Wooden swings: variations and recommendations for making
People come to the summer cottage or backyard to not only work, grow crops, but also to rest from the city rush. For a comfortable pastime, they equip the area, making it enjoyable. Many erect barbecue, mini-ponds, various children's areas.
For a family holiday, a great place will be a swing, which can be placed where it is convenient: on the terrace or in the arbor, under a shady tree, separately under its own shed by a pond or in a clearing. A large number of companies already offer ready-made models of swings, but they can be made with their own hands.
Advantages and disadvantages
In order to independently build a swing, usually use wood, metal or plastic. Each material has its pros and cons, but in most cases the owners of the sites leave their choice on the wood.
Among the indisputable advantages of wooden structures can be identified technical and operational qualities.
- Environmental friendlinesswhich is due to the natural character of the material itself. It determines the safety of human health.
- Aesthetic design. Wooden buildings naturally fit into any landscape design, since they themselves are objects of natural origin.
- Operational safety Wood is softer than iron and plastic, it is convenient for processing and use, less traumatic.
- Easy installation. Even the simplest construction skills will make the simplest model of a swing.
- Versatility and practicality. The simplicity of wood processing is due to the large number of models and types of swings. And all of them can be performed by one’s own hands, without the involvement of professional craftsmen.
- Relatively low cost. Wood is cheaper than metal, and if you use any waste in the form of boxes or pallets to make a swing, the costs will decrease several times more. Also, the savings come from independent work, since the carpenters' services will not have to be paid for.
Among the shortcomings, there is only one significant one - a low degree of resistance to natural factors, such as rain, snow, damp, wood-insect insects, temperature drops, and sunlight.
That is why you need to worry about the protection immediately:
- tree cover with antiseptic or varnish, you can use the stain;
- install a swing under any shelter: a shed, roof, awning that will protect them from precipitation and direct sunlight;
- in addition, you can choose more resistant wood, such as larch, pine, oak or linden.
Oak products can last for centuries, but such a tree is not cheap. Oak has a good degree of hardness, but is also available for processing and decoration. Conifers have a higher strength factor, no cracks, but undergo rotting processes.Various antiseptics effectively cope with it.
Wooden swings have many options, differ not only in form, but also in ways of construction. This should be considered before the construction of the structure, for example, to give.
The classification parameters of structures will allow you to create the best option for each specific area and case.
- Material. And in this case it differs not only for the execution of the frame, but also for the execution of the seats.
- Mount. Swings can be detached or suspended.
- Design. Registration design depends only on the wishes of the customer and the availability of funds for their implementation. Just like any furniture, swings are made in different styles: country, for the beach, traditional.
- Comfort level This criterion includes the availability of accessories for the decoration of the seats: backs, armrests, pillows or mattresses and other similar accessories.
- Maximum allowable weight. Perhaps this is one of the primary parameters for the swing. It begins with the calculation of the dimensions of the whole structure, the method of its installation and the choice of material for the frame.
- Time of use. If you plan to use the swing year-round, you can install them permanently. In the case of seasonal use, it is better to opt for portable, folding or hanging options.
By installation method
Garden swings can be installed in three different ways: stationary, using suspensions or with the possibility of transfer.
- Stationary models assume a permanent place, therefore, the design is more stable, as a rule, has a foundation. The main advantages are reliability and long service life. As a minus - their immobility, that is, if you change the decision about the location of the swing, it will be problematic to change it. To protect the wooden structure itself and the people sitting in it, they are often made with a roof.
- Portable structures allow you to change the place as often as you want the owners. At installation special support are used. Garden options can be taken to an open place in sunny weather and cleaned in the utility room for the winter or during bad weather.
- Suspended swingbesides mobility, they are notable for their ease and variety of models.The disadvantage is the search for any crossbar or tree branch, which must have a sufficient degree of strength. In most cases, such models are installed for children, since low weight is not a hindrance. In the case of adults, it will be necessary to install a special support for the suspension. The simplest example is a piece of ordinary board that is tied to a branch. Advanced options have a seat with backrest and armrests, soft mattresses and pillows.
