Health care has become an integral part of modern life, and sound and healthy sleep is one of the main medicines of our time. Today, there are many products that promote a good and maximum healthy sleep. These include mattresses of coconut fibers with orthopedic effect.
Few consumers can fully understand what a coconut mattress is and how it “works.” In the meantime, this product has won deserved attention in the market and a large number of positive reviews. In the manufacture of mattresses, coconut fibers are used in the form of extruded mats that are not processed by chemicals.
It is worth noting that the whole process of creating products is environmentally friendly. This is another advantage of coconut mattresses over other materials - they are hypoallergenic.
After the coconut is harvested, it is soaked in salt water for several days.Then the workers without the use of special equipment, manually remove the fibers and give them to the next stage - drying. Dry raw materials naturally, avoiding sun exposure. This method preserves the elasticity of the raw material. After drying from the material weave ropes that are already sent to the factory. There, the workers unravel them and send them to the press to form mats, which will become part of orthopedic mattresses.
Due to their environmental friendliness, coconut mattresses are considered one of the most durable and elastic. But one of the main advantages of such products is high breathability and resistance to decay. As in any segment of the modern market there are fakes. Many unscrupulous manufacturers and sellers offer mattresses where natural raw materials, namely fibers, are held together by synthetic substances. The fact of such a replacement of raw materials makes products poor quality and they lose their original properties, mainly - orthopedic and hypoallergenic.
However, the wear resistance and durability of such products will be much higher than those made of natural fibers without chemical and synthetic impurities.
Advantages, benefits and harm
On the merits of coconut mattress can talk for a long time. This is environmental friendliness, and prevention of orthopedics, and resistance to deformities for a long time. That is why many parents choose mattresses with this filler for newborns.
Another major advantage of such a filler for a cot is that it does not absorb moisture and odors. There will not be a single stain on it, if suddenly the child spills liquid on it. To refresh the mattress, it will be enough just to wash the cover itself and you can use it again.
In addition, due to the longevity of the material, it can be used for many years, passing “inherited” to relatives or friends after the child grows up.
In addition to newborns and babies, the coconut mattress can be recommended by an orthopedic surgeon for people suffering from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, since during sleep on such a mattress body weight is distributed correctly and the back is resting. Despite the fact that the coconut coir is a natural material, it is completely hypoallergenic, in contrast to fillers made of down or wool.
It is on this property that manufacturers of mattresses with synthetic fillers “win”.
When choosing a mattress is very important to study the passport of the product and pay attention to the smell. If there is a smell of rubber, then, most likely, manufacturers have replaced the natural material with rubber.
The better felt and sisal?
Consider these two fillers independently of each other:
- Sisal. Extracted from the leaves of agave leaves and is a very durable material that does not conduct electricity. Another important feature of sisal is moisture and heat control. But, despite the positive qualities, the material is too hard and brittle, which indicates a low quality of the finished product.
- Felt, like sisal and coir, is a natural and environmentally friendly material. Its components are wool and cotton, which make the material durable and tough. Felt is combined with other materials and its layer between the top coating and spring blocks ensure the durability of the product and prevent the springs from pulling out.
Often there is a combination of felt and coir. This combination adjusts stiffness and provides a comfortable location.The downside of the felt filler is that in the production of mats, fibers are glued together with glue with a chemical composition, which leads to allergic reactions.
Varieties and technologies of filler production
Among the coconut mattresses can be distinguished two main groups of fillers - coir and coconut chips:
- Coir. This natural material began to be used in production not so long ago, but it has already caused a general stir. Coir is a coconut walnut fiber that has the appearance of thirty-centimeter beams of brown or brown color. Coira is one of those materials that are distinguished by high rates of rigidity and strength, but at the same time is an absolutely soft and comfortable raw material. Mattresses with such a filler do not bend and properly distribute the load of the body. Coir is divided into several types. It is on the selected raw materials and the quality of the finished product. The most durable and lasting option are considered models with the addition of latex. The only negative of this tandem is the smell. A less reliable option is pure pressed coir. These mattresses, though not odorless, have less strength and wear resistance.At high mechanical loads, the mattress deforms and ceases to be orthopedic.
Another component that is added to coconut raw materials is polyester fibers. They provide additional strength and do not have an unpleasant smell.
- Coconut ChipsLike coir, eco-friendly and natural material of natural origin. Due to the high content of lignin - a natural polymer, coconut filler is elastic and elastic, but it has a shorter service life. Of the advantages of this filler, experts distinguish between hypoallergenicity and the impossibility of the vital activity and development of bed fleas and ticks, therefore such bedding is recommended for people with allergies and people with respiratory diseases.
Types of mattress
Like other mattresses, coconut are divided into spring and springless:
- Springless models are multi-layered and single-layered. They include coir, latex and rubber-based glue. The springs are replaced by several layers of coconut slabs, between which lay the fiber. The number of layers depends on the rigidity of the product.
- Spring. The presence of springs ensures the softness of the product and the presence of the ejection effect. Spring models are divided into two types: dependent and independent from each other blocks of springs. The second type is considered to be the most effective and useful, since the spring blocks allow the mattress to repeat the body's natural curves and support it.
