Carpets made from the fur of animals are very popular. Fur carpet or bedspread is not uncommon in the apartment. No wonder. The product from natural material in many respects surpasses similar things from synthetics.
Such a carpet will bring coziness, style and comfort to the room. Fur floor coverings harmoniously and stylishly look in living rooms, bedrooms, offices.
The use of animal skins for various purposes goes back deep into antiquity. Primitive ancestors, who lived in caves or in open spaces, used the fur and skins of animals killed in the hunt for heating.
They hid them, laid them on the stone floor of the dwelling or on the ground, built shelters of shelters from them to protect them from the cold wind or rain. At that time, the question of style and design, of course, was not yet raised.
Times went by, and humanity moved to separate dwellings. The need to preserve heat remained, and the natural desire of a person to decorate his house was added to it. Animal skins and fur rugs adorned the knights' castles in the Middle Ages. The palaces of the nobility in Europe and Russia were also made to decorate with various elements of the decor of the skins.
Russia has always been especially rich in fur animals. They continued to make clothes from animal skins, but already beautiful and fashionable. Each time had its own fashion for things from natural material.
Modern consumers, perhaps, are the most sophisticated in a variety of models and types of carpet products from animal fur. Due to the high quality of production, coatings from the skins can not only warm. They have become a full-fledged and significant part of the interior design of the room.
Modern carpeting can be made of natural material, and can be artificial.
An artificial carpet, of course, will cost much less. Many models are very good copy of these skins and fur. Animals are not affected in their manufacture, which is very important for some people.
Artificial carpets imitate natural material with their appearance. It can be a “white wolf”, a “tiger-like” coloring, a “gray chinchilla” or a “mountain goat”.
The most popular and sought-after types of carpets made from natural hides include the following options:
- Natural coatings are the most popular products made from the skins of cows, sheep and rabbits. They are the least expensive of natural options, but not inferior to them in quality. Such floor coverings are practical, respond well to repainting to another color if necessary.
- Carpets from calf and cow hides fit well into almost any interior.
- Sheep skins are usually used as a small rug, or several skins are stitched together in one rug.
- Rabbit things are also cross-linked.
- Bear skins are more expensive. They have a brown color and a long nap. Such specimens are used more often in specific interiors.They are suitable for decorating a country house, a hunting club or a study.
- Often, such a skin has the head of an animal. In the apartments, these things are not common.
The rarest are the skins of a bear with white fur.
Wolf carpets are also rarely used in apartments. The pile of such material is somewhat shorter. Wolf skins can be gray, black or white, as well as mixed color.
Furs of wild animals along with the head part are often placed on the walls and floor of hunters as a trophy.
Some features of the fur of wild animals.
- Deer floor coverings are similar to products made from calfskin. Deer Pile is softer and more pleasant to the touch. Coloring can be varied. Such materials can be sewn into a large carpet, or it can be a small rug from one skin.
- Products from the skins of alpacas are the most soft, gentle, pleasant to the touch. They are very similar to carpets from chinchilla fur. Elements of natural carpet can be made in the form of a pattern or repeating geometric shapes. The colors are usually soft: white, soft gray or light brown.
- A relative new and fashionable trend has become carpets and floor coverings made of fox, sable and mink. They have a sophisticated look, a pleasant and soft to the touch pile. Such carpet products are in a high price category.
- Especially popular are carpets made of stitched pieces of skins, in the form of an ornament or pattern. The size and shape of such a product can vary according to your desire.
- The most expensive carpet options are made from a muton, chinchilla, sable or snow leopard. Such models are not available to everyone due to the rarity and uniqueness of the fur of the animals used. However, these things are in demand, as they are suitable for imparting exquisite design and style of interiors.
- The rarest and most expensive carpets are made from the skin of a white tiger.
- Carpets can only be made from animal skin and not contain fur on the surface. Such options are most hypoallergenic. The most commonly used skin is cow or crocodile skin.
How to choose?
Next, we consider the criteria for choosing a quality carpet of fur.
- First you need to decide: your preference falls on an artificial or natural carpet.For people who do not accept the killing of animals, the choice in this case will be obvious.
- The second criterion is the price category. As already mentioned, artificial carpet is the most inexpensive and affordable. Further, the cost varies depending on the desired size of the canvas, the complexity of the form and value of the fur of the animal.
