Use of Plitonit B glue
The construction market offers a huge range of products for laying ceramic tiles. Plitonit B glue, which is used not only indoors but also outside, is in great demand among buyers.
The Plitonit company is a joint Russian-German production for the production of building chemicals intended for professional and domestic use. Tile adhesive Plitonit B is one of the names of a huge range of products of this brand. It is designed for laying ceramics and porcelain tiles indoors. The basis for gluing can be made of various building materials: concrete, reinforced concrete, gypsum plaster, brick, tongue-and-groove slabs.This type of glue is also used for facing floors that are equipped with a heating system.
Due to the plasticity of the composition, the facing material does not slide off the vertical surfaces.
The composition of the solution includes cement binders and adhesives, as well as fillers with a maximum grouping of grains of up to 0.63 mm and modifying additives that give it enhanced adhesive properties.
Advantages and disadvantages
The use of Plitonit B glue has its advantages.
- Reasonable price of products.
- High elasticity of the material.
- Glue preparation for work does not require special skills. It mixes easily with liquid even without a mixer.
- It has excellent grip with a vertical surface.
- Moisture and frost resistance of the product. The possibility of using for outdoor work, as well as in rooms with high humidity.
- High performance.
- Installation takes the minimum amount of time.
- Wide area of use.
Basically, there are no disadvantages when using this adhesive solution, but if the installation work is carried out incorrectly, the facing materials may lag behind the surface.The material is produced in bags of 5 and 25 kg, there is no possibility to purchase the mixture in a smaller volume.
- the greatest volume of grains is 0.63 mm;
- appearance - gray, flowing homogeneous mixture;
- slipping of tile material from a vertical surface - 0.5 mm;
- open time - 15 minutes;
- time adjustment of tile material - 15-20 minutes;
- the viability of the finished mixture - no more than 4 hours;
- maximum thickness of the adhesive layer - no more than 10 mm;
- temperature regime for installation work - from +5 to +30 degrees;
- troweling works - after 24 hours;
- the temperature of the glue line in the process of work is up to +60 degrees;
- frost resistance - F35;
- compressive strength - M50;
- adhesion strength of a tile with a concrete surface: ceramics — 0.6 MPa, porcelain stoneware — 0.5 MPa;
- shelf life - 12 months.
The instructions on the package indicate the approximate consumption of tile adhesive on any surface, but the amount of material needed can be calculated independently. Consumption of adhesive depends on many factors.
- Tile size: if it is large, then the glue consumption will be large.
- Material manufacturing tiles. Conventional tile has a surface with a porous structure that better absorbs glue. Porcelain tiles, on the contrary, less absorbing adhesive solution.
- Flatness: on a smooth need a smaller amount of glue than on the grooved.
- The quality of the prepared base.
- Specialist skills.
For a tile with a size of 30x30 cm, the average glue consumption will be approximately 5 kg per 1 m2 with a seam thickness of 2-3 mm. Accordingly, for facing 10 square meters. m square will need 50 kg of adhesive. For smaller tiles, for example, 10x10 cm, the average consumption will be 1.7 kg / m2. A tile with a side of 25 cm will require approximately 3.4 kg / m2.
Stages of work
In order for the repair to be carried out qualitatively, it is necessary to perform successive actions when laying tiles.
Plitonit B glue should be applied on a strong, even, strong base that is not subject to deformation. It is recommended to thoroughly clean the working surface from various types of contamination: debris, dust, dirt, old coating (glue, paint, wallpaper, etc.), grease. The cracks and cracks are filled with a putty, and then the working surface is treated with a primer.
Plasterboard materials also need to be treated with a primer, it is better to use a mixture of the brand Plitonit. It is necessary to protect the surface from the appearance of fungi and mold.
If the coating has a loose structure, then you need to primer in 2 layers. Floors are also treated with a special compound to prevent mold under the tiles, in particular this is necessary for bathrooms.
Preparation of the mixture
Before preparing the tile mix, you need to take into account certain recommendations.
- All components used must be at room temperature.
- Tools and containers that are completely free from contamination are used for mixing. If they have previously been used to prepare the mixture, then the remnants of the solution must be eliminated. They can affect the properties and quality of the freshly prepared composition.