It should be noted that the suspended structures can be used without a shed only in dry weather, since the ropes and ropes with which they are attached, although treated with special compounds, are still subject to decay with frequent wetting.
Depending on this criterion, the dimensions of the structure are selected.
- Family models designed for operation of 2 or more people. At the base, they are a long bench with a stable massive support. Such designs fasten on chains or strong ropes. For the frame is recommended to use durable wood species.
- Children's swing most often small sizes, designed for low weight. The main distinguishing feature from other modifications is the ability to swing high, because they have an entertaining function, not a relaxing one. Designs for children depend on their age. For babies, it is necessary to consider safe protective mounts: holders, handles, partitions, fixing belts. Older guys no longer need such protection.
If there are several children in the family, it is better to install double swings, when two seats are attached to one base.
- Swings for adults intended for recreation. The angle of deviation is extremely small, which does not allow them to sway too much. They are focused on relaxation, reading books, afternoon nap. Because of their purpose, outdoor models are usually equipped with a canopy, a protecting insect screen, hanging tables or armrests. As a rule, adult swings have soft seats and comfortable backs.
The constructional shape of a wooden swing is different: from the simplest form of board to more complex and original.
- Bench - the simplest model, installed more often on A-shaped racks. Manufacturing options are many. You can hang the shop with ropes or chains. Creative owners of their own sites use a variety of industrial waste: crates, pallets. The bench is suspended and to the branches of nearby trees, if there is such an opportunity.
- Sphere or drop. Spherical or drop-shaped swings belong to the category of suspended and are suspended most often with the help of a single cable or rope. Unusual seat weave rattan or soaked wood. More economical option - from plastic, fabric or rope. Designers like to use such stylish solutions not only when designing the external landscape of the garden plot, but also indoors. In any interior swing-sphere look very original and cozy.
- Armchair. The design is intended for 1-2 people and has the form of a named piece of furniture. Craftsmen make the seat of various materials, but from any old chair you can make such a swing. It is only necessary to remove the legs and attach secure fasteners to it.Rocking chairs or single sitting hammocks are comfortable for reading books on the terrace.
- Bed or sofa - This is a novelty of recent years. Suspended beds are very popular not only as a swing, but also for a night's sleep. Such a design becomes a highlight of modern interiors of country houses. Especially she liked teenagers and young people. Such a bed is fixed to the ceiling with the help of strong ropes, less often - with chains.
Choosing a material
In order to make a wooden swing, it should be understood that not any wood is suitable for this, but only with a certain degree of strength.
As a rule, the base is made of logs or lumber. Among conifers for such construction, larch, pine and spruce are distinguished, and among the hardwoods - oak, beech, linden, aspen and birch. These rocks not only withstand the effects of precipitation and other natural influences, but also are resistant to deformation.
The breed is also responsible for the texture, for example, in deciduous trees, it is more interesting and diverse due to the pattern and brilliance.
Support structures should be made of solid wood only, since glued parts may not withstand weight or deformation. As for the seats, then there is no limit to fantasy.Spherical pendant swing made of rattan, willow, plastic, rope and cloth.
Wooden swinging sofas are decorated with soft mattresses and pillows with removable covers. As a material, craftsmen use not only new boards, but also wooden pallets - pallets. From them original swing beds turn out.
The construction of any structures begins with the project and the choice of the location of the object. The choice of wood, the method of installation and the design of the whole structure depend on the answer to the question where the swing will be located.
In the ideal case, for the location of a street swing should choose the most flat place on the site. If the project provides for a stationary version of the design, then it is advisable to choose places sheltered from direct sunlight, for example, under the canopy of trees.
If you intend to place a swing on the veranda, porch, or in the gazebo, then you should pay attention to the panoramic view, which you will have to contemplate while relaxing, the movement of the sun so that it does not shine all the time in the eyes, and other factors.
Children's swing is better to tinker on the meadow with grass to avoid injuries in the fall.Adult models can be installed on asphalt or paved grounds. For family options intended for use by a large number of people, a hard surface is required to prevent the feet from sinking into the ground.
