Glass Glue: Choice Features
The replacement of vinyl wallcovering has come more convenient and improved version - glass wallpaper. Due to the dense fibers present in their composition, they have many significant advantages. Let us consider in more detail the choice of glue for such finishing materials.
Glass fiber has a number of positive qualities. These can include:
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- they can be repeatedly painted;
- environmental Safety;
- heat resistance;
- moisture resistance;
- strengthening (reinforcing) walls;
- property breathable wallpaper.
Regular glue to this type of fiberglass will not work. You will need a mixture with a more complex composition, additives and high adhesion.
Stelcobears are much heavier and denser than vinyl, so the standard composition on a starch basis cannot ensure their tight adhesion to the wall. Professional adhesives contain modified starch and complex polymer compounds.
There are several requirements for them:
- they must be moisture-resistant so that the installation of wallpaper in rooms with high air humidity is possible;
- adhesion should be higher than that of conventional adhesive bases (to ensure good adhesion to the wall and prevent quick peeling off);
- the balance of alkali in the composition should not exceed the value - 6;
- A plus would be fungicide additives and antiseptics that prevent mold and fungi;
- the possibility of fast drying and high shelf life - they will simplify the task for inexperienced craftsmen;
- should avoid the solutions with strong odors - this is an indicator of harmful chemical additives.
The price of glue depends on two indicators:
- quality of adhesion to the working surface (adhesion);
- drying speed.
Specifications and composition
Fiberglass coatings are used not only for walls, but also for ceilings.
Glue mixtures are sold in two forms.
- Dry. Glue powder differs in long service life, compactness, more favorable price. The composition of the paste substance responsible for adhesion and antiseptic additives that fight against the appearance of fungi and mold. The only drawback is the long process of mixing with water. The liquid is added little by little and is constantly mixed with the powder, preventing the appearance of lumps.
- Ready. This mixture is ready for use. It contains antiseptic additives and polymers responsible for adhesion. Available in containers of 5 and 10 kg. They cost a little more than powder glue, but there are no special differences in their properties.
There are also varieties of adhesive solutions of a narrower or more broad focus. It all depends on what kind of glass you have, as well as on what surface you want to glue them. For fiberglass fit the following adhesive mixtures are suitable.
Plain glue is different from the usual composition of complex additives. He mated to keep wallpaper on the wall. The advantage of a universal solution in the ease of removing the wallpaper after a long period of operation. Not suitable for ceilings.
The compound adhesive contains additives that allow you to glue non-woven, fiberglass and other wallpaper surfaces.
Based on pva
Specially designed for sizing photo and wall wallpaper. The main feature is high moisture resistance, which allows its use in bathrooms and other rooms with high humidity. It is also distinguished by the ease of dismantling the wallpaper.
This is the strongest adhesive substance of all of the above. It is used for gluing heavy fabrics on the surface of the wall and ceiling. This glue guarantees high adhesion, but the process of replacing the wallpaper (when using this substance) without special tools will be difficult.
This type of glue is suitable for all types of wallpaper. It will be a good option for country houses, used only in the summer, cold terraces and other rooms, which are characterized by the influence of sub-zero temperatures.
When choosing adhesives, pay attention to their quality, the place of the manufacturer on the market, as well as compliance with the standards and requirements of GOST.
Overview of popular manufacturers
In the market of adhesives for glass wallcoverings, several manufacturers are distinguished, taking into account quality indicators, prices and popularity.
Such glue is sold in the form of powder, and as a finished mixture. It has many advantages:
- safe for health;
- heat resistant;
- moisture resistant;
- has a long service life;
- has an affordable price.
Dry powder should be diluted with water at room temperature according to the instructions on the package. Dries Oscar glue in 10-15 minutes. This property allows you to adjust the location of the wallpaper during work.
After drying, Oscar becomes transparent, does not leave marks and stains. Approaches a large number of surfaces: to a tree, concrete, cement and others. This manufacturer has the best reviews.
It consists of standard components: modified starch, funicides and antifungal substances. This glue is very effective and easy to use. It features such features as:
- environmental friendliness;
- easy way to get a mixture;
- easy application method.
It contains no chemical additives, so it is safe for people and animals. The quality of the clutch does not suffer from this. This adhesive is suitable for surface treatment of walls and ceilings. After mixing the powder and water, it is enough to wait 5 minutes, after which the solution will be ready for use. It dries on the surface slowly, giving the possibility of alignment and correction.
The main feature of Kleo is that it makes wallpaper breathable, and this prevents the appearance of mold and fungi.
Quelyd is a dry, coconut-like blend. It has a number of positive properties and advantages:
- protection against fungus;
- securely grips with surfaces;
- makes the finish "breathable."
The sheet can be corrected and corrected during gluing. Glue Quelyd after drying does not stain.
Metylan is a less popular wallpaper glue, characterized by high moisture resistance. It is more often used in rooms with high humidity. After gluing this composition wallpaper can be repeatedly painted. Does not leave marks and stains.
What to consider when choosing?
High-quality wallpaper glue is necessary for a beautiful and neat work with canvases of any kind. To select a suitable product, you need to consider the following criteria:
- glue should be suitable for heavy wallpaper;
- should be moisture resistant if the installation will take place in wet rooms;
- antiseptic and antifungal supplements will be a big plus;
- the composition should allow the finish to "breathe";
- if you like to change the color of the rooms, then pay attention to the compositions that allow repeated painting of wallpaper materials;
- short drying time;
- glue should be characterized by an easy cooking method;
- compliance with shelf life.
How to calculate the quantity?
In order to correctly calculate the consumption of glue, it is necessary to know the square surface of the walls or ceiling.
Take, for example, the total consumption of the finished adhesive composition of 200-300 grams per 1 m2. You also need to take into account the cost of glue for pre-treatment of surfaces with primer - this is 50-70 grams per 1 m2. The resulting figures (250-370 grams) of the composition multiplied by the square of the surface. Thus, you can find out the amount of glue you buy. It is better to take it with a small margin.
Useful tips from the pros
Skilled craftsmen revealed a number of nuances that will help with the finishing work.
- When powder glue is mixed, water is poured into the container, and a kind of funnel is created, into which the glue powder is slowly poured.
- Need to remove lumps after 5 or 10 minutes of swelling
- The working surface must be flat. To do this, the walls or the ceiling must first be puttied and primed (a highly diluted adhesive can be used instead of a primer).
- Textured glass is able to hide some irregularities, so there is no need to try to get a perfectly smooth surface.
- The putty and primer should dry to ensure maximum adhesion of the adhesive to the surface and wallpaper.
- Apply glue better roller or brush (depending on the size of the working surface). The composition is applied to the wall or ceiling, but not to the wallpaper. The layer should be uniform and be 1-2 mm.
- Excess glue must be removed using a sponge or rag.
- During splicing, a part of the glue may protrude at the junction of the wallpaper. It is not necessary to remove it - after drying it will not leave stains.
- With the imposition of wallpaper, you must be very careful, glue their joint to the joint.It is necessary to pay attention to the drawing to avoid irregularities.
- If your paste does not have heat resistance, then the temperature in the room should be above 10 degrees, but below 23.
- When drying in the room should not be drafts. It is necessary to avoid direct exposure to sunlight, otherwise there is a risk that the glue is bad to grapple with the wallpaper.
Given the above nuances, fiberglass wallpaper will be glued exactly and efficiently and will last for many years.
On how to glue the glass wall, see below.