Caps on poles for brick fence
In order for the fence to be strong and reliable, supporting posts are necessary. If such pillars are made of brick, they are not only beautiful, but also durable. But it is they who most need protection. Special protective structures, otherwise called caps, will protect the fence from the manifestations of the environment. They can be mounted and installed by yourself.
Having decided to purchase caps on brick pillars, you need to understand what is required of them, and what they are for:
- Protection function They protect the fence from freezing of ice destroying masonry joints, as well as from other precipitations - rain, hail, snow. They also prevent the rotting of wooden poles.
- The function of aesthetics. With caps the fence looks much more beautiful.
- Serve as a basis for installing light sources. With a lamp, the fence becomes much more functional, and, again, aesthetic.
- If the plugs have the shape of a peak or another pointed form, they also perform the function of protection - climbing is difficult through the fence.
The surface of the cap is angular, in the shape of a slope, thanks to which the water falling on it easily flows. And if the size of the nozzle is larger along the perimeter than the pole, then each of the side surfaces of the pole will be protected from the effects of precipitation.
It should be noted that it is much easier and faster to mount overlays on the fence than to overhaul the entire structure. After all, the durability of the support depends on the stability of the support. In addition, the price variation depends on the material from which the caps are made, for example, plastic will not cost so much, preserving the integrity of the fence.
Brick fence can be decorated with hats made of different materials. The range on the market is extremely diverse both in price and in appearance.Each site owner will be able to find something to his taste and wallet.
According to the material from which the caps are made, it can be divided into:
- metal (stainless or galvanized steel, copper, brass, tin);
- a rock;
- polymer sand;
- clinker is a durable fireproof and waterproof brick.
Immediately it should be noted that the wooden lining are only decorative value. Pottery is very beautiful, but extremely fragile during transportation, during installation and in operation. Plastic is cheap, but according to external data it loses to its more expensive counterparts.
Clinker caps are frost-resistant for 75-100 cycles, durable and wear-resistant, retaining their external qualities in their original form for a long time. In addition, the clinker hat is characterized by low water absorption. Caps made of concrete are very original, durable, strong and easy to install, but fragile and quickly lose their attractive appearance.
Forged plugs look spectacular, but, like all metal, are susceptible to corrosion, from which even painting does not save.In addition, the metal burns out in the sun, it can be visible seams and irregularities, as well as for some people it may become a problem that raindrops or hail, striking such stubs, make strong sounds.
Also covers from a metalprofile belong to this category. Their main advantage is the price. The advantage is that they can be done independently with certain skills and the appropriate tool.
Polymeric and sand caps are resistant to frost and direct sunlight, durable and moisture resistant. They retain an attractive appearance for a long time and can be applied in different climates.
Pillars of supports for the fences are made of different materials. The design of the fence may be poles of different configurations - thick or thin, hollow or solid, with a round or square cross-section, but the upper part of the column should always be horizontal.
Currently on the market a wide range of caps, which can be classified according to the following features:
- on the material from which they are made;
- according to the form they have;
- according to the place where they are applied (on supporting pillars or on spans).
In accordance with the financial situation and your own taste, you can choose and purchase caps that will work best, or you can make them yourself.
Whatever form lining they have, they all have in common in their device:
- The “skirt” at the bottom is needed in order to fasten securely on the pole. She covers the top of the pillar all the way around. If the pillar inside is empty, there must be holes between the ceiling and the skirt.
- Uniform overhangs located around the perimeter of the product help drainage and prevent erosion of the material from which the fence is made.
- Service life and resistance to external factors are the main characteristics of industrially manufactured caps.
- Mounting lining should not be evident.
The shape of caps are divided into:
- round (spherical);
- in the shape of a pyramid;
- resembling a Chinese roof;
- with built-in light source - lantern.
The cap shape can be double-slope (pyramid) or four-slope (cone-shaped). There are also figured forms, for example, a rose of winds, petals.
Ideally, the fence and ogolovki should be combined with the design of the house, other buildings on the site, to form with them a single ensemble. Coats for poles can be custom-made by casting or forging, as well as using different materials and their combinations. Stone caps are not only gray or black stone, it can be both marble, and malachite, and red granite. Such caps will look good on the fence around the mansion in a simple style.