Swings on suspensions require a careful approach to the choice of support. The simplest models can be hung to a strong branch of a tree; for heavier and more complex ones, it is better to provide fasteners on the beams of the house or on special supports made of logs, bar or metal.
Sometimes the swing-bench is suspended between two trees, but for this, the branches of both plants must be equivalent in strength. The houses located at natural reservoirs, most often build on stilts. If the level of the floor is high above the ground, the owners use the distance that has arisen either in technical needs or in aesthetic ones, arranging recreation areas there. Swings suspended from the ceiling beams will be very appropriate there.
The presence of an open terrace in a private cottage makes it possible to create the most comfortable atmosphere using suspended structures. They are sheltered from the rain, so you can use any materials for decoration: cozy rugs, soft mattresses, various pillow options.In regions with a small number of serene days, cottages are more often equipped with glazed verandas or a winter garden. It is more expedient to install there either portable light versions of a swing, or suspended models.
How to do it yourself?
Manufacturers today offer a wide range of swings of different types. But we must remember that the purchased product does not always meet all the requirements in terms of dimensions, style, materials and other criteria. Making a wooden swing yourself is not so difficult, but they will be the most favorite place on the site or in the house.
Today, on the Internet, you can find any schemes and workshops that help build a wooden swing for a cottage or garden plot with your own hands. But before you start preparing materials, you should determine the purpose, location and method of installation of the structure.
Suspended type on A-shaped supports
The specified type of construction is the most versatile option. Such swings can either be installed permanently or made portable. The installation method depends on their size. Stationary models have their own foundation and are very stable, so such a swing is big.It is inexpedient to make portable modifications massive, since their main advantage, mobility, will be disturbed. Seat mount on the A-shaped supports can be any, but most often it is suspended.
During construction, you need to focus on the drawings of a particular design. If you can not draw them yourself, you can either contact the experts, or find a suitable option on the Internet. It is better to have several views with detailed dimensions, in order to eliminate errors in the calculations.
- overall dimensions: height, length and width;
- length of each fixing bar;
- bolt length;
- distance from the seat to the ground and to the horizontal mounting beam;
- the distance between the side of the seat and the support on each side;
- the thickness of the board or timber that is used for construction.
Standard Instruction where steps are presented step by step.
- Preparation of tools and materials for work. Experts advise beginners to use for the construction of pine boards and timber.
The following tools may be needed to build a swing:
- measuring tape and square;
- a simple pencil or marker;
- hacksaw for wood;
- Circular Saw;
- sanding block and sandpaper;
- screwdriver set or screwdriver;
- set of wrenches;
- rafter pins;
- self-tapping screws;
- electric drill and drill bit set for wood;
- chain or rope, depending on the type of attachment.
- The construction of the support. The support structure consists of four legs, a crossbar and four struts of two types. For the manufacture of sidewalls take a bar section of 90x45 mm. The length is calculated taking into account whether and how deep the structure will be dug into the ground or recessed into the foundation (usually from 2 to 3 meters). For the cross member and struts, a bar of 140x45 mm is suitable. With a sidewall length of 198.7 cm, the length of the bolt is 210, the upper joints - 23 cm, the lower - 96 cm.
For more accurate calculations, experts use the following formula.
a = b / (2 * sin (β / 2)), where a is the length of the side bar, b is the height of the swing, β is the angle formed when the sidewalls are joined (usually 30 degrees).
After all the parts are measured and cut to the desired size, proceed to the assembly of the support, which is better to carry out on the ground.
- On the crossbar, measure 15 cm on each side. These are the points at which it will be attached to the sides.
- Next, perform oblique cuts at the upper ends of the side supports, to fasten them at an angle. To do this, on the site lay them in the right position. Further, using the square with the rafter pins, mark the place of the cut on one beam and saw off with a hacksaw. In order to make an equivalent cut on the second support, it must be attached to the first and sawed off strictly along the cut.
- A similar operation must be done with the other two side supports.
