Useful properties of an evergreen representative of the family of Mirtova - a giant eucalyptus were adopted by not only physicians and cosmetologists, but also manufacturers of sleeping accessories. With the development of nanotechnology, a new method of processing eucalyptus wood has appeared, which allows to obtain a soft, silky fiber with the preservation of porous plant structure. The material of the new generation, called lyocell (tensel) goes for sewing 100% natural bed linen and is used as a filler for pillows and blankets.
Eucalyptus blankets, possessing a whole range of attractive consumer qualities, made a serious competition to traditional cotton, wool, silk, exotic bamboo products.What caused the consumer hype around eucalyptus miracle blankets and whether their considerable cost is justified - let's see.
The authorship of the technology for manufacturing textile fiber Lyocell (Lyocell) belongs to the British. Today, the United States remains the main manufacturer of fabrics manufactured under the Tensel trademark (Tencel). Lyocell became the pride of its creators, which is quite reasonable, because the technology is completely waste-free, the cellulose product itself is 100% natural, and its production causes environmental damage 100 times less than waste cotton companies.
True, there are several "but." Companies that produce tensel are forced to pursue a tough pricing policy, setting a rather high price tag on their products. This fact is explained by the high cost of the raw material itself, the specifics of its processing and the need to give time to eucalyptus forests to recover.
As for the production of fibers, during a complex multi-step process:
- Eucalyptus wood is processed using a safe organic solvent to produce wood pulp;
- the resulting mass is forced through mesh filters to form filaments;
- the filaments are treated with an acid composition to give the final shape and dried.
The softness, tenderness and elasticity of eucalyptus fibers are often compared with natural silk. Therefore, the blankets of it are surprisingly comfortable and guarantee pleasant tactile sensations.
Advantages and disadvantages
Nature has generously shared its healing power with eucalyptus. The composition of the essential oil includes cineol - a substance with antiseptic properties, and the leaves contain tannins, which have anti-inflammatory action. Moreover, these useful qualities in wood processing are preserved through the use of organic solvents. The demand for blankets with eucalyptus filler is due to the performance characteristics transmitted by its “parent” - eucalyptus.
Positive sides of eucalyptus blankets:
- Smooth, which prevents the accumulation of surface dust.
- Very light - this is how the air component of the fibers manifests itself.
- Breathable - breathable properties of the filler contribute to the creation of an ideal microclimate throughout the night.
- Take care of the hygiene of the bed.Material with antiseptic and bactericidal properties prevents the spread of pathogenic bacteria, the formation of putrefactive fungi and populations of dust mites.
- Environmentally friendly and safe. Products differ in the complete absence of chemical activity, they do not electrify and are absolutely harmless to the body.
- Hypoallergenic - do not provoke the development of adverse reactions and irritation of the respiratory mucosa. This will certainly interest people with a predisposition to allergies and those who suffer from asthma.
- Possess deodorizing qualities, which eliminates the appearance of unpleasant odors.
- Provide an optimal level of humidity - porous fibers filled with air, easily absorb excess moisture, instantly evaporating it and not creating a greenhouse effect.
- Maintain an ideal temperature regardless of the season, thanks to good heat transfer. Cool in summer, warm well in winter.
- They have a therapeutic effect: essential oil vapors reduce cold symptoms, fight insomnia syndrome, migraine, relieve stress caused by stress, improve capillary blood circulation, toning the skin.
- Wear-resistant - the amazing strength of eucalyptus fibers guarantees a long product life of about 10 years.
- Resistant to deformation: vacuum storage does not threaten the loss of shape.
- Undemanding to maintain.
Disadvantages blankets their cost, which, as already mentioned, is quite high compared with similar products from the lines of bedding with natural fillings, is attributed. The second point is associated with eucalyptus aroma - quite strong, one might say obsessive, which is not always acceptable for people with excessive susceptibility to smells while taking medications or chronic diseases.
The assortment line of blankets with eucalyptus filler is represented by three categories of products that differ in density:
- Summer models: density indicator of 100 g / m2, they are designed for operation in high temperature conditions, therefore, it is much thinner and lighter than the winter options.
- Winter models: 300 g / m2 - an excellent alternative to wool blankets, where the filler often causes allergic reactions.
- All season: 200 g / m2 - the optimal solution, due to its versatility.Comfortable sleep is guaranteed throughout the year.
In this case, the focus is on the individual characteristics of the organism, its own habits and local climatic conditions.
Selecting the size of the blanket, guided by the dimensions of the bed and the number of users.
There are four common sizes of blankets, which are:
- single and a half;
- double with European standard size;
Different manufacturers may have slightly different product sizes. Although there are a number of standard sizes that are designed for standard bedding sets.
- One-and-a-half products are 140x205 cm, which is considered to be the most common size, corresponding to the classic Russian one-and-a-half size of the duvet cover 145x215 cm.
- Products on double beds, which are correspondingly wider - 175x205 cm, are designed for duvet covers 175x210 cm.
- Eurostandard 200x220 cm models - almost any manufacturer has such options, as well as bed linen of the appropriate size can be found in all known textile brands.
- Children's models 110x140 cm, and they are purchased not only for cots, but also in strollers for newborns.
One-and-a-half quilts are perfect for older children: the full compliance of the traditional sizes of baby bedding with one-and-a-half bedding sets for adults is very convenient and allows you to quickly choose a blanket for a teenager.
Criterias of choice
When planning to buy a eucalyptus blanket, in addition to size and density, pay attention to its composition.
It should be borne in mind that there are several types of products on sale:
- With a filler from 100% tensel - the most expensive models, due to their high cost.
- With artificial swan down stuffing - 100% polyester with quilted cover.
- Mixed: eucalyptus + cotton.
Any of the above options is able to provide a high level of comfort, but when it is the purchase of bedclothes from pure lyocell that is in priority, do not forget to inquire about the composition of the model being purchased.
It also happens that the manufacturer specifies eucalyptus fiber as a filler in the stated specifications, and in fact the plant fiber contains only the upper layer of bedding.
Although, when the composition contains from 20% to 50% of natural fibers, and the remaining components are synthetic and silicone additives, it simplifies the care of products.
In order to avoid misunderstandings, you should spend a couple of minutes studying the instructions and communicating with the seller-consultant to find out the differences between the analogues of different brands.
Serving blankets with eucalyptus filler is reduced to the usual machine wash as needed. Alternatively - dry cleaning services.
To ensure that the product lasts as long as possible, follow these guidelines:
- Washing is desirable in the delicate mode, the temperature should not exceed 40 °.
- Discard the use of aggressive detergents in favor of soft, gentle formulations.
- Delicate pressing in a typewriter is possible, but it is best to dry the product naturally in the open air. The washed blanket is laid out on a horizontal surface, and since the eucalyptus filling is hygroscopic, drying will not take much time.
- To maintain fluffiness, periodically air the blanket.
Recent studies of sleep doctors have proved a direct relationship between the quality of life and the quality of night rest.Considering that in a sleeping state we spend the third part of our conscious life, so programmed by nature, then the choice of bedding should be taken with a certain degree of seriousness.
The following video is about how eucalyptus fillers are made.