Winter garden in the apartment: conditions and features of arrangement
Many amateur gardeners and professionals more than once think about arranging an evergreen garden in their apartment. Often such a winter garden is done on the balcony, because there you can create the optimum temperature for indoor plants at any time of the year. Flowers are always an amazing decoration of any home interior, because indoors they create a special atmosphere of comfort. About what conditions are needed to create a green paradise in your apartment, and what is important to consider, will be discussed in this article. In addition, you will learn about some of the features of green oases that you should pay attention to when setting up a decorative garden in the apartment.
Create it yourself
To form a winter greenhouse in your apartment you can easily and with the help of specialists, the main thing is to take into account some features and nuances. In order for the future greenhouse to please you for many years, it is very important to properly equip it.
It is necessary to pay special attention to the following important points.
- Proper and high-quality glazing (especially if you are doing a winter garden on the balcony. Plastic windows, of course, are considered reliable, but sometimes they should be further warmed).
- Warming of the room.
- Isolation from third-party moisture.
- Internal suitable decoration for certain types of plants.
Do not forget that for plants it is very important to ensure proper lighting. This may be special fitolampy, and ultraviolet, and ordinary lamps. Everything will depend on what you are going to grow and what time of year. Of course, that specialized lamps for greenhouses are much better than usual, because only they can fully compensate for the balance of the lack of natural lighting for certain plant species. However, it is possible that shade-loving flowers will sprout in your oasis.
Most often, winter gardens in apartments are arranged on loggias, balconies and roofs. Only in very rare cases for them allocate a separate living room. Mini-gardens look especially advantageous if there is an opportunity to create a panoramic view. When creating a greenhouse do not forget about the correct ventilation system, which will also depend on the general condition of all plants. If the area of the room allows, then be sure to install in it special air humidifiers that have a positive effect on the health of plants.
When reworking a balcony for a winter garden, it is preferable to choose natural materials for finishing this room. Plastic, of course, is easy to maintain, but nothing can replace natural stone and wood.
Where better to arrange?
The balcony and loggia are considered excellent options for arranging the winter garden.
- For glazing rooms for a winter garden, it is best to purchase special two-chamber double-glazed windows, which not only keep warm inside the winter garden, but also allow a sufficient amount of light, which is so necessary for most plants.
- The quality of lighting is best to choose diffused light, which covers a large area of the room. Such a main light can be supplemented with a point. In order to have a maximum of natural light in a room, one should, if possible, choose a room with windows facing the west or east for the winter garden.
- Warming of a balcony or loggia should be carried out with the help of high-quality sealants that do not allow cold air from outside. Particular attention should be paid to all the seams and joints on the walls. All materials for winter garden insulation should be dry, as they can protect the premises from moisture as much as possible. It is good if heating is installed in this room, which can be regulated.
- We should not forget about the temperature regime that is comfortable for flowers. Often, experts recommend to withstand temperatures from 17 to 25 degrees Celsius. This temperature is considered optimal for the normal growth of indoor flowers and plants. To constantly monitor the temperature, especially if the loggia is heated, you should hang a special room thermometer.
- Do not forget about humidity, which, just like light and temperature, plays an important role in the winter garden. It is also possible to humidify the air and flowers manually, using various sprayers and sprayers. Good to install special devices. Often, to add moisture to the pans with flowers, pour gravel into it, filling it with water.
- Important and properly created ventilation system. The so-called greenhouse effect should be avoided, for this it is necessary to regularly ventilate the room. The air in the home winter garden should go in from the bottom, and rise and go up. And also in the winter garden you can arrange a suitable air conditioner.
Summing up, we can safely say that only a combination of all the above conditions and their observance will help you to recreate a high-quality and beautiful winter garden right in your apartment. If you are not very sure that you will cope with this issue, it is best to get more detailed information on this topic in the relevant gardening publications. Or use the services of proven experts who can easily find a solution to your problem.
