What is better for bed linen - percale or poplin?
In the presented variety of fabrics used today for the manufacture of sets of bed linen, it is sometimes quite difficult to understand. Among the materials, most often acting as a raw material for tailoring, percale and poplin are in special demand.
To have the most complete picture of these tissues, it is necessary to consider in detail their characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
Selection of bed linen only at first glance may seem to be a rather simple event, however, in fact, the possibility of proper rest will directly depend on the choice made. Sleep is the key to successful replenishment of wasted energy,and the material from which the sheet, pillowcase and duvet cover will be made, will directly affect the comfort of spending time in bed.
Poplin and percale kits have long been in great demand, due to this preference for a number of characteristics of these fabrics. First of all, it is worth noting that the materials have a certain similarity with each other due to the fact that natural cotton threads are used as raw materials for their manufacture.
Poplin and perkalyu are characterized by almost identical density indicators, which causes their good wear resistance in the process of active operation of the finished sets. The production of these materials occurs by a plain weave of cotton threads. With a multiple increase in the fragment of the material, some similarity of the web with the chessboard can be noted, since the main threads intertwine with the minor ones through one.
As for the appearance, both options are attractive and are offered in a wide range of colors.
The principal differences
Despite certain tissue similarities,They still have a number of unique features that allow us to attribute these materials to various types of raw materials used for sewing textile products for bedrooms.
First of all it is necessary to dwell on the history of the appearance of two materials. Such material as poplin was made in France several centuries ago. For the first time it was received specifically for the Pope, which caused his name.
Regarding the second material, we can say that they began to be engaged in its manufacture in the East - in hot India, where the ability to bring much-needed coolness to the body was of particular importance for textiles.
Despite the rather unpleasant name of the material, and percale in translation means "rag", in a very short period of time the fabric became in demand not only in its homeland, but also far beyond its borders. And French weavers and needlewomen, having learned from Indian masters, began to make percals in their workshops and sew various products for their home, as well as casual clothes for men and women.
A remarkable difference between the materials can be considered the thickness used for the production of filaments. Percale consists of thicker cotton weaves.In addition, in the process of working, the fibers are combed out in a special way, but not twisted among themselves.
Another specific feature of fabric production is the coating of fibers with a special substance that has the ability to glue cotton threads together. Such methods have a beneficial effect on such an indicator of raw materials as strength.
From the long history of percale, it is possible to note such a remarkable feature as the use of fabric for the manufacture of parachutes, which speaks for itself about the strength of raw materials and finished products from it.
Sizing with adhesive also has a beneficial effect on the ability of the material to retain its original appearance for a long time, since the product prevents loss of color from exposure to ultraviolet rays. In addition, it prevents the fibers from pushing, in the light of which the products remain smooth and pleasant to the touch for a long time. But percale products are quickly wrinkled, which makes ironing of bed linen from such raw materials necessary.
From the above, we can conclude that the percale is light, but at the same time durable fabric, it differs from poplin by a higher cost.Average the service life of percale bedding sets is ten years.
Poplin hardly crumples during operation, it is considered an exquisite material with a more porous structure of weaving, since cotton threads are not so much adjacent to each other in the production process. But the bed underwear from poplin will be suitable for use no more than five years.
The manufacture of such material as poplin, occurs by the method of weaving cotton fibers, sometimes with the addition of synthetic raw materials different density levels. This method of production determines the unique structure of the surface of the material - it is covered with small scars.
Poplin is widely used not only for the manufacture of bed linen, but also for sewing tablecloths, towels and clothing.
On sale you can find poplinovuyu products, which include silk and even wool. It is these types of material are in demand for tailoring luxury and high-quality bed linen.
To check the composition of products, you should familiarize yourself with the label on the product, in which manufacturers indicate the presence of natural and synthetic fibers as a percentage.
Comparison of advantages and disadvantages
To obtain an objective view of the materials used for sewing clothes, it is necessary to consider in detail the positive and negative sides of each of them.
