Tambour design in a private house
The platform is necessary in any private house. Many do not pay enough attention to this small room, believing that the vestibule is suitable only for storing clothes and shoes, but this is not so. It is very important to avoid drafts, additionally warm the front door and minimize the ingress of street dust directly into the house. In addition, the design of this room is also important: since the vestibule usually takes up minimal space, its decoration should be simple and concise. At the same time, it will be as comfortable as possible to furnish the vestibule, because it is in this space that you get right from the doorway.
Types of platforms
Tambours in front of the house do not always put, but recently they have become increasingly popular. To save money, vestibules are made in the form of frame extensions that have a polycarbonate base, and the more expensive option is a brick extension, which is also often done for large houses.This space is important in order to minimize the penetration of cold air and dust into the living space. At the same time, tambours are very diverse.
Consider the following options:
- Tambour-hallway - This is the most common option. In this case, there is no need for an additional hallway directly in the house - very often it is not done at all. Thus, this platform allows you to save space - this would be an ideal option for small-sized houses in which each square meter you want to use as efficiently as possible. In such a space you can place a small wardrobe, hooks, shelves for shoes and a mirror. Good lighting is important for maximum convenience.
Good lighting is important for maximum convenience.
- Tambour veranda or combined with a balcony - This is usually a fairly spacious room with large windows that can be used for outdoor recreation. There is often a small table, a bench, miniature lockers for storage, and on the window sills you can grow seedlings or houseplants.To maintain a comfortable temperature, it is better to make double glazed windows and a warmed entrance door. Such a layout is often chosen in spacious private homes or in cottages.
- Tambour-canopy often done in homes: a similar option involves the use of space for household needs. This is the usual insulated porch, where they usually store everything necessary for gardening, repairs and cleaning the house. However, even such a space can be stylishly decorated, spreading all the necessary things in the cabinets.
Finishing and materials
The decoration of the vestibule can be very different - everything will depend on your budget, the design of the exterior of the house, and also on the need to seriously warm the vestibule or simply avoid drafts. Materials for the vestibule can be varied - consider all the options and determine Which is the best fit for your home:
- Plastic tambour - This is a fairly economical option that is often done for middle-class homes. The walls in this case are assembled from PVC panels - this material is quite durable and resistant to changes in weather conditions. It is not difficult even to assemble such a tambour yourself.At the same time, it is very important to warm it. This can be done by upholstering the walls with additional insulation - the cheapest and most traditional option is felt, however, there are more modern insulation materials.
- Brick tambour for a brick house it will look the most harmonious, and also prove to be the most durable and practical of all possible options - such a structure will stand for decades, will be able to protect the internal space from wind and cold. The brick should be chosen according to the color of the house, so that the vestibule would fit into the main structure of the building. Tambour brick always looks good and often does not even require additional finishing from the inside, which is one of the absolute advantages.
Tambour brick always looks good and often does not even require additional finishing from the inside, which is one of the absolute advantages.
- Glass Tambour often made for use as a veranda. You can make fully open glass walls and the ceiling on the frame. Such a project would be expensive - especially when you consider that all glass must be insulated for a comfortable stay inside in cold weather.At the same time, such an unusual design decision is definitely worth the money: you will get an excellent view of the courtyard and be able to feel part of nature, and indoor plants will feel great in this vestibule. One possible problem may be the need for regular wet cleaning to keep the glass clear.
- Wooden tambour most characteristic of the same wooden houses. However, you can decorate a tree outside or inside any option - for example, from brick or plastic. Wood is not the most practical material, on average, such locks have to be repaired in 10-12 years. At the same time, the tree can look excellent, it leaves a lot of room for imagination: you can make carved decorations, varnish the boards or paint them in any color. The tree will perfectly fit into the design in the style of country and will allow you to fully feel yourself a part of nature.
Determine the size
Many refuse from the vestibule for the reason that in a small-sized house it will take too much space that you want to use as economically and efficiently as possible.However, the vestibule may take not so much space as it seems. Consider the following popular sizes and decide how much you need a spacious vestibule:
- The minimum depth of the vestibule is considered to be 1.4 m, and the width should be only 1 m. For many owners of small economy-class houses, it seems that the smallest vestibule is the best solution, although this is not always the case. In a more spacious vestibule, you can place functional cabinets and shelves, and, with the minimum size of the vestibule, it will take up space without performing any practical function.
Therefore, such a porch porch should be made more likely in a spacious house, where there is an opportunity to make a separate entrance hall and veranda.
- For maximum space saving fit medium size lobby with a width of 3-4 m. In this space, you can easily equip the hallway: you can put a small closet, place open wall shelves or shelves for shoes, hang hooks for outerwear and put a mirror. Thus, inside the house itself in the hallway will not be necessary.
- Spacious vestibules in private houses more than 5 m wide the owners are often equipped as a veranda. It is especially good if there is a large window in the vestibule or it is possible to make a mirror wall. With good insulation, such a vestibule will become a favorite place for breakfast or dinner in a small family. It is enough to put a small table and a few chairs.