- Of course, the important role played by the appearance of the product, its color, the length of the pile. The choice of flooring will depend on your wishes and the interior space. You can consult with the designer.
- You can also order a layout of the room layout in a computer program from a design specialist and choose the appearance of the carpet that best fits into the interior of your house or apartment.
- If people who are prone to allergies to animal hair live in the house or apartment, the choice of carpet will be complicated. Most likely, you will have to lean towards buying a lint-free leather and fur covering, or stop at a variant made of artificial material.
- If there are small children in the house, then it is worth thinking about the optimal length of the pile of the carpet that you plan to lay.On the one hand, the baby is pleasant to crawl on the fluffy soft coating on the floor. However, very young children strive to pull everything in their mouths, so that the nap from the carpet can also be there.
- Other factors, such as the presence of animals in the house, the average normal indoor temperature and humidity should also be taken into account.
- Many carpets from natural hides, especially rare and expensive, require special care and compliance with certain operating conditions. Try this as well think through.
- In the nursery, you can order coverage in the form of a silhouette of animals or fairy-tale characters. Even if the carpet is artificial, it will be fun and pleasant for the baby to crawl along the beautiful blue lake or green meadow on the floor of his room.
- The bedroom looks good stitched rug from goat skins dim colors. Covering a goat can cover the bed.
Options in the interior
Modern carpet products from leather and animal skins are presented in a very wide range of colors. The natural color of the fur can be changed or enhanced by the manufacturer.
Sometimes the fur is painted in quite bright and exotic colors.Carpets close to the natural colors are very popular. The animal's skin can also serve as a bedspread on the bed.
Carpets of classic square or rectangular shape with geometric patterns will harmoniously fit into any interior. For such a product does not require special styling of the room, on the contrary, it will organically complement and decorate the existing environment.
Carpets of bright coloring, monophonic or models with patterns will be suitable for a drawing room or the nursery. The shape can be classic or oval, round or asymmetrical.
Bold decisions in the form of animal skins in full size with the head part in the apartment are rarely used. They are suitable for styling country houses, hunting lodges, cabinets, themed clubs or restaurants.
How to care?
Natural fur floor coverings are not recommended to be placed in places where direct sunlight often falls. Leather base from the systematic effects of the sun can dry out, start to crack and tear.
Also avoid those places where you have to walk a lot on the carpet, including shoes.Fur and pile will quickly deteriorate and fall out from the constant friction of the shoes and the soles of the feet of the household.
Humidity plays a large role in the durability and preservation of natural carpet. In wet rooms, mold quickly forms on such a product.
If the fur from which the product is made is very gentle and soft, it is worthwhile to protect the coating from unnecessarily frequent cleaning and rinsing.
Chemicals can severely damage the pile, and frequent drying and spin will speed up the fur falling out of the carpet. If it is assumed that the floor covering will be walked frequently, then it is better to choose darker colors and coarse, durable wool, taking into account frequent washing and wear.
Products made of natural fur can be vacuumed, but turn on the vacuum cleaner at a low power and do not use washing equipment.
To remove small contaminants, it is not recommended to use aggressive chemical agents: powders, bleaches. It is better to use wet soft napkins or a cotton rag moistened with water (or a mild soap solution).
If the pollution cannot be removed by self-sparing means, then it is worthwhile to take the carpet to a dry-cleaner, where experts can remove the stain with a method suitable for the type of wool.
Do not wash or vacuum the carpet too often.Clean as necessary and real pollution.
If the skin or fur coat has been wetted, the wet area should be dried:
- Lift a damp piece of carpet by placing a thick book or other volume object under it.
- Dry both sides of the floor with a hair dryer.
- Make sure that the carpet is dry before putting it on the floor.
- In natural hides and skins, with excessive moisture, mold is rapidly developing.
In conclusion, it can be said that a floor covering with an artificial or natural nap is a very practical and stylish part of the interior. It is not surprising that in recent years, carpets of this type have again become actively in demand.
Modern production technology and design allow you to make a model for every taste. The newest painting technologies make it possible not to dwell only on natural colors. You can quite well repaint natural or artificial fur in a color or pattern that suits you.
In the next video you can see the varieties of fur carpets in the interior.