We make a living room in a classic style
Classic in the interior looks great in private homes and city apartments. Especially organic classic design can look in the living room. Since predominantly such interiors are designed in bright colors, it is possible to successfully create a classic setting in a spacious and in a very small living room. There is a misconception that classic interiors are very expensive, but you can always find more affordable counterparts with high prices. In order for the interior to be harmonious and budget, it is important to think through all the details in advance, from the finish to the furniture and accessories.
A classic-style living room is an uneasy design project. The situation should be moderately restrained, refined, but in no way boring.If you plan your own design of the hall and you are seduced by a classic, you may encounter some problems. First, often too restrained interiors look uncomfortable, the living room can look empty and uninhabited. Secondly, in trying to make the interior more interesting, you can choose too diverse elements that will not fit well.
To design a successful and stylish, consider the features characteristic of the classical style in the interior:
- Classic interiors are almost always bright. Bright and dark colors are typical except for neoclassicism, but they are found in furniture and accessories, but not in decoration. Light colors visually expand the space and will look great in the living room with any layout. At the same time, there is a risk that such an interior will become dull and impersonal: in order to avoid this, designers are advised to minimize the pure white color and use more complex pastel colors.
- It should be borne in mind that for such a design, the rough finish of an apartment must be of very high quality. If the uneven walls and ceilings in a modern interior can be made invisible thanks to the texture of the wallpaper and dark shades, on the smooth light surfaces characteristic of classical interiors,all flaws will be noticeable.
- It is necessary to distinguish baroque, classical and neoclassical in the interior design - the mixture of these styles will not look organically. The classics in the interior are characterized by discreet luxury, and any decorative elements and decorations should be unobtrusive. Baroque, on the contrary, is characterized by an abundance of decorative accessories, curled patterns on furniture and gilding. Neoclassicism is a combination of elements of classical and modern style - such interiors look simpler and more diverse in their design.
- Although initially it was customary to design spacious rooms in classic interiors, they are perfectly suited for a small hall. The classic suggests a light color scheme and a fairly minimalist discreet design - it is thanks to this that the small living room will look good. If you make out in a classic spacious room of 17 square meters. m, you should take care of the accessories so that this interior was interesting and cozy.
Finishing is the first thing you should start to implement your living room design project.If in many styles the finishing can be done independently, then for the decoration of the classic interior it is better to use the services of professionals: the quality of the finishing for the classics is of prime importance, since any flaws will be clearly visible.
Beforehand, it is worthwhile to consider finishing the floor, ceiling and walls so that they harmonize with each other.
Finishing the floor is very important not only for beauty, but also for comfort.
Consider the following good flooring options for a classic-style living room:
- The best option is, of course, parquet. Most often choose oak or cherry boards. The artistic style of such a parquet can look very stylish - you can create the most unusual patterns. Such a floor will not only look very nice, it will also be pleasant to walk on it - the parquet is considered to be a fairly warm surface. Of the minuses, it is necessary to take into account the high price of parquet, as well as the fact that the wooden flooring requires care and care.
- Often in classic interiors and carpet use. It can be red, green, beige or any other color, usually monophonic.This is a pleasant coating that looks great and can be the highlight of the whole interior. At the same time, without proper care, carpet can quickly become unusable - especially if you have chosen light shades.
- Tile is another version of the flooring for the interior in a classic style, it can be monophonic, multi-colored and even laid out in a mosaic. Its main disadvantage is a cold flooring. If you like to walk around the house barefoot even in winter and do not plan to do floor heating, this option is unlikely to suit you.
Wall decor in the interior is of particular importance. It is on the walls that our attention is drawn when we enter the room. Therefore, it is important to consider the color, texture and decorative elements, as well as ensure that they are combined with the ceiling, floor and walls. For a setting in the neoclassical style, colored or dark versions may be suitable, but if you want to make the setting as traditional as possible, you should select only pastel colors.
Coloring of walls is one of the most popular ways of finishing in a classical interior. At the same time they should be perfectly smooth.You should not choose a pure white color - you can always replace it with a milky or ivory shade. You should also consider beige, pink, blue, and their various combinations.
You can buy wallpaper in bright colors, which will also perfectly fit into a classic or neoclassical living room. Monochrome wallpapers or with inconspicuous ornamental prints are suitable for a strict situation.
If you like the modern interpretation of the classics, you can choose wallpaper in more saturated colors with floral patterns or striped wallpaper.
