Railings on the balconies are needed not only to prevent people from falling, but also to give the facade a beautiful and harmonious appearance. These important parts are made from different materials and have a different design. Prior to the start of direct assembly, it is necessary to study the features and characteristics of all types of railings and methods for their installation.
Features and benefits
The balcony block, equipped with beautiful railings, can effectively change the appearance of the house or make it more complete. With the help of well-chosen parts suitable for the general ensemble, you can emphasize the style of the facade.
Modern firms offer home and apartment owners options made from a variety of materials. Each individual copy has its own characteristics and distinctive characteristics.
Not to mention the safety of the balcony railing. They are able to protect people from accidental fall. This positive quality is especially important if a small child lives in the apartment.
Many people use railings as the basis for attaching flower pots or elegant flower pots with lush hanging plants. So, with the help of these elements you can create a very delicate interior in the French style.
Today, balcony railings have a diverse design. It can be timeless classics with smooth lines and minimalistic execution or luxurious baroque with its fascinating lines and interweaving. The choice of a suitable option depends on the overall look and style of the house, as well as the taste preferences of the owners.
You can install these parts yourself. For this you need to familiarize yourself with the basics of this work. If doubts are gnawing at you, and you are not confident in your capabilities, then it is better to turn to professional installers.
High-quality and durable railings are made of durable materials that do not corrode and mechanical damage.
Types of designs
Balcony fences are welded, forged or combined (mixed). Consider them in more detail.
- The most accessible and frequently encountered are welded structures. They do not differ elegant design and often have simple patterns of geometric shapes. But over time, the railings with such structures have undergone many changes. Decorative elements in them have become more complex and sophisticated, so today you can choose not only concise, but also the original version. Welded fencing in no way inferior to other types of structures. Their main advantage is durability. If you equip a territory with a parapet of high-quality material, then it will serve for at least fifty years.
- Stunning appearance possess forged designs. Such balcony fences are distinguished by their high artistic value. They are made by experienced craftsmen who approach their work creatively and as a result they get the railing of a wide variety of styles. For example, the fence in the Gothic style is equipped with a trefoil and rosettes with four petals. Byzantine style is accompanied by intricate details and elegantfloral ornaments. Fervent fences in the Russian style have beautiful patterns in the national key. Renaissance style railings are equipped with spiral details, bunches of grapes and chic flower buds. The unsurpassed Baroque style is characterized by the presence of curls and flower baskets. The rococo railing has asymmetrical elements, diluted with voluminous floral arrangements.
- Recently, fences are popular, combining several different styles at once. It is worth mentioning the spectacular French view of the balcony railing. In the old days, such railings were installed in front of the doors from the outside. There was a free space, but it was very small. Over time, these designs have changed and now they are combined with chic floor-to-ceiling glazing.
The main advantage of the French fencing is its remarkable appearance. It allows you to refuse external cladding and additional insulation of the lower part of the balcony block.
Installation of such structures does not take much time, especially if you entrust installation to professionals.In less than 4 hours everything will be ready.
Raw materials for the production of balcony railings should be as reliable and resistant to adverse environmental conditions. Let us consider in more detail the most common materials used in the manufacture of wear-resistant and durable fencing.
The most common railing of metal. For example, stainless steel has a harmonious appearance. With the help of such details you can arrange a harmonious and interesting design.
Durable parapets of a similar material may have a hollow, blown or solid inner part. The cross section of the railing can be rectangular or square. The shape is also very different: the lines can be strict and straight or elegant and curved.
Stainless steel is not afraid of bad weather conditions and temperature extremes. It keeps an attractive appearance for a long time. The railing of this material looks stylish, even if they are not treated with decorative paints.
Stone and brick fences are massive and highly resistant. Installation of such structures is difficult, but the end result is worth it.Before installing a brick railing, you must make sure that the ceiling will withstand a serious load.
The stone can be natural or artificial. For example, elements made of a concrete solution with special impurities can boast a beautiful appearance and durability.
Also, the railing can be glass and plastic. If you decide to decorate the balcony with glass fences, then it is recommended to choose options only with hot glass, as they are more durable.
These products may contain stainless steel inserts. Outwardly, they will look brittle and weightless, but this will not affect their strength. Plastic handrails have low cost. But they need to be attached to a solid metal frame.
Common today railing of wood. They can be present not only in wooden buildings, but also in brick buildings. It should be noted that similar hand-rail are not really practical and wearproof.
The tree does not tolerate temperature drops and other adverse environmental factors. It is subject to rotting, and various parasites often find their refuge there.If you decide to equip your balcony with such a fence, then you should stock up on additional funds and impregnations for wood processing.
Tips for choosing
If the technical condition of your balcony allows you to install the railing, then you should select suitable parts in accordance with the general style of the building.
If your house is too old, then it is not recommended to turn to too heavy structures, as they can cause significant damage to ceilings.
Pay attention to the height of the railing. It should not be lower than 1 - 1.2 m.
There should be no more than 12 cm between vertical bars.
If there is a child in the house, then it is better to turn to the higher railing.
High-quality and reliable fencing should easily withstand heavy loads. This applies not only to the weight of people, but also to the winds acting on the structure outside.
Corrosion and other similar damage should not be visible on the railing surface.
If you decide to decorate a balcony or a loggia with a fencing with artistic forging, it is better to abandon the options with sharp details.
The way the railing is installed is affected by the material.What remains unchanged is that there should be a solid foundation under any fence. You can make it by attaching to the outer perimeter of the concrete ceiling profile of a metal of large cross section. Attach these structures with anchor bolts.
The upper part of the side rail parts is also installed using anchor bolts. Initially, it is necessary to assemble the fence from one edge and follow further along the perimeter of the ceiling. The first racks are attached and fixed first, after which the railings are installed.
The final stage will be sewing the walls of the fence. It is necessary for the installation of prefabricated railings made of wood or stainless steel.
How to install the railing on the balcony independently, see more in the video below.
If you purchased a wrought-iron parapet, then you need to install it differently. Such specimens are solid structures, so they are often welded to a strong metal profile or attached to it with bolts.
Side elements are attached to the building through mortgages, to which fences are welded or screwed.
How to install forged fencing, see the video below.
Interesting design solutions
Let's take a closer look at a few beautiful and attractive balcony rooms, complete with railings.
- A chic balcony in a building decorated with white plaster can be decorated with black wrought iron fencing with stone or brick sidewalls, also treated with light coatings. On such a background, small street lamps of black color in retro style will harmoniously look.
- A small open balcony can be decorated with simple black stainless steel railings. They will be combined with calm beige walls and glazed windows with white plastic frames. The ensemble will be neat and discreet.
- Wooden railings will look very impressive on a small balcony with tall and narrow windows, as well as wooden frames against white or cream walls.
- Against the background of red and yellow bricks, black wrought iron railings with raised sections look great. They can be supplemented with pots or pots with colorful plants.
- Unpainted stainless steel railings will be combined with minimalist balconies.They can be supplemented with buildings that have a simple and unobtrusive appearance. Soften coarse ensemble can be a beautiful laminate or eurolining.