What are the clamps for the door?
The operation of the door leaf involves the frequent movement of the sash. This phenomenon can cause many inconveniences. There are several ways to deal with this problem. Before you choose one of the options, you should find out why you need the door latches.
What is it and why?
The door fixers are devices that are installed on or near the door leaf in order to limit its movement in a certain direction. Structurally, these elements can be different, as their design depends on the destination.
The simplest example is a conventional rod, which is inserted into the floor in the path of movement of the door. He allowed her to open only at a certain angle.Door stoppers are used for various tasks:
- Protection against injury. The main purpose of the holders is to protect the person from accidental slamming of the doors. This is especially if there are small children in the house who will not be able to open the canvas from the inside if it accidentally closes. They also protect the incoming person from accidental strikes. This can happen due to the fact that someone from inside will abruptly open the door or the canvases will simply begin to move under the influence of a draft.
Such mechanisms are great for interior design.
- Protect furniture from damage. Very often, a wardrobe, bedside table or mirror can be placed in the doorway. If it is thrown open, a blow can destroy the structure or simply damage the decorative layer. Therefore, it is better to install the lock and forget about this phenomenon.
- Door hardware protection. If the doors are opened at the maximum angle, then this will proportionally increase the load on the hinges, so many install limiters so as not to think about this phenomenon and keep the furniture for a long time.
Technically, latches are small structures that can be installed under a door or on a door to restrict its movement.
Depending on the location, there are several types of limiters:
- Wall mounted. Install them directly on the wall in order to avoid knocking doors on it.
- Outdoor. Constructions of this type are special wedges that prevent the movement of the web. With their help, you can install the door in almost any position.
- Supra. These mechanisms allow you to limit the course of the leaf, as well as smoothly return it to the closed position.
- Opening limiters. These systems do not allow doors to swing open without authorization.
Clamps for locking the door can be divided into the following types:
- Roller. Such a product is a small keg, which when closing the door falls into a special groove and does not allow it to move back. This ball system is fixed by means of a spring mechanism.
- Falevy. This type of limiters is very similar to the previous model, but here they use a special oblique tongue instead of a cylinder.
- Magnetic. Modern modifications that are installed on plastic or glass doors.
- Latch. This is the oldest retainer that has been used by man for a very long time.It consists of a locking element in the form of a hook attached to the wall. To limit the movement of this hook just clings to the handle or other special device on the canvas.
All these types of clamps are furniture in turn. They can also be used for installation on a compartment door.
Floor limiters are of several types:
- Magnetic. These products are special blocks with a built-in magnet. At the same time on the door leaf set metal insert, which interacts with the floor system. Such constructions may be portable or stationary.
- Limiters. The simplest products that are installed in the door's motion path. They do not allow it to open further than the installed structure. But while the usual limiters do not hold the canvas, so it can voluntarily move in the opposite direction.
- Wedges. This latch is a portable type. To fix the blade, simply insert a wedge under the door. The simplest version of the product, which can be made independently, cut out of wood or cut out of thick rubber.
- Legs. This limiter is equipped with two supports that are mounted on the bottom of the door. When opening the canvas, they are constantly pressed to the floor, therefore, when the system is stopped, they fix it and do not allow to move in any direction.
As for wall models, they are systems that can limit both opening and closing doors.
Conditionally similar structures can be divided into the following types:
- Limiters mounted directly on the wall. Externally, they can be of various shapes and sizes. They are made of soft materials so that the structure does not damage the door leaf when struck.
- The clamps mounted on platbands. These products can change their position in such a way that in one of them the doors will close and in the other they limit the course of the system.
Naddverny models of latches are elements that are mounted on top of the door. The easiest option is a rubber band in the form of a letter C, which can be put on the upper end.
There are also special pedal stops that allow stopping the canvas in any position.To continue, you will need to act on the pedal, which will release the lock.
Feature of the clamps for the door is their original design. Today, manufacturers produce many varieties of such products. On the market you can find designs in the form of goat legs or legs of the animal. Of particular popularity among naddverny clips have products in the form of a horseshoe. The selection of these products is very large. You can purchase a design in the form of a small animal (rabbit, mouse, etc.), an unusual doll or car.
There are also non-standard modifications in which design is associated with abstraction and is not associated with household objects or animals. Pick up the details for the design features of the room, taking into account also the tastes of the inhabitants of the house.
The quality of the fixer depends not only on its design, but also on the material from which it is made.
Today they are obtained from several types of substances:
- aluminum and steel;
Sometimes products can be decorated with wooden inserts, but this material is not the main one.For wooden doors, experts recommend using steel or aluminum stoppers (floor standing), which are protected by rubber inserts. When you need to choose a device for mounting on the wall, then the best option would be silicone counterparts. This substance is not only soft, but practically does not damage the structure of the canvas.
If you need to install the retainer in the bathroom, then give preference to magnetic counterparts. It is important that these devices are hidden in a plastic case that will not allow moisture to get inside and corrode the metal.
For glass doors, special furniture restraints should be used. They will not allow the structure to break when plowing. Today, these structures are represented by special mechanical latches and magnetic stoppers. At the same time, it will be possible to release the canvas only by turning the special element.
Today, almost all types of clamps are equipped with special holes for fasteners. This greatly simplifies their installation and makes it possible to perform it yourself.
When installing wall stoppers, you should follow a few simple recommendations:
- The device must be mounted as close as possible to the end of the door leaf. This will prevent damage to it with frequent shocks.
- Do not attach the system opposite the hinges, as this may affect their functionality.
- Be sure to consider the dimensions of the handle. It is important that it does not hit the wall after installing the lock.
Installation of floor limiters also has its own nuances:
- Choosing a place on the floor under the latch, you need to consider the length of the handle, so be sure to compare these values when choosing a device location point.
- The clamp also needs to be installed closer to the end. If this is not done, then over time the door simply deforms and loses its decorative properties. In some cases, it can skew, and it will cease to fit in the box.
- Position the stoppers so that the width of the passage remains maximum. This will allow you to get maximum comfort by reducing the chance of injury from an accidental impact.
The fastening algorithm of such clamps is quite simple and consists of the following steps:
- Initially, you need to decide on its location. After that, with the help of a pencil, you should mark the points under the mounting holes.
- In the marked places you need to drill holes under the dowel. When everything is ready, the latches are simply screwed to the floor or wall with screws. Note that if one of the surfaces is wooden, then it is possible to fix the limiters immediately without the formation of holes.
Examples in the interior
Of course, you can use the usual fixture made of wood or plastic, but it is much better to use something more original! Many will like the clamps in the form of animal figures - they look cute and can be a great addition to the interior. The original retainer in the form of a woman's legs in a striped stocking and a red shoe is likely to appeal to people with a good sense of humor. It’s not every person who can afford to hold the door with an ingot of gold or a bundle of money, but thanks to the savvy producers, it is available to everyone, even the not-too-rich homeowner!
For information on how to make a simple lock for the door with your own hands, see this video.