Lampshades: options for designs and features of choice
Lamp shades are needed not only to protect against too bright colors. Often they play a more decorative function, for example, when elite rattan models are selected or a room is designed in a certain style. It is necessary to take into account not only the possible variations of lamps, but also the features of choice associated with the manufacturer and the necessary care for the lamp shade.
What does it mean and what is necessary for?
A lampshade is a special cap worn over the lamp bulb. From the French language, this word is translated as “dimmer”, which immediately indicates its intended purpose: diffusing the light flux, softening it with an opaque lampshade material.In addition to the main function, a similar cap has recently been increasingly used for decorative purposes.
Various materials and forms in which lampshades can be made allow you to choose the right model for absolutely any style, starting from refined baroque and ending with a deliberately coarse rustic.
Refracting the light, the lampshade can completely change the atmosphere in the room. It not only disperses the lighting, but sometimes changes the color of the light flux, passing rays through it. In some cases, it looks more than unusual, for example, when it comes to carved lamp shades. They transmit light unevenly, creating interesting highlights. They are not suitable as the main source of light, but they are best suited to create a light accent.
Thus, the cap for the lamp performs many functions, each of which competently complements the other, leaving lampshades among the favorites when choosing lighting. Despite the bulkiness, which can often frighten a demanding customer, such functionality fully pays for the relatively large size of the lampshades.
Separation of lampshades is carried out according to several criteria, the main one being the location of the structure.
So, allocate ceiling, table and floor options:
- Suspended ceiling lampshade - simple and clear form of the lamp. Most often, such a chandelier is used as the main source of illumination and is complemented by LED lighting due to the inability to create the required amount of light. Such models are performed in different configurations, including the designer for the lamp crystal chandeliers.
- Desktop models differ in a large variety of sizes and shapes, however, most often use medium variants in the form of amphorae. They do not allow the light to hit in the eye, even if the desk lamp is used as a bedside for reading. By the way, speaking of bed lamps, it is impossible not to mention that the lampshade-clothespin on the lamp is often used. It is attached with a clip to the light bulb itself.
- Floor samples are a complete replacement of sconces to create local lighting. They can be arbitrarily tall and large. The configuration of the ceiling also differ, however, most often used at the bottom of the wide model.
The division into price niches for economy, elite, or middle-class models is based on the materials that were used to create the lampshades. For example, models from natural fabrics are a priori at the upper price limit due to the high cost of the raw materials used.
The size of the lampshade is its diameter. There are large, medium and small models:
- Large constructions used as a suspended ceiling or floor models. Often they play an accent role, attracting attention to themselves. When installing a large floor sample, it is important to pay attention to how harmoniously the size of the ceiling is matched to the base. Be sure to focus on a sense of balance.
- Medium Caps well suited for installation both on the ceiling, on the table and on the floor. If you pick up a sample of a suitable form, you will be able to diversify the interior with the help of an unusual nuance. Practical medium suspension lamps are installed mainly in functional rooms: kitchens, bathrooms, hallways.
- Mini lampshades they complement either the multi-track ceiling chandeliers or are used as a frame for small reading lamps.Small lampshades are the most "capricious" because they require you to carefully consider the choice of the lighting element. The small cap is close to the light bulb, so for safety reasons it should not be allowed to heat up quickly.
When creating the interior of the room, you can combine lamps with lampshades of various dimensions. This technique will help to make the room look more interesting, make the viewer's eye to dwell on the details.
According to their design features, sewn lampshades on the frame and models on a plastic backing are divided.
- In the first case, there is a wide scope for experiments with the form. It turns out to construct not only simple geometric models, but also complex ones. However, these options are not without drawbacks: the presence of a large number of stitches does not hide anything, and in some cases this does not allow creating the necessary atmosphere in the room.
- When designing a lampshade on a substrate, there is no need for a complex iron frame, since its role is completely fulfilled by the substrate. This is both an advantage and a disadvantage, since there is no possibility of creating a model of complex shape.For the cap on the substrate, only one joint is made, and metal parts-circles for fixing the lamp shade are fastened only at the bases.
Light shades can be attached with a clip on the light bulb itself, however, much more often you can find an option when the mount is carried out to the upper ring. Fastening to the lower ring is much less common due to the fact that it is used for even shapes: flat cylinder-drum, cube and the like.
Heavy models of caps are attached at the same time and for the lower, and for the upper ring to fix the lampshade as tightly as possible. Mostly double mount is used for large floor lamps.
