Interior living room: modern design ideas
Home improvement is impossible without the proper creation of the interior of the living room. It is important to think through all the design elements, ranging from the dominant shade of the room, lighting and ending with the selection of small accessories in the right materials. It is necessary to arrange the space in such a way that it is comfortable to be in it. We create the interior of the living room: we consider modern design ideas.
Creating an interior composition of the living room begins with a study of the design features of the room and taking into account its area. Often, the layout of the room has a broken prospect, which complicates the process of finishing, the location of furniture and accessories.It is important to think about how to visually get rid of the curvature of the walls, the small height of the ceiling, change the perception of columns, protrusions and niches, make the setting comfortable and free from limitations.
Much depends on the size of windows, doorways, side of door opening. If the area of space is small, the possibilities of the color palette, the number of stylish accessories, the appearance and size of the furniture items change.
After inspecting and assessing the possibilities of stylistics, a specific functional style of design is selected, which is capable of adjusting to the comfortable atmosphere with home comfort. The living room is a common place, so all households should like the style. It’s another thing if there is only one owner living in the apartment: in this case, there are more stylistic possibilities, you can design for a creative studio or an abstraction.
In any case, the interior of the living room should be like, otherwise it will be uncomfortable to be in the room. Copying ideas from a photo catalog without adjusting to your own preferences and hobbies is unacceptable. You can use a stylish and fashionable idea, but you should customize it to your own interests.
The peculiarities of drawing up the interior of the hall corresponding to modern and fashionable trends include:
- the correspondence of the shades of color design to the temperament and age of the household;
- the use of the “right” furniture corresponding to the particular design style chosen;
- use in the composition of the situation no more than 4 basic shades with the dominant of one of them;
- the presence of the functionality of most interior items;
- simplicity and convenience of care for interior items, their resistance to accidental mechanical damage and moisture;
- sufficient level of illumination of the room, as close as possible to natural daylight;
- the correct arrangement of furniture, not blocking up free space of the room;
- right zoning of separate functional zones, by means of which the unobtrusive organization of each segment of space is created in the interior;
- the choice of tones for decoration, not annoying the psyche and not able to develop a depressive state (the influence of color is a scientifically proven fact);
- use in the decoration and furnishing of environmentally friendly materials that are harmless to human health and do not emit toxic substances into the air;
- involvement in the furnishing of items corresponding to the same style: it is unacceptable to mix styles in one space;
- moderate eclecticism: the correct fit into the interior of modern finishing materials under the guise of the desired style;
- pointing to the delicate taste of the owners of the house, the inadmissibility of a sharp emphasis on luxury.
Fashion trends and new items
The modern approach to the design of the living room is not limited in the choice of style and color.
Subjecting to the specific features of the planning perspective, it has several fashionable nuances:
- the priority is to emphasize niches, columns, protrusions, panels: this way you can beat the flaws and pass them off as room merits;
- modern rules dictate a clear division of space, especially in an ordinary apartment, where it is often not enough;
- the design does not provide objects that clutter the room: the number of furniture and accessories should be moderate and even minimal, so the furnishings gain significance and expressiveness;
- naturalness and practicality of finishing materials matters: it is expressed in composition and shade, thanks to which the materials do not bother the eyes and eliminate the need to re-repair or adjust problem areas of the finish;
- the accent of the hall is subordinated to the convenience of the location of objects: they should not interfere with movements around the room and are designed to maintain a homely atmosphere
- Much attention is paid to the visual adjustment of the perspective: the ceiling of the hall should be high, the larger the space, the more interesting its composition consisting of several levels should be.
The focus is on the combination of finishing materials. In the decoration, you can mix wallpaper with each other and other finishing materials, use decorative techniques, combining different materials of the lining by means of color, pattern or texture.
A combination of different methods of stretching the imperfections of space is allowed, from alternating wallpapers to drawing up original art galleries, panels or exhibition accent zones with their help.
At the same time, you can always find a practical raw material that will serve for more than 15 years when used carefully, without needing to be replaced.
The times when the living room was a pompous room are a thing of the past. Today, even the classic style, based on the demonstration of high status, is somewhat modified,although the key elements of the classics remain the same: a massive chandelier decorated with crystal and candles, rich wooden furniture, mirrors and decor with gold leaf.
Classical trends, which include Italian style, neoclassicism and classicism, now emphasize functionality and freedom of space: the number of furnishings is reduced, the tones are chosen so as not to create unnecessary gravity and not to remind the situation of the past. Modern additions to classical elements of palace aesthetics, preferring symmetry and strict geometry of forms, are added, for example, in the form of a laconic picture or photo in a simple frame, smoothing out antique details of the situation.
