Penoplex Adhesive: Selection Criteria
Penoplex - the heat-insulating material which is widely applied in construction. For fixing the plates most often use modern adhesive compositions, the assortment of which has several dozen items. How to choose the best option and make the right choice, read this article.
Penoplex is a foamed polystyrene with a homogeneous structure of small air cells. At the moment, only two types of penoplex with different density are on sale: 35 and 45 kg / m³.
The difference between the two materials is significant, starting from the properties and technological qualities and ending with the appointment:
- Penoplex 35 kg / m³ is intended for arranging thermal insulation in industrial and residential buildings;
- 45 kg / m³ penoplex is used in the construction of highways, gas and oil pipelines, in railway construction.
In addition, the material is used for insulation of the facade, roof, foundation and interior walls of buildings.
Technical characteristics of Penoplex:
- high moisture resistance;
- low thermal conductivity;
- resistance to mechanical stress;
- ease of installation and processing;
- weak chemical activity;
- low burnability;
- environmental friendliness;
- affordable cost.
Installation of this heater is carried out using a special adhesive, the choice of which depends not only on the duration of the material, but also on the health of people living in the house.
Types of adhesives
All glue products on the market for penoplex are characterized by a high level of adhesion. Due to this, there is a reliable coupling of the composition with the surface, thereby strengthening the finish and improving its quality.
As a rule, adhesives come with instructions for use and a brief description of the technical characteristics, which include:
- temperature parameters for installation and further operation;
- air humidity indicators;
- what kind of surface the material is intended for;
- view of the heat-insulated surface.
The range of adhesives for penoplex is divided into several types.
This material is a thick mixture based on bitumen, which retains its original properties even at sub-zero temperatures. Bituminous adhesives are widely used in construction, in particular, for waterproofing the foundation. In addition to its direct purpose, it is an excellent hydrophobic filler for joints during installation of the penoplex.
Working with this material, it should be borne in mind that mastic does not need shrinkage and has a high level of adhesion with mineral and metal surfaces.
Work preferably spatula or maklovitsy.
This material is suitable for work with any surfaces. However, the work should take into account the peculiarity of the place where repairs will be carried out. For installation inside the building using the usual compositions, but for carrying out outdoor insulation used specialized tools that are resistant to frost and temperature extremes.
In the sale of the composition presented in tubes.Apply on the basis of the best "snake" over the entire surface of the sheet. For gluing the penoplex to the surface, it takes only 10-20 seconds - “liquid nails” have time to grab during this time.
The only negative is the rather high price of the material.
Mineral adhesives are presented in the form of dry mixes and are diluted with water to the desired consistency before use. They are distinguished by high adhesion and are well combined with concrete, brick and gas silicate surfaces. Their advantage is high plasticity, which allows the material to be applied in a thin layer.
Apply using a toothed trowel. After drying, do not "sit down", keeping the volume.
For outdoor work there are special moisture and cold resistant compounds.
Such adhesive compositions are produced in special metal cylinders and can only be used with the help of special equipment - a gun for polyurethane foam. When applied correctly, the material lies on the substrate in even zigzags, allowing it to reach a setting over the entire surface area.
Such compositions are fast setting - just hold for half a minute, and the material will be firmly glued.But at the same time, the elasticity of the material is maintained for about 15 minutes.
Manufacturers and reviews
The modern building materials market offers a variety of adhesives for penoplex. We offer to get acquainted with the most popular and high-quality products from different manufacturers.
The Polish company Selena quickly gained popularity in our market. And all thanks to high quality products and loyal pricing. Almost the entire range of products is presented in the form of adhesives and sealants, one of which is the universal adhesive Tytan.
Professional Styro 753 series is most suitable for working with penoplex.resistant to precipitation, temperature extremes, moisture. This adhesive does not require shrinkage and ensures a tight fit of the material to the surface.
The popular company Cerisit, known as one of the best manufacturers of building materials, offers a whole line to work with penoplex.
Experienced professionals choose high quality formulations.
- Cerisit CT84 - special foam for foam plastics, used in cladding facades. It tolerates high and low temperatures (from -10 ° C to + 40 ° C).Differs in speed of drying - in a warm season the structure hardens in 2-3 hours. Work can be done using the mounting gun. This composition was loved by consumers for the harmonious ratio of affordable cost and excellent quality.
- Cerisit CT83 - dry mix for laying plates. Drying time is much longer than the previous material - the whole three days at above zero temperature. The composition is applied using a notched trowel. The approximate consumption of the mixture is 6 kg per m2. The only negative is that the material does not tolerate cold, so if the temperature is below zero, the work cannot be carried out.
