Glass Tiles: Pros and Cons
In the modern field of construction uses a variety of materials with unique properties. One of the modern design solutions is the use of glass tiles for interior decoration. Today, manufacturers offer a variety of options from this material, which will fit into different styles of the interior. Compared to many types of tiles, glass products have many features that are worth exploring in more detail.
For a start it is worth saying that this material is somewhat different from standard ceramic tiles,which we are used to apply to the walls in the rooms. The main feature of glass products is an attractive and at the same time unusual appearance.
Another distinctive feature of this material is practicality. Often, glass tiles are used for wall decoration in the kitchen. From such a surface it is much easier to remove various contaminants than from ceramic tiles.
This is due to the fact that there are no pores in glass products. For this reason, unpleasant odors are not absorbed into its base, and pollution does not accumulate on the surface.
Comparing glass tiles with other types of materials used for wall cladding in rooms, I can safely say that it has many significant advantages:
- The first plus of this option is the ability to reflect light. For this reason, glass tiles are often used to visually expand the space in a small room. Often, the material is used for the design of bathrooms with low ceilings. With this solution, the height of the walls is visually increased.The room does not seem so small, everything in it looks harmonious and compact at the same time.
- Another advantage of glass tile is its high resistance to moisture. This is an important point in case you decide to use this facing material to decorate the walls in the kitchen or bathroom. Even with long-term operation, the tile does not lose its original properties and appearance.
- In addition, the glass surface is perfectly amenable to cleaning with various household tools. When using detergent compositions glass is not destroyed, it does not remain scratches or other defects. If you are afraid of such problems, you can choose a tool specifically designed for glass surfaces.
- Another plus of the tile is that it retains its color for quite a long period. This point concerns not only neutral transparent materials, but also colored surfaces. Often, to improve the interior used colored tiles. It favorably complements the design, making it more interesting and “alive”.
- Do not forget about the decorative qualities of the mother.Most often, glass tiles are specially used in the interior in order to provide a peculiar “luxury” effect.
Like any cladding material, glass tile has certain disadvantages, which are worth familiarizing even before purchasing the material.
The main disadvantage is the fragility of the glass. Facing material has a weak resistance to strong mechanical stress. As for the weak blows, they can leave on the tile small scratches and even chips.
To avoid such problems, experts recommend paying special attention to the correct installation technology. A solid and high-quality base will help prevent damage.
Today there are several main types of glass tiles. Each of the options has its own individual properties, which are worth a closer look.
- The enameled tile. In the production process of cladding products, the firing method is applied. The glass undergoes long-term and thorough processing, after which it is literally baked under the influence of high temperatures.During processing, the material is supplemented with enamel, and all this is fused into a homogeneous mass.
- Marblit. A feature of this type is the use of frosted glass. Also used for the manufacture of rolled painted base. The tile has a smooth or relief texture from the front and small irregularities from the rear. This ensures good adhesion to the surface during installation.
- Stemalit. For the manufacture of these products used method of hardening. This method is somewhat similar to roasting, but the difference is that after sintering the material is treated with cold. Due to this tile acquires high performance.
- Glass ceramic tiles. This material is highly resistant to moisture and durability. The advantage of the tile is a wide range of colors.
- Penodecor is one of the unique species. The peculiarity of this tile is that a special colored film resembling glass is used for its production. Unlike previous versions, this species is highly resistant to low temperatures.
How to choose?
When choosing a glass tile for wall decoration, the first thing to do is to take into account the performance of the material. For example, if you buy this facing option for kitchen or bathroom design, you should ask about the degree of resistance of products to moisture. From this directly depends on the durability of the material.
The next thing you should pay attention to is the manufacturer. Choose a quality and reliable material, best of all, represented by a well-known brand. In this case, you will be completely confident in the high technical properties of glass tiles.
An important point is the appearance of the material. The tile should harmoniously fit into the interior of the room, complementing it with its singularity. Particular attention should be paid to color material. Green, white or amber tiles will be a real decoration in any room.
Decide in advance on what purposes you will use the material. Often tile glass is used to design arches and partitions in the bathroom. Using the material, you can create a kind of apron on the kitchen wall, which will protect the surface from the ingress of fat and other contaminants.
How to make space?
There are many ways to arrange space in a room using glass tiles. In the bathroom, the material is used for wall and floor decoration. For such a room it is best to choose transparent or translucent surfaces that will create a peculiar atmosphere of lightness. A good choice would be a frosted glass tile.
Material in a coffee shade is harmoniously and stylishly combined with various accessories. Soft and unusually gentle tone decorate the room, help you relax in the bathroom after a hard day. The advantage of this tile is that it does not overload the space, and the area of the room visually increases. As for the use of material in the kitchen space, in this case there are many ways to use it. The most common option - the creation of an apron. Often, glass tiles are used to decorate walls and even ceilings.
For example, an apron on the wall, made in silver color, will help to complement the white modern kitchen. This option will subtly and favorably emphasize all the sophistication of the design.
Care Tips and Tips
To preserve the properties and the original appearance of the tile it is necessary to ensure proper maintenance of the material. Mostly glass options are “unpretentious” in this regard. But for cleaning surfaces, it is best to use products intended for this material. In this case, the pollution is removed from the surface much faster. In addition, there are no stains on the glass tile.
Particular attention should be paid to cleaning in the event that the facing material is used in the kitchen for the design of the working area. Fat, constant evaporation, moisture - all this in its own way affects the tile, gradually changing its original appearance for the worse.
Regular care will help prevent contamination. After cooking, it is recommended to wipe the apron with a damp cloth.
A sponge, warm water and special cleaning products will help to eliminate strong pollution.
But do not be zealous with cleaning, especially if it comes to white or pearl material. With improper care, the glass fades, stains appear on its surface.
In this video you will find a master class on gluing glass tiles.