How to make shelves on the balcony?
The balcony is an additional space in the house that can be used for different purposes. One way to increase the usable area is to install several shelves. Everything can be placed on them: flowers, old things, home-made conservation, etc., and also used as a tabletop.
Balcony shelves can be used to solve various problems, which leads to the appearance of many types of such structures.
Depending on the mounting method, they can be divided into several categories:
- Removable design. This type of shelf is installed on special supports. So that the product can withstand the load, it is made of durable materials (board, metal, etc.).
- Folding shelves.Products are equipped with special fasteners, which allows them to shift relative to the vertical. Perfect for small balconies, as they take up little space and are used only when needed.
- Floor systems. These designs resemble a small shelving that is installed vertically along the wall. Experts recommend installing them in elongated balconies or loggias.
- Fixed shelves. This model is characterized by the presence of special fasteners that protect the product from displacement. Shelves of this type are used most often for the storage of heavy products.
- Suspended structures. These shelves are attached directly to the wall, which allows you to install them anywhere. The size of the products can also be selected depending on the area of the balcony.
In appearance, these products can be divided into several categories:
- Corner shelves fit perfectly into the interior, without taking up much space.
- Straight designs. This type of shelves is the simplest and most common.
- Figured products are used to decorate the balcony. The shape and size may vary according to the designer’s imagination.
- Closed or open type. Shelves of this type are varieties of shelves or small cabinets.
- Combined shelves. In their manufacture using several approaches and materials, which allows to obtain very interesting solutions.
By purpose, the balcony shelves are divided into the following types:
- Book Used on warm balconies, which turned into a small living room.
- Shoe. The structures are characterized by a small height with a large number of partitions. They allow you to keep shoes that you do not often wear.
- Universal shelves are practical, which allows you to place anything on them: from cans to fishing gear.
- Decorative designs. These products are performed in the original design, which allows you to decorate the balcony.
Balcony shelves are a universal attribute that must not only withstand great weight, but also accommodate the maximum number of objects.
As materials for their manufacture use:
- Tree. The board is durable and durable, but it also needs extra care.Many craftsmen make shelves from lining, which perfectly withstands heavy loads. To protect the surface from destruction, it is desirable to cover wooden shelves with paint and varnish solutions. Please note that with these tools you can create a unique design of the whole structure.
- Metal. Today in the market it is possible to find shelves, both from steel, and aluminum. This product is durable and durable. In most cases, only frames are made of metal, to which the shelves of other materials are then attached.
- Plastic. It is durable and relatively cheap, has a unique design that can be chosen for any interior. Plastic easily resists various external stimuli.
- Chipboard. Shelves of this substance are characterized by originality. The strength of the partition depends on its size and the number of fasteners. It is not recommended to make long shelves from chipboard without additional vertical supports - with a large load, the products simply break.
- Glass shelves. As a base material, only special types of this product are used, which can withstand considerable loads.One of the drawbacks of such shelves is the complexity of their fixation.
- Combined products. To highlight the shelves, many experts use several materials that combine together.
Required tools and parts
Balcony shelves are very simple designs that are often made by many on their own.
To perform such work should stock up on such tools:
- jigsaw. It is often used only for processing wood or chipboard;
- saw. Depending on the material chosen, you may need a tool, both for wood and for metal;
- drill (screwdriver), drills and a set of nozzles. With its help, holes for fasteners are formed or their immediate fixation is performed;
- pencil, ruler, level and other auxiliary devices.
To form the shelves you need to purchase:
- The material from which the shelves will be made. The most common is read board or laminated chipboard. You can work with them even without special skills. If you want to make an original design, you can use several materials.
- Fasteners.The type of these elements depends on the previously selected material. If you prefer wood, then you will need screws, confirmatics, plastic or metal corners. To work with metal, you can use bolts, nuts or special screws. Sometimes the construction of iron can be simply welded.
Tips from the masters
Shelves on the balcony - not only a unique interior, but also practical design. Therefore, they must meet the requirements of the owner.
In the manufacture of shelves should take into account several recommendations:
- Designs are desirable to make a small size. But it is important to take into account the dimensions of the objects that will be placed on them.
- Installed shelves should not obscure the balcony. It is important that they do not close the windows, while allowing you to conveniently move in the room.
- Shelf material must be appropriate for the intended load. It is also desirable to take into account such factors as humidity and temperature differences. It depends on how long the material will last.
- Before starting work, be sure to calculate all the parameters of the shelves, taking into account the dimensions of the balcony.Therefore, experts recommend creating several drawings on which to put all the specific data.
- The style of the shelves is selected for the design of the balcony. Often this involves choosing paint or changing the shape of the structure.
- You need to use only high-quality fasteners. To enhance the design, use additional corners, which will extend the service life of the product.
How to do it yourself?
The technology of making shelves depends on their type.
Simple suspension structures are obtained in just several successive stages:
- First of all, you need to cut the base of the shelves from the board or sheet of chipboard. Their size and shape depends on your desire. The simplest option would be a regular rectangle.
- After that, two metal corners are fastened to them from one of the sides. Please note that the length of one of its sides should be approximately equal to the width of the board. You can buy such fasteners in the store or make yourself.
- At this stage, the resulting structure is attached directly to the wall. To do this, use screws or dowels. It is important to pre-set the surface of the shelf horizontally in order to prevent objects falling on them.
Similarly, several shelves can be formed.
If you want to get a more complex structure, then you can knock down a small box with several horizontal jumpers. Then it is fixed similarly, only by applying more fasteners.
One of the types of shelves is the design in the form of a rack. Install it in one of the corners of the balcony.
The process of manufacturing the rack can be described in several steps:
- Of the 4 wooden bars form two pairs of racks. Care should be taken that they are strictly vertical. Between themselves, all the supports are connected by bars with the help of corners or screws. Ideally, you should get a kind of box.
- The support bars are fastened along the entire length of the bars. They should be located on the same level, as the regiment will rely on them.
- After that, the back of the rack is sheathed with a thin sheet of chipboard or plywood.
- At this stage, the shelves are made according to the specific dimensions of the structure. After that, they are attached to the frame with screws.
- Completes the process of painting the product.
Using a similar algorithm of work, you can make shelves, even from metal. Only for this you need the skills to work with a drill and welding machine.
Ideas in the interior
When creating shelves, there are practically no restrictions for creativity. On the balcony you can install everything from the most simple systems to complex figured designs. Many owners complement the shelves with carvings, as well as equip the backlight.
Suspended designs in the form of small cells beautifully look. They do not use rectangular shapes, but adapt them to the general style. The original will look like glass shelves that visually increase the space.