Mattress cover and mattress cover
One of the factors affecting the duration of operation of the mattress is the presence or absence of a mattress pad. Thanks to a high-quality mattress pad, an expensive foundation will not only last longer, but also maintain the appearance longer. Orienting in a huge range of bedding accessories is quite difficult. What criteria to take into account when choosing them, so as not to be disappointed in the purchase, in which cases it is advisable to purchase a thin model, and when there is a high topper and if there is an ideal “clothes” for the mattress at all - let's understand.
Why do we need?
A good consultant will definitely offer the buyer in addition to a mattress to buy a good mattress topper. And it's not just in the desire to increase sales. Accessories for the mattress - covers, mattress covers and mattress covers are practical and extremely useful things that are designed to solve several problems at once:
- Protection of the basis against a various sort of pollution.
- Creating a barrier against dust and moisture.
- Providing perfect hygiene sleeping surface.
- Correction of parameters of the mattress stiffness and adjustment of the bed temperature due to the “breathing” properties.
- Improve sleep quality.
What are the covers?
Covers provide comprehensive protection of the mattress, protecting not only its top and sides, but also the lower part. They can be removable and non-removable. The structural elements of the fixed version of the product include a welt, an aerator, a viewing zipper and a handle. Its main drawback is regular dry cleaning costs.
In this regard, removable covers are much more convenient, the exception applies to products from Jacquard. Since the washing of this material is highly undesirable, then sooner or later you have to use the services of dry cleaning. Any other fabric is washable without problems. Another disadvantage of removable covers - they go astray.
In addition, when you have to remove the cover, then for one person this task is difficult to implement.
“Autonomous” cover with a zipper is a complete “clothes” for the mattress, being, in fact, an integral part of it. Under the cover you can see the multi-layered filling of the mattress or a thin protective layer that hides the inner layers. These products are trouble-free to maintain, calmly tolerate dry or wet sanitization.
The presence of lightning, which in most cases equip the sidewalls of products, sewn around the perimeter from three sides, greatly facilitates the process of removing the cover.
Such products perform not only protective functions, but also act as a decorative element, complementing the interior of the bedroom. In this case, it is important to choose a color that is consonant with the background finish and texture, similar to the upholstery of furniture and other textiles.
Criteria for choosing such a cover:
- Natural fabric.
- Increased strength characteristics.
- Reliable lightning.
- High hygroscopic properties.
Now there is an increase in consumer demand for products with orthopedic functions - this is furniture with a base that adjusts stiffness and mattresses with healing properties. To enhance the orthopedic effect, bedding made from natural latex is used.No less demanding waterproof and anti-allergic covers, the production of which was made possible through the use of innovative materials, which will be discussed later.
The quality of the cover directly affects the ability to prevent mechanical damage and prevent contamination of the mattress, extending the shelf life of the product.
There are two categories of products of this type - thick mattress covers, called toppers and thin ones. In addition to the ability to protect the base, toppers can reduce and increase its stiffness:
- Orthopedic mattress covers. The wrong choice of mattress, in particular, the parameters of stiffness is a reason to look at this group of products, especially if the deadline for the return of the unsuitable product has already been missed. Such a model is often acquired for medical reasons in order to alleviate the condition of the patient. In such situations, softness is fundamentally important, or vice versa - bed stiffness. If you want to increase the orthopedic effect, a hard case is used, where coconut coir is part of the fabric.In another case, the mattress cover is taken soft: to soften the stiffness of the sleeping surface, manufacturers use various fillings with orthopedic properties that are more or less pronounced.
- Woolen mattress covers. In some cases, buyers of this type of toppers want to simply improve their well-being, while in others, the need to acquire them is caused by unpleasant diagnoses: sciatica, osteochondrosis, arthralgia, arthritis and other joint diseases of various localization. The help of wool mattress covers is expressed in the stabilization of the circulatory system, the normalization of the central nervous system, the removal of muscle tension.
It is the content in the wool fibers of sheep fat - lanolin provides a similar therapeutic effect.
