Polymer adhesive: the pros and cons
Adhesives based on polymers are indispensable in many construction works: they perfectly fasten a variety of materials. This article will examine in more detail the pros and cons of such funds.
Polymer-based adhesive solutions are widely used both in everyday life and in professional construction.
First of all, such a tool has earned its popularity with the ability to firmly fasten almost any material and universality in its application.
Even those items that, it would seem, can only be joined using screws or nails, are capable of holding polymer adhesives together.
By its structure, this type of glue is a gel-like plastic mass, which consists of polymers and additional components.
The advantages of polymer blends are as follows:
- high level of adhesion with almost all possible materials;
- quick drying;
- instant fastening of various products;
- high strength of the bond;
- small consumption;
- ease of application;
- wide scope of application;
- moisture resistance;
- resistance to temperature fluctuations.
The main disadvantage of the adhesive polymer mixture is the toxicity of some compounds. When working with such tools need to observe precautions. In the case of interior work, the room must be well ventilated.
Glue polymer blends differ among themselves in some components that are included in their composition.
All modern compositions are divided into three main groups.
- Adhesives based on urea-formaldehyde resins, polyurethane and epoxy resin.
- Water based blends. Such glue can be diluted with water. This group includes PVA and bustilat (synthetic latex glue for wallpaper).
- Compounds that can be diluted with organic solvents. This type includes nitrocellulose (nitro adhesive), rubber glue and a mixture based on perchlorovinyl resin.
Depending on the technical characteristics of a particular type of polymer adhesive is determined by its scope.
Consider the main types.
- Indoor mixtures. Used for cladding various surfaces.
- Glues for external works. This group includes compounds that are highly resistant to environmental influences and low temperatures. For outdoor work fit only waterproof mixture.
- Universal mixes. This composition is suitable for bonding most types of materials and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Mounting solution. Differs in high operational characteristics. With this glue, even massive products can be glued to various surfaces.
- Glue "Liquid Nails". The composition is characterized by low consumption and fast drying. Quickly and reliably holds together a variety of materials.
- Mix "Cold welding". It is a transparent gel-like mass. The peculiarity of this modification lies in the fact that using such a tool you can accurately and imperceptibly connect the broken pieces of the object with its base.
Scope of application
Polymer-based glue can be used both for minor construction works and for full repair. A wide range of such mixtures will allow you to choose the appropriate modification for any task.
The advantages of polymer-based glue are known to many car owners. Some modifications of the mixtures do an excellent job with car glass repairs. A clear solution forms an imperceptible compound when frozen. A small layer of glue in this case will have the same refractive indices of light as glass. This allows you to perfectly mask the cracks on the surface.
For internal work most often used water-soluble group of polymeric compounds. Such mixtures are less toxic.
Indoors, polymer glue is used for the following purposes:
- installation of floorboard;
- lining various surfaces with tiles (epoxy-based mixtures are excellent for tiles);
- fastening of plasterboard sheets;
- minor repairs of various household items and furniture;
- the creation and fastening of decorative elements;
- ceiling mount.
Polymer-based mixtures also do well with the exterior of buildings. Construction adhesive can fix even large items. The mixture "Liquid nails" copes with the fastening of materials such as plastic, metals, wood, drywall, ceramic tile.
For roofing work they produce a special bitumen-polymer adhesive mixture. Glue is a pasty mass of black. This composition is highly resistant to weathering and elasticity.
Most modern manufacturers of building mixtures produce a line of polymeric adhesives. Products of different companies differ in technical characteristics and quality.
When studying the characteristics of a product, it should be remembered that high-quality polymer glue should have the following qualities:
- high elasticity;
- good electrical and thermal conductivity;
- resistance to fire;
- a high degree of adhesion (adhesion) and the ability to firmly fasten various surfaces together.
Before you choose the appropriate type of solution based on polymers, it is recommended to get acquainted with the most well-known manufacturers and study the reviews on their products.
Polish company Dragon specializes in the production of construction chemicals and adhesive mixtures. This company has been supplying high quality products to the construction market since 1972.
Dragon's universal polymer-based glue is very popular in the Russian market. This composition can be used for both internal and external decoration. The mixture is resistant to water and temperature extremes. The time for complete setting of bonded surfaces is thirty minutes.
Customer reviews about this product in most cases extremely positive.
Consumers highlight the following benefits of Dragon glue:
- short drying time;
- high quality;
- effective bonding of various materials;
- affordable price.
The disadvantages include a weak but unpleasant smell of the mixture.
The company "Hercules-Siberia" specializes in the manufacture of dry mixes for construction work. In the manufacture of products, the most advanced foreign technologies and high-quality raw materials are used.
The company produces two versions of polymer-based glue:
Both types of mixtures are produced in a dry form. The maximum volume of the bag with a free-flowing mixture is 25 kg. The universal composition can be used not only to fasten various surfaces, but also to eliminate minor irregularities of walls and floors. Modification superpolymer is great for lining various surfaces of tile. It can be used to finish heated floors.
Products manufactured under the Axton brand are made for the Leroy Merlin chain of stores. The glue mix Axton on a polymeric basis has the highest operational characteristics. Such mixtures are used in the manufacture of metal structures, finishing and installation work, as well as for sealing joints.
Bostik is one of the world leaders in the production of adhesive mixtures. The company produces compositions designed for both domestic needs and for the field of professional construction. All Bostik products comply with international quality standards.
Polylex polymer glue from the manufacturer Bostik has a high degree of adhesion. The mixture can be used to bond materials such as ceramic tiles,paper, various types of fabrics, wood-layered plate, linoleum, plastic.
Recommendations for application
It is necessary to apply glue on a polymeric basis only on well cleared and fat-free surface. Otherwise, the consumption of glue may increase significantly, and there will also be no guarantee of reliable and high-quality bonding of materials. If the surface to be treated is operated in high humidity conditions, then if possible it should be primed.
The adhesive mixture is distributed over the prepared dry base. It is important to ensure that the glue is applied evenly and in a small layer, thus avoiding the formation of smudges. Fastened parts of products or materials tightly pressed to each other and hold for the time indicated on the packaging of the composition.
Some modifications of the polymer adhesive are composed of toxic substances. It is necessary to work with such material in a well-ventilated area. It is recommended to wear gloves on your hands and protect your respiratory tract with a respirator.
Review High Tack POINT adhesive in the video below.