Rubber glue: properties and application
Rubber glue is quite common in our lives. Before buying it, you need to get acquainted with the main types of these popular compositions, as well as with their intended purpose, in order for this acquisition to be really useful. For high-quality bonding of rubber products today you can find quite a lot of different materials, their special features affect the characteristics of the application, so you should not think that any kind of glue of this kind can be universal.
What it is
Rubber glue is a natural rubber that dissolves in a special composition. This composition has excellent elasticity after it begins to harden, because it is chosen for bonding different materials.Before you buy such a product, you need to understand what it is, who carries out its production, what product is in composition and where it is used more often.
Previously, all products under the name "rubber glue" GOST divided into 2 groups by the amount of dry residue: group A and group B. There is also a classification of products by type of rubber used.
After numerous studies, it was proved that the best compound for rubber is produced from rubber. It should contain:
- crosslinking agent;
- additive with vulcanizing properties;
- common solvent.
This is the minimum set of components that helps to produce glue for excellent bonding of rubber surfaces with the same rubber. But the elastic connection is more in demand for industrial purposes, therefore, the usual composition began to be supplemented with various components to improve the performance properties of such a connection.
Often rubber adhesive is chosen for bonding elastic parts, and all because the composition after it hardens, in appearance and other properties, in fact, is similar to rubber. But When you buy this glue, you need to choose exactly this, so that in its composite characteristics it looks like the parts to be joined. The product may include not only natural rubber, but also its synthetic analogue. As the solvent can be used ethyl acetate or other components.
The compositions of all manufacturers are different, because the quality of adhesive substances of different brands can vary significantly from each other. Rubber adhesive is opaque and transparent - it depends on the area of use and composition.
The main feature of this glue is the possibility of its combination with paper, textiles, various types of glass, wood, metal and many other surfaces. It can often be seen in the manufacture of furniture, shoes and automaking. Also this kind of product is often bought for home needs.
Cons of modern adhesive compositions for rubber:
- ugly-looking seam;
- unpleasant smell;
- Use only in open rooms that are quickly ventilated;
- it is difficult to apply, as it can stick to everything (and to the hands too), it can drip;
- may cause burns if applied carelessly, and in no case should it be allowed to get into the eyes;
- brush for applying the composition after application can not be washed.
Technical characteristics of different types of similar glue differ significantly from each other. It even dries rubber glue from different manufacturers in different ways - instantly or over several hours.
The distribution of adhesives by type is carried out according to two distinctive features: by the volume of dry residue and by the composition of the rubber itself. According to GOST, the amount of dry residue can be from 6-8% to 8-12%. Glue, if it will be from 6 to 8% of the dry residue, is known as grade A (more elastic composition), and when the indicator is from 8 to 12%, then it is glue released under the brand B.
The most used classification is based on the characteristics of the rubber in it.
Such glue may well not be suitable for certain areas of industry, and therefore separate compositions were created, the basis of which are synthetic components. Glue from the real rubber can not resist the aggressive action on him of all kinds of environments and elevated temperature regimes.
The most common subspecies of rubber products include:
- Compositions from natural rubber. The composition of such a substance is sulfur. This adhesive is chosen for bonding parts of cardboard, leather or fabric. Suitable for carpet.
- Chloroprene composition. For the implementation of vulcanization in it include divalent metal oxides. The composition of the connective qualities is very good, because it is chosen for gluing metal and other elements.
- Glue with the inclusion of nitrile butadiene rubber. Sulfur also acts as a vulcanizing element here, but only with the addition of thiurams. This adhesive is waterproof and is chosen for various popular materials.
- Silicone adhesive form. Its hardening occurs only under the influence of tetrabutoxylan. It is rarely used, as it can glue together only homogeneous rubber.
- Styrene butadiene glue. It has a weak ability to glue and therefore is bought only for production, for example, for the production of adhesive tape. Other artificial rubbers may also be the basis of this type of glue, but their use is limited.
Adhesives for rubber are divided according to their intended purpose: for industrial and domestic use (for gluing various coatings at home).Industrial glue is used in production, it is produced in huge volumes, and it is applied to the coating with the help of special tools.
These compounds are glue 88, 88 N and 88 CA. They are found in the construction industry - when installing various finishing surfaces, in the automotive field - for gluing rubber products, when producing furniture and any footwear. This product is suitable for gluing rubber and gluing it with metals, paper, wood.
Quick-drying all-purpose adhesive "Moment-1." It is better to choose it for gluing rubber, wood, metals, leather and felt, plastics and glass, as well as ceramics. This high-strength composition is very toxic and quite flammable, because it can be used only in air or in a room that is ventilated, while keeping the composition away from open flame.
It is applied with the thinnest layer on two completely dry elements, which are first of all cleaned and degreased, then they are held for about 15-20 minutes until completely dry. After that, they strongly press both surfaces to each other for only 10-15 seconds.
Also, you can often find this kind of rubber glue,as liquid rubber is a transparent glue-paste from polyurethane for repair work, protection of surfaces and their high-quality waterproofing. This composition is characterized by resistance to wear, flexibility, it completely fills the existing gaps, is not afraid of changing temperatures.
It is also worth mentioning the rubber adhesive sealant - it is a high-strength adhesive that is needed for high-quality repair of seals in doors and windows. It hardens very quickly, perfectly glues porous and non-porous materials.