- Seasonal toppers. The meaning of buying a seasonal mattress pad is reduced to the possibility of such a model to create maximum comfort for the sleeper, depending on the time of year. Using a summer topper, which is usually made from silk or linen, will provide a pleasant tactile touch, since the sleeping place will be moderately cool. In addition, these fabrics have the ability to divert moisture from the body in the form of sweat.With a winter cover (wool + filler) you will always be warm. Do not forget about the health effect that wool fibers provide.
Assortment of thin mattress covers
Any product from this group has protective functions, and which ones it depends on which subspecies of thin mattress covers you plan to deal with:
- Classic models. At their production both natural fabrics, and synthetics are used. Externally, the classic mattress is a thick pad, which is fixed on the mattress with different types of fasteners. The product protects the base from dirt, limits the access of dust, prevents the formation of worn places, thereby prolonging the life of the base.
- Waterproof products. The main function is moisture protection. The material contains special membranes that prevent water penetration. And this feature of the fabric does not affect the level of comfort during sleep. Another advantage of the waterproof product is good "breathing" properties, and therefore, the product is in high demand among fathers and mothers who have recently become parents.A waterproof case ensures normal air circulation, unlike conventional oilcloths, which create a harmful greenhouse effect, as a result of which the delicate skin of newborns is often covered with diaper rash. Waterproof mattress topper - a real salvation for those who care for the elderly or bed patients. Finally, it just makes life easier - you no longer have to worry about the safety of an expensive mattress because of a glass of juice or a cup of coffee accidentally spilled in the morning.
Mattress pads “slips” completely solve the problem with children's night surprises, thanks to modern textile technology.
- Antiallergic models. Here we are talking about the protective functions of another kind. Antibacterial properties of special impregnations in the composition of the fabric help to fight with house dust mites, limiting access to the base, the inner layers of which are a favorite place for parasites that form whole colonies there. An antibacterial mattress pad creates a protective barrier, thanks to which fungus and mold, the main sources of strong allergens provoking the development of asthma and exacerbation of respiratory diseases symptoms, will no longer disturb you.
Mattress covers are single-layered - like most classic models and multi-layered. The double-layer waterproof analogs, for the manufacture of the top layer is cotton, and the bottom - membrane fabric. Most models are three-layered when the outer layer is made of such natural materials as cotton, silk, bamboo, jacquard.
Bamboo products are now at the peak of popularity, as they have a lot of positive properties: from ease of care to hypoallergenic.
Quilted mattress covers made using ultrastep technology (heat shim), which improves the appearance of the material and prevents the upper layer from twisting, are characterized by a long service life. An advantageous solution that will be appreciated by owners of non-standard furniture is mattress covers for a round bed or a sleeper with a rounded shape.
Toppers are versatile products that can, if necessary, act as a complete replacement of the bed or perform the function of an orthopedic foundation. Despite the small thickness, this attribute fully supports the body of the sleeper, providing maximum comfort.Depending on the task - to soften or increase the rigidity of the surface, manufacturers use different fillers.
Softening mattress covers are made from the following materials:
- Latex (natural) - moderate stiffness, pronounced orthopedic effect, water resistance, optimal heat transfer properties, resistance to deformation. It is the best filler from existing, products from it the most comfortable and reliable.
- Memorix with the ability to memorize the shape of the body. The thickness of such toppers is 4 cm, which does not affect the cost: they are quite expensive. But the costs are more than offset the level of comfort.
- Hollofiber / struttofiber. Structure: polyester fiber + flax + wool + cotton. Due to a balanced combination of synthetics and natural raw materials, mattress covers are functional to the maximum. This is a clear demonstration of the possibilities of budget toppers to soften a hard mattress and level the surface.
- Polyurethane foam (PPU) - modern analogue of foam rubber. Such a filling ensures maximum softness of the topper, but it is not necessary to count on continuous operation.Basically, polyurethane foam mattress covers are acquired because of low cost, since practicality does not exactly belong to their merits.
For the manufacture of elastic, rigid toppers go:
- Coconut coir - hard latex filler to adjust the hardness of the bed. The material is characterized by excellent breathability and hygroscopicity.
- Bikokos / Struttofiber (holofiber) - these materials are used less frequently.
As for the mattress pad from the coir, the correction ability depends on the thickness of the product. A small correction is needed - choose a topper with a parameter from 2 to 3 centimeters, if significant, then 6 centimeters.
