Tips for choosing door hardware
Any entrance or interroom door cannot do without additional accessories - locks, loops, and also handles and closers. At the same time, the functionality of the door is greatly influenced not only by the material from which all these elements are made, but also by their technical features.
Rather high demands are made on the quality and practicality of fittings, it should also be attractive in appearance and in harmony with the general stylistic decision of the interior.
Door accessories is a set of special accessories, without which the normal functioning of the door leaf is unrealistic in principle.In addition, these beautiful elements can become stylish accents and a boon of the design concept of the room. Let us dwell on the main types of fittings that are used for wooden and iron doors.
These elements are necessary so that the door can be easily and simply opened and closed. Consider the most popular models.
- Push - they are directly connected with the latch, so they are quite simple to operate: in order to open the door, you just need to press a button.
- Swivel - They are also called nobs, such handles, as a rule, have the shape of a cone or cylinder. To open the door with a similar handle, it must be cranked. Usually there is a hole for a key or a small button on the back side, thanks to which the door mechanism can always be locked, this is especially true when it comes to the door in the bathroom or shower room.
- Stationary - The most standard types of pens that are not related to the lock. To open such a door, you need to push the handle, and to close it - pull it towards yourself. These models can have a wide variety of shapes and can be made of metals, alloys, wood, glass or plastic.
Stationary handles are usually not only accessories, but also a stylish accessory that emphasizes the thoughtfulness of the interior, so most often they are mounted on the doors to the living room or nursery. But for the bedrooms and sanitary rooms they are not suitable, because they do not protect the room from visitors who came at the wrong time.
These accessories are used to fix the door leaf in the closed position. They are mounted in the end of the canvas, when closing the device, the latch enters a special groove that cuts into the box, and thus the door is kept from unauthorized plowing on the reverse side. Latches are available in different masses and dimensions, and in each case, the mechanism is selected individually.
Hinges are considered one of the most important door elements. They are designed to ensure that the canvas could move smoothly and as silently as possible. Depending on the design of the loops, there are several types:
- detachable - allow you to quickly and easily remove the door;
- one-piece - can be used on any models of interior doors - both right-and left-handed, howeverthe canvas is really removed only after dismantling such loops.
By type of design door hinges are divided into:
- card - this is a variant of the loops, which are a pair of small plates fixed on one axis;
- pins - consist of 2 paired parts with a pin with threads attached to them;
- secret - they are also known as hidden, are characterized by a hinge device and "sink" in the canvas, making it almost imperceptible, especially if they are masked with stylish lining in tone with the canvas.
When acquiring hinges, it is very important to take into account the size and weight of the door leaf itself: if its weight is greater than that which the hinges can withstand, then soon they will begin to sag and the door cannot close properly.
The lock is the most important element of the door construction hardware that protects the door from uninvited guests and unauthorized entry. Requirements for the quality of such devices largely depend on where the door is installed. For example, the lock at the entrance should be as reliable as possible, since it is the main “talisman” of the dwelling.
And in the interior doors of the most simple and simple mechanisms, the only exceptions are, perhaps, only the doors of the cabinets, where there are safes, expensive collections or any confidential information.
These are additional elements that are installed in order to securely lock the doors in the open state, and, in addition, so that the handle cannot damage the interior decoration items and furniture located next to the door. Usually, the need for such accessories arises in families where children live, because such a mechanism does not allow the door to slam and squeeze the fingers of the crumbs.
If there are pets in the apartment, and the owners like to keep the windows and windows open, you should also take care to install these elements, because with a strong draft the door can slam and cause serious harm to the animal if it crossed the room threshold at that moment. Limiters can be installed both on the door itself and on the floor, less often there are models fixed on the wall. Such fittings can be magnetic or mechanical,also distinguish stationary and portable species.
These are special structural elements, thanks to which the door closes quietly, smoothly and very gently. In the old days, they were used only in office rooms; however, today, industrial enterprises have established the production of miniature models that are optimal for residential premises.
- sliding with gear of the sliding or gear type;
- hidden - in this case, they simply crash into the body of the canvas or box;
- outdoor - are fixed on the pendulum doors and therefore are rarely used in apartments;
- built-in hinges - a device that involves connecting the hinges and the door closer in a single mechanism, does not differ in appearance from the door hinges, but acts as closers, they are optimal for lightweight structures.
Separate versions of door closers for swing constructions have the peculiarity of fixing the door in different positions, due to which it is not necessary to install a lock and a latch simultaneously with them. In addition, in most modern models there is an option to adjust the force that must be applied to close the sash.
All types of fittings must necessarily be of high quality, since they cause a longer period of use of the door and contribute to creating the most safe and comfortable living conditions and, in particular, using the door.
The modern market of door accessories offers products from a variety of manufacturers. Let us dwell on the most popular brands.
- AGB. This is an Italian company that has established itself as one of the leaders in its segment. The assortment list of the manufacturer includes not only door, but also window accessories, as well as blinds. The company has been manufacturing products for more than six decades and during this time has managed to gain recognition and trust from customers all over the world.
Today, the company AGB is engaged in the manufacture of door locks, hinges, as well as gate valves and various other accessories. All products are created only at production facilities located in Italy itself, which distinguishes this company from many others, in which most of the work is carried out in China, Malaysia and other eastern countries.The holding has a certificate of compliance with ISO 2001, which is another proof of the highest product quality and reasonableness of the organization’s management.
- "Tiara". This is a Russian manufacturer, which exists on the market for about two decades. All products are sold under the brand "Guardian" and in their level in no way inferior to Western counterparts.
