Knitted blankets for newborns
The birth of a baby is one of the significant events in life. It is important to provide him with maximum comfort, taking care of every detail in advance. Among the actual items of use of the baby today such an accessory as a crocheted blanket is popular. This thing is an alternative to blankets, flannelette blankets: knitted blankets for newborns are unique and have a number of features.
Features and benefits
A knitted blanket for a baby is a special object of life. It can be bought in a store or made independently by the expectant mother in anticipation of the birth of the child. Externally, such products are knitted fabrics of yarn with a soft texture. Their purchase or production is always associated with positive emotions, love and care for the baby.
Knitted blanket for a newborn is functional, it is:
- is a beautiful and special envelope, relevant when discharging from the hospital or walking in the fresh air;
- copes with the task of easy rug, covering the baby during sleep;
- replaces mattress toppers, varying the degree of stiffness and warmth of the surface of the bed;
- turns into a stylish bedspread, closing the bedding and giving the crib a neat look;
- can later become a child’s floor mat when the baby learns to crawl and master the first steps.
Combining in itself thermal and aesthetic characteristics, such a product is a transformer thing that changes its purpose depending on the case.
Of course, such blankets can not be called extras, although they are made not only at home, but also in production. The main difference between the two manufacturing methods is the presence of the textile side: the models of "home production" are performed without the participation of the fabric.
The features of the products are:
- careful choice of pattern: texture braids, plaits, cones, volumetric weaves, giving relief to the canvas are excluded;
- the use of yarn from thin threads (making up the pattern, they form a more uniform and soft surface);
- lack of additional decoration: decorations in the form of pompons, fringe, elements of soft toys are not allowed;
- small volume and weight (otherwise the product will put pressure on the fragile body);
- the lack of different patterns of yarn (the yarn of different thickness and composition looks ugly);
- the inadmissibility of the pattern of small strips or cells (provokes ripples and eye pain).
The advantages of a children's knitted blanket for a newborn include:
- making a model from hypoallergenic yarns of natural, artificial and mixed origin;
- availability of different sizes depending on preferences;
- multiple patterns, due to the special patterns, texture and volume of yarn;
- color solutions that allow models for babies of different sexes, taking into account the preferences of parents, the presence or absence of prints, contrasts;
- a different method of execution, using various devices (hook, knitting needles);
- uniqueness: such products are rarely repeated, and made independently do not have a duplicate;
- successful infusion into the style of the child's room, regardless of the chosen color or texture;
- a feeling of comfort and a relaxing atmosphere;
- the minimum set of raw materials due to the small size;
- different cost, which allows each mother to take care of buying a product or its manufacture, taking into account the available budget.
Knitted blanket-blanket for a newborn is not without flaws. The yarn should be chosen correctly, otherwise the product can prick the delicate skin of the baby. To eliminate the “imprinting” of the pattern into the skin, it is important not to forget to supplement the product with textiles with a smooth base.
In addition, there are other nuances. These include:
- a lot of time for manufacturing with an investment of patience, accuracy and perseverance;
- restriction of the pattern with the selection of the correct scheme;
- lack of variety of shapes: the product for a newborn is performed exclusively in the shape of a rectangle;
- short lifespan: babies grow very quickly, so using the product as a blanket for more than six months will not work.
Materials and color
The choice of threads depends on the predisposition of the baby to allergies, as well as the purpose of the blanket. If it is used as a light blanket, thin threads are used; in models with a warming effect, the thread is needed of medium thickness.It is important to take into account the peculiarities of the pile: it should not fall into the mouth.
The most popular types of raw materials for children's knitted blankets are cotton, wool, wool blend, velsoft, cashmere, acrylic.
Today, handicraft stores dazzle with a rich assortment of yarn marked “kids”. The line includes fibers with a hollow structure, “dry” heat and imitation of cotton. Threads can be twisted, with thickenings. When choosing it is worth considering the method of application of the finished product. For example, the model of pompon yarn is unique, good as a blanket, rug, but inappropriate as a mattress pad.
An important caveat: a product with a textile lining warms better, such blankets are warmer and more comfortable for the baby. Below them, the child spins less during sleep.
The colors of these blankets are varied. It is preferable to choose shades of pastel group: bright and saturated colors do not make you sleep. Today, the effect of color on the body is a proven fact, so warm and light colors (sunny, pinkish, pale blue, turquoise, mint, lilac) are welcomed. Red and blue are not allowed: strong paints can cause discomfort and whims of a baby.
Knitted patterns for newborn babies are made in a different way.
It can be knitting:
- ordinal (as knitted scarf from edge to edge loop with the transition to the next row);
- diagonal (knitting from the corner with the addition of loops at the end of each row, then with a reduction);
- fragmentary (crocheted canvas from separate fragments interconnected).
Knitted linen blankets for babies do not accept coarse or dense knitting: such models do not heat, they are inconvenient in operation. Even if the basis is a simple shawl pattern, it should not be tight.
Each craftswoman has her own performance. In some cases, crocheting or knitting is reminiscent of a thin down scarf, in others a textured scarf, and in others, a scarf in ethnic style. The basis may be taken pattern or pattern.
However, it should be borne in mind: in infancy, such blankets are needed for harboring a baby, it is rather functional products.
There is no need for large and bright cartoon characters, large patterns. At this age, they are in no way capable of developing a child, although they can load with an abundance of color and emotion.In addition, a large drawing in the form of an animal, an insect, or a fashionable cartoon character can cause fear on a subconscious level and its own defenselessness.
The parameters of a baby blanket depend on the preferences of the parents. The smallest options are 90x90 and 80x100 cm, however, this is not enough to transform the product into an envelope. In addition, this blanket will serve less spacious counterparts. Practical parents try to make sure that the rug is enough for a longer period, preferring products with dimensions of 100x100, 80x120, 100x140 cm.
In addition, when it loses its relevance as a blanket or a crib cover, it can be used as a stylish cape for a chair.
How to knit a blanket for the baby, see below.