Among the fashionable novelties in the decoration of the walls is worth noting textile wallpaper. It is a natural coating containing silk, linen or bamboo fibers. These wallpapers can look very interesting - they resemble a real fabric. You can find options with different patterns or embroidered tapestries in a variety of colors. It should be borne in mind that these wallpapers require careful care and have a fairly high price.
In the classic interior is often placed on the walls and additional decor.
The following items may suit you:
- The molding is a relief patch on the wall, which can be made of plasterboard or plastic. Usually they are white, in the form of frames or patterns. Different moldings can be combined with each other, creating a unique design. First of all, this is an option for painted walls in the living room.
- If you want to place the frescoes in the apartment, the living room is best suited for this. Decorative fresco on the wall can become the semantic center of the room and add a special highlight to your decor.
- Often, the walls of classical interiors are decorated with stucco. Most often these are plaster images of human figures or objects that are attached to the walls. With the help of such figures you can create very interesting compositions - the decor of the room will really resemble a real palace.
The design of ceilings usually does not differ a variety. Theoretically, you can make it colored or even place some image there. However, most often such decisions are inappropriate, especially if we are talking about classic interiors. Therefore, ceilings are usually made white and as inconspicuous as possible.
Consider the following finishing options:
- Simple coloring is suitable for the design of ceilings with a perfect rough finish. On a flat surface, it always looks stylish and does not require much effort.
- If you need to hide minor irregularities or cracks, try to lay out the ceiling with foam plates. This is an affordable economy class option that will look great and give any ceilings a neat look.
- Suspended ceilings - on the contrary, quite an expensive finish. In addition, this solution is only suitable for owners of apartments with high ceilings. At the same time, the hinged ceiling can be made ideally even without the slightest flaws.
Furniture in a classic style should be restrained, but very refined. Often used materials such as leather, silk, wood and stone. These are quite expensive covers, but they guarantee the durability of products, and classic-style furniture never goes out of fashion. However, if your budget is limited, it is possible to replace expensive things with cheaper counterparts - synthetic textiles, artificial leather, chipboard and plastic. If you choose high-quality pieces of furniture, they will look no less good.
The sofa is the integral subject of an interior practically of any drawing room. It can be large or miniature, straight or angular - everything will depend on the layout of your room and its size: obviously, for a small room you should not choose too large models. As for the finish, the sofa can be completely textile or have a wooden base. The natural color of the tree is suitable for neoclassicism, and for a traditional interior it is better to choose a tree painted in white - possibly with gilding or painting. As for the material, it looks great light skin and silk with interesting embroidery.
Armchairs should be placed in a spacious living room, if you have a large family or you like to gather in this room with friends. Often they are chosen under the sofa, sometimes they are even made of the same material and in the same style. In this case, an interesting solution could be the placement of the cardinally unlike armchairs - especially if you want to divide the living room into zones.
The combination of different materials, colors and design solutions can be interesting in appearance - so you can bring a highlight even in a strict classical interior.
Private houses often place a fireplace - it can become the semantic center of a room in a classic style and will look very organic in such an environment. Even if you furnish a room in an apartment, it is quite possible to purchase an electric fireplace. Now you can find a very diverse model, including in the classical style. This detail will certainly make the room more comfortable.
A coffee table is another necessary thing in the living room. Often these tables are even a few, if there is a similar need. For an interior in a classic style, you can buy very interesting models of marble, artificial stone or wood - most often they are white models, with the exception of neoclassical interiors. Interesting and organic can look models with curved legs, with ornaments in the Baroque style and with built-in lockers. In neoclassicism you can try to pick up a table made of cast iron and stained glass.
Almost in every living room you need a bookcase or a rack with open shelves, drawers and cabinets. In classic interiors it is often miniature and low cabinets - if you need to store a lot of things, it is better to put several such models. The choice of color and design will depend on what kind of finish you choose.You can keep books, magazines, photo albums, CDs, children's toys, vases, dishes and various decorative accessories in such cabinets.
In the classic interior is very important to be competent lighting. Many do not pay attention to the choice of chandeliers, but it is the right light that determines our perception of the interior, allows us to place accents and creates a feeling of comfort in the room. For a small room and a medium sized living room, one chandelier will do, and for a spacious room you can choose several light sources.
Luxurious chandeliers with a sophisticated design and several bright lamps will look best in a classic interior. Usually these are models imitating traditional candelabra, in which lamps are installed in the shape of candles. Also, these chandeliers can be decorated with crystals, ornaments, referring to the Baroque, and gilding.
