It is difficult to imagine a modern person who does not care what to sleep on. The daily rhythm is exhausting, so you want to relax to the maximum: on an even mattress with comfort and health benefits.
With the advent of new types of raw materials, spring designs have to work harder, offering the buyer a completely different look at spring mattresses. Today, such mats are radically different from the Soviet counterparts, which explains their popularity.
Advantages and disadvantages
Spring mattresses - the main line of mattresses of each modern brand, which produces sleep mats.And today, such products are intended not only for the bed: they do an excellent job with the organization of a berth on the floor, a sofa, they can be put on a sofa or a folding chair. These are frame products with a metal core and a special additive to maintain the desired shape.
Due to the presence of a metal frame and the springs themselves, such mattresses are inconvenient to transport. They should not be worn as folding models or kept twisted in a roll: they need a solid base, so they are initially located on a solid surface (for example, on a bed with a wooden frame).
Spring mattresses are universal and have a number of advantages. They:
- reliable and practical, designed for long life;
- differ in a convenient and comfortable surface of a berth;
- with proper packing and the right size of the springs, they have an orthopedic effect, providing anatomical support to the body in any position (lying on its side, back, abdomen);
- in some models reduce pain in the spine, waist, shoulders, legs;
- have a wide choice of models with the expectation of different height, weight of the user and the number of beds;
- suitable for beds (sofas) with or without limiters;
- There are standard or non-standard size and shape (rectangular, oval, square and round);
- depending on the model and components may have an additional effect and a different degree of rigidity of the block;
- contain a hypoallergenic filler that does not emit toxins and does not cause allergies (important for users with extremely sensitive and irritated skin);
- manufactured in bulk or to order, taking into account the individual preferences of the client;
- based on the volume and cost of the constituent materials, differ in different prices, allowing the buyer to choose the most suitable option not to the detriment of his own taste and wallet.
Today, the design of such units is being developed with the possibility of minor repairs, which saves the budget and replaces broken parts.
Alas, the spring mattresses have disadvantages, and the reason for this is the springs themselves. Such mats:
- sensitive to abrupt loads, which is accompanied by the stretching of steel elements;
- due to the metal accumulate static electricity, exerting a magnetic effect on the user's body;
- during intensive operation, they can fail, break, fall (weakening or breaking of springs with a break of upholstery fabric);
- absolutely not suitable as children's mattresses for babies and children of primary school age;
- unsafe, as a sharp breakage of the spring can injure the user's body;
- during operation may produce an unpleasant creak;
- have a high cost in the designs of the orthopedic plan with an additional effect.
Types and device
Drawing attention to the mass of varieties offered by trademarks for sale, it is difficult not to get lost. If you need to purchase it is important to know the basics of the structure, the types of spring mattresses: this will simplify the purchase and will allow you to purchase exactly what you need.
The internal structure of the grid. Despite the apparent difficulty of recognizing the structure of a block, in reality there are only two types of them:
- dependentin which the springs are interconnected;
- independent, not having a metal spring connection.
The basis of each design is a metal mesh with vertical steel elements of twisted shape, located close to each other.The difference between the two types is not so great, however, it is she who changes the properties of the block.
In the spring mattress of the dependent type, each spring has a connection with those that surround it, not counting the connection along the upper and lower edges of the grid. This system is called "Bonnel". Under load, the working springs deflect themselves and pull behind them those with which they are connected. Therefore, the user notes a certain discomfort, because you have to fall into a hole, always ready to move to any place of the block (wave formation). The limiter of an extension of springs is the trellised basis of a bed. As a rule, it is made of birch or pine lamellae (wooden crossbars, located across the length at the same distance from each other).
In the mattresses of this type today use bicone, tapering in the center of the wire helix. This makes it possible to somewhat alleviate the weight of the entire mat, to reduce the consumption of metal material, and most importantly, to eliminate the friction of the springs against each other. Mattresses "Bonnel" with sand springs are durable, they have passed the test of time, have a long service life.Due to the increased wire thickness of the joint of steel elements, during operation, individual springs are less often reloaded, so they do not fail for a long time.
