Many people wonder what the feature of the anti-decubitus mattress is, how it differs from all others. However, when choosing, you need to think about what kind of sample you need: children, orthopedic, or another.
What it is?
Care for bed patients - it is not easy. Many patients are overweight, which makes caring for them even more difficult, because it is impossible to turn a person alone. As a rule, people bedridden very soon begin to suffer from a new ailment - bedsores.
The bedsores are formed as a result of tissue necrosis. Such wounds on the body deliver unbearable pain to an already suffering person. It so happened that it is easier to resort to the prevention of pressure sores than to treat them, especially since it is often possible only with surgical intervention. Here the anti-decubitus mattress comes to the rescue.
Anti-decubitus complexes are by far the best preventive tool that allows in the long run to avoid the formation of bedsores in general.
They are also suitable for improving the condition of people who already suffer from such an unpleasant illness. Anti-decubitus systems provide a massage effect that stimulates blood circulation not only in the skin, but also in deep tissues.
Different types of systems can be selected for different patients: fully bedridden, with preservation of partial mobility, with spinal cord injuries and bone marrow. Anti-decubitus models are made not only for beds, but also for sofas and even chairs.
Before you select the system of interest, you must consult with your doctor. Incorrect anti-decubitus mattress can worsen the patient's condition.
Types and description
There are many types of anti-decubitus mattresses. First of all, they are divided into static and dynamic.
- Static mattress more like an ordinary orthopedic, as it allows you to tightly fix the position of the patient's body.Such samples are suitable only for people with preserved mobility, as well as for rehabilitation for spinal injuries. Please note that if the bone marrow is damaged, you can only use a static mattress without a compressor.
- Dynamic models are made in two variations. The cell variant is suitable for those with partial mobility. There are significant limitations imposed on health indicators. First, the patient should not weigh more than 120 kg. Secondly, if the bedsores are already present, their severity should not exceed 2 degrees.
- Cell variant is a construct composed of multiple air chambers. They are often placed in a checkerboard pattern.
- The tubular mattress is suitable for obese people and for those who are completely immobile. The degree of pressure sores can be the highest - the fourth.
- Balcony mattress It is usually designed with a hole for the vessel in order to facilitate the work of the caregiver and to ensure a tolerable level of hygiene.
Each of these options is usually equipped with laser perforation, which provides a sleeper with adequate ventilation.There are also mattresses with blowing: they additionally cool the body of the patient.
Such specimens are most suitable for people who suffer from excessive sweating.
Classic dynamic systems are equipped with compressors. More expensive models come complete with a control unit located on the side of the patient.
- The control unit allows you to switch modes of the mattress.
- The compressor can work from the power supply network, and work as an autonomous construct.
- Network models are equipped with special fuses that protect against short circuits, and standalone ones do not need additional recharge. They cost much more expensive.
Separately allocate a children's mattress, which differs from an adult similar model only in size and coating. It should be hypoallergenic and soft, the use of natural fabrics is encouraged.
Soft silicone models are suitable for the operating table. For long-term operation, they are not suitable, but the patient will be more comfortable on such a substrate.
In this section, the filling of static models will be considered, since for dynamic systems the filler is air pumped inside the compressor.
Several materials are used as fillers for static mattresses: polyvinyl chloride, foam rubber (polyurethane foam) and gel.
- Polyvinyl chloride cheap, but it has one important disadvantage. PVC mattresses are practically not ventilated, as a result of which the recumbent patient sweats heavily. However, polyvinyl chloride systems are easy to clean, they dry quickly, do not absorb unpleasant odors.
- Polyurethane (foam) mattress is ventilated much better than its cheap counterpart. It is also well cleaned and does not absorb foreign odors, however, such models can not be washed with plain water. It is advisable not to wet the base at all and to clean it with slightly damp wipes.
- Polyurethane foam The mattress for a functional bed is suitable for lying down with spinal injuries. Be sure to choose the softest models, allowing you to drown the body inside them. Buttocks, shoulder blades and other protruding parts will be sunk into the mattress, and the lower back will provide a sufficient level of support.
- Gel Mattresses are an intermediate option between static and dynamic models. Due to the fluctuation of the gel inside the body massage is performed not only from left to right, but also from the bottom up. Such models are not suitable for people with existing bedsores, as well as for those who are constantly bedridden. Gel mattresses are not a bad alternative to cell complexes.
Pros, cons and contraindications
The benefits of the use of anti-decubitus mattresses, there are so many. The first and foremost of these is the prevention of pressure sores and the improvement of the condition of patients already suffering from them. Massage, created by anti-decubitus systems, stimulates tissues, preventing blood stagnation in them.
The system against bedsores is placed directly on the main mattress.
It is important to follow the rules of choice, which are quite simple.
- The anti-decubitus construct should not be more or less basic. It is necessary to select a model that exactly matches the size.
- Systems usually equip with practically silent compressors, however pay attention that noise which they make, did not exceed 10 DB.
Thus, ease of choice is another significant plus.
Necessary conditions - consultation with your doctor, as well as familiarization with the list of contraindications.
