Features of the design of the ceiling in the living room
The design of a modern living room should be perfect, as this room is considered the “face” of the house. Therefore, in its design, great attention is paid not only to the finishing of the walls and the floor, but also to the ceiling, which is the main detail of any decor. Its properly chosen shape and color will make the living room stylish and cozy, fill the space with home warmth and will favorably emphasize the beauty of the rest of the interior elements. To date, there are many options for finishing the ceiling with the use of various building materials and structures, thanks to this, it is easy to choose the right theme and give the room a complete look.
Types and designs
The design of the ceiling in the living room can be done in different ways.Depending on the size and height of the room, they apply both the application of a decorating layer directly on the base itself and the installation of suspended compositions using gypsum board and canvases. Simple types of finishes include:
- Whitewash. Although this method is considered “old” and gradually losing its relevance, it remains in demand among the owners of apartments and houses, because whitewashing does not require special financial costs and is done quickly. To perform it, it is enough to apply a chalk or lime solution to the ceiling with a spray gun. In order for the surface to acquire the desired shade, special dyes are added to the solution. The main disadvantage of whitewashing is the need for time-consuming cleaning of the room after work and the careful elimination of surface defects before starting the work process.
- Painting. It is most often preferred in the usual repair in the hall. As the coating choose water dispersion and water-based paints of different colors. Painting can be carried out both expensive and cheap dyes. To make the ceiling beautiful, you must not only carefully prepare its base, but also apply the paint in several layers.
- Pasting by wall-paper. It is characterized by the cleanliness of the work, allows you to hide small joints and cracks on the surface of the ceiling. The aesthetic appearance of this finish is maintained for up to 5 years, then you need to perform the restoration. For pasting wallpaper acquire canvas of quality paper, consisting of several layers. Usually for these purposes choose wallpaper on vinyl base with a relief structure, they are durable and are not afraid of wet cleaning.
- Pasting tiles. Products are a decorative material of various colors and sizes, made of expanded polystyrene in the form of squares or rectangles. On the surface of the plates can be additionally applied original drawings and patterns. Today, on sale you can find smooth, rough surfaces of the material, tiles with imitation of wood and stucco decorations are also very popular. These inexpensive and easy-care products can be painted with water-based paint.
Modern ceilings in the living room are also designed in the form of complex structures, which are:
- Hinged. Well suited for surfaces in which you need to hide various defects and placed communications.Panels of the suspended composition can have any shape, texture and color. At the same time, they are necessarily complemented by beautiful lighting that allows you to create an unusual design.
- From plasterboard. Such finishing requires experience and skill in the performance of work. Two-level ceilings, which often make curvilinear, look originally in the living room. They have excellent sound and heat insulation, they serve reliably for many years.
But it is worth noting that the two-level frame is suitable only for high rooms. In the hall with a low ceiling it is better not to install it, because the height of the space will decrease by 15-20 cm. The elasticity of drywall allows it to take on different shapes. Designers recommend creating from it not only simple designs, but also multi-level decorations with domes and arches. Plasterboard and stretch ceilings are combined in an original way, representing unusual design options.
- Cassette. They are installed on a pre-made frame. The material has the form of thin plates of zinc and aluminum, on the front side of which a powder layer of multi-colored paint is applied.Making ceilings in this way, you can choose a plate with a rough or smooth surface. They are quickly installed, easy to clean, can hide the ventilation system, but are characterized by low sound insulation.
- Mirror. They are a type of cassette ceilings, but they use decorative mirrors instead of metal plates. Such decorations help to visually increase the height of the hall and give the room a volume. In addition, they are absolutely environmentally friendly and safe to use.
- Podshivny. They are curved surfaces of complex shapes, which are made of metal frame, sheets of drywall and decorative panels. They can be mounted on the ceiling, the irregularities of which do not exceed 1-2 cm. If it is planned to install wiring for communications and built-in lamps, this ceiling model will not work.