Independent unit (Pocket)
In the independent type of spring block, each spring, no matter how many, is packed in an individual case of breathable textiles, so it has no connection with nearby ones. To make the grid solid, all springs are connected to the micropackage. Due to this peculiarity, under load, only those springs that are under pressure are put into operation. Buying a mattress, you can be sure that with any load there will be no hole. Moreover, the position of the spine, in contrast to models of the dependent type, will always be correct.
Because of the autonomous operation of each spring with a point load, they fail more often. With intensive and long-term operation, the wire is able to break the fabric cover, which is bad for the whole mattress (the structure of the additional filler is destroyed).
See what the difference between dependent and independent springs is in the next video.
With reinforced spring block
One of the improved designs are models with double independent springs. In pocket-type mattresses, an element with a smaller diameter is introduced into a large vertical spring. With the calculated normal pressure, only external springs are operated. If additional support is needed, the second elements are included. This unit is the most durable: supplemented with a special gasket, it is a serious competitor to springless models.
Usually, a high-quality wire is used in production, and it is considered that the more of it in the net, the more reliable the mattress. However, few people know that the number of springs is not enough to determine the quality and durability of the block. To buy what you need, you should know their features. Then it is easier to understand the speech of the seller, sometimes supported by strange terminology. And if he speaks about springs, it is important to understand the name and practical characteristics: the service life and own health depend on it.
Today in the manufacture of spring mattresses use springs of different shapes. Each category has its pros and cons:
- "Hourglass". Fitted spiral capable of adjusting the surface of the block to the contours of the user's body, not having a point orthopedic support of the spine due to the large diameter of the spring at the surface of the block.
- "Grace". These springs are not resistant to lateral deformation; they cannot sag evenly under pressure. When pressure is created on a block, large diameter areas react. When reinforcing the load in the work included the central region of the springs. Such elements are used in economy class blocks. They are not designed for users with excess body and are contraindicated when buying a baby mattress.
- Standard. Barrel springs are the basis of most spring-based models, filling the line of budget, standard and premium mattresses. Outwardly, such elements resemble a cylinder, with coils narrowed at the edges. This feature allows you to provide fine adjustment of the unit under the human body. However, this is not enough: the size of the spring should be small. These springs quietly carry lateral deformation, although they can create friction between them. For them to provide an orthopedic effect, their diameter must be small.In addition, it is worth remembering: the thicker the wire and more coils have springs, the better the quality of the mattress.
All existing varieties of the spring unit are soft. Of course, the rulers do not find models with a particularly hard surface type, like those of springless counterparts. In any case, even when supplemented with solid material, the springs will stretch under load.
According to the degree of rigidity of the spring mattresses are:
- soft - classic economy class options that do not have an additional effect;
- moderately tough - products for the main circle of customers with additional effect;
- tough - analogues of orthopedic springless mattresses with orthopedic support for the user's body.
Each degree of rigidity is calculated on a certain weight, health and age of a person. Of the unique spring-based models worthy of attention, it can be noted:
- bilateral structures with varying degrees of surface hardness;
- bilateral models with asymmetry (different pressure of the two halves of the block, mats for two);
- bilateral products with thermoregulation (option "winter-summer", warm on the one hand and refreshing on the other);
- models with dedicated hardness zones.
Fillers and upholstery
No spring block can be performed without adding a special filler and a special cover. Often, the packing determines the best qualities of the block, because the metal mesh itself is not a complete block. Do not do without a mattress cover: it ensures the integrity of the structure, covering all the details of the unit.
In the manufacture of spring mattresses, companies use a different type of filler, using the best types of stuffing with optimal density.
