Do-it-yourself door locks repair
Locks perform a locking function and reliably protect the housing from the penetration of robbers. For various reasons, during operation they may fail, requiring partial repair or replacement. To solve this unexpected problem, most of the owners of apartments and houses, preferring to save the family budget, carry out the installation and maintenance of parts on their own. Since this procedure is responsible and the safety of housing will depend on it in the future, the work must be carried out correctly.
Types of locks
Today the market is represented by a huge assortment of locks, each of which differs not only in the exterior design, weight, material of manufacture, but also the level of protection.Therefore, before you purchase such a product and be able to do the repair yourself, you should know the characteristics of the devices. On the entrance canvases often install these types of locks.
- Hinged. They belong to the cheapest and easiest way to protect the premises. They are usually installed on the front doors of cellars, outbuildings and small country houses. For country houses and city apartments, they are not suitable because they do not provide good security and do not have a high degree of secrecy.
- Mortise. These devices are the most common, they are mounted inside the door leaf. To complete the installation of this product, you must have certain skills, experience and special tools. Additional use of anti-burglar elements helps to increase the protective functions of the mortise locks.
- Overhead. They are usually placed on the door inside the room, as for the protective mechanism, it is mounted directly inside the canvas. Such models are characterized by long service life and durability, since they have two modes of operation - automatic and mechanical.In the event of a malfunction, the lock can be easily repaired by yourself.
Depending on the design features of the internal mechanism, the following types of locks are distinguished.
- Cylinder. The doors open when the bolt is actuated by turning the key. The protective element is located inside the cylinder and is a set consisting of "pins". Each bot requires its own key. Despite the fact that a combination of a million or more can be used to open such a model, wizards still advise supplementing such devices with armor plates or lever mechanisms. These locks are easy to repair and are well suited for both entrance and interior doors.
- Suvaldnye. Are the most reliable locking product, the package of which includes metal plates and code parts. In many ways, the level locks have a similarity to the cylinder locks, but unlike the first, they have spring-loaded levers made of high-quality steel for opening and closing the door. Externally, the device looks massive, has considerable weight and guarantees excellent protection.The greater the number of levers, the higher the security level of the lock.
- Pin This type is recommended for installation on doors with a metal leaf. When exposed to the bolts by key movements, access to the room is blocked. Therefore, it is impossible to open such a door lock without a key. In case of breakage, you will need to cut the bolts placed between the frame and the door, and then replace the parts.
- Disk. They are universal, as they can be installed on any type of door. The lock is unlocked using the decoding of the keyhole; to do this, you need to drive the keys with a key. In addition to high durability, these mechanisms can not be opened, even when trying to drill out the larva disks will remain in place and rotate with the drill.
- Electromechanical. They belong to one of the modern types of locks, in which the impact on the secretion system is carried out with the help of electrical impulses. After the mechanism receives a signal with the correct code, the door opens. In this case, the key combination from the outside is a code combination, a key ring or a card, and from the inside - a button.The only disadvantage of this device is the fact that in the event of a power failure it stops working and turns off.
In addition to the above locking devices, there are also certain types that are designed for interior doors.
- Nobs. Characterized by a special integrated locking system. The lock starts working when turning the handle. Such models can consist of either a manual latch or be supplemented with a key lock. The main disadvantage of the products is the fact that they often break, and the system during the long operation can jam.
- Push Types Found wide application for installations in interior doors. A flap tongue and a handle are included in the package; when pressed, the mechanism retracts and the door opens. If you turn the handle to its former position, then the latch takes its original place. In the event that the device breaks, it can be easily repaired. In addition, this type of lock is inexpensive.
- Sockets. Such mechanisms are the most durable and reliable. They consist of a disc, a handle, a mounting hole and a locking system.With the help of this lock, you can lock the door at any time and retire. The advantage of the device is that it is not necessary to cut a large hole in the door for its installation.
Based on the above, it is worth noting that recently it is easy to choose a suitable model of the lock. It can be locking devices of different designs, colors, as well as made in the form of a combination of metal with plastic, MDF and surface coating. When making a purchase, it is recommended to pay attention not only to the attractiveness of the product, but also to its level of protection.
Sooner or later, when operating the door lock, you may encounter such an unexpected situation as its failure. To answer the question of why the lock broke, you need to know the reason that caused it to fail. The most common problems with the locking device are as follows.
- Has ceased to slam the tongue. As a rule, this may be due to the insufficient diameter of the hole that was cut out under the mechanism. Cutting a hole and shifting a metal plate will help fix the break.In addition, a distortion or shrinkage of the door leaf can also cause blocking of the part. The tongue is also often in the long run can simply wear out or become loose.
- Complicated door opening. In this case, you should not immediately think about the breakage of the locking device, because the problem may be caused by the distortion of the canvas itself. First you need to adjust the door frame, and then adjust the location of the lock.
- Jamming mechanism and not turning the key. Such a nuisance is due to the displacement of individual moving elements inside the device. To find out everything exactly, you need to completely disassemble the lock, clean and lubricate the parts.
- Lock lock Such a malfunction may lie in the larva. It should be replaced or repaired.
- Breakage of the external case. Repair in this case is impossible, since the external part of the device will have to be replaced with a new one. If the case has failed in the mortise lock, then you will need to dismantle all parts of the device, clean them thoroughly and fix them in the new product.
- Turning the key. A breakdown in the system is caused by the failure of an auxiliary element, which is called the counterpart. If the key inserted into the well does not set the bolt in motion and is scrolling, then the return plate must be changed. Such a procedure requires precise waste of the castle, only an experienced specialist can handle it.