- We carry out a fitting with a transverse bar, for which it is installed perpendicular to the ground. From below, legs are adjusted to it in such a way that the upper sections fit tightly to the bolt, and the distance between the lower ones is about 120 cm.
- In the next step, the legs are connected to the cross-bar, for which the through-hole is drilled through a drill and a bolt with a nut is screwed in.
- Customize the spacers under the sidewall with clamps for a more precise fit. For the lower connection, a mark is made at a distance of 0.5 m from the ground - this is the standard level of the future suspended seat, for the upper one - by 0.15-0.2 m down from the cross member. The beveled sides are carefully measured using a square.Experts make a fit on the eye, putting a strut to the side support, and noting the bevels in the direction of the beam.
- Next, the spacers are fixed on the sides with bolts or metal corners.
It must be remembered that the bottom width between the two supports should be greater than the length of the seat by 0.5 meters or more.
It is worth noting that for the manufacture of wooden swings it is necessary to use galvanized fasteners. They will not rust and rot, therefore, will extend the life of the structure. Examples of master classes on the construction of a swing with an A-shaped base are given below.
- Seat manufacture. The shape of the seats may be different and depends on the destination. More often family constructions in the form of a bench with a back meet. This type of seat can be hung not only on separate supports, but also on the ceiling beams of the veranda, terraces, inside the room.
For the frame, it is better to take a timber with a section of 3.5x7 cm and a length of 120 cm. Similar material can be used for armrests.
The slats are suitable for boards 3-4 cm thick for the seat and 2.5 cm for the backrest, with a width of 7 to 10 cm.
For suspensions, it is better to choose stainless steel chains or ropes treated with special protective compounds.Eye-bolts, rings, carbines, hinges, anchors, hooks are used as fasteners for hanging elements.
The algorithm for making the most simple version of the bench is not so complicated.
- Frames for a seat and a back are made of a bar.
- Next, going back. If the panels on the backs are planned to be done vertically, then some craftsmen recommend to provide for them a system of grooves and spikes, the first are located in the frame, and the second - on the lamella themselves. In this case, the connection will have to use wood glue to increase strength. The panels can also be fixed with the help of ordinary screws, screws or nails, it is only necessary to provide protection for the caps so that it does not scratch the person while sitting. If the panels on the back are parallel to the frame, then, accordingly, they will need less. The sipes should protrude 4–5 cm beyond the base.
- The next step is going to seat. Panels can go abutly, forming a solid shield, or with gaps from 3 to 5 cm.
- If the project involves the installation of armrests, then they are collected at any stage of construction. Fastening is possible to the back or to the seat.
- The final stage is connected back and seat. To do this, in the simplest case, a rail is nailed to each frame, and parts are tightened with the help of metal corners.
Master classes for the manufacture of several types of benches for swing see below. For one adult, a variety of seating options are provided in the form of a chair, hammock, sphere, drop and other original forms. Craftsmen offer many master classes on making a swing in the form of a hammock. Here are some of them.
Children's models differ from adults in a large rolling angle. Therefore, for babies, it is necessary to provide fall protection elements on the seat: handles, backrests, clamps.
The topic of self-manufacturing of a swing from an old unnecessary skate has become very popular on the Internet.
The authors propose to use the board as a seat, taking off her pre-wheel. Tools and materials will need a minimum: a rope, carbines, a pair of ostruganny sticks as holders and tools necessary for assembling the structure.
It remains only to decide where this device will be attached: to a tree branch or to some kind of artificial crossbar.
For very young children, it is very important to consider protection against falls.In the design of the seats needed fixing elements, armrests, handles and backrests. Manufacturers offer a large number of ready-made options, but the craftsmen offer, without further ado and not having much experience, to make a swing for the kids on their own from fabric and a pair of wood.
Masters propose to sew a seat of dense bright fabric in the form of pants, instead of elastic bands which have wooden holders. In these cubes, holes are drilled on both sides for four fastening cords. Each cord connects two adjacent holders, that is, it is threaded through two openings simultaneously. You need to arrange them in such a way that the side bars are higher because they are armrests. Swings are suspended to one ring, which is attached to the support with the help of a carabiner. Below are a few more workshops on this topic.
