Lighting in the children's room
The nursery is for the child his own little world. In this place he spends most of his time, develops and cognizes the environment. Therefore, it is so important to think over the design of the room for the child as comfortably and correctly as possible, paying special attention to its lighting.
Children's room in any apartment has a wide functionality. For a child, this is an office, a place to sleep, a creative workshop, and a place to play. Lighting in the nursery has a tremendous impact on the psycho-emotional state of the growing organism and the overall development of the child. Due to the good daylight, the room has activity, and the muffled and soft evening lighting prepares the baby for bedtime.
Thus, the correct distribution of light contributes to the formation and consolidation of the natural biological rhythm.
Proper distribution of light in the room also contributes to the formation of good vision. Therefore, it is very important to observe the norms of illumination for children and avoid excessively bright or dim light.
There are two main types of lighting for any room - natural and artificial.
Natural light is of natural origin and is most suitable for the eyes of not only the child, but also adults. The more natural light penetrates the room to the child, the better. Therefore, should be taken in the apartment under the most sunny children's room. The best option would be the east or south-east side, in such rooms a lot of sun happens in the morning.
In order to get as much sunlight as possible into the room, you should choose loose curtains of soothing shades. For a boy, you can choose the sky-blue shades, and yellow or green color will suit the children of both sexes. Particularly relevant curtains in the rooms on the south side, in which during the day the lighting may be too intense.
The nursery with the north windows is the most deprived of light, so you should not curtain the windows with thick curtains, and in the design of the nursery you should use light shades and light reflecting surfaces. In the room on the west side it is better not to arrange a nursery, the sun there only happens after lunch.
However, if you do not have to choose, artificial light sources help to adjust the degree of illumination.
Artificial lighting comes from human-made lighting. The main task of artificial light sources is to ensure uniform distribution of soft lighting without dark or bright areas. For children's room, the use of fluorescent lamps will not be the best option.
The illumination of such devices is hard for the child’s body to take, the child gets tired quickly and starts to get nervous.
The best sources of artificial light for children are halogen and LED light bulbs with low power.
Spectrum halogen devices has maximum similarity with the spectrum of sunlight, so it is considered the safest for the eyes.The light from the halogen lamps is not tiring and increases efficiency due to bright and even radiation. In addition, these bulbs will last a very long time.
LED bulbs characterized by maximum energy saving with adequate quality lighting. Such lighting devices are optimal for a child's room due to its durability and high level of safety. A wide variety of color solutions of LED lamps allows you to bring to life the most unusual ideas for the design of a children's room.
Rules for the distribution of lighting devices by level
The number of lamps in the nursery and their placement directly depend on the area of the room. If space allows, then separate zones should be allocated, depending on the age and needs of the child.
For a student, for example, it is necessary to organize places for games, activities and recreation, in which it is better to make lighting of varying intensity.
The optimal solution to this problem will be the creation of a multi-level lighting system:
- First level It is designed to illuminate the playing area, which needs more light than others, and is also the main source of artificial light in the room. Light devices are located on the ceiling and at a distance of a natural light source.
The main illumination is characterized by softness and distraction, so the chandelier ceiling should be plastic or paper and have a matte surface.
Illuminants with a reflective surface are dangerous because of the occurrence of glare. Modern lighting in the design sense implies a successful combination of a chandelier with LED lights and even lighting, especially if the play area is located in the corner of the nursery. On the stretch ceiling is best to install built-in lamps around the perimeter of the room.
- Second level intended for leisure activities at the computer, reading books or watching TV. This zone traditionally has one-sided illumination, while the second side remains without light. The best solution would be to install wall sconces with dimmers - dimming controllers.
- Lighting third level designed for working area. For practicing the lessons, the best lighting devices will be table lamps and lamps, which can be adjusted and fixed in different positions if necessary.Table for training in accordance with the established standards of lighting should be located on the left side and in front of the window.
- Fourth and last level lighting is needed for a sleeping place for children. You should not make a mistake and deprive this area of a separate source of light. Especially important is the presence of a night lamp or lamp with adjustable power of illumination above the bed in the room of a teenager, which will help to maintain an intimate atmosphere. Children of preschool age cute nightlight in the form of an animal will allow you to overcome the fear of darkness and loneliness while falling asleep.
Often parents buy nightlights with motion sensors in the room for a newborn baby, which allows you to easily check the condition of the crumbs at any time. A nightlight is also necessary if two children sleep in a room, and one of them can get to the toilet at night. In this case, the muffled light of the night light will not disturb the sleep of the second baby. The diverse design and colors of night-lighting devices allow us to embody the most daring ideas for decorating the interior of a children's room.
The delimitation of the space of the room into separate zones is an important point in the nursery for several children.
In this case, it is important to clearly separate the work area and the place to sleep and rest, so that one child can safely study while the other is getting ready for bed.
What to look for?
Children's room has a fundamental difference from other rooms in the apartment, because the baby there often can be left alone. Therefore, the first thing to ensure in the nursery is safety. If a small child lives in the room, it is necessary to ensure the inaccessibility of all lighting devices. A curious kid may be interested in the lamp and get burned or hurt.
It is worth refusing from overly massive and fragile chandeliers.
Plastic copies in a broken state are not capable of causing harm to a child, and among glass models it is worth choosing lamps with red glass shades.
But even the choice of plastic covers should be treated with caution. Some cheap plastic models begin to emit harmful chemical compounds into the air.
Instead of floor lamps, you should choose for children's wall sconces. During active games, the probability of dropping a lamp on the floor is much higher than breaking a wall unit.
It is advisable to arrange sockets and switches so that they are not accessible to a young child.
For room crumbs, it is better to give preference to outlets with protective plugs or special curtains that open only when inserting the plug. It is better if they are hidden behind furniture. At the same time, too long wires also carry a danger during outdoor games.
For older children, such stringent requirements are not necessary; on the contrary, they must learn to properly and carefully handle electrical appliances.
Tips for choosing
Before buying lamps for your child's room, you should familiarize yourself with some helpful tips:
- Chandeliers and sconces in the room for the baby, like all other objects, should be unpretentious in care and easy to be cleaned.
- The average illumination in accordance with the established standards should be in the range of 300 to 500 lux, when using incandescent bulbs the index should be 150-250 lux. It is easier to use another method of calculating the power by which in a child’s room per 1 square meter m should account for 10-15 watts, and in the area for games and activities - 50-60 watts.
- Additional lighting devices should not have too many decorative elements, it is preferable to choose simple models with a flat surface for uniform light scattering.
- In modern design, the installation of halogen lamps, which create soft and diffused lighting, around the perimeter of the room for the child has become an urgent issue. This option will be the perfect solution for a small nursery with a false ceiling and will help to visually make the space of the room more.
- Fantasy lamps for a suspended ceiling will allow you to create in the children's unique fabulous atmosphere. Arranged in groups or over the entire surface of the ceiling, lights in the form of stars and hearts create original effects, and with a sufficient amount they can replace the main lighting device in the form of a chandelier.
- Choosing a night light, you should focus on the overall color palette of the room and the preferences of the child. Modern manufacturers of lighting fixtures present models of night lamps of a wide variety of shapes and colors, in the form of cars or horses, as well as their favorite cartoon characters.
The main rule is to buy safe devices in specialized stores in order not to endanger the life and health of the child.
- Before buying a chandelier or other lighting device, you should carefully read the attached instructions. Diligent manufacturers necessarily illuminate in it what types of light bulbs are suitable for this model and what power is the maximum allowed.
You will learn more about the lighting in the children's room in the following video.