The disadvantages include the inability to use the anti-decubitus specimen as an alternative to the ordinary one. In the case of dynamic systems, they are placed on a conventional orthopedic mattress, which is both a plus and a minus.
Not every antidecubital kit can be used in cases where the patient has suffered an injury to the musculoskeletal system. A hip fracture, a strong spinal injury (especially one that has affected the back of the brain) require rigid fixation of the body without any massage effect: it will only lead to a deterioration of the condition.
Choosing a mattress for cancer patients, it is best to focus on cellular systems. As a rule, such patients are not completely deprived of mobility and often suffer from dystrophy. Massage will help them improve their well-being. It is important to pay attention to the fact that the compressor is not noisy, since the dynamic systems are not turned off while sleeping. Cancers sleep quite sensitively, the compressor should not disturb them.
The length and, in particular, the width of anti-decubitus mattresses vary considerably, but these parameters usually correspond to the typical parameters of ordinary mattresses.
The most common mattress for small single beds measuring 800 x 1900 mm, since people suffering from immobility, rarely placed on the double hulk.
There are mattresses of 70, 80 cm wide. Seventy centimeter constructions are intended more for children than for adults, since few people will feel free on a 70-centimeter bench. In length, such mattresses usually make either 190 cm or 200 cm. This parameter depends on the dimensions of the main mattress or bed.
Pay attention to the correlation of the bed and the anti-decubitus mattress. If you pick up too large a model that will hang down the sides, this is fraught with some difficulties, especially if the patient is suffering from excess weight.
The bends will not allow air to circulate inside the mattress, with the result that the compressor is constantly overloaded and may break. In addition, the pressure in this canvas is unevenly distributed, so that the anti-decubitus effect is reduced to zero.
Too small systems are different.The convenience of the patient should be in the first place, and lying on a mattress that does not correspond to the size of the bed can cause significant discomfort.
Another cornerstone is that small systems slide, and you cannot fix them with pins or other sharp objects - there is a chance to pierce the cavities.
How much does it weigh?
The weight of the mattress depends on the selected model. So, cell structures can weigh up to 3 kilograms, tubular ones can weigh up to 5. Static mattresses weigh much more, mostly their weight is the same as that of ordinary orthopedic models.
Has a mass and compressor. As a rule, it is he who is the most difficult, and you need to carefully consider how to arrange it in the best possible way.
Ordinary hooks on the walls can not stand, so many people resort to this method: they hang the compressor right from the side of the bed. Such an arrangement of this massive object is very convenient, since a partially mobile patient will be able to independently switch air supply modes, if such is equipped with a mattress.
It is also important to think about the weight of the patient.The more complete the patient, the more refined (and therefore heavy) he will need a mattress. Tubular models should be equipped with additional perforation and blowing. Each of these options adds to the weight of the mattress, and to its value.
Both static and dynamic models differ in different principles of operation. If static models can be simply installed and immediately, without prior preparation, the patient is put in, then dynamic options require a more serious approach.
Principle of operation
Static mattresses do not differ much in the way they work from orthopedic models; however, they have a different structure, supporting the whole body at once and not allowing any individual points to receive the entire effect.
In dynamic systems, air is alternately supplied to one or the other chambers. Usually cameras are filled in a checkerboard pattern. The cycle of changing filled cells or cylinders does not exceed 10 minutes, and such a quick change does not allow blood to stagnate in the skin tissues. In addition, the change of cells allows you to massage the muscles and internal organs, improving the overall condition of the patient.
The compressor can be connected to the mains, and such models are more in demand than standalone ones.The need to place the compressor near the outlet imposes certain restrictions on the placement of the bed with a mattress. Tubes of the compressor should be located in the legs, while they should not be allowed to cross and weave. The compressor feeds air into the mattress through the tubes.
Gel complexes do not need to be connected from the power grid, they move by themselves under the body of a bed patient. In this case, the massage effect is not so pronounced, but this does not mean that it is worse. On gel mattresses there is a complete relaxation of the whole body. In some cases, they can be used for a healthy person who just wants to achieve a massage effect during sleep.
How to use: instructions for use
Each specific model has its own operating conditions, however There is a set of basic characteristics that are inherent in all dynamic mattresses.
- Do not inflate the mattress after putting the patient on it. This is due to the fact that the compressor is much easier to cope with the inflation of the structure without load, and in the future just to maintain the required level of pressure.
- You can not fasten the anti-decubitus mattress, as well as a sheet on it, with the help of pins.
- All tubes and compressor should be placed in the legs of the bed. Pay attention so that the tubes do not intertwine and are not placed under the mattress.
- On top of the anti-decubitus mattress, it is customary to lay absorbent diapers. They serve as a bearable substitute for the ship’s compartment, but not sufficient. In addition, on the one hand, hygroscopic diapers have a completely hermetic coating, which contributes to the greenhouse effect. It is extremely important to immediately buy a mattress, taking into account the fact that the patient is not walking.
- Adjusting the level of pressure, use a simple test. After the mattress is inflated and the patient is laid, try to stick your finger between the anti-decubitus mattress and the ordinary mattress. If the finger passes too easily, it means that the cells are inflated tightly and you need to blow off the mattress a little. In case the finger practically does not pass, it is necessary to increase the pressure in the mattress.
