Lighting in the living room
The living room is the most functional room in the house. It is here that people meet with family and friends, have a rest after a hard day with family, do their favorite hobby or just watch TV. Here everything should be perfect and thought out to the smallest detail, ranging from the color of the walls and ending with the design of furniture. Lighting in the living room should include the entire spectrum - from bright light to dim. It is worth more to understand the secrets and rules of the organization of light in the living room, with ideas, photos and original options.
Room lighting rules
Proper lighting requires a plan, in which you must specify all the furniture and appliances to determine the placement of wiring. It is important to remember about the compatibility of various elements in the interior.Without a creative approach to create beautiful lighting will not work.
How to organize the lighting in the hall:
- The basic rule of lighting the room - one lamp in the living room can not do. Most often in the interior of the living room is used central ceiling lighting. This is the most common and simplest option that remains relevant for many years. But even with the most elegant chandelier, the corners of the room remain without light.
- In any room should be the main place that you want to highlight the light. It can be a sofa, a dining table or a work of art.
- For the living room is better to choose a lamp with a soft light.It is they who create a cozy and harmonious atmosphere.
- Do not place spotlights in one row, for each part of the room should have its own background lighting.
- The living room should be illuminated in separate areas. - using local lamps and appliances.
- Using the right lighting approach You can hide some room flaws.
Designers divide lighting into several types. Background or ceiling plays the role of the main source of light that illuminates the entire room.For this, a chandelier or small lamps are used. With the ceiling light, you can combine other additional devices. For example, an electric fireplace will perfectly fit into the interior of a large spacious living room, it will play the role of additional lighting.
Wall lighting will allow to dilute the interior. Flickering lights can be used for this.
Spotlights with vertical, horizontal or diagonal luminous flux are mounted on the wall or on the ceiling singly or in groups. They can play the role of primary lighting. Spot lighting differs from the background ability to rotate - depending on the task. Some models can be adjusted for brightness and intensity.
Decorative lighting allows you to place accents in the interior of the living room. It performs only the function of highlighting some details. “Playing” with the light is not very easy, but interesting. Decorative lighting can be used:
- in the niches of the walls;
- for individual parts - for example, statuettes, decorative items, awards or cups;
- for pictures and photo frames;
- for aquarium.
Luxurious table lamps in the shape of candlesticks are suitable for large living rooms with a fireplace.
It is very useful to install dimmers to adjust the power of the light, so that depending on the time of day and mood, the level can be changed from muffled to bright.
Planning a living room lighting is necessary at the initial stage of design. However, there is a time when after some time after the repair it becomes clear that it is necessary to additionally add or remove extra sources of light. Therefore, do not be afraid to combine several lighting options and use different devices in the same living room. The main thing is that the lamp or wall lamp give the right amount of light and complement the style of the room.
When choosing appliances for the living room, be guided by the style of the interior of the room, individual preferences and area of the room. For each style has its own devices that emphasize the uniqueness of the living room modern, Provence or art deco.
- For high-tech style a great spot LED ceiling lights with a shiny surface.
- For classic style Crystal chandelier with decorative lamps in the form of candles.Beautiful wall lamps and a floor lamp with an elegant lamp shade will emphasize and complement the discreet, fairly strict interior.
- For fashion style loft, fit rough and original lamps. Preference is given to models of glass, plastic, wood and metal. Lamps should be made in the style of production premises.
- For modern style intricate chandeliers and lamps of unusual shapes and rich colors are suitable. Original geometric lines and bold solutions emphasize the individuality of the living room.
Interior design options
From the lighting will depend on comfort. Modern designers have long abandoned massive single chandeliers in the living room interior. Replaced came spotlights with suspended ceilings. A living room without a chandelier visually seems larger. Small individual lamps or floor lamps make the rooms more comfortable and help to divide rooms into functional zones.
How to make a living room without a chandelier:
- Place the spotlights around the perimeter of the room.
- Prefer LED lamps, they last longer, save electricity and illuminate a large area.
- LED strip will help to arrange the living room and create the illusion of a soaring ceiling.
- For each zone that needs additional lighting (for example, an armchair for reading books), choose floor or wall sconces and floor lamps. They look very harmonious with ceiling lights.
- Explore all instrument and portable lamp options. To create a cozy atmosphere, additional lighting can replace the main one - the ceiling one.
- For a stretch ceiling to pick up a chandelier is quite difficult, which is not the case with spotlights. The variety of forms and levels of lighting allows you to find a suitable option for any living room.
