Features of the choice of children's towels
When choosing baby towels, you may encounter certain nuances. For example, the fact that towels for adults are not suitable for newborn babies and even older children. Before buying, pay special attention to the material manufacturing, texture and appearance of the product.
The difference between child and adult towel
The choice of children's textiles should be taken as responsibly as possible, because a child should not use a normal adult towel. And the matter is not even in different sizes of accessories. These towels often have a fairly tough texture and can scratch delicate baby skin.
They can also be made of synthetic material, to which the sensitive skin of an infant will respond with allergies. Moreover, ordinary towels are very often sewn from fabrics using dyes (especially for bright models), which is generally not very useful, and even a fragile children's body can have a painful effect.
The choice of material and texture
It is very important to choose the right material and not lose money with the texture, 90% of success depends on it. The following fabrics are considered to be the best materials for making children's textiles.
- Cotton. By right takes the first place among fabrics for production of things for children. It does not cause allergies and irritation, is equally harmless to children's skin, and for the skin of an adult. It is a hygroscopic natural material that absorbs moisture well and does not get wet. Sometimes combined with eucalyptus fibers, which make products more silky, soft and resistant to dust settling. Of the shortcomings - cotton is quickly wiped, so you have to stock up on towels for future use.
Attention! If you see “M cotton” or “PC cotton” on the label, it means artificial fibers or polycotton are added to the natural material. For a child, these supplements will be superfluous.Also pay attention to the manufacturer, it is better to opt for 100% cotton from Egypt or Pakistan.
- Bamboo. The material is less popular than cotton, but not different from it in most characteristics. This is the same natural and hypoallergenic canvas, which is perhaps a little more wet. But this is a very durable breathable material with antibacterial properties. It is worth such a product according to the characteristics, in addition, requires more careful care and dries for a long time. Often combined with cotton. Due to resistance to high temperatures and the presence of a natural antiseptic effect, bamboo towels are good to take in the bath.
- Linen. Linen cloths remarkably “breathe”, they are very dense. It is an eco-friendly material that cannot harm either an adult or a child.
- Microfiber. This material perfectly absorbs moisture, does not cause allergies, is good in operation. It is durable, it is easy to erase, as it is completely unpretentious in the care. We should also mention micromodal - another innovative material that absorbs moisture well. But it is less common than microfiber.
- Terry towel - the best friend of the baby. It is fluffy, soft, pleasant to the touch, can not hurt.
Synthetic materials are strictly not suitable for children's textiles, they cause allergies, and even worse - absorb moisture. Also forget about waffle towels. They are rough, can damage the sensitive skin of the baby, scratch it. Possess poor hygroscopicity.
Remember the length of the pile. For example, cotton towels have an optimal pile height of 6 mm. Towels with a pile less than 6 mm poorly absorb moisture, and with a longer one, they quickly lose their attractiveness and roll off. By the way, it is better to opt for heavier in weight and more compact to the touch towels. They serve longer, less rubbed, in general, behave less capriciously.
Forms and sizes of products
The shape and size of the product depends on what you want to use it for. So, for a normal rubdown of a baby, a towel in the shape of a square or a rectangle will do - usual, classical, 30 centimeters by 30 or slightly more. It is used to wipe the face, hands, feet. However, if you are going to use a towel to wrap a baby, it should be bigger and have a slightly different shape.
A large towel can be from 75x75 to 100x100 centimeters.It is advisable to have two small towels at home and two large ones or to purchase a set that will, in addition to these types, include bath towels, for bathing and intimate hygiene.
The ideal solution would be a towel with a hood (corner). You can wrap the baby in it after bathing, calmly carry it to another room to warm up and not be afraid of the slightest draft, because the towel covers the ears and head of the child. It is very convenient to use them: you do not need to worry about where to wrap the edge of the towel. First you put a hood over your head, and then you wrap the body in a free canvas.
Towel poncho is used less frequently, mainly on vacation. This is a wide canvas with a hole for the head, which provides the baby with space for games and at the same time covers it from the cold. Sometimes also has a hood. Standard size - 100x150 centimeters. The model is good because it allows you not to wrap up or wipe the baby for a long time: just put on a poncho and the baby can continue to run and play.
Sometimes emit also a towel-robe. Its peculiarity lies in the fact that no matter how the kid resists wrapping and does not release the arms and legs, they will still be safely hidden from the cold breeze on the way to the room.
Pay special attention to the color of the fabric.It should be uniform, without bald spots and stains, spots. Appliqués, if any, should be as soft as possible, not being tactile in order not to irritate children's skin. You can’t even talk about beads, bows, buttons or beads, they can damage the baby’s skin or, moreover, end up in his esophagus.
If we are talking about grown-up children, then you can choose a towel with a beautiful pattern or a cute pattern. For example, with the characters of favorite cartoons, at this age, children are already able to appreciate this accessory. It will be very cute and prudent for you to buy a baby’s own towel and keep it as a souvenir. It can be ordered or found in a children's store. When the child grows up, he will be happy to look at the baby towel with his name.
A towel with a hood is often decorated with funny ears, which will please kids of any age. The color of the towel for a newborn or an older child should be dim. Pastel, light or white shades are best suited, as in such products the least dye that can cause an allergic reaction.
Peculiarities of care
Besides the fact that the towel should be optimally matched, it must be properly looked after. Improper use, cleaning or drying towels can cause your baby to experience an allergy or an overly sensitive reaction even to a previously favorite product.
- Before you use a purchased towel for the first time, you need to wash it. It is best now and in the future to use the "delicate wash" with two rinses. Set the water temperature to 60 degrees, spin - at 800 rpm.
- Use special washing powders, gels and conditioners for baby clothes. They can be found in children's departments or cosmetics stores. On each package it is written, at what age the product can be used.
- If, after the first wash, the towel has lost its softness, faded, became coarse, or the color came off it, you should not use it.
- It is necessary to iron towels, but at a temperature not higher than 150 degrees. Ironing is the best way to disinfect baby clothes.
- Dried terry towels with knitwear are inside for a long time, so when a stain appears, it is not necessary to immediately wash the entire cloth.It is enough to stick the stain and hang to dry, in the extreme case - blow dry.
Choosing a baby towel, just like any other product for a baby, does not happen quickly. Often parents go from shop to shop to find the best combination of quality and price. Before you buy, it is better to take with you to the store a list of materials that are ideally suited to babies, but also you should not forget about your own feelings. "Test" a towel in the store: attach it to your neck, feel for softness, make sure that it does not prick or scratch. The material should not crumble and leave behind any traces - fluff, pile, etc.
The smell of towels should be natural, clean, without any chemical impurities. We do not recommend to buy towels of bright colors: a dye was used in the production, and this can cause allergies in the child.
Towel - an indispensable thing necessary for child care. It is unique in its own way: it can be used for its intended purpose (to wipe the baby after bathing) or as a temporary blanket / blanket, while the child, for example, crawls from room to room.Do not save on the choice of textiles for your baby, not only his comfort and good mood, but also his health depends on it.
How to choose towels for children, see the next video.