Features tiles "hog" for the bathroom
When choosing finishing materials for the bathroom should pay attention to their properties, as they must have certain features, such as moisture resistance, resistance to temperature extremes and processing household chemicals. In addition, the lining should have an attractive appearance. Optimal for the bathroom is a ceramic tile, which has a large number of subspecies, one of which is a “hog”. In the 1920s, such a model was used for cladding facades of houses and metro stations, but nowadays it is also used in home interiors.
What it is?
This original type of tile received such an original name due to the presence of two holes on the front side, which are covered with blanched glaze.This finish looks similar to the boar Piglet, hence the name "hog." The rectangular shape of the material allows it to be used as an imitation of a brick wall. The slightly bevelled face chamfer visually increases the volume of the tile, adding texture. There are models without end edges, then the texture of the surface gives a contrast grout.
Despite the wide choice of size range of tiles, the main ones are 7.5x15 cm, 10x20 cm and 15x30 cm, matte and semi-matte models. Parts with imitation of wood, glass, marble, natural stone are in great demand.
Features and benefits
Tile "hog" has a number of undeniable advantages that distinguish it from other types of finishes.
- First of all, it is the increased moisture resistance and preservation of the basic properties and invariable appearance at any temperature drops.
- Such tiles, as a rule, were made from environmentally friendly raw materials.
- These finishing materials are very easy to maintain. They are distinguished by resistance to aggressive chemicals contained in bathroom cleaners.
- This fork is very reliable and has a long service life.
- "Hog" is the best solution for wall cladding with an uneven or rough base.
- The tile has a wide color palette, which allows you to "roam" the designer's imagination during the design of the room. In addition, it is perfectly combined with other types of finishing materials.
With this view, you can beat some features of the bathroom. For example, choosing a glossy surface and a light tone, it is possible to visually enlarge the space, and correctly arranging the colors - to give the interior an original look. A brick wall will always look modern and interesting.
But besides the advantages, the “hog” has one important drawback - it is rather difficult to lay it, so you have to call a professional master for the cladding in order not to spoil the materials, wasting precious time.
In the interior of the bathroom
With these samples, the room is given a more recent look. As a rule, pastel colors are used for wall cladding, but there are also lovers of bright colors.The use of this type of finishing materials is possible for three stylistic directions: Art Deco, Loft and Scandinavia. Consider each of the styles separately.
One of the main characteristics of this style is the use of black and white tones in the interior. Rarely and gray. The contrast of colors creates the edging of the room and adds style to the geometry.
The bathroom in this style is only partially tiled., the rest of the space is painted with waterproof paint. Mosaic ceramic tiles are often used to decorate the floor. An important element will be a large mirror with two-way lighting.
In this stylistic direction, “hog” is used to give more sharp and rough forms. As a rule, light-colored brick tiles are combined with dark large slabs, and the seams between them are treated with a multi-colored grout. When choosing a loft style, decorate the bathroom with accessories and figurines made of wood, glass or metal. Be sure to have multiple sources of light.
The peculiarity of this direction is the combination of contrasting types of finishes,combinations of materials with a variety of textures. The best option to achieve the goals in this case is the tile "hog". And it is possible to revet the wall with brickwork only in the lower part, and the upper one can be added with wallpaper. In this style should follow brick print plates.
With this type of finishing materials, you can make the following options for lining.
- Complete In this case, tiles adorn all the walls completely. Usually choose lighter shades. This option is perfect for high-tech styles and minimalism.
- Partial. This option involves the display of "pig" only around the bath, and the rest of the room is painted with dark or contrasting paint.
- Half. Brick walls are revetted on the wall from the floor to the middle, and waterproof paint or wallpaper is applied on the rest.
How to lay?
Before starting the installation, prepare the base by thoroughly cleaning old layers of paint or plaster. After that, you need to prime and wall the wall, then let it dry. When all materials applied to the surface are completely hardened, begins the process of laying tile, during which it is recommended to adhere to some features.
- Applying tile adhesive should be made both on the material and on the surface.
- Dilute the mixture should be strictly according to the instructions.
- For the location of the plates in the corner, it is recommended to pre-file the side at an angle of 45 degrees.
- In accordance with the resulting design, you can choose the seam width, which can be 2-5 mm.
- Grout is better to take epoxy, as it consists of special substances that prevent the entry of dirt and darkening of the seams. However, this mixture has one drawback - it hardens very quickly, so all the excess need to be cleaned instantly so that the tiles do not have stains.
- Lay the finishing materials should be very careful, since it depends on this general view of the bathroom.
Tips for choosing
One of the main points when choosing a tile is the size of the bathroom. Most of these premises in our country have a small area, so the finishing material should be selected with special care, because the wrong color or texture can visually reduce it even more.For such premises, you should choose a medium-sized tile, since a large one looks good only in large areas.
Vertical stacking will allow you to stretch the space in length, and horizontal - in width. A small cladding area can be decorated with diagonal masonry.
The bright colors of the tile also visually increase the room. You can beautifully put together several pastel shades, thereby obtaining an attractive result. Some designers prefer to make plain walls with bright accents in the form of mosaic drawings or figurines. In this case, the same rule applies: the larger the room, the larger the drawing can be (and vice versa).
The glossy look of the hog also visually increases the space, unlike the matte one. But at the same time, matte and semi-matt types look more expensive and worthy.
With the proliferation of loft and high-tech styles in the interior, the “pig” tile has also gained immense popularity, so there are enough reviews about it. All buyers are extremely happy with their choice. Brickwork in the bathroom looks expensive and original, and with proper installation, you can competently hide the flaws of the room by visually increasing it.
The various palette allows to decorate the room in any color scale. Pleases many and durability tiles "hog." It is chosen because it serves for many years and does not lose its original appearance with proper care.
You will find out how to tile the hog tile in the next video.