If the entrance to the site lies through a wrought iron gate, metal heads, where the curls on which will be in harmony with the pattern on the gate or wicket, will fit here.
The pattern under the tile is suitable for those houses whose roofs are tiled. Such a pattern is made, for example, on polymer-sand caps.
It is interesting to look at the pillars, which are at the same time the bases for lanterns. Covers thus serve as a support for the lamp. Placed at the same distance from each other, the lights not only ennoble the fence, but also emit light around the perimeter of the territory.
Subtleties of manufacture
Any product that is used to protect the fence posts,must meet the following requirements:
- The material from which it is made must be resistant to any environmental influences.
- Be strong and durable.
- The slope on the surface of the cap should be designed in such a way as to ensure uniform water flow. Overhangs should extend beyond the pillar.
- The fastening of the "skirt" to the pole should be durable and inconspicuous.
- If the pillar inside is empty, then it is necessary to provide ventilation inside its cavity.
Depending on the material used, the size of the top can also vary, as well as its functionality. For example, almost any forms and sizes of caps can be made of fiberglass. They are easily mounted lights, and they themselves are also easily installed on the columns of the fence.
Metal caps can be various in shape, they are practical and durable, to increase their service life they are coated with a special compound. From metal it is also possible to make forged tips by special order with the desired elements of decor. However, they can only be mounted on poles whose size is not less than 80 x 80 mm.
Galvanized plugs made by stamping are the most affordable. It is also possible to make a so-called stepped cap from galvanization, which has an additional base and a protruding drainage part.
Wooden hubcaps are the most impractical of all, since, firstly, they are of considerable value (especially decorated with carvings), and their manufacture is impossible according to a pattern, each element is made separately, and secondly, they do not protect the pole from environmental influences, performing only a decorative function.
Fastening the cap on the pole can be done in different ways, it depends on its design. You can use cement mortar, glue, as well as screws, which are screwed into the part of the fence.
It is necessary to follow several rules:
- Metal covers (galvanized, tin, metal profiles) are attached with dowels. At the upper level of the support, bricks are drilled by 3-5 cm, similar holes are made in the cap skirt. Next, the cap is put on the pole and fastened with dowels.
- If the cap is installed on the adhesive base (ceramic, concrete types of heads), it is imperative that its edges extend beyond the contours of the post. Otherwise, the composition will be washed out during the rain.
- Whatever technology is used, the side seams must be tight.
The adhesive mixture can, for example, consist of sand and cement, it can be made by yourself.
The following sequence of actions is used for mounting caps on the glue mix:
- Dust is removed from the top of the column and primer is applied.
- The glue mix or cement is applied on the cleared part, it is leveled.
- Horizontally mounted cap. The correctness of the installation is controlled by level.
- Rubbed the seams between the tip and the support.
- If the structure does not provide overhangs, the seams are additionally treated with a water-repellent solution.
- Before the glue mixture fully hardens, caps must remain completely immobile. After that, you can install decorative parts - balls, tips.
- If the installation of fixtures is foreseen, it is necessary to prepare holes for the wires. To do this, better suited metal caps.
Regardless of what material is used to make the cap, it is important that it can completely close the top of the column, thereby securing it.
To avoid mistakes when choosing caps, you need to use simple rules.
- Inspection of the product on each side. Evaluation of its proportions and symmetry.
- Checking with the help of special devices the conformity of the angle of inclination of the tip to that indicated by the manufacturer.
- The overhang of the eaves must be tightly closed.
- The quality of the packaging must be such as to avoid damage during transport
- Before purchasing, make sure that the purchased products are suitable for the fence, as well as for the rest of the buildings on the site.
If all these items are met, then the probability is high that the choice is made correctly, and caps are ideal for purchase.
A variety of design and shape of caps for the fence can be seen in a small photo gallery.
What is just not here:
- these are different types of caps on the fence posts;
- galvanized caps;
- clinker hat for the fence;
- and even a wooden cap decorated with a ball.
How to make a cap on the fence post with your own hands, shown in the video below.