Famous brands and reviews
- Clay 88 N. This compound is good and permanently glues rubber materials with metals. When it is dried, it is lightly diluted with benzene to the state of ordinary sour cream, while the glue itself should not drip from the brush or be pulled out with a thread behind it. They grease the rubber (or other material) and dry for about 3-5 minutes, after which the second layer is applied on the rubber and the first layer on the metal. Two elements need to be dried for 5-6 minutes. Then both parts are superimposed one on the other - so they are dried for about a day, placing it under a good press.
- Rubber glue is 5 or 7% rubber dissolved in gasoline without impurities.Nowadays, it is often replaced with compounds from artificial rubber. The most popular type of such adhesives – 88 SA. This is a colloidal solution of rubber and resin that is mixed with nefras and ethyl acetate. It is chosen to glue rubber and concrete surfaces, as well as glass and wood. This composition is well suited for laying flooring on cement or wood, bonding foam and foam rubber between them. You can use this glue to work with fabrics and leather, to quickly repair any pair of shoes. Adhesive 88 SA is waterproof, it does not turn into a toxic compound when exposed to air, can withstand temperatures from -500 to +700 degrees.
- Another composition - all known glue 4508. He is not afraid of water, gives the seams elasticity, has a high stickiness. This composition can be found in the production of textiles, the production of various rubber products, special protection suits, rubberized fabrics. High elasticity allows it to become popular when gluing PVC boats, leather haberdashery, suits for fishermen.
- Excellent reviews has a composition Loctitewhich works very fast.Using it, in 5-7 minutes you can repair the boat in difficult conditions. This composition has a minus - instant bonding, which will differ in uneven connection throughout the area.
- Clay "Radical". Many fishermen are advised to always carry with them this elastic adhesive product. It can withstand fairly high pressure and substantial load. "Radical" is not afraid of negative temperatures, works perfectly in both fresh and salt water. This glue is considered indispensable for quick repair of rubber boats.
- Gum glue. This compound is made from natural rubber. It is waterproof and therefore it can be used for gluing various rubber and inflatable products: boats, car and bicycle cameras, leather haberdashery.
Selection and application
To truly acquire the best adhesive compound for rubber, it is worth answering the whole question: where exactly it will be used.
Before purchasing the composition, you should also answer other questions that will help to identify certain features of the properties of the selected adhesive:
- Will the glued product be heated or cooled? A variety of compounds can withstand different temperatures.If you plan to use glue in difficult conditions, you need to make sure that it is a composition that is not afraid of these conditions.
- Can the product during operation be exposed to frequent shocks, any vibration, serious deformation? Almost any professional rubber adhesive is resistant to mechanical impact. But there are varieties that have increased resistance to the efforts of the gap. They can be used for gluing door seals or for vacuum rubber.
- What seams need to be applied to the glued product? For thin types of seams, liquid adhesives are selected, for thicker ones - with a thicker texture.
- What kind of elements need to glue? To choose the right glue, is to get acquainted with the scope of its use. For example, if it is necessary to glue flooring with rubber glue.
- Will the compound come into contact with food? Some types of adhesives are very poisonous. Therefore, to restore the bowl and plates you need to buy the safest composition.
All characteristics of the adhesive can be found in its instructions for use.It is advisable to ask the seller for advice on the presence of the adhesives that he realizes.
Before gluing, the surface is degreased and cleaned of dirt. For this you can use acetone, which will contribute not only to good cleansing, but also make a softer structure of rubber. Different contaminants can contribute to the reduction of the bonding itself and reduce the resistance of the composition, and then the parts will need to be glued again after some time.
Gluing is best done over several stages. Here a primer layer is useful, which will help the glue to show the high-quality result.
To improve the quality of bonding it is better to take a technical dryer - when using it, the compound heats up well (up to 60 degrees). But you can not bring glue to heat to an open flame.
In order to get excellent results when using adhesives for rubber, it is extremely important to observe a special technology when gluing - it is usually indicated on the very can of glue or its tube.
It is imperative, first of all, to make a high-quality surface preparation before the pasting process.Rubber may be contaminated with residues of all kinds of materials, dust or oils that have been in direct contact with it. These types of contaminants can be removed by using special formulations-cleaners or special types of solvents. If the rubber surface was mechanically cleaned prior to bonding with abrasives, then all residual dust should be removed with cleaners or any dirt accumulated on the surface should be removed.
Adhesive application technology requires proper instructions to achieve the best result. Therefore, it is worth knowing that there are two types of gluing: hot and cold.
In the first method, bonding is carried out at a temperature of from 70 to 160 degrees, and the duration of the process can take 5-10 minutes. The second option requires that bonding was carried out at normal room temperature, but the curing period will increase with up to 2-3 tens of hours.
It is necessary to prepare well glued surfaces to get a strong connection as a result. Before degreasing rubber in the process of gluing it is necessary to treat it with fine sandpaper - this will increase the contact area.
For high-quality degreasing, you can take some kind of solvent that evaporates easily, for example, ordinary acetone or even gasoline.
A number of compounds may thicken and then they can be diluted. There is no universal type of diluent in nature. And although all rubbers can easily be dissolved in hydrocarbon components, for each of them you need to choose your own type of diluent.
For nitrile-butadiene rubber choose nefras or ethyl acetate. Before you dilute 88 glue, you need to thoroughly heat it on the steam bath to 40-45 degrees. This preparation will help avoid lumps.
How to increase the effectiveness of the adhesive, see the following video.