Veneered doors: the pros and cons
Doors are a very important element of the interior. But you should not choose a product only in appearance, since its quality and durability play a big role. Doors with veneer in trend today. They attract the attention of a beautiful design, affordable cost and long service life.
What is it and how are it produced?
Veneered doors consist of two main parts: the basis of wood products or MDF and veneer, which is presented in the form of thin sheets of natural wood.
The thickness of the veneer usually varies from 0.5 to 1 centimeter.
Veneer is the process of gluing veneer onto the base of the door.
It is carried out in several stages:
- Creating a product frame. When choosing a material, it should be borne in mind that its moisture content should not exceed 8 percent. This requirement helps prevent cracking, cracking or deformation of the door. The wood is reliably protected from the possibility of mold or rot. For this reason, pine wood is often used.
- The frame is sewn up on one side with the help of the MDF panel. Its thickness is only 4 millimeters. Next, use a filler in the form of polystyrene foam or cardboard, then glue the second panel.
- Preparation of material for finishing is to pick up the strip, similar in color and in pattern. It should be borne in mind that the width of the panels is no more than 30 centimeters.
- Selected blanks are placed on a special machine, where they are glued using a zigzag-shaped thread.
- Further, the sheets are cleaned along the seam, the glue remains are removed, and the sheets are turned by using the door leaf template.
- Prepared sheets of veneer should be pasted on each flap of the product.To speed up the glue drying process, a hot press is applied. This is the method used for pasting each side, after which the doors are polished to obtain a smooth and smooth surface.
- To improve the operational and aesthetic functions of the product is covered with a special varnish.
- This technology can also be used for the manufacture of hollow models, while the bars are glued together to form a single web, which is further amenable to veneering.
Cons and pros
In appearance, the door with veneer is very difficult to distinguish from analogues made of wood, since they are covered with a natural cut of wood.
These doors have many advantages:
- The product is 99% natural in composition, as it includes an array of wood and a cut of valuable wood outside.
- Doors with veneer are made of environmentally friendly materials, so they are often used not only for bedrooms or living rooms, but also for children's rooms.
- Attractive appearance of the product is achieved through the use of natural wood, which is characterized by original and unique print and texture.
Today, natural veneer can be replaced with artificial, but the difference is always noticeable.
- Wooden doors with veneer allow you to create a good indoor microclimate. They perfectly pass air through the micropores.
- The ease of veneered models allows their installation even on very thin walls. If the doors are installed correctly, they can sag in rare cases.
- A good combination of quality and price of the product. If you compare the cost of veneered and wooden models, the option with veneer is much cheaper. If the model with natural veneer is also expensive, then you can pay attention to the options with ekoshpon or other artificial turf.
- Models with veneer very often convey the texture of a valuable tree. The veneer of cherry, pine, wenge, mahogany or ash looks beautiful. To expensive tree species belong such as black walnut, madron.
- Veneered models can be repaired if the fabric was damaged during transportation or operation. You must apply a special composition for staining veneer or polishing the damaged area.
- The product with veneer is characterized by excellent sound insulation properties, as well as the ability to perfectly keep warm, if we talk about options made from solid pine.
- Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of veneered doors, among which you can choose not only the material, but also the color design and the required dimensions. Doors are presented in natural colors. To give the veneer depth of color, it is often stained.
Doors with veneer have some drawbacks that you should be familiar with when choosing a door:
- Natural materials are always expensive, so veneered models are expensive. The price of the door is also influenced by the fame of the manufacturer.
- Natural veneer is almost the same as artificial, which allows fraudsters to produce low-quality veneer as natural.
- To ensure long-term operation of the product, it is necessary to provide careful care. To clean the doors you should use special tools developed on the basis of wax.
Speaking of the pros and cons of the veneered door,It is impossible not to compare with other materials. Veneer products are better than laminated doors due to the natural material and high quality.
For the manufacture of laminated doors using a special laminate film. It perfectly conveys the texture of the array. Of course, such products are notable for their affordable cost, increased wear resistance and reliable protection against moisture ingress.
Types of veneer
Modern manufacturers in the manufacture of doors with veneer use different types of veneer to meet the needs of all customers:
- Natural veneer made from wood. To obtain it applies planing, shelling or cutting. This veneer perfectly conveys the texture of this tree. Doors with natural veneer are more affordable than wooden options, but they are more expensive compared to chipboard.
Such models are characterized by environmental friendliness, beautiful appearance and original print.
- A variety of natural veneer stands fayn-linewhich is made according to the original method. This type of veneer perfectly imitates the texture and color of wood.For the creation of this species are used those tree species that grow rapidly. Doors with veneer fayn-line presented a wide choice of textures, as well as characterized by the absence of knots and cavities.
But veneer fayn-line is characterized by fragility, high porosity and it can not be attributed to environmentally friendly materials.
- Among veneers made of natural wood, attention is drawn to multichon. This option can fit into any interior design thanks to the modern look. It is represented by various color solutions and geometric patterns. Its advantages are in the uniqueness of the drawings, ease of maintenance and long term use.
- Eco scooter conveys the texture of wood, while made of artificial material. The main advantage is the affordable cost of the product. The eco-sheath is resistant to temperature fluctuations, is not afraid of high humidity, and is also more resistant to mechanical stress. In appearance, it corresponds exactly to the natural counterpart. This option is made from sawdust and wood waste, which are further glued and pressed to create thin sheets.
- Artificial evroshpon presented in the form of a synthetic multilayer material. It is made from waste wood and glue. Pressing is used to create it, but this process takes a longer time compared to an ekoshpon.
- Another analogue of natural veneer is the ultra shpon. It is characterized by resistance to mechanical damage and high humidity, and also attracts attention with affordable cost.
- Self-adhesive veneer is an excellent choice for self-decoration of doors. It resembles a sticker. Before gluing the veneer, you should read the manufacturer's instructions.
Depending on the design, all doors with veneer can be divided into two large groups (hollow and solid). Hollow options include a wooden frame that connects to veneer panels. Pine timber with a section of 3x3.3 cm is often used.
If the doors are decorated with glass, then it is necessary to use another frame around the perimeter of the glass unit. To create an additional element, horizontal strips are used, which are then completely closed by the MDF panel.Cellular cardboard or polystyrene foam plates are used to fill the void. After that, the installation of another MDF panel is required. Thus, a three-layer structure is formed.
After that, the preparation for veneering veneer is made. Specialists select sheets that are identical in color and have a mirror pattern. All strips are glued on the machine with adhesive tape. Already finished sheets are customized to the dimensions of the door.
Further, the veneer is attached to the MDF on the door leaf. Actions should be carried out alternately: to the front and end parts. Glue is applied to MDF and veneer is attached. By production of doors with an interline interval the method of hot pressing is used. It remains to carry out the polishing of the product and cover it with a protective varnish on top.
Solid models are characterized by the fact that the wooden frame is filled with laminated wood. The basis of the models is pine timber. For this design uses a solid canvas, which is made of small bars. Further, milling, grinding and pasting of MDF panels are carried out. After this, the veneering process takes place, which occurs in the same way as for the creation of hollow structures.
What are the doors?
Modern models of veneered doors are surprising variety, which allows each buyer to choose the best option, taking into account their wishes:
- Are in great demand wooden interior the doors. Modern manufacturers offer options with oak veneer as an alternative for those who cannot afford to purchase doors made of valuable tree species due to their high cost. This option not only completely repeats the texture of wood in appearance, but also has better characteristics than natural wood.
- Smooth doors with veneer are a type of interior options. They harmoniously combine an affordable price and a stylish appearance that cannot be distinguished from natural wood.
- For bedrooms, many buyers prefer deaf models. They will help to complement the interior of the room, but their main purpose is to close the room from prying eyes. They guarantee excellent sound insulation properties.
- Double wing models Often installed for living rooms, as they are great for spacious rooms.The presence of two parts of the door allows you to use only one half for everyday use. To bring large objects into the room, it is enough to open the second part of the door, and the problem will be solved.
- Attractive and stylish look. framed doorsthat are decorated with panels, wooden inserts of different widths and heights to create a fashionable pattern. They can be used to complement the interiors in various styles.