- For the convenience of pouring the mixture into the container, you can use a trowel.
- For kneading only pure water is used, preferably drinking. Technical fluid may contain alkalis and acids, which adversely affect the quality of the finished solution.
For 1 kg of dry mix, 0.24 liters of water will be needed, respectively, 6 liters should be used for 25 kg of adhesive. Water is poured into a suitable container and the dry mixture is added.Mixing takes about 3 minutes, you can use a mixer or a drill with a special nozzle, as long as you get a uniform consistency without lumps. The readiness of the mixture is determined in such a way that when applied to a vertical surface it does not flow.
The finished mixture is set aside for 5 minutes, after which it is mixed again. In some cases it is possible to add water, but it is not recommended to exceed the indicated figures in the instructions.
It is necessary to apply the ready solution within 4 hours, but if the room temperature is high, the use time is significantly reduced.
Subtleties of application
- Plitonit B is applied with a smooth trowel in a thin, even layer. The coating of adhesive must be given a comb structure for better adhesion to the tile.
- If a dried crust forms on the surface of the applied solution, the layer is removed and replaced with a new one. The tile is placed on the glue and pressed into the mix with gentle twisting movements. The position of the facing material can be adjusted within 20 minutes. When installing the tile is recommended to use a laser level.
- Upon completion of the work with the seams of the tile removed excess adhesive. Cleansing is done with a knife until the mixture is frozen. The front side of the tile is cleaned from contamination with a rag or sponge soaked in water or a special solvent.
- When facing floors with a heating system, as well as laying tile materials of large sizes, in order to avoid the appearance of voids under the finished coating and to increase adhesion, experts recommend applying glue using the combined method. The structure is applied both on the prepared basis, and on the back party of a tile. Apply the adhesive to the tiles with a notched trowel, and then smooth the layer using a smooth one.
Plitonit B adhesive consumption with the combined method will increase by about 1.3 kg / m2 with a layer thickness of 1 millimeter.
You can often hear the opinion that the tile on the floor can be walked without waiting for the final drying of the glue. It is strictly forbidden to do this, because:
- if the adhesive mortar managed to dry out, but did not gain maximum strength, then there is a high risk of masonry shear;
- damage to tile material may occur, especially in areaswhere voids are formed due to insufficient amount of applied solution.
And a few more tips from the experts.
- It is recommended to walk on the tiled floor, as well as perform grouting only after the glue dries (after about 24 hours). Of course, the mortar dries longer and gains full force only after a few days, so it is not recommended to exert a heavy physical effect on the newly laid tile (moving furniture along it, for example). Otherwise, after 1.5-2 years will have to perform repairs again.
- It is not recommended to connect a floor heating system earlier than after 7 days.
- Additional heating of the room will speed up the drying process of the adhesive mixture.
- Before starting to mount the tile, it does not need to be soaked, it is enough to clean the back side of the material from dust and debris.
- In the process of laying tiles, the adhesive solution must be periodically mixed so that a film peel does not form.
- When performing work, use protective equipment (gloves, goggles) to prevent the solution from getting on the skin and eyes. The likelihood of splashing and eye contact increases with the use of a mixer to stir the mixture.
- Plitonit B glue should be stored in a closed dry room so that the environmental conditions ensure the safety of the packaging and protection from moisture.
- Keep out of the reach of children!
- Experts recommend preparing an adhesive solution in small portions in order to have time to apply it within 4 hours. The closer the end of the period of viability of the finished mixture, the lower its adhesion with the product.
Glue Plitonit B receives a lot of positive feedback from professional builders and beginners. Buyers note the ease of use, affordable price, impeccable performance. Another advantage of the composition is its excellent compatibility with surfaces made from a variety of materials. Glue is universal, which is an important factor when choosing materials for repair.
If we compare it with similar compositions from well-known trademarks, then Plitonit B is not only not inferior to them, but in many respects surpasses.
The main thing is to follow the recommendations of specialists when working with this type of adhesive solution, follow the instructions, ensure optimum temperature and humidity conditions and then the result will not disappoint you.
About features of use of Plitonit B glue look further.