To date, the most trusted models from Europe.
- In huge honor - German anti-decubitus mattresses. Such companies as Titan Deutschland Gmbh, Belberg and others are well established in the market. Their samples are of excellent quality and affordable price, while the range is constantly updated.
- China and Taiwan They offer quite decent samples, but you should not buy sophisticated models from these manufacturers. It is best to resort to buying Chinese mattresses, if you need an option for a short time, for example, for a semi-annual rehabilitation after an injury. Unfortunately, the warranty period offered by China is rather small - only 1 year. After the end of the warranty service, the mattresses fail, as practice shows.
- Buy polish mattress - this is practically the same as buying German. By quality, they are almost equivalent to each other. The main difference lies in the price tag for the product: Poland supplies mattresses more expensive, but in some cases they are equipped with rare additional options, such as a special coating. The most famous is the brand Armed, which has been on the medical goods market for several decades.
- Manufacturers from Russia also supply high quality products, but the price tag remains much higher than that of other representatives.This is due to the fact that the Russian models are equipped to the maximum in order to guarantee the comfort of a bed patient. They are made of durable materials, and the mattresses themselves offer a long warranty.
Many buyers share their experiences on buying anti-decubitus mattresses. Most people acquire such constructions for bed relatives, and the reason is simple: caring for the immobilized patient is extremely difficult. Almost all reviews speak in favor of buying an anti-decubitus mattress for several reasons.
- Firstly, it is not easy to take care of a bed patient because it needs to be turned over at least every 1-2 hours. With anti-decubitus mattresses, everything becomes much simpler: now it is required to turn the person every 3-4 days. This greatly facilitates the work of the caregiver.
- Another difference of the specialized complexes is that anti-decubitus mattresses are equipped with foot sockets and a compartment for the vessel. Many buyers noted that having such options made their life even easier for them, and the patient began to feel much more comfortable.
- Another thing that was noted by people is that the mattresses against bedsores guarantee a massage effect, thus partially preventing complete muscle atrophy. As a result, the pain in the patient's body becomes less pronounced, and his suffering decreases.
In general, it is recommended to buy a similar mattress, however, it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the compressor does not make noise: it is impossible to disconnect the product at night, and it is important to take care that it does not prevent the patient from sleeping.
Which is better to choose?
The choice of a particular model depends entirely on the desired effect to be achieved. If a person is immobilized only incompletely and retains at least a partial ability to move, a cell sample will be the best choice. It is not necessary to choose a complex structure, it can be limited to 1-2 modes of air supply.
In the presence of strong bedsores, with a large weight or complete immobility, it is better to give preference to balloon mattresses. They are better than the cell cope with the function of tissue massage under high body pressure.
A priori, it is worth looking for a mattress that guarantees good ventilation. It is important to pay attention to the filler and the presence of perforation.
If the patient suffers from excessive sweating and is also obese, it is best to find a model with additional airflow. This will make a person's stay in bed more comfortable.
For serious spinal injuries should not choose a dynamic mattress, you need to stay only on the static. During recovery, the complete fixation of the patient is important, but at the same time, bedsores can occur quite quickly. To avoid this, body pressure on the surface should be evenly distributed without much pressure on certain areas.
How to blow off?
Anti-decubitus mattress deflates slowly, be prepared for this. Many complain that with independent attempts to blow it, the air is distilled from one cell to another, and it is impossible to completely "kick" it out of the canvas.
However there is a few tricks to make this procedure as comfortable as possible.
- First you need to disconnect the compressor from the network or turn off the power of an autonomous sample. With the compressor running, the mattress will not blow off.
- Next, disconnect the compressor along with the tubes from the mattress. Do not remove the mattress from the bed.
- Gradually start smoothing the mattress with your hands. Do not rush or press too hard. Gradually, the air will completely come out.
- When the cells are almost blown away, you can gradually fold the mattress into a tight harness from the head to the legs. Thus, you will finally get rid of the air in the cavities, in parallel with this, not allowing it to “roam” inside the mattress from cell to cell.
- Keep the mattress should be folded.
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in blowing off the anti-decubitus mattress, it is only important to be patient and follow the instructions given.
You should not knock on it or try to "expel" the air, trampling down the complex with your feet, this will not help.
How to care for an anti-decubitus mattress?
For different types of mattresses, the rules of cleaning are different, however some typical recommendations can still be given.
- Abrasive substances or materials such as hard sponges or iron brushes should not be used for cleaning mattresses. All this can damage the protective layer of the coating model.
- Clean the mattress only in the inflated state. Make sure that the sample is sufficiently elastic - this will greatly facilitate the cleaning process.
- After general cleaning, the mattress should be dried in a room protected from sunlight. Do not expose the mattress to direct sunlight.
- Mattresses can not be ironed even in the deflated state. If it is necessary to disinfect them, quartz treatment and special antiseptic sprays are used.
- Store anti-decubitus kits in a deflated folded form.
To make the care as simple as possible, it is recommended to carry out regular preventive cleaning once a week.
You will learn more about mattresses on bedsores from the following video.