Typically, spring mattresses have a thickness of from one to three centimeters, stiffness and orthopedic properties depend on this indicator. The stores feature models for both adults and children's mattresses in the stroller, crib or cot.
For children, experts recommend purchasing double-sided products with a springless base.
In addition to adding latex to coir and a combination of these materials on both sides, there is a combined type of product with layers of holofiber, bamboo, buckwheat. These natural materials enhance orthopedic properties and add a massage effect.
How to choose?
During the trip to the store behind the bedding, many questions arise, especially if the product is quite specific. We offer a few simple rules to make the purchase useful:
- First of all, when choosing, pay attention to the composition of the product. The basis should include coir and natural latex. For newborns and children of preschool age there are double-sided mattresses. The surface of the coir is designed for children up to a year, so that the spine is formed correctly, the other - latex side for older children. Natural latex also has tough properties, but it is more resilient.
- The second point when choosing - this case. In its composition, too, should be only natural materials. These include jacquard, cotton - they are universal for this type of product. For a comfortable sleep, the skin must breathe, the synthetic materials of the cover violate this process. The cover must be removable.
- Mattresses with membrane coating are also available. Such a product is absolutely breathable, but at the same time does not pass moisture. This option would be appropriate for children's models, so as not to enclose oilcloth for the night.
- Another important aspect is the price. It depends on the materials, brand and country of origin. When choosing products with low cost, pay attention to the passport and the composition indicated in it.Poor quality and often cheap models are filled not with coconut coir, but with chips. Such fillers will last a very short time and quickly deform. The average price of a product in standard sizes starts from 3,500 rubles and can finish up to 20,000 rubles. Another 2 price criteria are thickness and rigidity. Thin models of orthopedic mattresses are an order of magnitude cheaper, absolutely, like models with the same degree of rigidity. But if the product has two sides (latex and coir), then the price will be higher.
As in any segment of the modern market there are luxury categories. These include models with a base of independent spring units.
- Rigidity. This criterion is determined depending on the weight of the person. The larger the weight category, the greater the degree of rigidity must be present. However, this is not always the case. A person with excess or too much weight, leading a sedentary lifestyle, will not feel comfortable on a too hard mattress.
- The size. Products come in standard sizes (single, double) and sewn to individual sizes. The first are the dimensions - 120x60 cm, 160x200 cm, 160x80 cm.But 70x160 cm and 90x200 cm are non-standard sizes and are made to order. Basically, such services are at the official manufacturers and major brands.
- Brand Of course, it fully affects the price of the goods, but this does not mean that only expensive, advertised manufacturers have good products.
Before you go to the store, you need to carefully study the reviews of customers on the Internet, perhaps among them you will find a good manufacturer providing goods at low prices due to the lack of advertising. But do not forget about the large number of poor-quality fakes under the names of well-known companies. Therefore, choose proven stores of the most popular manufacturers, where experienced sales consultants will be able to choose exactly what you need.
And if the product does not meet the stated requirements, you can easily replace it.
Which side to put?
Despite the fact that coconut mattresses are very strong raw materials and frame, it can still be deformed where the load is greatest. Therefore, one of the main recommendations is that it is necessary to turn the mattress at least once every two months.
If the mattress has the same degree of rigidity on the one and the other side, there is no fundamental difference which side to put it on.
If the product is bilateral, which often happens on children's models, then in the first year of life it is better to put the mattress with the hard side up. At the age from one year to adolescence, the mattress can be flipped over with a latex side. It has an average degree of rigidity. But adolescents are better to choose hard bedding again to prevent the development of scoliosis.
How to care?
To prolong the operation of the coconut mattress, it is enough to follow the instructions indicated on the labels or passport of the product. But there are a few general rules for care:
- Despite the fact that most manufacturers claim that coconut mattresses are resistant to deformation, the mattress is designed exclusively for sleeping, so do not allow your children to use it as a trampoline.
- Thin models are best not to twist and fold in half.
- Proper storage is a vertical position and the presence of a cover.
- Improper transport can also damage the product, so try to transport and transport it only in direct,inflexible state.
- The most comfortable temperature for operation is 18-20 degrees Celsius. And the humidity should not exceed 85%.
- The size of the bed and the mattress should match each other. In addition, it is better to choose a framework from materials that enhance the orthopedic effect and prevent deformation.
- Ventilate the mattress as needed and change the side on which you sleep.
- Use professional dry cleaners every few years. For the rest of the time, do self-treatment with a vacuum cleaner or with special household chemicals.
See the following video for tips on caring for such a mattress.
Before buying an orthopedic mattress from coconut raw materials, it is better to get acquainted with reviews on the Internet. Most of them will be positive.
Buyers first of all appreciate the high quality, durability and functionality of such a mattress. Many choose it for children from the first days of life in order for the child to correctly form the spine and posture. Buyers from an adult audience choose a coconut mattress in order to make their sleep more sound and to allow their backs to relax after a hard day’s work,as well as avoid scoliosis or correct existing problems.
As for the negative reviews, they are less than positive, but they are still there. Mostly negative reviews are related to the fact that buyers want to save money and choose unverified or unscrupulous suppliers and stores. In this case, consumers note the rapid deformation of products, smell, poor quality of the material, which leads to poor sleep and negative impressions about the product as a whole.