The production technology is based on the principles of stable quality improvement, compliance with the changing demand of the population and the release of durable and functional accessories. The assortment list of the company has a huge number of models of accessories - handles, door closers, hinges, locks, linings, as well as blanks for keys
- Mandelli. This is another world-famous Italian brand, which has received mass recognition due to its exceptional quality and unique design. Enterprise designers are tirelessly working to increase the aesthetic appeal of their products, therefore, with the release of each new collection, the number of exclusive products that can truly decorate any interior increases.All products are classified as elite, however, and the price tag on it is appropriate.
- Archie. Many believe that all products made in China are low-end products with a rather short lifespan. Far from it, Archie's door hardware is an example. Chinese specialists use only the most advanced equipment in production and offer a very wide range of products, which, at reasonable prices, makes customers increasingly choose this particular brand.
The company produces all types of fittings, however, the door handles of this brand have received the greatest fame: no other company has such a large selection of these elements. Despite the fact that the manufacturer is localized in an eastern country, the quality level fully complies with European criteria and therefore is considered the highest.
- Mottura. Another Italian company that operates in the very center of the industrial part of the country is in Turin. The company differs in that it uses the latest technologies in its work, which are most often developed by employees of this particular group.This approach, focused on the daily improvement of the quality of products, and allowed the brand to gain a foothold in the position of one of the world market leaders in its segment.
Also in our country are popular products from Finnish manufacturers.
How to choose?
Fittings are usually not supplied with the door leaf, therefore it should be purchased separately. The quality of products depends on the materials from which they were made. Most often, accessories are made of solid brass, stainless steel, alloys of zinc and aluminum or plastic. Experts recommend purchasing power components (such as locks, door hinges and closers) made of steel and brass, and all other parts can be anything, even plastic.
In addition to the material of execution, the type of coating of door leaf elements also differs. Depending on the type of surface treatment emit:
- powder painted products.
The fittings differ in their appearance. So, the products created for interior doors are much easier, sleeker and more stylish than the mechanisms intended for entrance analogues.For interior doors, you can even use forged fittings that fit perfectly into a classic or romantic interior design.
When buying, you should take into account such factors:
- dimensions of the canvas itself;
- the material from which the door is made;
- ease of use;
- resistance to corrosion and mechanical damage;
- Aesthetic design and compatibility with the interior of the room.
Traditionally, accessories are bought separately, so it is necessary to think over its design in advance. It is very important that all elements (handles, hinges, locks and latches, limiters and other structures) are made in the same style and shade.
Should pay attention to the functionality. If you, for example, buy a lock, then it matters where you plan to attach it: locks for balcony doors are not suitable for interior doors, and even more so for entrance doors, and the barn suspended ones will have a special design that will not be suitable for any other the doors.
How to install?
In order to install the necessary door hardware, need a special working inventory - tool:
- screwdriver or screwdriver;
- manual mill;
The most important stage of the installation of any door hardware is the installation of the lock, as well as hinges and the door handle. The work is considered to be done in proper quality, if the hinges and all necessary strips are fixed at the same level with the surface of the door itself. To make the installation correctly, you should as accurately as possible prepare the space for all elements, the allowable gap in accordance with the standards does not exceed 1 mm. Usually a hand mill is used for this type of work, in the absence of such a simple chisel and a hammer will fit.
When mounting loops actions are carried out in the following sequence.
- To begin with, the determination of the area for fixing the loops. Standardly, they are placed in 25-35 cm from the very top and the lowest part; loops in the specified places should be attached to the necessary places and cut around.
- In the marked areas using a chisel and a small hammer, it is necessary to make extremely careful cutting of the wood to the desired depth, which should be equal to the thickness of the prepared loop.
- When all areas are ready, it is necessary to fix the loops on them and attach them with ordinary screws.
- If all actions are performed correctly, the doors will open smoothly and fairly silently, and the clearance along the common contour will not exceed 2-5 mm.
When installing the lock and handle, the procedure is slightly different.
- Usually they are fixed at a height of 95-100 cm from the floor. In the desired place make the markup with a pencil, and then at the end of the door leaf form small grooves for the installation of the side strip constipation. To do this, the drill creates several holes at the desired depth, and then removes all the wood. Here you can also use a chisel.
- On the front side of the door, holes are formed for fixing the handle and fixing the keyhole; to do this, a circular drill will be required.
- In advance prepared holes insert the locking mechanism and fix it with hardware. Then the larva of the lock is fastened directly, as well as the rod and handles on all sides and secured with protective decorative overlays.
Works on fastening hardware do not require special skills and professional tools, the one that is in the arsenal of any home craftsman will do quite well, and even a person with a minimal understanding of the technological features of door designs can cope with the installation.
How to adjust?
The performance of the door hardware should be checked from time to time, because it is much easier to eliminate the problems that arise than to replace the elements in the event of their final failure. As a rule, any troubles are associated with one of the following problems:
- violation of the loop;
- strong hinge loops - if you need to raise them to the level of the door leaf, you need to remove it and fix the plate of the desired size from the bottom;
- protruding hinges - in this situation, the door will not be able to close tightly enough, so it is best to unscrew all the hinges and then deepen their seating areas;
- squeak - as you know, all the dust accumulates in the hinges, as well as debris, because of this, corrosion processes can begin, in which case special lubricants should be used;
- sagging - as a rule, such problems are caused by loosening fasteners, in order to remedy the situation, you just need to tighten them.
Locks and handles should also be checked periodically, since over time, the bolt and pivot mechanism of the structure may fail.If trouble is found, then the part should be removed and repaired. If you take care of the elements of the door structure and fix the problems immediately after they appear, the door will serve for a rather long time, and all the elements of the fittings will function properly.
For information on how to choose the door hinges and handles for interior doors, see the following video.