Window decoration in the living room: useful recommendations
It is difficult to imagine a house without windows, its overall perception largely depends on it. Windows without the appropriate design seem to be bare, it deprives the room of the feeling of comfort. Any window requires attention, but in the living room, where all family members and guests gather, its design is of particular importance.
The atmosphere of the whole room and how comfortable the feeling of each person in the living room depends on the type of the window opening, the condition of the frames and its decor.
Window decoration in the living room with curtains is a traditional technique.
To make this window decoration look appropriate in a particular interior, it is selected according to a number of rules, taking into account:
- the color scheme of the living room;
- everyday life, or festive interior;
- room style;
- the quality and composition of the fabric used.
There is another approach to the design. Sometimes it makes sense to do without the use of curtains. This is possible if the window frame itself is a worthy decoration of the window when its bindings are made in the form of a figured lattice or the window is so accurately combined with the color scheme of the living room that it is unacceptable to close it from the eyes with curtains. Some stylistics need no curtains (for example, with panoramic windows in the loft style).
It makes sense to do without curtains when the window frame contrasts with the general color scheme of the room (for example, when it is made in black).
Huge windows in the spacious living room can do without special decoration, especially if the view of the street is worthy of attention.
Not to decorate the window with curtains is also advisable in cases where it has an original shape. Although we must take into account that all this is possible only in those cases, if the living room is located above the first floor, evening lights do not shine through the windows, disturbing people in the hall, the room is not located on the sunny side.
The window is different. There are designs of the usual rectangular shape,but in the rooms of non-standard planning (for example, in some old house or building constructed according to an individual project), one can see a panoramic, bay window or a variant of an arched type. The design of such window openings with curtains is not particularly difficult. It is only necessary to choose the right textiles.
Narrow windows, located next, it is better to draw up lifting cloth of the same color. Large worth emphasize sliding curtains. They can be of different colors in the event that the room provides for the differentiation of functional zones. For example, there is a part where guests gather and the space where the dining area is located.
The decoration of bay windows protruding forward outside the facade depends on how large such windows are, what is the distance between the sections. Whatever the specific design decision, the bay window should be decorated with curtains in a single composition using the same fabric. This will emphasize the unusual design of the window opening.
Living room style dictates the selection of materials for decorating windows.
So a high-tech room suggests the use of low-key monochromatic curtains instead of curtains, roller blinds or Roman curtains.The use of chiffon, nylon or organza without an ornament with a metallic sheen will not contradict the general style.
Vintage style involves the use of natural materials (chintz, cotton or flax with a small pattern). It is good to choose curtains from expensive fabrics (linen, brocade silk or velvet) to the art deco style.
The loft style does not require any curtains at all, but no one has canceled the functionality. To prevent the room from being seen by the whole street, it is better to cover the windows with at least transparent tulle, and attach roller blinds or blinds of the appropriate color to the frames.
For the living room in the style of minimalism fit blinds, roller blinds or curtains of smooth texture of textiles. It will be good to use a shade of coffee with milk, sand or a tone of gold, green, beige and pink.
How to make a window sill?
The window sill is an integral part of the window, sometimes it is a functionally active element of the living room. For example, if the room has a great view of the city or nature, the window sill can replace the soft seat, if you add it with pillows. This is possible if you are dealing with a low window opening.
Sitting in such a place, watching the life behind the windows, is pleasant (it promotes relaxation).
The window can be supplemented with a wooden bench under it, where it is good to put pots of flowers. Such an element would be a great addition to a country-style living room. Under the window you can make shelves for books.
The library under the window sill will look stylish and will give the living room atmosphere a special intellectual overtones.
Which curtains to choose?
The choice of curtains due to many components. We can talk about a private house with a balcony in the room where guests and households gather.
In the living room of a city apartment there may be a window with a balcony door. In the hall sometimes there is not one window, but two or three. It may be small or large. If the windows in the room are located at different heights, you can compensate for this by using a lambrequin or a wide baguette cornice.
Lambrequins are also well used on panoramic windows. If there is an exit to the balcony from the living room, this design model is no good: there will be problems with opening the door.
Fabric cloths on several windows due to the symmetry of the location will give the room additional height.A common curtain on several window openings will visually make the living room wider. To achieve this effect, it is necessary to use a single curtain of tulle, passing through all the windows, and at the edges hang sliding curtains. Visually make the window wider and help curtains, the pattern on which is horizontal. Although it is appropriate only in rooms with low ceilings.
To make the low window look higher, the cornice should be positioned right under the ceiling, using curtains on the grommets.
The disadvantages of a narrow window, which allows little natural light into the room, are easily compensated for by the wide eaves. Given its size, you need to pick up and curtains. So be able to hide the small size of the window opening. At the same time, with the curtains opened, the windows will be fully used to transmit daylight.
When choosing curtains and decorating windows, it is necessary to take into account some of the nuances of interior design:
- if the walls, the ceiling and the upholstery of the upholstered furniture are made in a single light color scale, it is better to focus attention on the window;
- dark-colored curtains with a volumetric pattern will attract attention (whether it is beneficial or not depends on the specific design decision of the living room);
- if there is a TV in front of the window in the hall, it is better to arrange a window opening using thick curtains: they will help to avoid light falling on the TV screen while watching programs (for apartments located on the first floors of buildings, blackout curtains will be a salvation from prying eyes);
- heavy fabrics are beautiful and expensive, but they are appropriate only in spacious living rooms: a small room with such curtains seems even smaller than it is;
- 100% natural fabrics should not be used on windows facing south, they will fade quickly and lose their elegant appearance;
- to make the room seem lighter, it is better to avoid heavy textiles: light tulle, organza, fine silk or taffeta will be just right;
- in small living rooms, choose the decoration of windows in the color of the wallpaper: this way you can visually make the room larger (equally plain curtains or accessories with small ornamentation will look);
- curtains with a large multi-colored pattern (for example, monograms or lace, vegetative themes) are suitable for an impressive hall size.
- The striped pattern on the curtains affects the perception of the height and width of the window, the horizontal bar makes the window area wider, and the vertical one - higher.
Stylish design examples
Modern window design options are varied:
- Light curtains with an original pattern look beautiful on panoramic windows, perfectly fitting into the interior of the living room, designed in gray tones. More dense curtains on the grommets complete the decor and have an important function in protecting the room from excessive light and heat on a sunny day.
- Black-and-white curtains with vertical stripes in the pickup fit perfectly into the interior of the living room, which includes elements of decor similar in design. Curtains are perfectly combined with a dark window frame, emphasizing its style.
- The long red curtains in the floor create a bright accent in the living room, made in soothing light colors. They visually make the ceiling higher, enliven the setting, emphasizing the beauty of the dark flooring, in harmony with the restrained pattern on the walls.
- Blinds of a light brown wood shade fit well into a modern living room with furniture of clear, minimalistic forms and laconic interior decoration. They are combined with a touch of floor and coffee table, bringing variety to the muted colors of the living room.
How to arrange a window, you can see in the next video.