The most high-level fillers with excellent practical and wear-resistant properties include:
- natural latex - resilient, dense and elastic material of natural origin from hevea tree sap, permeated with openings of different depths and diameters (multilevel support for the spine in each section of the block);
- artificial latex - polyurethane foam filler (PUF) of class HR with a slight latex impregnation, rigid and not having internal cavities (budget alternative to natural latex);
- coir - a unique orthopedic material, coconut fiber produced from coconut pericarp;
- memorix - viscoelastic material with anatomical properties and able to take the contours of the body when heated;
- struttofiber and holofiber - volumetric stuffing materials that allow varying the degree of rigidity, are used as an additional layer;
- spandbond - hygroscopic material with high density, used to protect the external surface of the block and evenly distribute the load between the layers;
- felt, sheep and camel wool - additional natural layers, giving the block the desired heat-regulating effect.
Natural textiles with a dense texture (coarse calico, tic, jacquard, polycotton) are used as upholstery companies. Due to the non-slip texture of the material, bed linen will not gather in a pile, forming folds. The texture of the fabric can be smooth or embossed.
Dimensions and weight
Dimensions of spring mattresses are subject to the parameters of beds. There are several dimensional ruler standards:
- children, with the parameters 80x160, 60x120, 70x120, 80x120, 80x130, 90x120, 90x140, 100x130 cm;
- single bedswhose length and width are 180x80, 70x190, 80x190, 90x190, 190x110, 80x200, 90x200, 120x200, 220x90 cm;
- one and a half sleepingWith dimensions of 140x190, 140x200, 160x200 cm;
- double - 180x200, 190 x 200, 200x200, 210x200, 210x220 cm.
Different and the height of the mats. Spring models with a small layer have a standard height of 12 to 18 cm. Models with several layers of different filler are more luxurious: they reach a height of 24 cm or more. The weight of the spring blocks depends on the structure of the mat. On average, it ranges from 10 - 13 kg (in thin models) and up to 21 kg (in composite puff).
The color of the mattress depends on the chosen textile. In most cases, companies pack a block in white natural textiles. However, such a mattress is impractical, so customers are looking for more acceptable options: even covering the surface of the mattress with bed linen, over time it turns yellow, forms stains, looks untidy. Understanding this, companies put designs in covers in beige, light gray, cream color. Basically it is plain and unobtrusive shades. Among the rulers you can find models in a light blue, pale pink tone.
The line of children's spring mattresses is more resilient. Such covers differ in saturated colors: blue, pink, light green, orange, green.
How many springs should there be?
The number of springs is a special topic.Manufacturers indicate different data: from 500 to 2000 pcs. per square meter.
It is important to consider here: the more springs the block holds, the smaller their diameter and greater rigidity.
On average, if the construction of the block is sparse, the number of springs is 200 - 256 pcs. on 1 square. m. There are models of weaker: 100 - 150 springs per square meter. m. This unit can not be called good and durable. It can suit users weighing up to 60 kg, although it is impossible to call such a product reliable.
The standard number of springs varies from 420 to 500 pcs. on apt. m. Such designs constitute the main line of spring blocks. In some models, the number of elements varies from 625 to 1000 pcs. The surface of such products is quite tough. These designs are good for users whose weight exceeds 90 kg. However, for heavy users weighing more than 140 kg, they are not suitable, since the heavy weight will quickly push through any springs.
On average, the spring mattress is designed for 10 - 15 years. The indicator of each model varies, because it depends on the components and the structure of the unit. As a rule, mattresses with orthopedic effect are durable. With proper maintenance and care, they can last more than 15 - 20 years. Models of the dependent type have a shorter service life: 8 - 12 years.If you do not jump, periodically turn the product on the other side, use the mat in accordance with the weight load, the product honestly "work out" the allotted time.
How to choose?
Before buying, you should familiarize yourself with some recommendations that will help facilitate the selection:
- First, you should consult with your doctor, to find out his opinion about the benefits and compliance of such a unit with the medical indicators of a particular person.