Tambour do it yourself
If desired, the tambour can be built even with your own hands. It is an ordinary extension to a private house. If the house has a porch, the task is much simpler - you just need to enclose it with walls. If there is no porch, you need to do the foundation and the floor: if you have never been involved in construction, it’s worth attracting professionals otherwise, such an extension may squint or collapse in just a few years.
When creating a vestibule in place of the porch, it is important to initially draft the project correctly. Consider the following nuances:
- The walls of the vestibule can be made of a wide variety of materials. It can be wood, brick or PVC. It is easiest to work with PVC, although brick and wooden walls can also be made with your own hands.
- Install walls of wood or PVC should be on the frame. It can be made of wood or metal rods. If you can not work with welding, you will suit the wooden version.
- For insulation, the inner surface of the walls should be sheathed with felt or modern materials that retain heat. Then the walls can be finished with drywall, paint or stick wallpaper.
- If there is an opportunity, it is worth making a vestibule with a window - this will be especially useful for a spacious vestibule. In this case, if you want to make glazing with double-glazed windows, which will not let the cold air through, you will have to turn to professionals for this.
- The plan should be developed taking into account how the annex is located in relation to the house. For example, you may have a house with a side or side vestibule. Think about how to enter the house comfortably from the street, but also about how the hallway will affect the appearance of the house. If you have a one-story house with a separate vestibule, you do not need to build it too wide. It is important that the extension looks harmonious.
- Think in advance about the lighting room. If you have a very small vestibule or a variant with a window, one lamp will be enough. For spacious extensions need bright light from one or more sources.This is especially important if you are going to use the vestibule as a hallway.
Master class on the construction of the platform, see below.
Tambour's interior design
Many people neglect interesting design solutions in the vestibule, not considering it as a full-fledged part of the house. At the same time, the situation at the threshold of the dwelling is very important - this is what from the very entrance to the house will allow you to feel comfort. Almost any design can be made inside the vestibule - everything will depend on the layout, the purpose of the room, and also on your tastes.
Ceiling decoration is usually not very diverse. Most often it is simply covered with white plaster, less often - make suspended ceilings. Sometimes the ceiling in the vestibule can be horizontal, and sometimes it is left in the shape of a triangular roof - both of these options can look good.
In a spacious vestibule, some place lamps around the perimeter of the ceiling, but are usually limited to one light source.
The floor can be trimmed very differently. Consider the following options:
- Some people prefer to leave the floor concrete, but in this case it will always be cold: you should lay a carpet and walk only in shoes.
- Linoleum is an inexpensive option that will allow to finish the floor, and to lay it on oneself is not difficult at all. At the same time, in the vestibule of a private house, this option is often not very practical, linoleum is quickly scratched and torn.
- Instead of linoleum, you can put a quality laminate. It will look better, will last longer, and will also be warmer. In addition, now you can find a laminate with a very interesting design - for example, multi-colored or monotonous versions that imitate wood, as well as models with prints and ornaments.
- Parquet is a fairly expensive coating that is rarely made in the vestibule. At the same time, it can look great, serve for decades, and also allow you to feel closer to nature - this is an excellent option for connoisseurs of country style.
- Many make tiles on the floor. It may look very interesting, because the choice of modern options for tiles is extremely large. In addition, the same tile you can overlay and stairs, which will make the design more solid and harmonious.
The greatest scope for fantasy leaves the design of the walls. There are a variety of options available - it all depends on your preferences and layout:
- Wallpapers are used quite rarely - they can quickly peel off from the contrast of temperatures, so they are suitable only for temporary finishing.
- The easiest way to beautifully decorate the walls in the room - just paint them. If the walls are perfectly smooth, you can apply a thin layer of paint just on the plaster, and it will look good. If the walls are not made perfectly, you can give them a texture - now there are techniques of embossed paint application with strokes or splashes - this will help to make minor defects imperceptible.
Paint should choose a dark or pastel colors - depending on the area. White walls should not be done, because they will quickly get dirty, and also designers recommend to give up bright colors in a small room.
- You can make an interesting tile finish. Especially popular now are the options that imitate brick or masonry. In a brick house, a similar design will look very harmonious.
To furnish a beautiful and cozy vestibule, you need quite a bit of furniture and accessories. At the same time, the situation should depend on the footage and the destination of your vestibule. Consider the following ideas:
- If you want to equip the space under the hallway, definitely need a closet. Many take models with mirrored doors to further save space. You can also look at the corner cabinets - they are often very spacious and help to competently use all the available space.
- If you need to store a lot of things in the vestibule, but you do not want to put them on public display, a hanging mezzanine can be useful to you.
- For the vestibule veranda need a small table. Usually choose options from a tree, however recently glass and stained glass models gain popularity also.
- Carpet in the vestibule will give the room additional comfort. In this case, since you will walk on the floor in outdoor shoes, the carpet of textiles will constantly have to be washed. Instead, you can consider the fashionable now mat - they come in a variety of colors and sizes.
- In a warm room with good lighting, you can put a few indoor plants - they definitely give extra space to the space.
- If space is limited, try to keep all accessories functional - it could be a housekeeper, coat hooks,Caskets for storing small parts. From purely decorative elements you will suit paintings that do not take up much space.
- If the vestibule is spacious, you can afford more decorative elements - for example, vases or sculptures can fit in almost any interior.