Connection of a support with a seat
After all the elements of the swing are ready, proceed to the final assembly. At the side of the seat, fasteners are screwed: eye bolts, anchors or rings. Two on each side - to the seat and back. If a chain is used as a suspension,then on the fasteners they put on the carbine first, and then with its help the chain.
In the case of ropes, additional devices will not be needed. The length of the suspensions is calculated so that the person sitting on the swing gets his feet to the ground.
The nature of the use of swings will tell whether they will be stationary or portable, detached or suspended.
In the case of installation of a separate structure without foundation, the legs of the support are covered with bitumen as a waterproofing, which will increase the service life. After processing, the swing is driven into the ground, carefully tamping it.
The fixed structure is fixed on the foundation. To do this, dig pits with a depth of 50 cm, they install a swing and concreted.
All wooden elements are either painted or coated with lacquer or varnished. The coating is necessary for protective purposes, but it also performs an aesthetic function, so each owner can make his own choice.
Since it is very inconvenient to sit on a hard seat, designers suggest using various versions of removable mattresses and pillows, covers on which can be changed.
The main stages of the construction of a swing from logs are similar to the considered options from a bar. However, it should be noted that the log bases are much more massive, so they are installed permanently using the foundation. Large size and weight cause stability in any cataclysms. Among the disadvantages are the following factors:
- assembly and installation will require the efforts of several people;
- logs are harder to protect against insects;
- the tree eventually becomes rotten.
Thanks to the logs on your site you can build an original, stylized antique swing. Step-by-step instruction of the simplest model is presented below.
First, sand surfaces should be sanded. Then make the necessary notches. To treat the tree with special protective agents, which include antiseptics, stain, and impregnation. Let the logs dry completely. Prepare the ground: align, drive pegs.
- 4 logs with a cross section of about 10 cm and a length of 207 cm.
- The lower partition for each sidewall of a log with a length of 103.5 cm is the base of the resulting log triangle.
- The length of the jumper, which is located at a height of 110 cm from the ground level, is 45.5 cm. Moreover, it should extend over long supports 2 cm on each side.
- The bolt length is 4.5 meters.
- Diagonal log support.
- With such dimensions, the width of the seat-bench - 1.5 meters.
Making the base
Two long logs are connected in pairs in the form of the letter A at an angle of 30 degrees. They draw a single circle, the diameter of which is commensurate with the cross section of the crossbar, and is cut by a grinder. The hole should be oshkurit. Further support in the form of angles are installed on the legs. Using long anchor bolts connect the horizontal and vertical logs.
In the sidewalls, the necessary grooves were made in advance, into which horizontal joints are inserted and bolted. The size of the diagonal strut is determined on site by the fit method. It is fastened with the help of bolts from one side to the upper crossbar, and from the other side to the transverse upper log. Retreating to the right and to the left by 1.5 meters, holes are drilled in the cross-beam, in which they fasten the fasteners for the suspension mechanism.
The manufacture of the seat is made, as well as for swings from a bar.
Swing is a universal object, equally beloved by adults and children, and at the same time it fits into any design. Most of the swing has two functions: entertaining and relaxing. Children use them as entertainment. Depending on the age of the model of wooden swings vary.
- Some designs for kids.
- And others - for older age.
- Hammocks, swings are very popular among children.
Swing for rest are divided into large groups: family, beds, chairs and others.
- Moreover, homemade models are no worse than purchased ones and are much cheaper.
- For example, a swing made of wooden planks with a flexible joint, allows you to relax your back, tired of the day.
- Large benches for a pleasant time together will fit perfectly in any landscape.
- As practice shows, rocking chair can be a swing.
- Recently, the owners of private property are increasingly installing swings in the form of beds and sofas on the verandas and terraces, so that you can sleep outdoors, read books, receive guests.
To learn how to make a wooden swing with your own hands, see the following video.