Subtleties laying mosaic
Nowadays, mosaic technique is used to decorate houses to make them more original. Mosaic can be used both indoors and outdoors. Therefore, it is very important to know the subtleties of mosaic installation.
Mosaic decorated the building for thousands of years. For example, glass was used in mosaics as far back as 2500 BC, but glass tiles were not represented until the third century BC, when Byzantine artists created opaque glass tiles, called smalti, and used them to decorate walls, ceilings, and storage facades. churches and public buildings.Only very rich people could afford to use the material for private residences.
This continued until the Victorian era, when glass tiles appeared in mass production, which were much cheaper to manufacture and therefore became available to middle-class homes. In the 1920's Art Deco style, the pigmented structural glass mosaic (the most famous brand, Vitrolite) gave a sleek modern look to the walls in shop windows, train stations and much more.
Today, the mosaic consists of many shapes, sizes, colors and can be used in almost any room in the house. It is most often made from materials resistant to high humidity and temperature changes. High wear resistance allows you to use mosaic decor in various places. Mosaic tiles look like lining: high strength is inherent in it. Aesthetic appearance of the product is maintained for a long time.
Mosaic tiles can be cut into pieces of desired length and width - this makes it easier to lay in difficult to reach places. A large assortment of mosaics allows you to create any decorative panel, an interesting pattern.
There are three main types of mosaics: glass, ceramic, stone. Each species has its own characteristics and production technology, so it is important to get acquainted with them in more detail.
- Glass mosaic. It adds extravagant color and shine to the interior, but will only be visible on the substrate. Mosaic is also made of frosted glass. Such a mosaic is a flatter, more opaque alternative to clear glass. Bubble glass is also popular in mosaic making. This option consists of small air bubbles in the glass, which adds visual interest in the interior. Glass mosaic can also look like a crystal. It is made of glass that resembles precious stones - best used as an accent on certain parts of the wall or floor.
- Ceramic mosaic. It is made of glass powder, pressed into the dies and heated until the particles merge. This expensive material is suitable for finishing any area of the house. The mosaic is covered with glossy glaze or remains dull. Laying ceramic mosaic allows you to get a relief non-slip surface. Ceramics are resistant to mechanical damage and abrasive detergents.
- Stone mosaic. This is a multi-layered, multi-colored mosaic made of pieces of quartz, marble chips, granite, slate or travertine. This material is very durable, so it is used not only for the walls, but also for the floor. Stone mosaic has a natural aesthetics, gives the room a special style. There is also a stone mosaic made under the tree. The wooden tile perfectly will be suitable for decoration of external designs.
Which one to choose?
The choice of mosaic depends on its location.
- The most popular home use of mosaics is in bathrooms and kitchens. But the material is not limited to the shower or apron in the kitchen.
- The sides and bottoms of the ladder pools may include stunning, sophisticated glass mosaic designs. This option adds shine to the light, it reflects the light and you get a beautiful view of the water, if you look at it from a small height. This is the main reason for the use of glass mosaics in the shower, kitchens, pools and spa.
- It is ideal for water boards, such as fountains, where glass tiles may appear delicate, almost ethereal.
- Glass mosaics can also decorate outdoor benches and stand-alone art installations.
For decorating surfaces, you can use a mosaic in combination with ceramics and metal, because it gives a matte, opaque surface.
There are even mosaic wallpaper: small tiles assembled into modules that facilitate repetition of patterns on the walls. Such tiles can be applied to both flat and curved surfaces, so they are used instead of wallpaper.
There are mosaic floor mats: tiny, perfectly shaped handmade glass tiles attached to a flexible surface that create classic models of carpets, such as varieties of vines and leaves. The strength of the surface means that the rugs can be placed in the entrances and other areas with high traffic, or they can also be hung on the wall as tapestries.
Many experts recommend the use of experienced professionals for laying mosaics, but you can do it yourself. You must first make a "dry" layout of the mosaic and the marking of each piece.This is necessary to accurately locate the elements and ensure color consistency.
Having laid out the intended pattern on the surface, it is worth checking that the pieces of the tile are fixed with adhesive tape and numbered - this will facilitate the further assembly of the ornament.
After the layout is created a sketch.
When designing a mosaic tile, it is necessary to take into account some nuances.
- It is advisable to place the pattern from the most illuminated area or from the center of the image. Mosaic pieces should be placed at the edges or in the inner corners, in inconspicuous parts.
- If there are external corners, the layout of the image begins with them. The priority element to get started is any decorative element of the room: panel, mirror, niche.