For a living room divided into zones, it is necessary to consider local lighting for each place. To diversify the interior, to focus and add comfort - these are the goals that allow additional devices to achieve.
Chandeliers - the traditional and well-known version of the lighting room. The appropriate option for the classic style, but such a device does not fit into modern styles - high-tech, loft or minimalism. With the help of the chandelier you can successfully zone your living room with one simple trick.To divide the room into parts or visually move the center of the living room, it is enough to place the chandelier at the desired point. The second part of the room can be arranged using other methods of lighting.
Table lamp will designate the working area. You only need to choose the right model - with a certain level of lighting. Openwork or strict laconic lamp - the choice depends on your preferences and on the style of the room. The undoubted plus of additional devices is their mobility. To transfer or change the lamp will be very easy.
For a cozy corner in a recreation area or a large sofa, a floor lamp with a soft light can be used for guests, under which you can read books and magazines or embroider.
Suspended lamps in modern design have replaced the classic chandeliers. Modern models have a variety of designs, they are presented in a wide range. Such lighting is appropriate for the dining area in the living room.
The main thing with local lighting - do not overdo it with the devices. A large amount of light is permissible only in a large room, and for a small living room it is enough to combine the ceiling light and a floor lamp.
How to choose and correctly place the lamps?
If it comes to a small living room with low ceilings, it is better to abandon the chandelier in favor of point lighting. The combination with a floor lamp in the corner of the room will visually expand the area. If you still do not want to give up a beautiful chandelier, then choose a not very weighty and bulky model. Suitable option - 40-60 cm.
For single ceiling lights, you must lower the ceiling a few centimeters to hide the wires and appliances. On the market are models that are mounted directly into the ceiling and do not take height. Such overhead lights fit perfectly into the modern style of minimalism, hi-tech or loft. Height is 8-10 cm.
A crystal chandelier will look great in a large room - both in modern and classic interior. Refracting the light and "playing" with color highlights on the walls and ceiling, the chandelier will also perform a decorative function - both in the evening and in the afternoon. However, you can do spotlights on the ceiling. Post them will need to be through 80 cm (above the required areas).
Owners of long rooms need to decide in advance on where and how the furniture will be placed.Placing a chandelier directly above the sofa is not worth it, this option will cause discomfort. It is better to place the ceiling lamp to the right or left of the recreation area and reception.
At the same time, the mounted chandelier should be placed where people do not walk very often. Therefore, it is better to choose several lighting devices for each individual zone, so that there are no dark corners in the living room.
The main recommendations for the selection of lamps for the living room:
- Lighting living room should be close to natural.
- Recreation area in the living room, where there is a sofa or a large armchair, can be supplemented with a floor lamp with a soft subdued light. Prefer models with high legs and the ability to adjust the rotation. A light shade will add more light, and a dark one will reduce it.
- It is better to place a long chandelier not over the empty living area, but above the table, side tables or other pieces of furniture. The higher the ceiling, the larger the model you can afford.
- Wall lamps and sconces perform the following main tasks: create new light sources and save usable room space.
- Floor lighting looks very impressive in the living room, but before installing the lamps, make sure that the room design project is accurate. After installing the luminaires, it will be problematic to change their position or location.
- For decorative lighting, dim lamps with a soft light are suitable. It is important not to overdo the backlit. For the living room, it is enough to select a maximum of five interior elements with decorative light.
- The formula for choosing the diameter of the chandelier will facilitate the task. To do this, determine the length and width of the living room. For example, the length is 6 m, and the width is 5 m. The sum of two numbers is multiplied by 10. Total we get 5 + 6 = 11 × 10 = 110 cm - this is the optimal diameter of the chandelier for a given area.
- For a narrow and long room, you can choose two identical lamps and place them above each zone. So you can achieve uniform lighting of the living room.
- Another important tip: do not choose the same lights for different rooms. Prefer only those models that are combined with the style of a particular room.
Beautiful interior design ideas
- An original and interesting look in the apartment lamp with a downward or upward light.
- Examples with additional lighting are very original.You can decorate the shelves, paintings or photo frames on the walls. In this case, the lamps will not only provide light composition, but also fill the living room with light.
- LED strip helps create a unique interior with a decorative lighted sofa, wall, floor or baseboard.
- A large beautiful chandelier with decorative candle-shaped lamps creates a fabulous setting in a classic-style living room.
- Original ceiling lamp for a small living room.
- A rough chandelier perfectly complements the brutal interior.
- A wonderful choice of light for a bright living room.
- A chandelier on long suspensions with lots of light bulbs illuminates and decorates the living room.
For more lighting ideas in the living room, see the next video.