Choosing a Persian carpet
Iran is known for its exquisite handmade carpets. A good Persian carpet is a true work of art. Traditionally, woven products from Persia served not only to decorate the interior, but were also a profitable investment and passed down from generation to generation.
In ancient Persia, the weavers' workshops were located mainly in the main squares and in the shopping areas. Masters used for creativity only three tools - a flyer for a set of loops, a comb and a knife. Throughout its long history, the models have undergone some changes, but they are still made by hand at all stages of production. The most popular are manufactories in Isfahan. Now they are making Persian carpets with traditional ornaments, as well as options with a more modern design.
Production of any model begins with a sketch.Ornaments in the oriental style were usually depicted, but these days design has become more eclectic.
Threads of silk or wool are dyed with natural materials for each specific model. Then the ornament is manually recreated from the yarn.
Persian carpet can be stored for a very long time, and vintage items are of special value.
Handmade carpets from different cities and provinces of Iran vary. The following models are considered the highest quality and most beautiful:
- Products from the city of Isfahan became popular in Europe and Russia. Often, these models are copies of medieval carpets, but artists are also working on the creation of new patterns. They all have a medallion in the center, surrounded by floral prints, birds and flowers. The smaller the ornament, the more expensive the carpet.
- Models from Qom different fresh and unusual color palette. They are characterized by beige, turquoise, light green and milky shades. Products are made of real silk, and they are considered the most expensive among Iranian carpets.
- In the city of Tabriz masters weave ornaments on a red, brown or dark blue background. Often on the canvas depict palaces, mosques and historical episodes.Best of all, these models look on the floor in spacious rooms.
- In the city of Nain make models in bright colors - using a lot of green and blue shades. Often, the ornaments consist of branches of trees and flowers. These are rare carpet models for Iran that weave their cotton threads.
- Products from the province of Gabe considered the cheapest, and therefore, they are always popular among buyers. These models have a double-sided ornament. The low price is achieved due to the fact that there are almost no small details in the pattern. Small models are often decorated with such models in Europe.
Traditional Persian carpets are made from different threads. Wool is commonly used, but often individual manufactories specialize in silk and cotton products. Consider the features of all possible materials for woven carpets:
- Wool - the most popular material for the Iranian carpet. And the masters in ancient Persia, and modern weavers use sheep wool cork. It is very soft, smooth and pleasant to the touch. This material has never been in short supply in Persia. Moreover, this model helps to keep the heat indoors and is excellently stored for centuries.
- Sometimes for weaving products mix wool with silk.This combination allows you to give things shine and emphasize the individual elements of the ornament.
- Silk options without adding any other materials are the most expensive. They have a smooth texture and almost glossy shine. As silk wears out quickly, it is rarely woven from floor carpets. Most often made tapestry model for placement on the walls.
- Cotton used in Iranian carpet weaving rarely, but still sometimes occurs. This is a relatively cheap material, unlike wool and silk, so this option can be purchased at a low price.
Size and shape
When choosing a variant for a certain interior, the size and shape of the product will be decisive. In addition, the price depends on these parameters. The range of modern models is very wide, so you can certainly choose the perfect option for your room:
- Most Persian rugs have a rectangular shape. Such options can be both miniature and very large. The smallest carpets are used for the hallway, less often for a balcony or bathroom.
- In small apartments, carpets of medium size are popular.For spacious rooms, you can choose an instance that will cover almost the entire floor.
- For the decoration of long corridors, Persian woven paths are often chosen. These are rectangular carpets having an elongated shape.
- Round Persian carpets look especially harmonious, because their ornament mainly consists of soft smooth lines. They are miniature for the interior of the hallway or rather large - such models are usually placed in the dining room or living room.
- Oval options look interesting and unusual in any interior. Often they decorate the living room or bedroom. On oval carpets, the fringe is especially common, which gives the design even more originality.
Design solutions in Persian carpets are very diverse. Mostly they use various elements of the eastern ornament, which has existed for centuries. For this reason, the models are almost not influenced by fashion - this is a classic piece of furniture that will delight you for many years.
The most common eastern patterns are:
- Patterns with "medallion" they represent a ring ornament with a large circle or oval in the center. According to legend, it symbolizes the sun or the eye of God. Such models attract special attention, so they are well suited for interiors in the style of minimalism.