Interesting and fashionable trends in the interior of the living room today are:
- Avant-garde - an innovative solution with the skillful use of colorful parts, the use of the latest materials and home appliances, creative furniture, highlighting of niches, exhibition racks and furniture according to a conceived project;
- English - a combination of conservatism, homelyness and a certain sophistication, the use in the interior of extremely expensive items and facingmaterials (wooden furniture and wicker chairs, stonework, antique elements, bronze finish, original tea tables and the absence of empty shelves and surfaces are a priority: it’s nice if they have a nice knick-knack);
- Antique - an excellent choice of spaces in which there are columns or vault framing doors or mirrors: bas-reliefs, niche arrangements, gypsum stucco molding, painting and a smooth polished floor covering, furniture made of carved and curved legs, original cabinets and chests with inlays are appropriate. mosaics, drapery curtains;
- Modern - a stylish choice of those who are interested in aesthetic sensuality, style promotes the use of expensive, visually distinguished materials (wood of the best species) and decor: the use of gypsum stucco in the decoration of the ceiling, stained glass windows, forging elements, moldings, decorative panels, accessories with antique hint, the presence of compact furniture with original carving and smooth forms;
- Minimalism - the choice of those who are extremely important simplicity and the creation of space: current trends dictate the lack of decor,minimal set of laconic cabinet furniture without relief and print of upholstery, a clear division into functional areas, neutral colors, multi-level lighting, the presence of glass and wooden furnishings;
- Postmodernism - arrangement of living room space in the spirit of creative freedom with a variety of new forms, symmetry and asymmetry, using tones with fluorescence and different shades in the setting: the furnishings of this interior are futuristic, somewhat extravagant, can have strict and streamlined outlines, in the interior there are various niches, glass inserts , additions from metal and plastic;
- Scandinavian - an appropriate reception of the decor of the space with large panoramic windows, in which the use of natural eco-friendly materials in the decoration of walls, the manufacture of compact functional furniture and transparent curtains is welcomed.
The color palette of the design style is multifaceted. Sometimes the interior demonstrates one tone of different degrees of saturation, showing the beauty of color and the depth of space.
The main fashionable rules for the color solution of the interior of the hall are:
- calm and muted shades of the palette;
- elimination of two-tone rivalry (moderation of a bright accent);
- underlining the bright tone contrasting;
- engaging in a setting of natural shades diluted with white;
- maximum use of warm colors in the interior, or their contrast with 1 fresh shade;
- exclusion from the situation of abundance of brightness, from which the eyes get tired.
Fashionable tones of the living room interior design are combinations:
- white + pale yellow + brick + light wenge;
- monochrome gamma + wenge and blue;
- warm beige + orange + white and brown;
- white + gray + turquoise + brown;
- white + beige + brown + light gray;
- beige + golden + brown + coral;
- white + black + light brown + terracotta.
In the design of the hall using different materials, the composition of which depends on the specific themes of design and the chosen style. These are textiles for curtains, decorative elements of furnishings, carpets.
Basically, in order to maintain the desired disposing atmosphere, natural materials are used in the design: cotton, wool, silk, and sometimes flax, jacquard and tapestry fabrics.Along with them, high-quality synthetic materials (for example, polyester) that are relevant to modern design styles are common today.
Often, for modern interiors, manufacturers mix fabric fibers, achieving the highest possible practical and operational characteristics. So blankets, upholstery, furniture covers and carpeting last longer, while not fade in the sun and it is easier to tolerate cleaning, without changing the external qualities.
Curtains today should be light, relieving the room from clear boundaries and a feeling of heaviness. Massive curtains with lambrequins are often replaced by light curtains or a transparent veil.
In some stylistics, the amount of textiles in space is minimized: the windows may not have it at all, while in the upholstery of furniture it must be monophonic and expensive (for example, it may be genuine leather).
Facing materials of the hall, used for finishing walls and floors, should emphasize the main accent zones, while being distinguished by high quality and practical characteristics. For the floor buy floorboard, parquet, laminate and high-class linoleum, designed for places with high traffic.
In facing, different methods of combining are used, for example, highlighting zones that are different in practicality and maneuverability, thereby playing with the lack of space or indicating that the furnishings of a particular zone are clearly belonging to a particular zone. Today it is fashionable to combine laminate and tile, parquet and laminate, lay the floor covering with linoleum tile: these techniques allow you to diversify each space, sometimes creating unique patterns in the form of imitation carpet, abstract compositions.
