Types of seals for doors
Sealing tape is not only the function of protecting the home from drafts. In the fight against extraneous sounds coming from the street, the compactor can also play a significant role. When choosing, it is worth paying attention to several aspects: the types of seals, the materials from which they are made, and also use the tricks that will help you choose the right door insulation.
The most important function carried by the compactor is to protect against drafts. If the device does not cope with this task, it is a priori insufficient quality. This is especially true for entrance doors: thermal insulation in this case is extremely important, and only a sufficient level of insulation can provide it.An important heat insulating function “works” in both directions, at the same time protecting the apartment from the cold wind from the street or from the entrance and preventing the heat from leaving the dwelling. It is estimated that doors that are not equipped with a sealant, release up to 40% of the total heat generated by heating devices. The prices for heating are currently quite high, so no one wants to waste precious heat in vain.
Speaking of thermal insulation, it is impossible not to mention that a number of products can withstand significant temperature fluctuations. Amplitude can vary from -65 to +95 degrees Celsius. Thus, having installed a quality insulation on the front door, you can not worry that it will crack in the summer or winter.
One more plus of a sealant - noise-insulating properties. They are inherent both for metal water doors, and for interior. It happens that the entrance door goes right next to the road or the playground, and the insufficient level of sound insulation does not allow residents to feel quite comfortable, because the annoying sounds from the street strongly interfere. If the rooms are not well isolated from each other, then another problem arises: the impossibility of everyone doing their own business without the risk of disturbing the other.Good noise insulation makes it a comfortable situation when, for example, in one room they play the piano, and in the other they read.
Shock absorbing properties are another important factor. Everyone was faced with a situation where drafts walk around the house in the summer due to the open windows, and the doors close with a strong pop, disturbing not only the residents of the house, but also their neighbors. Sealing tape hides unpleasant sound, preventing the creation of annoying pops, as well as extending the life of the door and door frame (due to sudden slamming, they wear out faster).
The sealant protects the house from unnecessary odors or smoke. For example, in the kitchen can burn something. No one wants the burning scent to instantly spread through all the rooms, so the insulation can only keep the smell in the kitchen. The same can be said about the door to the bathroom: it is better to leave the wet steam directly in the bathroom and not to let it out into the hallway or corridor.
Thus, the main property that bears the sealer for the door is the sealing of the door leaf. In the Russian climate, this property of the door is extremely important because of the strong temperature drops on the streets.Moreover, you should carefully consider the choice of products in the event that you live in a big bustling city, because many megalopolises are very lively both day and night. It is for such "non-sleeping" cities that the doors with seals are well suited for enhanced noise insulation. Choosing the door to the kitchen, you also need to make it as tight as possible, because it is not always appropriate and pleasant when food smells are heard, for example, in the bedroom.
Seals are classified according to several criteria. The first is the look of the door:
- For entrance doors. The seal of the vestibules for the entrance doors is usually made tubular. The profile with a cavity inside completely ensures sufficient adherence of the door, contributing to complete isolation from external influences.
- For interior doors. Here are completely different requirements: there is no need for such a strong protection of the room from the environment, the aesthetic component comes first. In some cases, isolation is important (for example, in the bedroom), but not required.
- For plastic doors. Seals for plastic doors in a separate category,because they differ significantly from seals for ordinary doors. It is necessary that the groove element reacts well with the environment. As a rule, such seals are put on the balcony doors. Please note that, as a rule, only a part suitable for a plastic door is manufactured by the same manufacturer as the door itself.
- For glass doors. The profile, which is attached directly to the glass, can be aluminum or silicone. Silicone elements must have a special cross section, they also serve as insulation immediately, while on the aluminum profile you need to make a special rubber seal. Silicone glass sealer is suitable for rooms with high humidity, as there is no risk that it will "move away".
According to the materials there are the following types:
- Foam rubber.
By configuration, the following types are distinguished:
- Ribbon. It is a soft cord with a rectangular cross-section, the width of which is approximately 9 mm.
- Tubular. Despite the fact that for the entrance doors the sealing tube is most often used, it boasts less sealing properties than ribbon models. It is a hollow inside tube, which is pressed when the doors are closed, due to which there are no gaps between the door leaf and the box.
