Silk carpets are considered the most expensive and beautiful. They adequately decorate rich interiors and do not go out of fashion for many years.
Features and a bit of history
The right to be called the first producers of silk carpets is claimed by two countries at once - China and Turkey. In China, after the invention of silk, they began to produce exquisite light carpets, the production technology of which the Chinese kept in strict secret. It was possible to unravel it only 200 years BC. This was the beginning of the production of silk carpets in the East, where the first silk carpet was woven by Turkish craftsmen in the town of Hereke, near Istanbul.
Such a product was distinguished by a special style of weaving, using the technique of a double Turkish knot, which made it particularly durable and elastic.The threads for weaving were made in the town of Bursa and were distinguished by high quality and brightness of colors. Floral motifs were used as a pattern, which was very different from symmetrical geometric patterns of carpets from other places.
A little later, the masters of Iran, India, Syria and Pakistan started making silk carpets. Weaving products by hand, on special weaving machines, they require very hard work. In one hour, the masters tie up three hundred knots, the number of which per square meter reaches two million.
Silk carpets have a very rich history: the floors of imperial palaces and mosques were covered with them, the walls of rich houses were decorated. They also served as symbols of wealth and nobility of the family.
The largest producers of silk carpets today are traditionally the countries of the East - Turkmenistan, India and Pakistan.
The quality of silk carpets is time tested products have many positive reviews and have the following advantages:
- Silk carpets are woven exclusively by hand, from natural materials. This ensures their hypoallergenic and complete environmental safety.
- Flax and silk threads are used as raw materials; antimony, basma and turmeric are used for preliminary coloring. All dyes are natural pigments, therefore they are absolutely harmless to health.
- Due to the high density of weaving products are very durable. This allows them to be elastic and resilient for a long time, and the use of resistant natural paints helps to preserve the original look of products for a long time.
- Such materials do not tend to accumulate static electricity, they have a smooth silky surface, clear details of the pattern.
- Natural materials completely eliminate the risk of fungus, mold, dust mite and moths.
By cons Silk patterns include:
- Their high cost, low thermal insulation and complex care.
- In addition, due to the high popularity there is a risk of counterfeiting expensive products.
- Despite the fact that in the sunlight the surface of the canvas begins to play with bright colors, glitter and sparkle, silk carpets are afraid of excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation. This is due to the low resistance of the filaments to fading.
According to the material of manufacture, carpets are either completely silk or made on wool, linen or cotton. Silk models are lighter and of higher quality, for their production thickened yarns are used, which are obtained from the silkworm that fed on the leaves of the oak.
Silk carpets are produced by many countries in Asia and the Middle East. Due to some differences in weaving technique and image motifs, the products produced have individual features characteristic of a particular manufacturer.
Iranian carpet weavers use high quality raw materials and natural dyes for production. Distinctive features are a single node, images of animals and floral motifs. The colors of the drawings are bright and saturated, and the background is often performed in beige, turquoise and light brown tones.
Iranian silk carpets are woven in Qom and are very popular in the global market for carpet products.
Turkish products are distinguished by weaving technology, in which a double knot and symmetric binding are used. The canvas consists of a pile and warp threads, it is made in aspen, beige and brown tones.The ornament is characterized by smooth lines that turn into flowers, leaves, trees and symbolic signs, as well as the complete absence of geometry.
The center of production of elite silk carpets is the Herek, located near Istanbul and giving the name to the world-famous brand of the same name.
China is the main producer of handmade silk carpets. The products of Chinese masters are particularly popular due to the high quality and magnificence of the models produced. The raw material for production is exclusively natural silk. Both the pile and the base are made from it.
In terms of density, Chinese models are superior to Persian and Turkish products, due to which they have increased wear resistance and durability.
The drawing is characterized by the image of lush patterns, medallions and symbols that diverge from the center to the corners of the product and are bordered with a patterned border. Details of the picture are carefully designed and clearly visible.
Of the colors, preference is given to black, white, red, yellow and blue tones. For European consumers, carpets are available in a slightly different color range: there are no black ones,red and yellow tones, and there are only pastel shades.
The production of popular round carpets has been launched.
India is engaged in the production of both outdoor and wall options. Carpets for a floor are made on a woolen basis that allows to increase their heat preserving properties. Wall models are made on both silk and cotton basis.
Fully silk products are notable for their high price and high demand. They are purchased for expensive interiors and as collection models.
The canvases are decorated in red, green, blue and yellow colors, they differ in the images of animals and plants.
Natural silk silkworm carpets are not very resistant to abrasion - despite its high density.
Such products can not be placed in places with high traffic. It is better if the carpet is located in the bedroom, study or on the wall.
There is also a more durable material - these are products made of bamboo silk. They are durable enough and suitable for use in living rooms, dining rooms and other areas with high load. The number of nodes per square meter varies from 150 thousand to two million, which allows you to make products of different density.
Silk carpets are produced in a very large assortment and a wide color palette. This allows you to choose a product in a room decorated in both classic and modern style.
For the classics are characterized by images of leaves, trees, animals and flowers. The modern trend is characterized by the presence of geometric shapes, abstract images and monophonic execution. Production of round and oval carpets has been launched, which significantly expands the area of their application (relative to style directions). In modern interiors, artificial silk rugs will look great.
The use of this material makes the carpet stronger, more durable and significantly reduces the cost of the product.
How to choose?
Natural rugs made of silk threads are very similar to products made from viscose. In order not to be mistaken when choosing a product, it is necessary to consider the following points:
- Certificate guarantees the high quality of the product and determines the country of origin. The document indicates the composition, size and recommendations for the care of the product. Its absence should alert the buyer, since the original products are always supplied with accompanying documentation.
- Cost It should be borne in mind that carpets are made by hand, from natural raw materials, so their cost can not be low.
- Crushability This silk is well wrinkled, it is soft and elastic. Artificial products are produced on a glue base, which is easily determined when the web is bent. With some mechanical action, the silk fibers are slightly warmer. Therefore, before making a purchase, it is recommended to slightly rub the edge of the web, thus checking its quality.
- When burning from silk fibers the smell of burning hair comeswhile synthetics smell like burnt plastic. The cotton backbone will smell like burnt paper when burning.
It is possible to distinguish manual work from machine execution according to the following criteria:
- Handcrafted carpet fringe is an ongoing warp yarn. When the machine version is sewn around the perimeter of the canvas, which is visible upon visual inspection.
- For products made by hand, both sides have the same color intensity. In machine versions, the wrong side is much paler, the products bend worse and have a less dense pile.
- In the manufacture of a manual method on the canvas there are minor defects, which gives the product individuality and originality.
How to care?
Silk carpets require careful and constant care. It is strictly forbidden to clean the products yourself with the help of chemicals - this can lead to the destruction of the base structure and tarnishing of paints. Cleaning with a washing vacuum cleaner is also not recommended - the carpet does not tolerate high temperatures and high humidity. Regular shaking and processing with a soft brush or suede fabric is allowed. If spots appear, you can use a low concentration soda solution.
In case of accidental tipping onto the carpet of the liquid, it is necessary to collect moisture as quickly as possible using a dry cloth. Then use a brush and soda solution to clean the surface in the direction of the pile and allow the product to dry. Drying should be carried out away from heating appliances and direct sunlight.
The best way to clean a silk carpet is to clean it using the dry method.
Options in the interior
Silk carpets are true works of art. They give the room a glossy and pompousness, and also indicate the fine taste and wealth of the owners of the house.
Due to the large species diversity, silk products can be used not only in the oriental, classical, but also in the modern interior.
You will learn more about silk carpets in the following video.