How to choose the wallpaper for the corridor, expanding the space?
The corridor is the place where we find ourselves, crossing the threshold of the house. The first impression of your home is made by the guests immediately after they enter this room. To make everyone like the room, you need to choose the right wallpaper for your corridor.
Most often, the corridors in the apartments have a small area. How visually using wallpaper to increase the space, we will describe in this article.
When choosing wallpaper for a small corridor, consider the following:
- It is necessary to limit the use of dark colors or beat it in contrast, for example, with white doors or white furniture.
- Bright colors, for example, red or orange, will create a festive atmosphere in your corridor, but here you need to know the measure.Bright color should be diluted with calm pastel tones.
- It is necessary to choose the right picture. If you choose striped wallpaper, then you need to consider that the vertical stripes narrow the room, and the horizontal, on the contrary, expand.
- An interesting solution would be to combine wallpapers of different colors. In this case, you can solve aesthetic and practical problems.
- When choosing a finishing material for the walls, consider whether it will be combined with the floor, furniture, whether it is suitable in style.
The corridor is the room that is most exposed to pollution. Therefore, the wallpaper you need to choose those that are easy to wash. All washable wallpaper differ in its water resistance, and to determine it, there is a special sign on the package. Some species can be mildly cleaned, others can be cleaned with a stiff brush, and still others can be cleaned with special tools.
Wallpapers can be made of various materials:
- Vinyl washable. A great choice for a small corridor. High-quality and resistant to mechanical stress material, easy to clean, you can apply detergents to it.It must be remembered that the wallpaper should be glued diligently, because after applying the glue they slightly expand, and after drying they taper, which can lead to a divergence of the joints.
- Glass fiber Very reliable, environmentally friendly material. This wallpaper has a high fire resistance, great resistance to mechanical damage. This material can be repainted repeatedly, as it is resistant to solvents. If you have pets, they will not be able to damage such wallpapers.
- Cork. Only suitable for well-lit rooms due to their ability to absorb light. They are made by applying a thin layer of cork to paper. Such a finishing material is environmentally friendly, durable and has a variety of nice looking shades.
- Liquid. This wallpaper, unlike the rest, is applied to the wall with a spatula. With this method of applying the coating is obtained absolutely smooth, without joints. Vacuuming them, and if the surface is treated with varnish, then it can be washed with a damp sponge.
- Flizelinovye. This finishing material is very popular now.It has increased strength, durability, good decorative qualities. Due to the depth of the pattern, this wallpaper creates a volume that is so necessary for a small room.
- Paper. Such a finishing material because of its low cost is the most accessible. In addition, the advantages are their environmental safety and a pleasant appearance. Due to the fact that such a finishing material is unstable to mechanical or other effects, the service life of such wallpaper is small.
The disadvantages of wallpapering include the mandatory preparation of the walls before gluing them. The surface must be carefully leveled, repaired all cracks.
In the process of work it is necessary to ensure that there are no noticeable joints between the canvases.
When making a corridor, the main attention should be paid to the illumination of this room. If for a well-lit entrance hall there is no particular difficulty in choosing a wall covering, then for a dark corridor you need to choose wallpaper of light and saturated colors that expand the space.
Bright tones should not be used due to the fact that they tend to absorb light.
Choice of ornament
With the help of an ornament, you can adjust the surface of the wall, hide some flaws or emphasize the advantages. So, for example, if the wall is uneven, then wallpaper with a geometric pattern will only underline its unevenness, but on the contrary, a canvas with a blurred pattern will hide flaws.
If you stick a wallpaper with a bright ornament, then your corridor will look smaller, and if with a small pattern, it will visually expand the narrow corridor.
If the corridor is square in shape, then a variety of wallpapers will approach it, and if the room is long and narrow, the choice will be much more difficult. Do not use a finishing material with a large and clear ornament.otherwise, your corridor will visually turn into a cramped and stuffy room.
A corridor with horizontal stripes will appear longer, and narrower if you choose a material with a vertical stripe. Best for these rooms calm neutral drawing will do.
If you have a wide corridor, the best choice for it will be striped wallpaper with narrow vertical ornaments that visually increase the height of the room.
If you want to make your entrance hall more comfortable, purchase fashionable textured wallpapers with imitations for tiles, fabrics, wood and other materials.If you wish to decorate the corridor with paintings, you can do with ordinary wallpaper of one tone.
For a small corridor you should not buy finishing material with a large pattern, because it will reduce the already small space. Visually widen the hallway will help canvas with a dotted pattern or with the effect of projection.
For a small corridor or hallway, you can choose any wallpaper to your liking, but in case the room is square, choose finishing materials that eliminate its disadvantages. For example, you can use wallpaper with vinyl chips - due to the small pattern on the general background, the space will seem more spacious.
It is important to remember that the pattern on the wallpaper should be less than the furnishings of the corridor.
When choosing a finishing material for the walls, pay attention to its texture. In accordance with the idea of the designer, you can choose canvases for stone, leather, plaster, textiles, wood, murals and other options. In this case, do not forget that for the hallway you need to choose easy-to-care materials.
To create an unusual, original atmosphere in your corridor, you can use various techniques:
You can pokleit dark wallpaper in the lower half of the wall, and at the top - lighter. They will add light and make the corridor more visually wider, and the dark bottom will be an obstacle to contaminating the wall.
When making a combined wallpaper, you need to carefully consider the selection of shades, so that they are well combined. For example, it is possible to glue a part of the wall near the floor with a canvas with a vertical pattern, and above - plain or with small ornament wallpaper. The combination of these types of wallpaper is made baguette, selected in accordance with the design of the entire room.
To draw attention to the picture on the canvas, you can use a variety of moldings, panels and applications. So you can create an individual, unique design in your corridor.
If you have a long and narrow corridor, different wallpapers on opposite walls will look beautiful, subject to the combination of color and pattern.
For example, on one wall will be wallpaper in the form of a vegetative ornament on a greenish background, and on the other - a canvas with vertical beige stripes. You will be able to visually expand the room with this option finishes.
If in a long corridor a wall near the entrance is covered with dark wallpaper with an ornament,the opposite is made with brighter wallpaper, and at the junction to build an arch or to trim panels, then such a corridor will look shorter. So you can get two different functional areas.
It is possible to combine finishing materials of different colors in the same way — decorate the entrance area with a dark color, and then lighten it using a gradient and make a gradual transition, for example, from dark green to light green.
It is best to place the wallpaper on the far from the entrance walls of the corridor. If they are made in warm shades, then the space will seem shifted, and if in the cold, then the space will have a panoramic view.
If the wallpaper is small in size on one side of the corridor to arrange in a frame, then you can get a picture. If this picture depicts a landscape with a long real perspective, it will visually deepen the space and will be an excellent decoration for the interior of the room.
If there is a pantry in a narrow corridor, then it is better to remove the door to it and make an opening in the form of an arch. Having finished an opening with suitable wall-paper, it is possible to expand space visually.
One more the way to expand the corridor will be the use of mirrors. In long rooms, you can use fairly large mirrors, and in shorter ones, you can use several small ones that give the illusion of unusual space.
Properly selected wallpaper will help transform your narrow corridor into a wider space and make it more comfortable, bright and beautiful room.
When you design a corridor or hallway, remember that they are part of your apartment and should not stand out from the general stylistic decision. If all these rules are observed, the corridor will give the owners comfort and aesthetic pleasure, and the guests will have warm memories from visiting your home.
How to choose wallpaper in the hallway, see the next video.