- After laying, numbering and creating a detailed sketch, the mosaic sheets should be carefully folded back into the boxes. On the wall or on the floor, it is necessary to mark the borders of the mosaic pattern; a laser line is useful for this purpose.
You must prepare the following tools:
- moisture resistant primer with antifungal effect;
- adhesive composition;
- grouting device;
- rubber spatula for leveling and pressing plates;
- notched trowel;
- roller for surface casting;
- construction mixer for uniform glue mixing;
- glue tray.
Glue should be mixed in accordance with the following rules, only so the mosaic tiles will last a long time:
- water is poured into a container on a tray and dry mix is added;
- the solution is mixed twice with an interval of 60 seconds;
- the duration of the first mixing should be 5 minutes.
How to put your own hands?
Installation of a mosaic is a simple but painstaking exercise, which is usually done by masters, but you can try and put the small tiles on your own.
The sequence of laying mosaic tiles is as follows:
- Toothed spatulas should be located on the prepared surface for applying the glue solution. In due time it is necessary to cover the area that can be polished for half an hour;
- It is necessary to apply a mosaic sheet and press lightly. For even distribution of the adhesive surface can be rolled using a roller. It is important to ensure that the distance between the squares remains unchanged and the glue does not penetrate into the front of the mosaic.To keep the gaps between elements on the same level, you need to use crosses;
- you need to carefully remove the film and leave the glue to dry for one or two days. Excess adhesive solution should be removed after half an hour after fixing the mosaic, because it will be difficult to do this later.
The load on the tile is allowed only after the final drying and fixing the mosaic. The procedure for grouting is as follows:
- you need to prepare a spatula, following the instructions on the package;
- for ease of cleaning the tiles from traces of grouting, the surface must first be treated with protective sprays. After 20-30 minutes, you can begin to wipe the seams.
- on the spatula should be applied solution and wide movements, moving diagonally, fill the seams. The spatula should be lightly pressed so that the solution is slightly below the mosaic level;
- the solution should be slightly moistened so that it does not get wet in the water and does not crack. You can use a wet sponge or a small spray that is watered;
- after 20 minutes, when the solution hardens slightly, remove the excess mixture, letting the coating pass with a damp solid sponge.Residues of baked cement dust can be removed with a 5% solution of sulfuric acid;
- you need to rinse the mosaic with clean water immediately after grinding.
Important! If the tile is used to create a kitchen apron, then the bottom edge of the apron should be noted on the level. That he will be decisive in the smooth arrangement of the mosaic. It is necessary to fasten a profile with dimensions of 27x28 cm to the wall. The profile acts as a support. Thanks to its presence, the tile will not crawl.
To learn how to properly build a mosaic, see the following video.
Tips and tricks
Mosaic variants offer a unique look and unsurpassed brilliance compared to other materials for floors, walls and countertops. Transparent tiles can add an unusual depth effect on a surface that other materials cannot achieve. Mosaic is also resistant to stains, mold and allergens. They are easy to wipe and not painted.
You need to understand that the glossy surface of the mosaic will leave fingerprints. Traces on such surfaces appear more clearly than on dull surfaces, so frequent maintenance may be required to maintain a smooth shine. There are some mosaic options that will scratch over time.
In addition, if you consider a tile for a bathroom or a floor for a shower, you should bear in mind that the mosaic can be slippery and feel cooler under your feet., unlike ordinary porcelain or ceramic tiles. Of course, using the mosaic on the floor makes it easier to create a slope, and a special solution between smaller pieces gives it some grip. But depending on how smooth and polished the surface is, it can be slippery.
The use of special sealant after installation is one of the solutions to this problem. It is recommended to use glass tile for walls and limit its use on floors to accents and design borders.
The mosaic can be made from 100% recycled post-consumer glass or from "post-industrial" glass: that is, it is broken pieces from the production of other glass products. The use of recycled material eliminates the energy costs of producing completely new materials. In addition, less energy is typically used to re-mold glass than making glass slabs from scratch.Therefore, the mosaic is well tolerated by people with chemical sensitivity.
To get the best environmental result, you should buy a 100% recycled mosaic. You can search for a local supplier who sells broken tiles.
Mosaic flooring in the bathroom must be periodically treated with special fungicidal agents. This must be done if the ventilation does not cope with its task. For cleaning, it is advisable to choose gel-like detergents without abrasive components. Contaminated areas of the panel can be cleaned with a soft sponge dipped in soapy water. At the end, rinse with water and wipe dry.