Regardless of whether you plan to repair, replace or install a door lock, you should prepare all the tools in advance. Of course, if the work will be performed by classified masters, it will save you from unnecessary fuss. But in the case when the process is carried out independently, you will still have to prepare a minimum set consisting of the following tools.
- Manual router. It is used for tapping locks, since this tool provides high-quality cutting recesses and accurate sampling. In addition, in the process, the freezer does not damage the decorative covering of the door leaf.
- The hammer. It is best suited for non-professional sidebar, but sometimes it can be useful.
- Chisels. Thanks to her, it will speed up the process of cutting openings for the lock.
- Screwdriver or drill. These tools are needed when drilling deeper seats and holes for pens.
- Screwdriver. For the workflow, both cross-shaped and flathead screwdrivers of different diameters will be needed, with their help it will be possible to fix the screws and fix the internal parts of the device.
- Drill to work with wood.
You can fix the lock on the door in the apartment or private house without the help of experienced craftsmen. To do this, you must have on hand the appropriate tools and basic skills in the plumbing. It is worth noting that before repairing the locking device, you should find out the cause of the breakdown and take into account the type of core, since basically this element of the mechanism is the main source of all problems. At the entrance doors, as a rule, set the lever and cylinder locks.
If the cylinder locks break, they first remove the armor plate, then remove the screw, which is located at the end of the door. Then you should pull out the cylinder itself and replace it with a new one. As for suvaldnyh devices, when they break, it is recommended not only the replacement of the larvae,but also the repair of pens, since the latter can cause repeated malfunctions, then the tongue will begin to fall. It is much more difficult to cope with the repair of spacer mechanisms on glass sheets and on a plastic balcony door. Unusable lock will need to unscrew, after removing the hinges from the door and dismantling the canvas.
In addition, the locks of the entrance and interior doors of a house or apartment should be periodically cleaned and greased. It is recommended to use engine oil for lubrication, and the parts are cleaned as follows.
- At the first stage, the locking device is unwound, then all the elements of the mechanism are removed and they are carefully purged. If inside the castle there are a lot of particles of dirt and dust, then the parts need to be cleaned with a brush. Larger items are wiped with a dry cloth.
- In the second stage, a lubricant is applied to a cotton swab and each component of the device is treated separately. Then carry out the assembly and installation in the same place, checking the operation of the lock.
Quite often require prevention locks in the interior door. Under the influence of a large power load, the handle begins to jam, the tongue sinks, or the locking latch dangles.Often, during the operation of interior doors, not the larva fails, but the building itself. In this case, the fault can be eliminated with a screwdriver. First, remove the mount, then carefully remove the gear box. The repair ends with the installation of a new building and its fixation. Similar works are suitable only for laid on and hinged type of locks. With mortise devices, the situation is different:
- first turn off the screws;
- then dismantle all parts and remove the lock from the seat;
- the box is placed on a flat surface and the screws are removed;
- the damaged case is removed, replacing it with a new one, and the box is again mounted in the door pocket.
It is worth paying attention to the fact that interior doors are most often equipped with a handle-lock, therefore, its failure is the reason for the failure of the entire locking device. As a rule, the handle can break when it becomes rusty, when the mechanism is dusting or due to distortions and deformation of the door leaf. Therefore, if a lock tongue is just ignited in the lock, then the spring placed in the rear wall is replaced.The loose handle should be simply returned to its previous position by twisting the fasteners. When jamming the snap elements, you will need to check them for cracks, deformation and displacement. If there are any, then you need to replace the damaged part with a new one.
As for the magnetic locks, their repair is quite simple. Since in these devices there is a natural magnet, which over time can lose its property of attraction, it is replaced or remagnetization. In addition, it is necessary to periodically check the tightness of the lock to the door, since the slightest deviations can weaken the operation of the mechanism.
Eliminate the malfunction of electromagnetic locks only by professionals, since it is difficult for inexperienced craftsmen to open the entrance group. This device is controlled by an electronic unit, so it is often considered the common cause of damage. Repair in this case may include the replacement of electrical wiring, as well as modules with boards. Therefore, if such a lock does not work, first of all it is necessary to make sure whether the system is connected to the electrical network,Are there any faults in the wiring, is the electricity supplied by voltage. The power supply can fail, it will have to be changed to a new one.
Despite the fact that the repair of door locks will seem simple, before you start doing it yourself, you need to really evaluate your capabilities, since many types of locks have a complex structure, and repairing it with your own hands can harm them. In addition, to ensure reliable protection of housing, experts recommend installing at the same time several different types of locking devices. Thus, if one of them fails, the house or apartment will be safe until repairs are made.
Today, anyone can try himself as a master and carry out repairs or install door locks on their own. This allows not only to significantly save the family budget, but also to gain a good experience. In order for the workflow to pass quickly and correctly, novice specialists should consider the following recommendations.
- When a lock breaks, you should not immediately disassemble the case, first you need to make sure thatIs there foreign objects and debris in the keyhole? If there are any, it is necessary to remove foreign bodies with the help of awl or tweezers.
- In the case when the key is stuck or broken, do not panic. First you need to remove it, then proceed to repair. If the attempt failed, it is best to invite the wizard.
- When jamming the latch and bolt enough to do the setting sash. In addition, you can additionally check the position of the sheds and door leaf for deflection and deformation. To eliminate this problem, you just need to expand the keyhole a few millimeters, then the latch and the bolt will freely enter.
- To eliminate faults in the protective mechanism that cause jamming, you should completely disassemble the device and clarify whether all the elements are in place, whether there are worn parts. The most difficult in case of breakage may be the replacement of the core.
How to repair the castle with your own hands, see the video.