- Rack. Originally look like in the design of wooden houses, and city apartments. Due to the fact that the slats are made in different colors, they can be used to decorate any style in the living room. An unusual option is a material coated with gold or silver, chrome slats look great too.To trim the ceiling in this way, choose rack material with a glossy or matte surface.
- Stretch. Have the appearance of a solid canvas, which is made of durable vinyl polymers. First, around the perimeter of the hall, a frame made of laths is mounted, and then tensioning the material. On such a floating ceiling, you can apply the original pattern or design. Composition, as a rule, is performed from different colors and textures.
The design of the ceiling in the living room is made out of various materials, the choice of which depends on its design features. It is important to consider the correct placement of light sources and to hide electrical wiring. At the same time, any kind of decoration should be carried out with ecological products that would not only harmoniously fit into the general interior of the room, but also meet the conditions for safe operation. So, choosing a “flat” ceiling option for design will require wood, plaster, paint or wallpaper. As for the multi-level structures, they can have a mirror, glossy or matte appearance, which is usually created with the help of drywall, PVC panels and plastic plates.
Recently, the combination of the ceiling is also very popular, in which they make a suspended structure and decorate it with wooden beams and tension cloths. The finishing touch in this decor are moldings and stucco.
For many, single-level ceilings may seem unpresentable and simple, but if you choose the right finish, you get a completely original picture. For example, the ceiling, pasted over with ordinary wallpaper, will look faded, but if you apply beautiful canvas based on non-woven fabric or fabrics, its appearance will change.
Regardless of what type of ceiling will be chosen for the interior of the hall, for its design it is necessary to use quality materials, it is desirable to give preference to natural products. Great attention should also be paid to their texture and color.
The living room is a continuation of the overall design of the house. Therefore, in order to distinguish it in an original way against the background of other rooms and fill it with an unusual atmosphere, it is recommended to apply a certain stylistic direction in the decoration of the ceiling.To date, there are many styles for decorating ceilings, but the most important of them are:
- Rococo. It is characterized by a perfectly flat surface of beige, blue or white. At the same time, the ceiling should smoothly go into the walls. Often frescoes or sculptures are used as decorations, and they are also trying in every possible way to fill the background with a bronze and gold tint. The chandelier is usually located in the center of the ceiling and is a huge element decorated with crystal balls and pendants.
- Egyptian notes. They are characterized by relief paintings with antique themes. The ceiling is made simple; its only decoration can be a multi-figure bas-relief or a cornice. Allowed to paint the surface with floral ornaments. As a rule, blue, yellow, crimson and green colors prevail in the color range.
- Gothic. The ceiling is made in the form of floors from wooden beams or arches. To properly decorate, it is recommended to use only natural woods. A beautiful example is the white background of the walls in the hall, complemented by a black ceiling.
- Country As close as possible to nature and does not tolerate excesses. Ceilings from wooden beams are also used for it, from which they spread out unusual shapes. The color scheme is chosen spatial, and it is dominated by yellow, beige, brown and light chocolate hue.
- Classicism. The walls are separated from the ceiling by beautiful cornices or friezes. Often the surface is decorated with gilded ornaments and stucco. Colors are chosen light, bright colors are completely excluded.
- Renaissance. Its distinctive feature is clarity and simplicity, so contrasting compositions are not allowed. As a light you can use both spotlights and modest chandeliers. The ceiling is installed at different levels, but in each of them there should be smooth lines. The color solution is selected depending on the general background of the living room.
- Kitsch. It is a bright and exotic option for the ceiling. Provides for the use of different colors, which may not be combined with each other. For example, the base is made bright blue and framed by its cornices, decorated with sparkles or stars.Kitsch is often chosen for living rooms decorated with bay windows.
- Eclecticism. An interesting direction that combines both Western and Eastern motifs. Unusually look such ceilings that combine at the same time modern, baroque and high-tech. In this case, the ceiling can be either monotonous or include individual color inserts. The original addition to the design in this case will be a forged chandelier and embossed baguettes.