The surface of the mosaic cannot be rubbed with oily substances, with phosphoric acid and wax.
With the help of a mosaic you can give a second life to old things. Square or rectangular tables are the easiest to decorate mosaic tiles. Although mosaics or other small tiles can be used on a round surface with a smooth surface.
If an individual design is planned, you first need to lay out the tile in order to know exactly how it will look.For a table to be used outside, more glue should be applied to the center so that it is slightly higher than the sides.
Applying tiles around the edges of the mirror will create an attractive and unique frame. If this is a mirror in the bathroom, you can use the same color scheme as the tile in the shower. There are several ways to decorate a mirror. It is necessary to apply the tiles directly to the surface, draw a border around the mirror and hang the mirror. To glue the tiles directly into the mirror, you should use a 100 percent silicone sealant. But you can see the reverse side of the tiles reflected in the mirror, so it is better to use transparent sealant and tiles with a dark side.
If the tile is located around the mirror, apply the mortar directly on the tile and attach it to the wall. Thus, there will be no excess glue on the walls, which will be difficult to clean later.
Mosaic tiles are one of the most popular and widely used tiles on the market. It is used to give a beautiful and original look to homes.
To create solid interiors for your home, you can cover half or whole walls with these slabs. Finding a mosaic that suits your taste will be an easy task.If you want to buy a tile in the wall, mosaic tiles are great for creating accents in the room. It is necessary to install the mosaic inserts in the squares along the painted wall or insert them into the working surface in the kitchen.
Mosaic tiles can also be used to create a decorative detail inside a frame on any wall or to frame a mirror or window. Whichever style you choose, you can try to create a border of mosaic tiles around the edge of the floor. When the boundary is chosen, you should carefully consider the shape of the space and make sure that the area is divided without looking at it.
Mosaic will really help create beautiful floors. Whether it’s in the bathroom, in the living room or in the backyard, you can use the right tiles to create attractive floors and walkways.
Mosaic tiles can be used in the shower area to give it a luxurious look and charming appeal. When the place looks beautiful, the shower automatically becomes more pleasant. In the bathroom, for example, mosaic tiles can be used to create an attractive wall decor. More complex images and designs can also be created in the bathroom.Of course, if you want to create a cohesive interior design, you can cover the entire wall with mosaics.
Splash splashes are practical elements in a room where there is a lot of water or steam, such as a bathroom or kitchen. Their main function is to prevent water from damaging the wall, but this does not mean that they cannot be beautiful. It is recommended that mosaic tiles in one color block be used to contrast or complement the color scheme in the rest of the room.
In addition, you should choose a bold template to create a decorative point of interest. Mosaic tiled parts should not be just rectangular; you need to be creative and create a curved or reverse surge that will draw attention to other features in the room.
The kitchen is considered the heart of the house. You can use mosaic tiles on the tabletop or create a backsplash design. These tiles will surely add a new charm to the kitchen. In the kitchen, mosaic is the focal point of the entire decor. That is why mosaic tiles are a great option. You can use them to create something complex.
Another option is to use mosaic tiles as purely decorative elements and create interesting designs, the mosaic can also be cut, which will give it an interesting look. Mosaic, located around the windows, can also be used to decorate the key places of the kitchen. If the kitchen is quite spacious to accommodate the island, then it is possible to also include mosaic tiles in your design. In this case, you can not be afraid of mosaic chips.
To make the patio more interesting and visually appealing, you can surround yourself with bright colors and patterns. It is worth putting a mosaic on the floor. The use of pebbles or tiles is recommended. For a beach-style design, try a different mosaic. Use large stones or cobblestones and allow the grass to grow through them. It is necessary to arrange them in a spiral shape around the fireplace in order to imitate the sink. This option is suitable for warm weather.
The mosaic path from the broken tile version perfectly complements the modern house. It is also interesting to compare materials and the interaction of wood and stone. You can stack them in turn. The thickness of the mosaic may be different. Although it is rather unusual, you can also use a mosaic on the fence to make it more interesting.
It is possible to lay out a mosaic only on concrete fences with a smooth surface.
The modern patio has a very relaxed and relaxed design, as well as a chic view. The seats are certainly unusual, with a white mosaic with gold accents on the grid.. This is a great idea to make a mosaic for a frequent house. Plants will always make the house beautiful, but if you decide to create planters from a mosaic, the beauty of the house is quadrupled.
If you want to repair your house or build a new one, you should think about using mosaic tiles to add beauty and elegance to the house. This will help create a decor that will satisfy the wishes of the owner.