As a wall decoration, modern methods of facing are contrasts of wallpaper and other finishing materials: it is often possible to create a unique style, emphasize the individuality of the design, beat the disadvantages of space and light.
Universal reception finishes, available to everyone, are wallpapers. Today they are presented in a wide range: the best grades of rolled and packaged products are suitable for decorating the walls of the living room. The priority is non-woven, textile, liquid and glass wall. These materials are kept on the vertical planes and the ceiling for a long time, they are simple in facing, they look beautiful and expensive,have a lot of additional effects (for example, fire resistance, antibacterial impregnation, protection to moisture, painting), allow the desired atmosphere and mood to be conveyed through a pattern.
Modern living room furniture is subject to the features of the layout and available space. If space is limited, buy products transformers that look compact when folded, if necessary, are transformed into a comfortable bed.
In a large room looks great wooden furniture without frills. In the fashion side tables, with a minimum size to accommodate the most necessary for work or treat guests. At the same time, coffee and coffee tables acquire additional functionality, look weightless, having a painted surface or photo printing.
Often the components of the furniture are cabinets and racks, allowing to give the room originality through glass or mirror facades.
Modern decorative elements that can bring the desired mood into the living room space are:
- wall and ceiling lamps of different stylistics and design (combination of a chandelier withpoint diode lamps);
- artistic painting and abstract paintings in simple frames;
- original figurines and vases, emphasizing the idea of design;
- fireplace zones, highlighted by contrasting finishing material;
- decorative pillows of various shapes and textures;
- texture of the relief of the wallpaper, embossed print, using monograms, vertical stripes and gilding in the pattern;
- the multilevel ceiling area decorated with moldings and stucco;
- original mini-rugs of unusual shape from the silhouette of an animal to the shape of a giant insect;
- highlighting of shelving, bay and guest areas;
- decoration of tabletops and other surfaces with fresh flowers;
- the combination of rough surfaces (brick, masonry) with an imitation of communication (beams, pipes), giving space to an industrial facility;
- the selection of a coffee table due to its unusual shape and its support in the form of eclectic accessories of identical color.
Today, great attention is paid to the lighting of the hall. Regardless of the style, there should be several sources of light in the living room space, and different in decor and size.
The main thing is the central lighting, which fills most of the room with light. At the same time it should contain glass, crystal, metal. To illuminate the walls or the guest area, you can use antique sconces or lamps with closed plastic shades that gently dissipate the light flux.
The use of unnatural hues of the light beam (red, green, blue, violet) is unacceptable: they inhibit the psyche, a natural soft and warm shade of light is allowed.
Original ideas of stylistics, relevant in different cases of design, include:
- the use of screens and glass partitions in case the layout of the room is open, but it is necessary to delimit the space;
- the selection of protrusions or columns with textured wallpaper with imitation of brickwork, or, if there are two protrusions, with photo wallpapers of an identical pattern limiting the accent zone between the protrusions;
- setting the tone for a room by choosing a wallpaper of light shades with a relief texture, mixing wallpaper panels with laminated, plastic panels;
- creating a living room of two floors in the presence of a large space, equipping large functional areas with a smooth transition of areas from guest to kitchen or dining;
- activation in the guest area of a large set of furniture in the presence of space (sofa, armchairs, sofa, coffee table, two attached tables with table lighting, two non-standard stools or couches).
Beautiful examples of interior design
To see how the modern design of a living room in a country house or a regular apartment looks like, you can refer to examples of photo gallery stylists, taking an idea from them, correcting it for specific interesting and financial possibilities:
- The living room combined with the dining area looks stylish and beautiful if you take the sun and muted lilac shades as the basis for the stylistics, add olive and brown colors to the furnishings: using partitions you can divide the space using different materials in different zones , animal skin, velvet pillows decor, in the dining room - wooden and plastic furniture);
- If there is a lot of space in the room, you can equip the guest area with a large corner sofa, an armchair and two tables in contrasting sand, gray and turquoise shades, connecting the interior details by means of decorative pillows and carpet,making shades expressive due to the brown color of the floor covering and the details of furnishing;
- In a room of 12-17 square meters. m for harmonious arrangement it is enough to arrange light furniture (linear sofa, a simple coffee table with a glass tabletop and a cabinet), accenting the guest space with a medium-sized long carpet pile, adding white curtains with brown curtains to the decor, dividing the accent wall with contrasting shades of wallpaper.
The designer in the next video will tell you about the modern design ideas of the living room.