- Cerisit CT85 - reinforcing glue used for bonding and subsequent reinforcement of tile material. Means can be applied only at positive temperature - from +5 to + 30 ° С. The mixture should be used within two hours after mixing. Approximate mix consumption: 6 kg / m2 - when gluing; 5 kg / m2 - when reinforcing.
This material is universal for bonding foam panels, as well as to create a protective reinforcing mesh. It has a high level of adhesion, elasticity, moisture resistance, frost resistance.It does not need shrinkage and tolerates both low and high temperatures.
Cement-sand mixture for working with penoplex has many advantages.
- Firstly, it is in good contact with cement and lime bases.
- Secondly, it adheres perfectly to the polystyrene base. In addition, the material is highly plastic, resistant to frost and is considered an environmentally friendly tool.
Most of the feedback from experts suggests that the quality of this material can be equated to more expensive means, although its pricing policy is much more loyal.
Glue for reinforcement and installation of plates on concrete, cement and plastered surfaces. The structure includes special substances that strengthen the bonding of the material with the base. After hardening, it becomes invulnerable to frost, moisture and external irritants. For the production of ProfLine ZK-4 high-quality raw materials are used, thanks to which this tool has all the above advantages.
It is a quality and durable tool for mounting sheets of foam insulation. Suitable for work with the surface of concrete, aerated concrete, brick, ceramic blocks.Like the previous formulations, it is distinguished by high adhesion, but is incompatible with the foil base, bituminous surfaces, plastic films, teflon and silicone.
The use of Penoplex Fastfix allows you to speed up the installation process and make it more qualitative.
How to choose for different surfaces?
The choice of the optimal adhesive composition depends on the type of surface.
- Dry coatings are suitable for outdoor insulation. They cling well with stone and brick foundations, as well as plaster. Choosing dry mixes, you should pay attention to the release date and package integrity - it should be hermetically sealed. Otherwise, the quality of the composition may suffer.
- Polymer and bitumen mixtures are used in waterproofing works.
- For reinforced concrete surfaces there are special polyurethane adhesives. And also such compounds can be used for the foundations of wood.
- For metal works, liquid nails, silicone sealants, polyurethane foam are suitable.
- Liquid nails are used when laying penoplex on plywood, sheeting, plastic.
If you plan to install insulation on the walls and ceiling, it is better to use a polymer mixture. Mineral adhesives are designed for outdoor use, but for interior it is better to choose polyurethane. The latter are particularly effective for arranging floor insulation.
If work is planned to be carried out on a dry surface, then gypsum-based and cement-based compositions give high-quality adhesives. The only drawback is that they begin to harden almost immediately after mixing, so the work should be carried out quickly. This creates some inconvenience in the work. Therefore, the composition is better to knead in small portions.
The speed of glue drying creates certain conditions during the internal work. In addition, almost all adhesives for Penoplex are distinguished by an unpleasant odor, which is subsequently difficult to erode.
There is a universal composition suitable for almost any surface - glue-foam. Suitable for interior and exterior work, insulation of the floor and ceiling. For a firm “setting” of the material with the base, just 15 minutes will be enough, and you can work even at sub-zero temperatures.
Depending on the type of surface, the method of sticking the plates of foam plastic is chosen.
- Strip. The mixture is applied around the perimeter of the foundation with strips at a distance of 20 cm from the edge. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that when gluing between the plates, so-called air plugs do not form - this will reduce the quality of the insulation.
- Lighthouse. The mixture is applied in strips along the entire perimeter of the surface and dotted in the center of the slab. Stripes should not be solid.
- Solid. The surface is completely covered with the mixture with a notched trowel.
Before applying the adhesive directly to the substrate, it must be prepared.
- How should be cleaned of dirt, primed (if indicated by the manufacturer) and dry.
- For greater adhesion of the surface of the penoplex, it is recommended to slightly walk with sandpaper.
- It is not recommended to glue the joints of the insulation. Their connection is carried out using adhesive tape EE.
It is important not to forget the peculiarities of working with adhesive compositions.
- On each package of adhesive composition indicated mixture consumption. However, experts recommend purchasing funds with a margin. Especially if you plan to process uneven surfaces, or if the work will be carried out by a person who does not have the experience of styling penoplex.
- Beginners should use long-lasting adhesives, as in the process of work, you may have to move or level the plates.
How to fix the insulation panels with glue for penolex, see the video below.