Glue Litokol: technical characteristics and scope of use
In order to make a quality repair, it is necessary to take a responsible approach to the choice of not only finishing materials, but also related products. When facing the surface with tiles or mosaics, it is extremely important to use a high-quality adhesive compound. Clay Italian brand Litokol is very popular among customers in more than 90 countries around the world, thanks to its high performance and extensive use.
The Italian company Litokol specializes in the development and production of adhesive compositions for mosaics, tiles, porcelain tiles, as well as tiles made of natural stone.In the production of raw materials used only the highest quality, which allows to obtain glue with excellent technical characteristics. Under the brand Litokol comes several modifications of adhesive mixtures, each of which has its own qualities.
Speaking about the general properties of materials, we can highlight the following points.
- Health safety. In the manufacture of adhesive mixtures Litokol no harmful components are used, so the finished product is completely environmentally friendly.
- High adhesion with almost all types of bases. The adhesive composition allows you to tile even such complex bases as wooden and plastic surfaces.
- Excellent resistance to moisture and water. In the line of materials Litokol there is also a separate type of mixture for finishing tiles by tiles.
- Resistance to high and low temperature, as well as its sharp drops.
- The mixture has good elasticity.
Under the brand Litokol produced a large variety of adhesive mixtures.
All compositions can be divided into three main groups:
- cement based mixtures;
- acrylic dispersion mixtures;
- epoxy reactive composition.
Each group of adhesives has its own characteristics. Cement compositions have the widest range. Especially popular are such mixtures as Litokol X11, Hyperflex K100, Hyperflex K100 white and Litoflex K81 due to its versatility in the application. Such adhesive mixtures are fast hardening and no shrinkage. Cement-based materials are inexpensive compared to other modifications of the Litokol product.
It is worth noting that a small price does not affect the quality of the adhesive: the technical characteristics of cement mixtures are not lower than those of other compositions.
The material can be used both inside and outside the premises, can withstand sudden changes in temperature and exposure to atmospheric factors. Cement mixtures are produced in a dry form.
Dispersion mixtures are represented by two products: Litoacril Fix and Litoacril Plus. The formulations are available in the form of a pasty white mass, ready for application. The material has a fairly wide range of operating temperatures, which ranges from -30 to +90 degrees. The mixture is not afraid of direct contact with water and does not absorb it, which allows it to be used in rooms with a high level of humidity.
Epoxy-based tile glue is mainly used for tiling complex foundations. The composition is characterized by high strength and resistance to mechanical loads, therefore it is ideal for laying tiles in areas with high traffic.
Tips for choosing
Due to the wide range of Litokol adhesive mixtures, it is possible to choose the right composition for any task. When choosing, consider the following factors:
- place of finishing works: inside or outside the room;
- type of base: horizontal or vertical surface;
- materials of which the tiled covering and the basis are made.
When buying a material, it is necessary to carefully study the technical characteristics of the composition indicated on the package, which will allow to determine its purpose and properties. You can also pre-read the reviews to various modifications of the adhesive Litokol.
For work indoors, you can use both universal adhesive mixtures Litokol, and compositions for special purposes. As a rule, special modifications of adhesive for interior work are made from the most environmentally friendly raw materials.If cement-based compositions are used, it is desirable that the amount of dust emitted is minimal when a mortar is prepared. Litogres K44 ECO and Litoflex K80 eco blends belong to the category of dust-free materials.
For street work
To finish the facades of buildings, sidewalks and porch, you must choose compositions that have good resistance to weathering and temperature differences.
It is also worth paying attention to the operating parameters of the mixture. Compositions for outdoor work must be able to withstand high temperatures, as well as to have frost resistance. For example, these are mixtures like Litokol K17, Litoelastic, Litoplus K55 and Litofloor K66.
The complex foundations include surfaces that will be subjected to considerable mechanical stress during operation, as well as some materials: wood, iron, plastic, asphalt, old finishes, and warm floors. For this purpose, the two-component composition of Litokol Litoelastic is well suited, thanks to its versatility.
This mixture has high adhesion to any bases, has no shrinkage and is highly resistant to the negative influence of external factors.Glue is not afraid of water, and also resistant to vibrations, so it can be used in elevators or on landings. For finishing the system of warm floors, you can use the adhesive composition Litoflex K81.
Also dispersion mixture is well suited for work with some complex bases. Litoacril Plus. With this composition it is possible to lay tiles on surfaces that are susceptible to deformation, wood panels, as well as on old finishing materials (for example, on tiles or paintwork).
In rooms with a high level of humidity it is necessary to use only those compositions that have water-repellent qualities. Among the various adhesive mixes Litokol you can find many suitable options for finishing bathrooms and swimming pools. For example, mixtures Superflex K77, Litostone K98, Litoflex K81, Litoplus K55and dispersion formulations.
Litokol adhesive mixtures are widely used for tiling surfaces. However, some modifications of the adhesive can work with other materials. Acrylic-based Litokol formulations are widely used for fixing various sound and thermal insulation materials.
Betonkol K7 is used to form walls and partitions of bricks, cellular concrete, foam blocks and other materials. Also, this composition can be used for leveling surfaces. Some adhesive mixes Litokol can be used for laying marble and other natural stone, including large format.
Each type of adhesive mixtures Litokol can have its own characteristics of application. For this reason, before starting work, it is recommended that you read the instructions on the packaging of the material.
To work with any composition it is necessary to prepare the surface. It should be smooth and clean. If the tile is to be laid on the floor, it is necessary to wait until the cement-sand screed is completely dry (about 28 days from the moment of formation). Small irregularities are allowed on the surface (no more than 0.3 cm).
After cleaning and degreasing the surface, it is recommended to treat the substrate with a primer, water-repellent compound. Before applying the adhesive mixture, the primer should be completely dry.
The adhesive composition is applied not to the entire area of the surface being treated at once, but only on its small part.The layer of glue should turn out to be uniform, for this purpose the mixture is spread using a metal spatula, after which it is worked on with a toothed leveling iron. Tiled material is laid on the treated surface and well pressed down.
After laying the tile for one day, the adhesive must be reliably protected from direct contact with water. In the following week, the surface should be protected from exposure to freezing temperatures and direct sunlight.
Tips and tricks
When working with certain types of bases and adhesives may be certain difficulties. When buying a material and using it is worth remembering a few points.
- Cement compositions are not recommended for gypsum surfaces, as these materials do not interact well with each other. An alternative solution may be to prevent their direct contact. To do this, before applying the adhesive, gypsum bases are subject to mandatory priming.
- Before laying a glass mosaic on the surface of a pool or fountains, the base must be treated with a mixture of cement and sand in order to achieve perfect alignment.
- It is always necessary to take into account the rate of hardening of the used Litokol glue, since after the formation of a film on the applied composition, it will be possible to glue the tile to this area only after applying a new layer. It is worth remembering that the drying time may vary depending on the temperature and humidity conditions. For example, in direct sunlight and under the influence of dry wind, the process of curing the adhesive will take place faster.
- When working with adhesive mixtures Litokol tile does not need to be soaked in water.
- If it is necessary to tile the surfaces that will be subjected to high mechanical loads, it is recommended to apply the adhesive mixture both on the base and on the reverse side of the tile.
See the video below for how to apply glue to the tile.