- Classic characterized by such a finish, in which ceilings always look individually and unique. In a classical decor, as a rule, light and pastel shades prevail. Designs can be single-level and stepped. Beautiful chandeliers are used as lighting and they are complemented by illumination from spotlights. Perfectly look such ceilings, decorated with stretched canvas, covered with wallpaper or covered with decorative plaster.
- Modern Suitable for home owners who love everything new and modern. In this decoration, contrasting compositions, inserts from mirror surfaces and photo print are welcome. For the living room in this direction, 3D ceilings are well suited, creating an unusual feeling of lightness and weightlessness.
Traditionally, a large chandelier is installed in the living rooms in the center of the ceiling, but this option is usually suitable for simple decor. As for the complex and multi-level structures, for their illumination it is necessary to use other more stylish methods of organizing lighting. For example, a good choice would be spotlights, which can complement a large ceiling with an original design. A huge role in the choice of light sources plays and the area of the room. Ordinary chandeliers are suitable for small rooms, and it is best to decorate living rooms with a low ceiling with several recessed lamps and place a floor lamp in the room.
Recently, homeowners prefer to make ceilings, consisting of many levels. This architectural composition looks presentable, but if you do not worry about its lighting, the decor will be spoiled, especially if brown is selected for the ceiling. To avoid this, it is recommended to mount several types of lighting in the living room.
A good idea would be to use an indoor light, which allows you to highlight unusual details on the ceiling.Its original complement stylish glass lamp, while for the decor of such a ceiling is best to choose spotlights, they will original shimmer with different shades and create a romantic atmosphere in the room. False-type devices are also very popular, they are presented in various saturations and colors.
Tips for choosing
Before you design the ceiling in the living room, it is recommended that you first make a good repair in it and expand the space. If this is a private house with high ceilings, then its interior can be diversified with multi-level structures. In the "Khrushchev", where the room is small and its area does not exceed 18 square meters. m, you will need to apply different design ideas and visually raise the space.
To make the ceiling stylish and unique, you must adhere to the following tips:
- Choose for finishing natural materials. They are not only considered environmentally friendly, but also look great against the general background of the interior. Both wooden constructions and stone imitation products will be suitable.
- Consider the geometry.Recently in fashion clear lines with proportional shapes. In this case, the surface can be decorated with patterns or drawings with unusual geometric shapes. Original look compositions in the form of squares, triangles and ovals.
- Pay attention to the color design. To date, stretched canvas made of satin, imitating metal are very popular. Ceilings with a hint of tin, copper or brass can be an excellent choice.
- Use in the decoration of minimalism. Simplicity and modesty are always in fashion. To diversify a monophonic background, it is possible to apply a list with folklore motives on the basis of a ceiling.
Beautiful examples in the interior
- The most beautiful ceiling for the living room is the suspended structure, decorated with canvases, it looks fresh and stylish. In addition, its installation is fast and allows you to perfectly level the surface, and a wide choice of materials and colors suitable for any design style.
- Suspended ceilings with photo printing deserve special attention, their original design can be represented by various drawings and compositions.For the living room are suitable options with images of the sky, due to their volume effect, the living room becomes spacious and open, the effect of infinity is created in the room.
- Interesting ideas with 3D paintings in the form of drops. It expands the space in a special way and fills the hall with an unusual atmosphere. For drawings, you can choose different sizes. Such ceilings are well suited for living rooms decorated in modern style, as well as for homeowners, who prefer everything unusual in design.
- Often the design uses a combination of stretch fabric with drywall. It is best to choose a monochrome surface with gloss. It looks noble and helps to further emphasize the interior of the room.
- In a special way, both in the apartment and in the country house the ceilings with beams look. Natural wood gives the living room comfort and a sense of natural warmth. At the same time, for the decor beams of dark shades are recommended, which will fit beautifully into the overall decor of the room.
Such designs are considered to be an excellent choice for all types of styles, they do not need additional finishing, they can be applied to one level or step ceilings.In order to emphasize their beauty, it is necessary to lay laminate or parquet in the room, and place the furniture made of natural wood.
How to choose a design for your living room, see the next video.