A variety of configurations are amazing. Along with typical forms, such as a cylinder or a cube, untypical ones are also common: a concave Empire, a hemisphere with a rim, and others. Classic shapes have rounded corners. These include:
- concave cylinder;
- straight Empire;
- straight oval;
- concave Empire;
- Tiffany (with or without festoons) and others.
Modern interiors often use more rectangular models and geometric 3D shapes:
- square option;
- long cylinder and so on.
When choosing a variant of one form or another, you definitely need to focus on the style of the interior, its modernity and spirit. From this depends largely on the final look of the whole situation.
Also remember that models on different frames open up different variations of shapes. For classic interiors, it is preferable to choose embroidered caps with ribs, for modern ones - on a plastic backing. Forms that open when using these frames are optimal for these two main stylistic groups.
It is worth noting that today the cylinder is the most versatile. It can be recreated with the help of an ordinary frame, and with the help of plastic, however, the final appearance will be strikingly different.
At performance of parts of the lamp shade various materials are used:
- Frame most often do metalIn some cases, it can also play the role of decoration. In such situations, forged steel frame is not covered with a top. For decorative purposes, choose copper, bronze, black materials.
- Plastic backing It can also not be covered in any way, in which case it is also a lamp shade at the same time. It is possible to form simple geometric shapes, however, you can choose a two-sided color, for example, to make the lamp shade inside orange, and outside gray.
- Speaking directly about caps, it can be noted that the most common are models from fabric. They can belong to a class of luxury, and to be quite affordable. The most expensive models include a silk fabric shade. Despite the gorgeous original look, it quickly loses color and requires frequent replacement.
- A bit better things are linen cloth. It fits perfectly in almost any interior due to its unusual texture, as well as high wear resistance.
- In oriental interiors applies organza. When choosing matter, it should be borne in mind that lampshades are made of fabric treated with substances against fire,and be sure to look for a similar label in the characteristics.
- The most interesting models include lace lampshades. They transmit light in such a way that intricate shadows are formed, due to which an extraordinary atmosphere is created.
- Wicker the cap can be made of several materials. A wicker model made in the macrame technique is more common, but also recently rattan samples are widespread.
- Glass the ceiling is a classic of the genre. It can be made of transparent or frosted glass, complemented by a variety of carved details or bubbles. Depending on how matt the glass, the dissipative capacity also differs.
- Wooden The lampshade is not only used in ecological interiors. Often you can find such a model in the sauna or bath. Particularly unusual samples are made with Himalayan salt, as a result they look like large salt crystals.
In the trend are both muted models of neutral colors, and bright.
The most popular colors include the following:
- the black;
Metal forged lampshades can be performed in restrained colors: black, silver and the like. They are usually combined with glass caps. If a fabric model is chosen for the metal, it is not necessary to ensure that both of them are made in the same color.
Sometimes it is much more interesting to look at contrasting combinations, for example, a black metal base and gold fabric.
Quite often not monophonic lampshades are chosen, but made of fabric with a pattern. In such cases, it is important that the same fabric is repeated in the rest of the furnishing details, for example, curtains, upholstery of chairs and the like can be sewn from it. To combine different prints, you must have a subtle artistic flair, otherwise the resulting duet will not produce the desired effect and will look ridiculous.
If you are not confident in your abilities, it is better not to use the colorful cap in the room.
A simple lampshade often looks boring. You can create an interesting and unique sample by yourself.The most unusual way is to renew a decoupage bored lampshade. With the help of this technique it will be possible to create the most unusual patterns, because the choice of ready-made options is huge. Decoupage is often done at home without buying additional equipment.
The glam look of the lampshade can be given if you decorate its bottom edge with a fringe. Fringe at the same time can be any, regardless of its type, fringed lamps look festive and elegant.
Remember that this type of decoration is more preferable for traditional interiors. In most modern rooms, such models will look ridiculous.
Ribbon-stitched appliqués over an ordinary ceiling will give it a touch of rustic romance. Mostly floral motifs are used, but bows can also be used.
In general, you can decorate lampshades with anything: lace, backstage, bows, appliqués, decoupage, stencilled writing, tassels. The choice of suitable options is limited only by the imagination and taste preferences of the owner.
Each style has its preferred models of lampshades.For some styles, they may overlap or even almost duplicate each other.