- Groove. It is made specifically for plastic doors, is a hollow profile of soft rubber, on the one hand of which there is a special brush installed in the grooves. Thus, the impact of the environment on the seal is reduced and almost completely transferred to the door leaf itself.
- Spring. Attached to the door frame, not to the door. When closing, its parts slide along the spring and close the slots. Only suitable for fasteners on perfectly flat surfaces.
- Mortise. It is made for wooden doors. Under this seal, a small niche is specially cut in the door frame, which allows you to fit the door leaf tightly in the future. A rubber profile is attached to the niche.
- Folding. Suitable for sealing folding doors, accordions and similar structures.
Tape seals are rarely made wider than 10 mm. This is due to the fact that this width is optimal both for attachment around the perimeter of the door leaf and for the door frame. Tubular variants generally have the same characteristics, regardless of what material they are made of. The size of the plastic door seal depends entirely on the manufacturer. It often happens that only one single model of seals is suitable for each specific model of doors, and it is not possible to replace it with an analogue. It is recommended to pay special attention to this issue when choosing a door, whether it is possible to replace parts with parts purchased from another manufacturer, otherwise during repairs it may be necessary to change the entire door.
A versatile choice is a complex rubber profile, suitable for both interior doors and entrance doors. It is available in various versions, it can be made of soft rubber or more dense, the width of the profiles is traditionally equal to 8-10 mm.
- Foam rubber it is better not to use the element for entrance doors and to save it in case of interior designs.The fact is that foam rubber - the material is not the most durable, and such operation, which the front door is subjected to, simply will not survive. Foam rubber is quite cheap, while it tolerably copes with the basic functions of the seal. It is best to use foam inserts for doors undergoing minor use, for example, to the hall.
- Unlike foam rubber, magnetic constructs are used only for entrance doors. Magnetic inserts on soft rubber profiles ensure the best fit of the seal, so protection from drafts or heat leakage from the house is guaranteed. Problems can arise only with the installation of elements, they must be matched exactly to the size of the door, otherwise the magnetic protrusion simply will not allow the door to close.
Another topical option - colorless insulation. Many believe that they are a good solution only for glass doors, however, this is far from the case. Transparent compactor looks great on wooden, plastic and metal doors, because it is almost invisible. Thus, it can be used in casesif the owner is afraid to spoil the aesthetic appearance of the door, or if from a stylistic point of view, the use of the seal is inappropriate.
The invoice distinguishes the following types:
- Flexible. Smooth or flexible profiles can be made of a variety of different materials, including rubber, silicone, magnet.
- Liquid. Commonly used when weatherizing entrance doors. It is a kind of liquid foam rubber, which is applied to the desired areas under pressure.
- Pile The fleecy variant is familiar to many very well, since it was the felt that was originally the only alternative for the manufacture of insulation for the door. At this stage of development of the repair business, a plait and a tape are being released not only from pure felt, but also from synthetic fleecy fabric.
By location there are the following options:
- Threshold. They are a good way out when the door design does not provide a threshold. It is mainly done on an automatic control, which allows the profile to “adjust” to the width of the gap between the door and the floor in the open or closed position.
- Contour. Contour options are the easiest to understand. They are mounted along the entire perimeter of the door leaf or box, while at the same time eliminating gaps everywhere. Most often used for entrance doors, taken a triple profile.
- Fireman. Such a thermally expanding variant is a substance that, when heated strongly, turns into foam. Foam completely seals the door, preventing the passage of smoke and not allowing oxygen to go to the fire.
Depending on a type of a sealant, its sizes vary also. Also, the optimal size depends on the gap, on how thick it is. A significant role is played by the total footage of the door structure, as well as the particular purpose of the door. For example, for the entrance door requires a more dense and wide insulation. Flexible rectangular profiles are sold in large rolls, the size of which depends only on the manufacturer. They are great for eliminating narrow cracks that do not cause much discomfort to the door owners.
In some cases, rubber profiles of complex configuration are used.They are suitable for ordinary doors, and even for extra heavy armored door. Each of the profiles has its own special form: C, P, O and so on. Each of the forms is designed for slots of certain dimensions, however, remember that these profiles are used to isolate gaps 1-4 mm wide, but some shapes are good for insulation and larger slots.
- Profiles of forms C, K, E are suitable for masking small gaps, the size of which does not exceed 3 mm.
- Forms P and V will perfectly cope with masking liquors up to 5 mm.
- Less commonly, O and D profiles are used, which allow working with gaps up to 7 mm.
When calculating the required number of flexible profiles for door insulation consider that you definitely need at least 5-6 meters of material. It is always better to take a soft seal with a small margin, as in the event that a part of the established profile deteriorates, it can always be changed quickly. Hard seals are made directly to the size of the door. As a rule, self-measurement and acquisition causes certain difficulties, so it’s better to turn to professionals with this question. There is only one compactor on the market that requires such a delicate selection - this is a magnetic option.
Different seals and thickness. For interior doors, soft thin profiles are selected, while entrance doors need more impressive insulation. Thick profiles of rubber, often multi-layered, have impressive dimensions compared to miniature interior samples. Thus, selecting the seal of the required size, it is necessary to focus not only on the type of seal, but also on the functional purpose of the door being insulated, on the size of the existing gaps. Pay attention to where the element will be mounted: around the perimeter of the door frame or directly onto the door leaf. Traditionally, thicker versions are mounted on the door frame than on the door itself, because when mounted on the door frame there is a small risk that the door simply does not close.
Which seal material is better?
At the moment, there is a huge range of materials from which seals for doors are made. After reviewing the characteristics of each of them, you will be able to determine exactly which option is appropriate in your case.
- Rubber the seal is perhaps the most popular today.This is due to the versatility of the material, since it is well tolerated by temperature changes, high humidity and other negative effects. To prevent bacteria from multiplying at the joints or the fungus does not appear, the rubber is pretreated with a special compound that interferes with the activity of bacteria and disinfects the surface.
- Silicone option - a good alternative to the rubber seal. Mostly silicone is used for insulating glass doors, since it is firmly glued to the glass, you just need to moisten it with water and let it dry. Silicone does not crack under the influence of strong temperature drops and does not come off the glass. Silicone elements are much better than rubber, they are suitable for rooms with high humidity, such as a bath, sauna, bathroom.
- A special place is occupied by modern TEC seals. They are distinguished by their ability to adapt to extremely high or extremely low temperatures. Sometimes the spread can be more than 100 degrees - from -70 to +95 degrees Celsius. European thermoplastic elastomer formulation ensures high reliabilitylong service life, good resistance to shock loads, low profile deformation during operation.
- Felt is the most traditional and familiar from childhood material. Due to the fact that the felt is still made of natural wool, it well protects the room from the cold and is in the list of leaders, largely because of this. During the entire service life, the felt insulation does not lose its original properties, well tolerating Russian severe weather conditions, it saves heat. Contrary to popular belief, felt is completely fire safe because it has a very dense structure, because of which it does not burn well.
What colors are there?
To date, seals are released in the mass of color solutions, which include not only the classic black or white color. It is possible to choose the model you need under the door of any color, whether it is a white plastic balcony pattern or a bright door to the nursery. However, it is the white and black versions that are most popular with consumers. White models are chosen mainly for plastic doors, when owners need to decorate some cosmetic flaws.Also, white seals look good on the interior options, while at the front door it is unlikely the white element will look appropriate.
For the front door, on the contrary, black insulation is the best solution. Black models fit well with almost all types of metal doors, and this fact should be noted. In addition, painted insulators made of rubber for entrance doors do less well with their functions, as the paint significantly changes the chemical composition of the material. The same can be said about the plastic balcony doors. It is best to choose the black seal, it will protect the living room from a draft outside.
There are a great many color models. There are no texture samples or variants with a picture, but the choice of colors is almost unlimited. The whole range of shades of brown is the most popular, since the seals are often chosen for wooden doors, and people try to choose them so that they are as inconspicuous as possible on the door leaf and do not spoil the general impression. Note that often for a relatively small fee they are asked to supply the door immediately suitable seal for the desired color.As a rule, this option is preferable, especially if you know in advance that you need to install this kind of plug for the slots. The decision to buy a door with a ready-made sealing element will save you a lot of time and energy that you would have spent searching, and the budget will not hit you hard.