Veneer is made from various types of wood. The choice is wide enough, which allows you to choose the best option, depending on personal preferences, interior and other factors. Each wood species has its advantages, features of colors and patterns:
- Many manufacturers use nutSince this wood is characterized by high quality, it is also represented by a wide range of colors: from light to dark brown.
- The most durable is oaklined with veneer. This version of the door is not cheap, but it has a long service life. The choice of shades also attracts buyers, as it includes both beige tones and dark brown colors.For the decoration of premium doors, cherry is often used, the colors of which can vary from fiery orange to brick.
- Veneer mahogany gives products of refinement and originality. It attracts the attention of a unique texture and spectacular design. The drawing of mahogany looks impressive, includes soft play, alternates glossy and matte areas.
- Today veneered veneered doors are in great demand. from ash. Thanks to the texture with a clear pattern, these doors are different from any other products. Ash veneer does not require additional processing, because it looks spectacular, presentable and stylish.
- Doors with stone veneer presented in different colors. They are popular due to the unevenness of the surface, the original texture and the natural beauty of the stone. Such doors perfectly will be suitable both for premises, and for office or restaurant.
Doors with veneer are presented in a wide range of colors.
They can be selected for any room interior:
- For smaller rooms, light models should be preferred. They will allow to add light, to make the room more visually spacious.
- White color is universal because it can be used in various styles. Doors with white veneer look elegant, give the design softness and tenderness. Versions veneered with bleached oak look stern and restrained.
- Lovers of natural colors should look at the color of Milan or Italian walnut. These shades give the veneer naturalness. These doors are ideal for creating comfort and coziness in the interior of the room.
- Doors in wenge color are represented by a wide range of tones ranging from golden to dark brown. Wenge veneer models are notable for excellent performance and fashionable appearance.
Modern veneered doors are presented in different designs. Beautiful and rich looking models with natural veneer. Volumetric strips presented on the surface of the doors, give them an unusual and sophisticated.
To visually enlarge the space, doors with veneer, supplemented with glass, will be an excellent solution. They can be used for the living room so that the room is bright and spacious. Also, models with glass look beautiful in the bathroom.The main advantage is practicality.
Doors with glass are in demand relatively recently, since manufacturers began to use frosted glass that does not shine through. Glass may be decorated with fusing. This technology is used to create volumetric elements in the form of a square, circle or drop of water. The presence of such elements on the glass allows you to create luxurious drawings or patterns.
Models with polyurethane enamel look no less impressive. It is used to protect doors from various factors of external action. Such door can be not only interroom, but also street.
Enamel protects the wood from sunburn, mechanical effects and weather conditions.
Today, a variety of style directions requires a wide choice of veneered doors. Manufacturers offer a variety of models that will help emphasize a particular style of interior.
Doors with veneer are simply indispensable in the classics. The noble tree allows to emphasize a cosiness and beauty of the room in classical style. For living rooms it is worth picking up bright doors with veneer of light oak or ash.They will harmoniously look with light walls and floor covering.
No less popular today is the modern style, which will allow veneered doors in the color of wenge. Do not forget about the game of contrasts. Dark doors on the background of light walls look spectacular.
The color of wenge should be used when choosing furniture to make the interior complete.
How to care?
Veneered doors need care, like any other wooden furniture. Experts do not recommend washing the product, it is enough to carry out cleaning with a damp cloth. If desired, you can use a special solution that includes alcohol and water in the ratio of 1: 9.
To restore the veneer covering, you must use a wax-based polish. It allows you to restore the color of the product, fill small cracks and ensure reliable protection of veneer from external factors.
Do not forget that in the tree may start small parasites. To protect the doors from various insects should use an antiseptic. They can handle the door once for several years.
When cleaning veneered sheets, it is prohibited to use products with rigidabrasive particles. The treatment should be done with a soft cloth or sponge.
Ideas in the interior
Shponirovanny doors can be presented in one color, but differ in furnish. Even in the same corridor, you can install a deaf and glazed door, decorated with a luxurious print. Such models create an exquisite tandem.
For lovers of black and white colors are ideal doors with black veneer, complemented by frosted glass inserts. They look rich and luxurious against the background of light gray walls. Dark furniture and light interior elements are harmoniously combined with each other.
About what veneered doors, see in this video.