- You should never take a mattress "on the fly": the choice must be solid and well thought out. You need to scroll through the information about several models in case the choice in the store will be limited.
- A polyurethane block based on dependent springs of two-sided softness should not be considered: day after day, such a mattress will deform the posture, forcing the body to take unnatural poses. You should not try to save in this way: winning money, health will be lost, which will lead to regular headaches, a sense of chronic fatigue, convulsions, painful sensations in the lower back and shoulder girdle.
- The independent type of spring block is worthy of consideration, however, given some nuances.It makes no sense to take a model with a minimum number of springs: there is no desired back support in such a unit, even if it is equipped with coconut coir or latex.
- If you want to choose a high-quality and practical product, you should pay attention to the “Micropacket” and “Multipacket” models with elastic supplement from several layers of different orthopedic material.
- Well, if you manage to get a block with double springs: such a design is especially important for a double or spacious mattress. In this case, the rest and the weight of each partner are taken into account, the rolling of a person with less weight to more is excluded. Depending on the weight of the users, in such a block, uniform pressure is created on both half of the mattress with the use of smaller springs under special load.
- Will children fit? No matter how trademarks prove the opposite, such models are not intended for children, especially babies. Buying a mattress in the spring in the crib for a child of 3 years, you can not count on the excellent orthopedic properties of the mat. Compared to springless counterparts, the orthopedic effect of such models is less pronounced.It is enough for adults, but not enough for babies and newborns, whose spine does not yet have the necessary bends. Any discrepancy between stiffness, spring size or wrong choice of packing can affect the formation of posture.
Watch the following video, which will help not to make a mistake in choosing a mattress.
What affects the quality?
The main points affecting the quality of the spring mattress include:
- spring density (number and diameter);
- steel wire thickness (at least 2 mm);
- high-quality, dense packing;
- natural textiles cover;
- durable metal frame;
- properly selected glue in the right quantity;
- fair execution.
How to replace the spring unit and drag the mattress?
Repair of the spring unit is an occupation that is within the power of every owner of the house. If the springs are out of order, they can be replaced. To do this, you need to disassemble the mattress, after removing the cover, then the inner textile covering the unit itself. Broken elements are twisted with pliers, and then replaced with new ones, purchased in a specialized store.
As for the cover, it is usually not subject to restoration.
There are two possible solutions:
- cut it into individual parts, carve out a new one, sew it and put it on the block;
- use the services of stores, buying ready-made packaging to the desired size (order on the seller's website).
It should be borne in mind that the cover is preferable to a removable plan: you can change it in the future or wash it when it is dirty.
Rating of the best manufacturers
To understand how modern spring mattresses look, you should look at the products of companies tested by time and real users:
- Askona - a wide range of models for different weight and age, models with a guarantee and a removable cover on the padding polyester;
- Consul - designs made by new technologies, taking into account age and medical indicators, equipped with a natural breathable cover with 3D inserts, have a warranty of more than 20 years;
- Ormatek - options with orthopedic effect, good support for the spine for adults, double-sided medium-sized models on springs;
- "Promtex Orient" - designs for different age groups with a maximum allowable weight of up to 150 kg, dressed in a removable case, universal and preventive models for young and older users with care to reduce pressure on the muscles of the body;
- Dreamline - high-quality spring mats with high strength and durability, have an average surface hardness.
Spring mattresses are a controversial topic. According to buyers, such products should be purchased in the event that a person is completely healthy. For children, caring parents tend to choose springless counterparts, given the benefit of the latter and the most pronounced orthopedic effect.
In general, users are happy with their purchases. From the large selection of models, they distinguish double-sided spring mattresses of the independent type “Multipacket” with double springs and thermoregulation. Such mats are comfortable, comfortable, they are warm, they do not overheat the body, they create a cozy atmosphere, - the customers write in the reviews.