As for percale products, the following features can be considered the merits of the products.
- Big operational term. As practice and numerous consumer reviews show, percale demonstrates high wear resistance in comparison with most of the cotton bedroom products. This advantage is explained by the density of the threads of raw materials, which is about 140 g / m2, which is several times higher than similar indicators of other natural fabrics.
- Strength of products. Bedding, even after numerous washes in washing machines and irons, does not lose strength, which minimizes the risk of holes in the products.
- The ability to preserve the brightness of the printed pattern and the original form. As experience shows, the fabric is not deformed under the influence of mechanical factors, and is not susceptible to the formation of pellets and fading of colors after washing.
- The comfort of using the material. Since the process of making percale does not apply the method of twisting cotton fibers together, this increases its softness, making the laundry more pleasant. In some cases, you may notice a slight effect of the body sliding on the surface of the percale sheets.
- The material does not cool. Such products can be used in the cold season without fear of freezing, because it keeps the temperature, but it is perfectly breathable, which has a cooling effect when used in the summer.
There are percale bedding and disadvantages. It is necessary to refer to them the fact that the fabric is still wrinkled during use, so after washing, regardless of its method, the product will need to be ironed.
Recently, some manufacturers during the manufacture of steel material additionally include synthetics in its composition, which can adversely affect the characteristics of the finished product, in particular, make it difficult to exchange air. As a rule, on the label of such kits there is an appropriate designation - mixed percale.
Stopping on the virtues of poplin and products from it, it should be noted such features.
- Material strength. During operation, cases of wear and tear of products, even such as a sheet on family and children's sets, are quite rare.
- The products are perfectly breathable.. Due to good air circulation, the body can “breathe”, which increases the hygiene of textile products.
- Fabric perfectly accumulates heat. Products will not cause discomfort when using in the winter.
- Large selection of products. Today, manufacturers of bedroom sets offer products from printed, dyed and multicolored poplin, which allows you to choose products to suit your individual preferences regarding appearance.
- Hypoallergenic material. Poplin bedding is allowed to use in the presence of various skin ailments without fear of the development of unpleasant reactions of the dermis upon contact with it.
- Easy care of products. A positive feature of textiles is considered to be undemanding in terms of the use of any special detergents.
- Deformation resistance. Such products are not wrinkled after washing, moreover, it does not lose color.
- Softness of texture. The material is very soft and silky, so it is pleasant to contact with the body during sleep.
Among the minuses of poplin bed linen, it is necessary to single out the cases when the purchased products with an admixture of wool or silk in their composition after washing gave a decent shrinkage.
What is better?
It is rather difficult to give an unequivocal answer to the question of which of the materials in question will be the best, since in the matter of choosing such products, each customer focuses on individual preferences, assessing certain characteristics of the fabric.
However, taking into account the fundamental properties of materials, it should be borne in mind that percale will still surpass poplin in the strength of threads, due to the use in the manufacture of a special composition. This results in its higher resistance to abrasion during operation. Density is also important, but if there is a need to purchase thinner products, preference should be given to poplin.
For those who do not like to iron, it is recommended to stop their choice on poplin sheets and pillowcases, since they will not need to be steamed after washing.
Consumers whose first priority is the price of a set of bedding, it is worth staying on poplinovyh products, the cost of which will often be much lower. But their lifespan will be less, which is important in terms of the feasibility of buying in terms of savings. With particular attention should be paid to the sets of bed linen, which contain additional synthetic impurities, since artificial fibers can significantly affect the features and benefits of natural fabric.
Bed linen is a thing that is constantly in use, therefore, in some cases, the wear resistance of percale is still a more significant advantage over poplin. In light of the large number of poor-quality textile products that have appeared on the market, special attention should be paid to the seams of the products, they should be made to match the kit, as well as the smell of a new set that should not contain harsh chemical impurities.
More information about the difference in poplin from percale in the next video.