Whatever color you choose, remember that the overall look of the room and the door alone should remain harmonious, however, it is much more important that the chosen sample copes well with its basic functions.
What is attached?
There are several options for mounting seals. Each of them is due to the type of attachment, which is provided with a specific version.
- Installation in the groove. Profiles for mounting in the groove equipped with a special fastening brush. You will not need additional materials for installation, however, this does not make the installation of such elements the simplest. The main difficulty that most people experience when working with slotting seals is fitting them to the required size. It should be understood that rubber is a material that stretches easily and just as easily takes on its original shape, so when cutting or pressing directly into the groove you cannot pull the product, on the contrary, it should be slightly “assembled”.Cutting of slotting seals should be carried out after they have been installed in place, otherwise there is a great risk of cutting off the excess, and this will inevitably nullify the whole effect that was planned to get through the installation of elements.
- Self-adhesive option. Usually, installation with self-adhesive tape is the least difficult. As in the previous case, the only equipment you need is a paint knife, which, after gluing, you need to trim the insulation to the desired length. The most important place in the preparatory process is the preparation of the surface: it must not only be well cleaned of dirt and dust, but also thoroughly degreased. Traditionally, the tape is glued from left to right and from top to bottom, that is, on the sides of the pasting it is necessary to start from the top corner. Gradually, gradually, the protective layer is removed from the sticky side of the seal, the tape is not stretched, fixed on the surface, and only after it is fully fixed can a little adhesive tape be released again and fixed further. The step is about 10 cm.
- On nails or screws. This option has not been very popular lately, because duct tape or glue is a good alternative to nails. In some cases, it is impossible to install a self-adhesive specimen (for example, if the surface is uneven or the seal is too heavy), and then traditional nails are remembered again. The distance between the nails is 5-7 cm, less often it is not recommended to install the fasteners, as sags may arise through which cold air will enter the room. Installing insulation for screws or nails, you need to act very carefully, because if not enough to deepen the cap, the door will close with difficulty or not at all. The option is mainly suitable for entrance doors, and in the case of interior doors it is better to do without a compactor than to choose a fastener on nails.
How to choose the door insulation?
Before buying a seal, it is recommended to carefully read the reviews on a particular model. As a rule, the opinion of ordinary people from the street is more truthful than the advertising stories of the sales personnel.
Also, before buying, you need to check the material yourself as follows:
- Feel the cord. It should not be sticky or deformed too easily, otherwise all the signs of a poor-quality product are there. Feel free to refuse to buy, even if it is distinguished by a very attractive price: this model will not serve you for a long time and will not protect the room properly.
- Choosing an ordinary seal that is attached to the glue, be sure to specify which glue can be used and whether it is available. This issue is especially relevant if an element is chosen for metal entrance doors, as the glue must cope well with all the negative environmental influences and should not become limp. The best option is silicone sealant, which is suitable for external iron or steel doors, and for glass, and for many others.
- Read the label very carefully, it is often on it that information is written about which the seller or the advertisement will not tell you. If you select a model for sliding doors, compartments, pendulum, "accordions" or other unusual options, it will be on the label that it will be said whether the sample is suitable for use with such models.
- For a balcony door it is advisable to install as strong seals as for street doors. This is due to the fact that in both cases it is necessary to protect the room from external influences, and reliable protection does not place this in it.
- For a wooden door in a log house a good solution would be to use silicone insulation. Pay attention to how easy it is to replace one model with another. Wooden houses “shrink” over time, and after a few years, the door will be hard to close, and then it will be necessary to replace the existing sample.
- For wooden doors in ordinary houses, the installation of mortise seals, which are almost imperceptible against the background of the door, is very popular. If possible, it is recommended to choose this contour option, as it will provide you with good noise insulation, and in case the door cracks, the seal can be simply removed without harm to aesthetics.
- It is imperative to choose a sealant in the tone of the door design, so that it looks as organic as possible against the general background and does not spoil the whole look.
How to mount the seal for the door, see the video below.