Types of fastening
You already know about the corner elastics with the help of which the mattress covers are attached to the mattress. This type of attachment is convenient in that it allows you to instantly remove the product to wash. Minus gum - deformation - an inevitable phenomenon with long-term operation, as a result of which the mattress cover ceases to hold onto the mattress, sliding down and falling off. Plus - affordable price.
Mattress covers, where the sides are equipped with an elastic flight, are much more practical, although in order to remove the product, you will have to put a little more effort than in the previous case.
To avoid possible disappointments helps knowledge of the exact parameters of the bed. In addition to the length / width of the bed, it is necessary to measure the thickness of the mattress used, the latter is often overlooked. The result - dissatisfaction with the purchase.
As for the size of mattress covers, everything is quite simple here:
- Products for the smallest - from 120x60 cm to 190x60 cm.
- Compact sofas, children's, teenage beds - from 70x120 cm to 70x220 cm.
- Single beds (for children / adult models) - from 80x140 cm to 90x200 cm. European standard - 145x200 cm.
- One and a half - from 100x180 cm to 130x220 cm.
- Double (standard / non-standard size) - from 140x180 cm to 170x220 cm, 160x200 cm is suitable for medium beds.
- Double (King Size standard) - from 180x180 cm to 200x220 cm.
If the priority is to acquire a topper with the ability to improve orthopedic properties, then it is very important not to be mistaken with the thickness. The thickest products withstand considerable body weight. Thickness of 5 cm is designed for weight up to 85 kg. Thin mattress covers are 2-10 cm thick.
Bed accessories are made of the following types of natural and artificial materials:
- Bamboo fiberwhose value lies in its high antibacterial characteristics.Plus it is hypoallergenic and undemanding to maintain.
- Silks - lightness and softness of the fabric provides maximum comfort with tactile contact. In the heat on a silk mattress pad it is a pleasure to sleep.
- Wool (camel, sheep) or felt with healing and breathing properties. Do not forget that this material is the main contender for the role of allergy provocateur.
- Jacquard - demanded type of fabric, despite its high cost. It is considered an environmentally friendly material and is definitely not an allergy provocateur.
- Cotton - excellent hygroscopicity in combination with the ability to cool and refresh the sleeping surface.
- Policotton - wear resistance, practicality, hypoallergenicity - a combination that suits many customers.
What is better to choose for a bed?
The choice of mattress covers in many respects determines their purpose: for babies - waterproof, for allergies - hypoallergenic, when the goal is recovery, then wool, you need to adjust the rigidity - orthopedic toppers. Be determined immediately with the presence / absence of the need for additional impregnation - antistatic, with a function of relax, which increase the cost of products.
To correct the parameters of the sleeping surface, do not waste time studying the range of thin mattress covers; the only assistant in this matter is a topper with orthopedic functions.
See the following video for tips on how to choose a mattress pad.
What you need to know before buying?
The main criteria for the selection of the desired model:
- The dimensions and the ratio of the dimensions of the mattress with the size of the mattress pad. If the product has sidewalls, find out, in addition to the width / length, the height of the mattress.
- Type of item.
- Type of filler, if you plan to buy topper.
- Individual features of the body, when a therapeutic wool product is purchased to minimize the risk of developing allergies.
It is needless to remind that in a quality product the lines are smooth, the seams are strong, the fastenings are reliable, the outer covering looks attractive. Hooks and sticking threads are not allowed.
Analysis of the reviews suggests that the vast majority of users have already managed to appreciate the benefits of these accessories:
- Necessary and useful features: protective, corrective and especially antibacterial.
- The ability of toppers to "correct" defects of the sleeping surface - joints, height differences.
- Convenience fixings, especially rubber.
- Ease of care.
- Possibility to choose a mattress topper for any bed.
The main difficulty lies not in the choice of mattress topper, but in how not to be mistaken in quality. Especially when it comes to children's products. Offers in this segment of the market have long exceeded demand, and many manufacturers offer mattress covers at low prices. But the opinion of moms about this is invariable: it is better to spend money on a pair of expensive high-quality mattress covers than to fight with prickly heat, diaper rash or even an allergy in a child. Health is more expensive.