Another topical option is the classic chandelier with shades. If the imitation of a chandelier with candles introduces solemn and strict notes to the interior, making the room look like a palace, the luminaires look more simply and comfortably, creating diffused light and chamber atmosphere.At the same time, the design of such a chandelier with shades can be different - from a rather strict laconic version to models with an abundance of details and decorative elements.
As an additional lighting, you may like wall lights - they can be used to divide the space into several zones or simply add brightness to the main lighting. The design of such lamps should be combined with the chandelier. You can find interesting options with shades, as well as stylish refined models that imitate candles.
A table lamp or a floor lamp is a thing that is also often placed in the living room. Such lighting can be useful if you like to read or do needlework in the evening. Models can be very different. It will be good if the floor lamp coincides with the chandelier in style, especially in small rooms.
If you have a spacious room, you can afford more diverse elements.
Colors and decor
The colors in the traditional classic style are somewhat limited. Nevertheless, even for such an environment, you can pick up interesting and unusual color combinations.If you like brighter and more varied interiors, try to decorate the living room in a neoclassical style - it allows more freedom in choosing colors.
A classic-style living room in beige colors is one of the most successful options. Warm color range contrasts with the severity of such an interior, allows you to create comfort in the room. You can combine beige with ivory, with gray or olive shades. In addition, gilding and wood look especially good in such an interior.
Living in muted lilac shades is a stylish option for romantic natures. If the pastel shades of pink often look unnecessarily simple, the light tones of violet will look much more interesting and elegant. You can add zest to the interior in color combinations: if the combination of lilac with blue or white seems familiar, the combination with warm gray and pastel yellow can be very original and perfectly fit into any classic interior.
Living room in gray and blue shades can also look very stylish.At the same time, in combination with the classic design, such colors for the hall may turn out to be unnecessarily cold, so particular attention should be paid to bright accents in the interior.
Often in classic interiors there are also muted shades of green, but they often appear as complementary in combination with other colors. For example, green can be perfectly combined with a milky shade of white and with muted shades of cherry or brick color.
Neoclassicism is characterized by brighter colors.
You can choose rich burgundy, dark blue, brown or emerald. They also need to be combined with rich colors to make the interior harmonious. In contrast to the light shades, it is worthwhile to emphasize perhaps the individual elements of the decor that you want to emphasize.
Especially it is worth thinking about the color range of decorative elements and accessories - decoration and furniture in classic interiors are usually restrained and not too bright, so it is thanks to small decorative elements that you can express yourself and refresh austere interior.
In a classic setting, the following items may look good:
- The carpet will perfectly fit into any classic interior and will become its stylish addition. It can be bright enough - monophonic or with traditional ornaments.
- Fretwork, sculptures and statues - these are details that do not carry any practical sense in the interior, but they will help to further emphasize the luxury of a classic setting. It is worth placing them in drawing rooms of the average size and in spacious rooms. If you have a small room, it is better to limit yourself to exclusively functional things.
- Photo albums and photo frames can take a special place in the interior. If you have long dreamed of a photo gallery in the living room, you can place it on one of the coffee tables or on the shelves. You can just hang the pictures on the walls - they will help to revive a strict interior.
- Also in these interiors looks good and classic painting. If the walls seem too empty to you, you can pick up a few paintings for your living room - landscapes are usually placed, still lifes are less common. Also now you can make a family portrait to order - it can be a great decoration of the living room.
- If you have free space, you can place a small electric fountain in the living room - it will look stylish and will make the interior especially chic.
- Watches are an important thing in a classic interior. They can be wall or desktop. If you are going to hang a clock on the wall, it is best to choose options from precious woods. Desk clock can be made of metal or stone.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Whatever detail you choose for your classic interior, it is important that it fit into the decor of the entire room.
Consider a few good design decisions that you can take note of:
- Determine the semantic center of the room - it can be a fireplace, a painting, a table or a TV. The composition should be built around this center.
- The spacious rooms will look good set of bright accents - dishes, vases, unusual handles of cabinets, small ornament on upholstered furniture and wallpaper. If you have a small living room, on the contrary, bright spots should be monotonous and large - for example, a carpet or a large painting on the wall.
- If you have a long spacious living room, you can divide the space in it into several zones - they do not have to be square, it can be interesting to separate them and diagonally.You can select different zones with just the help of light, and you can add a difference in the color scheme. Finally, you can make an arch or column that will help to delimit the space more clearly.
Tips designer on the design of the living room in a classic style, see the following video.