Rack on the balcony do it yourself
Furniture for the balcony should be practical and compact. These requirements also apply to shelving, in addition, they must comply with the aesthetic preferences of the owner. You can make a piece of furniture yourself, spending a minimum of effort and money.
Features and benefits
The rack is a functional piece of furniture that allows you to place your home library, tools or dishes on the loggia. The main advantage of the cabinet located on the balcony is the opportunity to unload the apartment from unnecessary items. In addition, beautiful furniture will decorate the interior, giving the room coziness.
What role does the rack on the balcony:
- It helps to maintain order on the loggia;
- Allows you to place flower pots or seedlings;
- Used as a closet;
- Can be used as part of a kitchen unit;
- Suitable for storing seasonal items.
When the furniture is made by hand, it is possible to track the process of its creation from beginning to end. So the owner of the apartment will be confident in the quality of the assembled rack, if necessary, will be able to upgrade it or repair it in case of breakage. The advantages of a self-made cabinet are also the possibility to choose any materials and dimensions.
Choosing a closet, consider it: purpose, the presence of niches and glazing on the balcony, the width of the loggia. These criteria will make the rack of the desired size, characterized by maximum functionality. Depending on the design features there are several models:
- Built in. Rack equipped with mounted shelves. It is mainly installed on those balconies where there are niches. The model allows the most efficient use of available space. Shelf width will be limited by the size of the niche.
- Angular. Corner cupboard is attached to the wall on both sides.Brackets are used as mounting elements. The advantage of the model is capacity and compactness. The model will take less space, will not block the passage.
- Open. The rack deprived of doors is established at a wall and can be any height and width. The model is well suited for storing seedlings, as the plants will have plenty of sunlight. If you do it in the form of hanging shelves, there will be a space for storing dimensional items at the bottom. In particular, a bicycle can fit under the closet.
- Closed. Model with doors. In such a rack store items that must be kept in a dark place, as well as things that the owner of the balcony wants to hide from prying eyes. The doors can be located along the entire height of the cabinet or close only a few shelves. When choosing such furniture, it is important to leave space for the smooth opening of the rack.
When developing a rack plan, one of the primary tasks is choosing the right material. They differ from each other in cost, performance and appearance.
What racks are made of:
- Wood. Environmentally friendly material that does not emit harmful substances into the air is resistant to temperature extremes and high humidity. Excellent external characteristics allow you to place wooden furniture in almost any interior. To extend the life of the shelves of wood, they are recommended to cover with special antiseptic solutions.
- Particleboard, fiberboard and OSB. Plates are used for the manufacture of shelves. It’s easy to work with materials, they have little cost. Before using the edges of the plates covered with a solution to prevent rotting and fungus. Building materials are not suitable for open loggias, since they are unstable to moisture and may swell after rain or snowfall.
- Metal. Durability and wear resistance - the main characteristics of the material. The durability of metal shelving is achieved due to the presence of anti-corrosion coating. For the manufacture of furniture choose aluminum and galvanized materials. Such a rack is more expensive, however, its service life will be longer. The piece of furniture will be indispensable for storing heavy items, such as tools.
- Plastic. Lightweight material that is not afraid of moisture and extreme temperatures. A variety of colors and textures allows you to choose plastic elements for any interior. In the role of shelves can also be used plastic window sills.
- Shock resistant glass. Shelves made of this material look stylish and are suitable for the realization of bold design ideas. Glass is not afraid of exposure to sunlight and high temperatures. To create cabinets, a special strong glass is taken that is difficult to break. However, it requires careful regular maintenance and is quite expensive.
- Combination of materials. When creating furniture, you can combine different types of materials. The wooden frame will look good with glass shelves, and metal parts can be combined with plastic elements.
Universal wooden furniture: it is suitable for both classical and country-style interiors and Provence. Glass will be the basis for creating an ultramodern wardrobe, and plastic furniture will attract with its practicality and ease of care.
How to do?
Design the simplest racks is not difficult.You can come up with your own design from scratch or use ready-made drawings and diagrams, selecting them for a specific idea.
Furniture is created in several stages. First of all, a drawing is made on paper, taking into account the functional features of the future rack. The diagram shows the height and width of the cabinet, the depth and height of the shelves, the attachment points for the brackets.
- A place is chosen where the rack will stand;
- Extra rubbish is removed from the balcony, space is made under the shelving;
- If wood parts are used, they must be treated with special solutions;
- The bars are screwed to the wall, dowels and screws are used as fasteners;
- Shelves are installed on the uneven bars.
If the rack structure includes doors, they are attached separately. Details are of two types: swing and folding. The first ones are made of plywood and wooden planks, and then screwed with the help of loops. If necessary, you can add a latch or magnets. Folding doors are made of several slats connected by hinges.
You can visually see the process of making the rack with your own hands in the video below:
Beautiful design ideas
Minimalistic racks with a minimum of parts are versatile: they can be placed in almost any interior. If the owner of the balcony wants to create a unique, eye-catching interior, he can opt for furniture of unusual design. Gardeners will love shelves with pots in the shelves. The solution not only looks original, but is also characterized by high functionality.
Models with asymmetrical shelves - an option for those who wish to furnish a loggia in a modern style. You can choose materials of bright colors, play with contrasts, place souvenirs, books, frames with photos or decorative elements on the shelves. Such furniture will look advantageous with motley walls.
A narrow rack mounted in the wall will be appropriate in a limited space, when every centimeter counts. The choice of wood as a material will give the model a concept and deliberate simplicity.
The original solution will be a rack constructed of square cubes attached to the wall. The alternation of open and closed shelves will create the illusion of a chess pattern.There are statues, flowers, table clocks, small candlesticks. And behind the doors you can hide items that are not used every day.