natural wood can be painted to emphasize the shade and texture of the material.
A more detailed process of finishing the balcony with clapboard can be viewed in the following video:
Wooden materials look advantageous in any room. The luxury of wood will give the balcony a touch of comfort, while the natural brown shades will act in a soothing way. The original solution will be covering the floor and walls with panels of different colors.
This will give the design of the loggia a conceptual and modern design.
More restrained in favor option with skirting contrasting shades. Details will not only hide irregularities and cracks, but also tint the color of the main coating. It is necessary to select elements that are several tones darker than the wall paneling.
You can also sheathe corners, window openings.
Fans of natural wood can go ahead and build in furniture of the same shade as the wall paneling. A table and a bench made of wood will look like a continuation of the walls. In addition, it will save space, because the furniture will be located in the corners.
Together with natural materials knitted decorative elements will look advantageous,stone ornaments.