It should focus on several of the most popular destinations:
- Provence or Chebbi Chic welcome choice of models "antique". In general, the style of country music, as well as retro, is characterized by the choice in favor of aged models, similar to those inherited from older relatives. For Provence and Shabby Chic, fabric-shaped cone-shaped models of a light cream color with a large floral pattern are chosen. You can choose a lot of finishes: lace, fringe, ribbon embroidery, backstage and the like. The lampshade should look as self-made as possible.
- For models in oriental style characterized by an abundance of color. Interesting look Tiffany ceiling lamps, made up of many multicolored fragments. Fabric models are made of translucent multi-colored shawls, as if draped over the frame. It is preferable to use luxurious fabrics of bright saturated colors.
- For loft style it is advisable to completely abandon the use of lampshades, and if you use any models, you should choose tin or wooden hemispheres.
On the modern market you can find products from different manufacturers.
- Favorites in the market of lampshades are rightfully recognized European models. Italy, Spain, Belgium provide excellent components, not only caps, but also bases. Separately, the purchase of such elements is much cheaper, at the same time the design approach guarantees the creation of its own author's model of the lamp.
- Chinese designs Often the high quality does not differ, however, there is an exception to every rule. Factory Chinese lampshades, made with all the rules and having a certificate of conformity, are quite acceptable in quality, at the same time their price is significantly lower than for European models.
- Turkish lampshades rarely can be found separately from the bases, mainly the luminaire is supplied as a kit. It is impossible not to point out that the kits are well thought out, are of high quality and of a reasonable price. Turkey is in the list of countries-leaders in the production of lighting devices, so Turkish manufacturers are trying with all their might to correspond to such a high rank.
How to choose?
The cap for the lamp must be selected after repair, when all the details of the situation have already taken their places. The fact is that a pre-purchased floor lamp may simply not fit into the finished interior, and the use of an inappropriate model will negate all the design efforts.
If there is a problem of choosing a cap under the furniture, pay attention to the bright upholstered furniture in your room. As a rule, a single shade of the same shade will fit perfectly.
It does not matter if it is selected on the ceiling, on the floor or on the table - this rule works equally well in any situation.
For the nursery, you should opt for bright patterns with drawings, for example, with the characters of the beloved cartoon child. You can stick on the lampshade applications with different little animals, asterisks, cars.
For the bedroom is best to choose a neutral model that does not distract from sleep. The best choice are non-contrast lampshades. For example, in a gray-lemon room, both gray lampshades and light lemon-colored products will look good. It is important that the eyes rest when looking at the lamp shade.
Pay attention to the light transmission ability of the cap, especially if it is used for bedside tables: the light should not be too bright.
How to care?
Caring for different materials lampshades required different:
- The simplest is to care for glass models. Simply wipe them with a microfiber cloth, and strong dirt can be removed with a damp cloth. For complete cleaning, it is enough to remove the ceiling lamps, “bathe” them in a solution of water and dishwashing detergents and polish them with a lint-free waffle towel.
- Wooden lampshades are cleaned with wood polishes. Ordinary water for a tree is destructive, because it leads to the deterioration of such delicate material. Also, do not use abrasive sponges: they will leave ugly scratches on the varnished wooden coating, thus the lampshade will be hopelessly damaged.
- Fabric options require a more delicate approach. They need to be regularly cleaned of dust with a vacuum cleaner. It is necessary to use the unit at minimum power, having previously put a wet gauze on the tube: this way the collected dust will not scatter around the room and will not settle again on the cap for the lamp.
- Thorough cleaning of the fabric cap is done with a sponge soaked in warm soapy water.It is necessary to wipe places of strong pollution, whenever possible without affecting places of fastening of a framework. It is not protected by anti-corrosion coating, so it can rust.
Below are a few examples of lampshades, harmoniously selected for the environment.
When the floor lamp is made of the same fabric as some trim parts, the whole room takes on a more finished look. A ottoman, throw pillows on a plain, discreet couch and a floor lamp on an interesting carved base is a wonderful trio.
- In the interiors of the Scandinavian style, it is often the lamp shade that is the accent detail, however, it is important to ensure that it does not stand out from the general view. Notice how the hanging model fits with the desktop: the cap is matched to the color of the bases.
- Recently, it is fashionable to protect large pompous crystal constructions with the help of simple cylindrical lamp shades. Colors can vary, however, white, beige, black, and lilac shades are most often used.
How to make a lampshade with your hands, see the following video: