How to make a swing "Nest" with your own hands?
Swing - one of the favorite children's attractions. In principle, this is not a very complicated construction that can be done personally. "Nest" - suspended model, which has some advantages over other structures. It is a good option for installation on the summer cottage or in the yard of your own home.
The design of the “Nest” is quite popular, it is also called the “Basket” and “Spider's Web”. The main feature of the product is its round seat. Due to this form, swings have additional advantages:
- the model can fit several children at once if you choose a sufficiently large diameter of the seat;
- due to the way of suspension, the structure can swing in different directions, bounce and rotate;
- If you choose the oval version of the seat, the attraction can be used as a hammock for adults and children.
On the other hand, in such a modification, the suspension ropes have a significant load, therefore, strong and safe ropes must be used. If we take the standard factory model, then it has the following characteristics:
- the mesh of the seat in it is created with the help of machine binding, therefore it easily withstands constant stretching;
- you can hang it at a height of 2-2.5 m above the ground;
- ropes are usually made of polypropylene, they are durable and safe, have a thickness of at least 1 cm;
- fasteners and rings are made of galvanized steel.
Finished structures are made taking into account the effects of ultraviolet radiation and high humidity, therefore they are not susceptible to negative environmental conditions. All these points need to be taken into account if it is decided to make a swing "Nest" with your own hands. This is advantageous because the cost of products manufactured in production is quite high.
To independently make a practical, convenient and reliable model, you will need instructions and knowledge of the device of this attraction. It is necessary to think about the materials from which the main elements will be carried out.
- A support for the swing is a frame made of metal profiles, it is also made of wooden bars.
- The basis of the seat can be made of a hoop, plastic or steel, this central part of the structure should be well thought out both in form and in the starting materials. With the grid, usually there are no questions - it can be woven from a climbing rope, it will represent the central part.
- Basket, as a rule, is supplemented with a round pillow with a high-quality artificial filler and a capron cover, which can always be easily removed to wash.
It makes sense to take the following materials for making home swings:
- safety rope or towing rope (diameter 5-6 mm) for tying the seat;
- synthetic fabric for tents, felt and foam rubber, because for the outer part of the suspension you need multi-colored or at least bright material that children will like;
- a steel water pipe (about 4 m) will be suitable as a support;
- two steel (gymnastic) hoops with a diameter of 90 cm to create a frame.
You will also need to acquire steel carbines with a 50 mm mesh or locks.
How to make a seat?
Arrangement of children's swing should start with the manufacture of the seat. First, the steel frame of the seat is made, two hoops are taken for this, they are connected using hinges or clamps. If it is assumed that adults will use the structure, it is better to use a steel pipe with a cross section of up to 15 mm and a length of 150 cm, which is bent on special pipe bending equipment and welded.
The net for the swing “Nest” can be woven in any way, so long as the binding is strong enough. To do this, we use such techniques of weaving as frivolite, macrame or patchwork. However, it should be borne in mind that the use of openwork cloth or too thin cords is suitable for use by one child. You should also pay attention to the fact that the grid does not sag - the cords for this tension extremely, tight. The created canvas of the seat must be securely fastened to the frame nodes.
There is another option for making a seat from the rim of a regular bicycle wheel and a polypropylene tube, which, bending, is inserted into the rim and fixed through the holes for the spokes. For fixing on the frame you will need four rings and two carbines.
Creating a suspended structure
When the central part of the design is ready, you can proceed to the manufacture of the frame. It makes sense to use the traditional version of the profiled pipe or timber (100x100). Procedure:
- two supports are prepared in the form of the letter “A”;
- for a horizontal crossbar, a steel pipe is mounted to them, and the height of the swing should be the same as the distance between the supports;
- ropes and slings are fixed in pairs on the crossbar, preferably polypropylene cables, but for the suspension you can also use chains prewound with dense material;
- so that the cable is not subjected to abrasion, under it make a gasket of polyester;
- you will need four carbines for fixing the basket.
After installation, it is necessary to test the structure for durability - this can be done by laying bars onto the frame with a total weight of up to 120-150 kg.At this stage, the degree of tension of the ropes is usually checked and the seat distance from the ground surface is optimally adjusted. After checking, before you finally hang the basket, the metal frame should be covered with foam rubber, and then with special foamed polypropylene, having insulated the steel pipe.
The outer edge is carefully covered with a replica, it should be superimposed exactly, and on top of it is supplemented with a polyester cover. Independent production of such a model of the swing does not take much time and will require a minimum investment of funds. The main thing is to follow the instructions so that the structure is strong, durable and safe.
How to make a swing "Nest" with your own hands, see below.