- Drawing "apshan" - it is a repeating small ornament that usually folds into diamonds or squares. The drawing consists of small plant and floral elements. This option does not stand out too much in the interior and is best suited for spacious rooms. In the small cars, a small ornament visually narrows the room.
- Mahi Ornament - This is a variation of the pattern with the “medallion”, however the circle in the center does not contrast with the background of the product, and around the perimeter there is a pattern resembling fish scales. It is believed that the inspiration for such a sketch in ancient times served as the smooth surface of the reservoir, which reflected the moon.
- Hashty - This is an ornament for a rectangular carpet. He divides the surface of the canvas into smaller rectangles of two colors, which alternate in a checkerboard pattern. On such a model depicted plant or abstract drawings.
- Drawing "Garden of Eden" - This is one of the frequent varieties of "hashty." Each cell depicts one of the plants - a flower, a shrub or a tree. These ornaments on one product are not repeated, the picture symbolizes harmony and abundance.
- For round and square variations characteristic ornament "gondbad". This is a symmetrical pattern on all sides with a small medallion in the center. The pattern symbolizes the dome of the mosque. Red, brown, peach and green are usually chosen for the ornament.
- Ornament "Eslim" It is a closed winding weave in dark shades on a light background. Usually these curved lines are supplemented with flowers and leaves. Ornament in the east is considered a symbol of infinity and eternal life.
Beautiful ideas in the interior
Persian carpet can perfectly complement the design of your apartment. It will suit lovers of the classics, fit into the colonial style and it will be interesting to look with the furniture in the Baroque style. Now designers in Europe, the USA and Russia are actively using Persian carpets to decorate a variety of rooms.
Mostly choose floor models. Hanging carpets on walls can be associated with Soviet aesthetics and appear old-fashioned.In addition, it is on the floor that the carpet performs its direct function — it serves to warm the surface.
For a quality product, it is always pleasant to go barefoot, regardless of whether it is made of pure wool, cotton, or silk. Such options are often placed by the bed, in the dining room, in the living room or on the loggia.
If you are just planning to renovate a new or old apartment, please note that it may not be easy to select a Persian carpet in an already decorated interior. The color scheme and the nature of the ornament are quite specific, so it is better to first buy a carpet, and only then select the furniture and the color of the wallpaper.
Pay attention to the following nuances:
- It is not necessary that the color of the carpet exactly matches the color of the furniture, floor or walls. It is important that he harmonizes with them. Under the bright woven model it is better to choose a more restrained furniture in pastel colors, and a bright carpet will emphasize the bright decor of the room.
- For spacious layouts, it is better to choose dark or bright carpets with a small pattern, and light-colored carpets with a large ornament are suitable for a small-sized room. So the space will be decorated more harmoniously.
Carpet also plays an important role in the layout of the room. If you have a studio apartment or a spacious combined room, with the help of two carpets with different designs you can successfully divide the space into zones. For example, it is possible to separate the dining room from the living room or in the large bedroom to allocate an area for work and create a semblance of an office.
The decor of the woven product in this case should be different in its style and color.
Despite the fact that usually Persian carpets for home decoration are chosen by adherents of the classics, it is possible to create with them interesting variants of interiors in a modern style.
For example, consider the following directions:
- Eclecticism Now popular in interior design. The combination of individual elements of different styles creates a unique atmosphere in the apartment. Usually such interiors are bright, life-affirming and express the individuality of the person who lives in them. Thanks to the eclectic approach, in one room you can safely combine the Persian carpet, wicker chairs, glass furniture, brick trim and abstract paintings.
- Persian carpet may be interesting to complement the interior country style. To create such a design project you need to be very thoughtful and meticulous, so that the ensemble does not look old-fashioned. First of all, you should consider furniture and parquet made of light wood. It is also possible to wood painted in white or pastel colors. In general, such an interior should be very concise, so that a model with an oriental pattern would look good.
- Interior in minimalism style It can also look great with a Persian rug. In such an interior, you should use 2-3 colors and do not overload the furniture with details. Glossy surfaces, plain walls and a minimum of open shelves are important features of minimalism. Oriental carpet in such an interior will stand out and help diversify the situation.
It may seem that finding a place in the modern Persian carpet in the interior is difficult, but it is not. Do not limit yourself to the classic style, because in the course of design experiments you can get a unique and bright interior that will complement the luxurious oriental carpet.
In addition, even when the fashion for design solutions will change, the Iranian handmade carpet will always remain in the trend.
You will learn more about how to choose a Persian carpet in the following video.