Gel anti-decubitus mattress
People who are bedridden as a result of various diseases, injuries or for other reasons have a very high risk of irreversible processes of tissue death - pressure sores. One of the most effective means of dealing with this problem is an anti-decubitus mattress, filled with gel and designed specifically for patients with strict bed rest.
Anti-decubitus products with gel filler belong to the static type of mattresses, that is, their surface is fixed, and the effect is achieved due to the special cellular structure and proper uniform distribution of the load. This mattress completely repeats the contours of the patient's body, has a high orthopedic, prophylactic and therapeutic effect.
Gel mattresses consist of:
- enclosures made of synthetic materials (latex, silicone, etc.d)
- gel filler, which fills the internal cavities of the cells.
Unlike most products with a similar effect, it does not require a compressor unit to inflate air and adjust pressure.
Advantages and disadvantages
Anti-decubitus gel products are quite in demand, as they have a lot of "pluses", among which are particularly distinguished:
- Versatility - they are suitable for the prevention of the occurrence of pressure sores for almost everyone: both elderly people and postoperative supine patients.
- Efficiency. Due to their structure, they support the body in the most comfortable position, without squeezing the soft tissues and not interfering with normal blood circulation.
- Simplicity and durability. The absence of mechanical devices makes its operation as simple as possible. At the same time, the simplicity of the design eliminates the rapid breakdowns and bringing the mattress into disrepair.
- Convenience. Properly distributed pressure allows you to lie on such products for a long time and comfortably. At the same time, neither the back, nor the neck, nor the extremities will experience absolutely any discomfort.
Scope of application
Experts recommend using anti-decubitus gel mattress for people with:
- almost any kind of injury and damage to the musculoskeletal system (up to severe fractures);
- diseases associated with disorders of the central nervous system (for example, paralysis);
- real estate as a result of a stroke;
- burn injuries of almost any degree;
- senile weakness.
At the same time, it is possible to use products with gel filler both for prophylaxis and for the treatment of bedsores of 1-2 categories.
Instructions for use
Using a gel mattress from bedsores is a snap. And to extend its life, the main thing is to remember and follow a few rules:
- Anti-decubitus mattress can not be put on the bed with metal springs and sharp protruding parts. As a rule, it is placed on the bed on top of a regular mattress.
- The weight of the patient should not exceed the maximum permissible specified in the instructions. For gel mattresses, this figure is most often 120-150 kg.
- The mattress should lie flat, not forming bumps, which can reduce the effectiveness of the product.
- The mattress is cleaned with a dry or slightly damp cloth (sponge). The use of alcohol or detergent abrasives is not allowed.
To store the mattress after it is no longer necessary in a dry place where direct sunlight does not fall, at a temperature of +5 to + 20C.
Products with gel filler - recent invention. But despite this, their model range is quite diverse. In this case, the most popular are:
- Model 563 It consists of three independent sections. The frame is made of synthetic latex, which facilitates the operation and cleaning. Suitable for people with fractures and other disorders of the musculoskeletal system, the elderly, who because of their age cannot move to other categories of patients.
The weight of the model is 45 kg, while it can withstand a weight load of up to 120 kg. The model is equipped with a special cover that allows you to protect the mattress from contamination and to facilitate its cleaning.
- Model TK-1/1. The top is made of high quality polyurethane foam, which guarantees maximum support for the patient's body.At the same time, the gel contained in the cells is able to maintain the temperature 1-1.5 ° C lower than the temperature of the human body. This allows the mattress to have a cooling and micro-massage effect.
The gel can change its position in several directions, which, in combination with the elasticity of the foam, allows you to evenly distribute all the loads, avoiding excessive squeezing of the mattress. Besides, on the model made small trapezoid pores. They provide a constant passage of air masses, allowing the mattress and body to "breathe", and reduce the force of the response pressure. It is completed with a removable mattress cover with a non-slip surface with vapor and moisture-proof properties. The model is presented in several sizes.
- Model MPP-VP-G2-05 - "breathable" product made of polyurethane foam with a gel layer. It helps to optimally distribute the load in the most critical places. Depending on the weight of the reclining, changes shape, creating the greatest comfort. It is equipped with a removable mattress cover made of polyester with a polyurethane coating, which is not afraid of moisture.
These and other models of gel mattresses are indispensable assistants of the patients themselves and their relatives, most of whom do not have medical education and the skills of curing bedsores.
How to choose an anti-decubitus mattress, see the following video.
Gel anti-decubitus mattresses have earned high praise not only among professionals, but also among consumers, as evidenced by the positive reviews about this type of product. Those who have already managed to use and evaluate mattresses with a filler in the form of a gel mark their convenience and high efficiency not only for prophylaxis, but also for the treatment of already existing bedsores.
Also, many buyers note the complete noiselessness of the design, which favorably affects the patient's nervous system - not everyone likes to hear the monochrome sound of the compressor operation around the clock. Such qualities of gel products as durability, durability and reasonable price were highly appreciated by buyers.