Dressing room from the pantry: how to make and equip a room?
Having your own dressing room is a dream of many people. The opportunity to beautifully and accurately place numerous dresses, blouses, skirts, shirts, trousers, jeans, arrange boxes with shoes, arrange accessories and decorations today is very real even in a small apartment.
Storeroom - a place where for years the necessary and not very necessary things are stored, which it is a pity to throw out. Dressing room from the pantry is a great way to get rid of unnecessary rubbish and get a compact, well-organized separate room for clothes and shoes.
Features and benefits
The main objective of the perfect dressing room is the maximum possible use of living space. A wardrobe is a special kind of functional space. Here are placed and stored various items of clothing, shoes, accessories. Everything should be in perfect order and always be at hand, the other functions are already secondary.
The advantages of such a room include the following points:
- Saving family budget (a separate room eliminates the need to purchase a bulky closet, shelving, bedside tables);
- Ergonomic solution for even the smallest pantry space. In addition, you can greatly expand the area of living space, getting rid of wardrobes and chest of drawers;
- The possibility of arranging a pantry to your own taste (this possibility does not provide a standard cupboard);
- The possibility of placing the necessary things in one place (often clothes, shoes and accessories for all family members are stored in different rooms, closets, shelves).
In addition, its own dressing room - it is fashionable, modern, convenient and comfortable.
Requirements for wardrobe in the apartment
Certain requirements are imposed on the dressing room, as well as on any other functionally significant room. Among them:
- Ergonomic organization of space (the use of shelves, racks, rails for hangers) to place all the necessary things in the public domain;
- The presence of a mirror;
- A well-organized ventilation and lighting system (things should not dampen, air exchange should be constant);
- Even a very small space can be properly used. When developing a design, it is necessary to take into account the number of things that must be placed in the room. The inner space, including the door, can be used under the shelves for storing boxes, clothes hooks, laundry basket.
- If the room is too small, then it is best to use open racks and shelves as storage of things.
Spacious wardrobe room can easily turn out even from the smallest pantry in a brick, panel or wooden house. The main thing is to show your imagination, take into account the peculiarities of the room and most effectively organize the living space.
We select the configuration and storage system
The design and organization of the internal space is directly dependent not only on the size of the room, but also on its configuration. Among the most common options are:
This option is universally suitable for any room.
You can decorate the rooms as follows:
- To expose a metal frame with numerous shelves and nets for linen, shoes and clothes;
- Create a cozy corner decorated with natural wood with a sliding door compartment (this option looks very expensive and stylish).
Wardrobe, parallel to one of the walls of the room. May have a door or be open. Great for storing things of two people (each can be allocated a whole wall). Design options can be many. For placing clothes and linen used open shelves, drawers, racks, hangers.
One of the most common and roomy options. Thanks to this geometric form, a large number of drawers, shelves, baskets can be placed in the room.
In order to turn the pantry into a spacious and roomy wardrobe,You can use one of the proposed storage systems:
- Cabinet model. This option is made to order. Its advantages include capacity and the ability to accommodate large and small things, accessories. Cons: the bulkiness of the shelves and the inability to change their location.
- Cellular or mesh design. More elegant, lightweight and compact version. Mesh baskets and shelves are fastened with metal guides and brackets. Due to the mesh base in the room creates a feeling of lightness and openness. The interior does not seem heavy and overloaded. The low cost of such a storage system is also a plus. However, the disadvantage of the model is the impossibility of storing too heavy things.
- Frame system. The basis for this model are metal supports from floor to ceiling, which are then attached to the crossbar, rod, shelves, drawers and baskets. The advantages of the system include its low weight, ease of assembly and use, strength and aesthetic appearance.
In order for the dressing room not to become a chaotic, heaped-down storage of clothes and shoes, it is necessary to use the principle of room zoning at the design stage.This will help to maximally efficiently and optimally place everything you need, while not cluttering the room and leaving free access to things.
For this, the space is divided into 3 zones:
- Bottom. This zone occupies a space no higher than 80 cm from the floor level and is intended for storing shoes, umbrellas and other accessories. Depending on the type of footwear (summer, winter), this zone can be divided into several parts of different sizes. For example, for storage of sandals, sandals and shoes, the height of the shelf is about 25 - 30 cm, boots and other demi-season and winter shoes - 45 cm.
- Average. The main part of the wardrobe. Pantograph, crossbars, hangers, shelves, drawers are located here. The height of the middle zone is approximately 1.5 - 1.7 m. The compartment, designed to accommodate shirts, jackets, trousers, dresses, skirts, occupies a height of about one meter. Underwear is best kept in boxes with dividers.
- Top. Hats, seasonal clothing, bedding are stored here. To store bags and suitcases, it is also worthwhile to provide a separate niche of about 20 * 25 cm (height / depth). Usually they are laid under the ceiling itself and to access them it is necessary to provide a ladder (if the ceiling in the closet is high).
