Features and ideas for separating the kitchen and living room
In modern apartment buildings, it is very often possible to find such a layout of apartments, in which the kitchen is combined with the living room in one room.
Most often these are the so-called one-room studio apartments, however, in a two-room or multi-room apartment, you can also sometimes find such a combination.
Advantages and disadvantages
Any layout has its pros and cons, it all depends on what specific functions are assigned to it. Someone uncomfortable in a small and dark room, and someone prefers that each family member has his own, even a tiny corner. The combination of kitchen and living room has certain advantages over the classic interior.
- The space of both the living room and the kitchen becomes larger and lighter.In such a large room is easier to put a large family or invited guests. In such a room you can set up a large table and more seating.
- The hostess or the owner, engaged in cooking, can continue to communicate with guests or relatives, listen to music or watch a program that is on TV in the hall. This saves the extra money that would have been spent on installing a second kitchen TV.
- In a separate kitchen it is much more difficult to organize a dining area in which the whole family and incoming guests would feel free and comfortable. Moreover, if you organize such a zone in a separate living room, then there will be practically no place for rest.
Most often, these advantages outweigh the possible disadvantages that arise when connecting the kitchen and living room.
- Nothing detains the smells of food penetrating from the cooking area into the recreation area. If milk escaped on the stove or the meat burned, almost the whole apartment will smell this smell for a long time. In addition, it will be absorbed into the upholstery of upholstered furniture and the canvas of curtains hanging on the windows of the living area.
- In the hall you will hear the clatter of dishes and the noise of household appliances, which can bring tangible discomfort to residents. If, apart from the combined living room, there are separate sleeping places in the apartment, then this minus will hardly be felt, and if there is only one room, then it will play an important role.
Of course, the significance of these shortcomings for each person may be different. Someone more important is a big space and a little noise is less important, and someone will not be able to safely be in a room that smells like cooking food.
In this case, each buyer and landlord must make a choice based on his idea of the ideal apartment.
In which rooms is the combination justified?
Even if you remove the wall that separates the kitchen from another room, you really want to, it is not necessary to do this in the newly acquired apartment. There are several types of rooms in which such a layout will look appropriate and at the same time be functional.
- In large apartments, in which, besides the living room itself, there are several bedrooms for all households. If you combine the kitchen with the hall in a normal two-room apartment in which a family of two adults and one or several children live, then either parents or children will not get their own room.The inability to retire for many people is fraught with strong discomfort and even stress.
- Studio studios. In such apartments, the separation of the kitchen in a separate room is almost impossible due to the very modest size of the whole room.
- Apartment with a large kitchen and a small living room. Most often, this layout can be observed in old houses, regardless of the number of rooms. Modern kitchen is equipped with many useful and at the same time compact equipment, so it does not require as much space as before. At the same time, the average family increasingly consists of 2-3 people who do not need such a large room for meals, but they would like to expand the recreation area. In this case, the redevelopment of the apartment is justified and often simply necessary.
It is sensible to assess the volume of rooms and the internal layout of your own apartment before you begin to prepare for the repair. If possible, visit friends or relatives who have already organized such a combination in their home or apartment and appreciate the convenience of the design. You can read online reviews of satisfied and not-so-good hosts to decide on the final decision.
The main thing is to remember that despite the various recommendations of designers and ordinary users of the network, it is worth doing only as it is convenient for the residents themselves.
Even if the wall between the kitchen and the living room was dismantled, and the two rooms are now joined into one, it is best to limit the cooking area from the rest of the room. This will give the interior a more modern and complete look, and in addition, the restriction may be in the form of various shelves or furniture items that are not only beautiful, but also bear certain functions.
One of the classic methods for separating the kitchen and living room is the bar counter. It can be mounted as an independent piece of furniture, or it can be a continuation of the wall. It is necessary to plan a rack made from the part of the wall that previously divided the rooms at the planning stage of the repair.
Such a stand can replace with itself even the largest dining table, and besides, it will serve as a work surface for a small kitchen.
Different floor levels
Zoning of various zones in a room can be done by raising individual parts of the floor to a height of 15-20 cm or even higher.Thus, a seating or cooking area can be located on a small podium when the rest of the room has a normal floor level.
From the parts of the wall, you can mount a massive arch, separating the kitchen from the dining room or living room. In addition, such an arch can be placed closer or farther than the wall that was demolished in order to reduce or increase the cooking zone, respectively.
Most often, these arches are made of plasterboard, but you can mount it from brick, wood or other building materials.
Partitions or curtains
Instead of a real wall, you can make a thin partition that covers part of the kitchen area. It can be made of wood, glass and even thick paper. Such paper partitions in the Japanese style look especially good when the rest of the interior also has an oriental bias. You can hang a small curtain of thick fabric or long beads that will separate the living room from the dining room. In a large room will look beautiful such a canvas, woven from LED threads. At any moment the usual partition turns into a real festive garland.
In order to zone a room, it is not always necessary to completely rebuild a room or erect various partitions. Sometimes it is enough just to decorate the walls or the floor to separate the sleeping area from the kitchen. In addition, color separation can help with this task.
So, for the kitchen, you can choose a warmer and bright colors, and arrange the living room in a more calm and cold tones.
Whichever option the landlord chooses, the main thing is the quality of the repairs and the convenience of all tenants. The house should remain the place where you want to return.
The project of the kitchen-studio is in the next video.