If you want to have an evergreen greenhouse, give preference to plant species that do not shed their leaves during the autumn season, as well as to options that are not particularly capricious in caring. Different palm trees are always in fashion. If you are not able to choose the flowers and plants for your winter garden, you can contact professional gardeners for help. They will certainly be able to advise you on the options that will please you all year round.
For the uniqueness of the apartment greenhouse can be collected in it several species of plants. It can be tropical and exotic options, and subtropical, as well as simple home flowers from the perennial family. To diversify your winter garden, be sure to look at the unusual and original pots. Especially for the variants of handmade clay. They will certainly attract a lot of attention and will delight you every day. In addition, they are very durable.
For a change in your winter garden, you can install decorative animal figurines or artificial trees in it. If you want to save as much space as possible in the winter garden, pay attention to the special hanging racks, on which plants can also be installed with great savings in space.
Many flower growers, wanting to create an unusual winter garden with their own hands, are immediately looking for strange foreign plants. But experts recommend not to hurry with the choice, since such flowers require special attention and very often it is quite difficult to care for them at home.
The most popular and unpretentious options are the following plants that are most popular among amateur gardeners:
- annuals: petunias, pelargoniums, eustomas, torenia;
- perennials: succulents and cacti, the second bloom rarely, but very unpretentious in the care and watering.
Such a popular and evergreen flower as anthurium looks very beautiful. Its red flowers always look elegant. Many know the ever flowering plant called begonia. She comes in different types and colors. Always relevant not only among novice gardeners, but also among professionals. No less popular are indoor violets, which today are a wide variety of varieties. They will easily fit into your winter garden and will delight you for a long time with their luxurious flowering.
Problem growing orchids and fuchsias. Both insects (whiteflies and scale insects) can “attack” both on the first and the second, as a result of which plants will have to be regularly treated with special means so that the whole garden will not “get sick”. Nevertheless, such handsome men can certainly become the highlight of your apartment garden.
Often in the winter garden, many grow lemon trees, from which you can safely collect useful fruits.
Be sure to pay attention to the following. indoor flowers, which definitely can be an addition to your apartment winter greenhouse:
- azaleas (rhododendrons);
- homemade daffodils;
To make your garden truly unique, the list of plants that will grow in it should be thought out as soon as possible. A real oasis in an apartment building can delight you and members of the whole family for many years, especially with the right creation and further care of it.
If the area of your loggia or balcony leaves much to be desired, be sure to pay attention to the so-called vertical gardens.
Make them easy, even yourself.In the respective stores you can buy ready-made designs with the necessary frames. Such winter greenhouses look very impressive. A vertical winter garden does not mean at all that all the plants in it will be planted vertically. As a rule, this is a garden in which flowers are picked up with similar living conditions. Vertical gardens are formed with the help of special wall structures, which not only save space, but also look very modern.
The carpet garden design looks very unusual.in which plants are arranged in the form of a so-called canvas. A green carpet, for example, from living stones or succulents will always attract special attention. In addition, these plants are very useful, they perfectly purify the air.
Beautiful decoration of the home garden on the balcony can also be supplemented with decorative furniture, for example, made of artificial rattan. Indoor flowers can be in hanging pots and in outdoor pots. Waving plants will look very beneficial, with the help of which you can create a real living corner.
Especially beautiful looks garden design, which uses masonry of natural stone. With a stone, a wall or floor can be laid. If your small garden allows you to place in it a small pond or fountain, then this will also be a big plus. After all, these decorations look fresh and unbanal. Any compositions with water are not only beautiful decorative objects, but also useful air humidifiers.
The winter garden in the apartment is a real summer fairytale with green plants, which can please all year round. Flowers in fancy pots, a beautiful and landscaped nook of plants, a convenient place to rest and an unusual fountain - all this can become part of a paradise right in your apartment.
For more inspiration, pay attention to the photo gallery of winter greenhouses, unusual options for arranging the winter garden.
How to make a winter garden in the apartment with your own hands, see the following video.