We plan internal filling
After the layout scheme and storage system is chosen, it remains to organize the internal space correctly. Of course, each interior is different in its own way, but there are several general rules for the wardrobe arrangement:
- Shoe boxes, boxes, shelves and stands are stored in the lower zone;
- The upper shelves are reserved for storage of large-sized (pillows, blankets, bags) and seasonal items;
- The middle section is ideal for casual wear;
- Side shelves are useful for useful things that are often used;
- Under accessories (gloves, umbrellas, belts) a separate zone is allocated.
Today, special accessories are offered for the neat storage of things, for example, skirts for women or breeches. They are equipped with special rubberized clips to prevent the appearance of creases on clothes.
The crossbar under the hangers is a classic organizer for placing shirts, skirts, trousers, dresses, outerwear. There can be several bars at one or different levels.
Outwardly, the pantograph is a crossbar, which at any time can be lowered to the desired height or raised back.
A lightweight textile holder can be used to store a large number of handbags, backpacks, and reticulums. It does not take up much space and will keep your favorite accessories always at hand.
Furniture for the dressing room can be made from a variety of materials. It can be natural wood, and practical plastic, and inexpensive drywall, and durable steel or other metal. If a pantry settles in a small apartment (“Khrushchev”), then it is better to give preference to stationary or modular furniture.
Finishing and lighting
The next equally important and crucial point in the arrangement of the pantry - finishing work and lighting.
- The material for finishing walls, ceiling and floor should be as practical as possible so as not to make repairs too often. It should be smooth, so as not to “eat” an already not large space and should not leave marks on clothes. With these functions, washable wallpaper, paint, textiles, and mirror perfectly cope. So that the room does not look even smaller and heavier, it is better if the decoration will be chosen in bright, dull colors.
- As for lighting, massive chandeliers and bulky lamps are not recommended - they will make the room heavier.It is best to choose a point or small ceiling lights, turning lamps.
- An interesting and practical option - a line of LED-lamps, which are automatically lit when entering the room. If the dressing room consists of a large number of closed drawers, then it is worth thinking about local lighting. So it will be easier and faster to find the right thing.
- Being engaged in finishing works, you should not forget about ventilation. In the wardrobe, clothes and clothes remain closed for a long time, which means that they just need fresh air in order to prevent dampness, mildew and unpleasant smell. Dressing room can be equipped with an exhaust fan or a small air conditioner.
Options for closing the doorway
Depending on the configuration, location and design of the wardrobe room, several types of doorway design can be considered. The room can be open or closed. Doors can be swinging, sliding, instead of them can be used a folding screen.
To decorate the door structure, frosted or glossy glass, a mirror, sandblasted design, wood, inserts of different materials, textiles can be used.
The last option looks very original and is quite inexpensive. For hanging the curtains is installed eaves, and the fabric itself is chosen to match the interior design. Sliding doors and doors of the "accordion" type help save a lot of space without it. Swing doors appropriately look only in a spacious room.
Do it yourself
A few simple recommendations will help to turn a small pantry into a cozy, compact wardrobe with your own hands:
- Develop a plan for the future dressing room. At the first stage of work it is necessary to carefully consider the configuration of the room. Typical pantries in the "Khrushchev" usually take up no more than 3 square meters of space. Partial demolition of the partition and installation of a plasterboard structure will help to slightly expand it. True, the expansion of the wardrobe is directly related to the decrease in living space.
- The next item is the choice of storage systems for clothes and things. It is necessary to carefully perform measurements of the future room and schematically put on the plan all the structural elements.
- Selection, calculation of the required quantity and the purchase of finishing materials.
- Cleaning the premises and preparation for finishing. The storage room is cleared of all things, the old floor is dismantled, uneven walls, the floor and the ceiling are leveled, plastered, tiled.
- Finishing work. The floor is covered with linoleum or laminate, the ceiling is painted or whitened, the walls are covered with wallpaper, painted or finished with other materials.
- Local ventilation device (fan, air conditioning) and light sources (spotlights).
- Production and installation of racks. For self-production, you will need metal pipes, sheets of chipboard with plastic coating, guides, fasteners, edging, corners, caps, furniture accessories.
- Installation of internal lighting system for drawers, installation of doors.
- The final stage: hangers, baskets, hinged pockets.
It will be necessary only to decompose things, hang out clothes and the dressing room is ready for use.
Examples of ideas in the interior of the hallway
Open wardrobe in the hallway - one of the most popular options for the transformation of the old pantry. To do this, it will be necessary to demolish the partition in order to expand the space.Practical and comfortable shoe rack and several crossbars at different levels for placing clothes will help not to clutter the area.
A more practical option - the pantry room is occupied by open racks with compartments and shelves of different widths. For storage of linen or useful things there are several drawers. Such a wardrobe can be equipped with sliding doors or hang with a thick textile curtain.