Design a corridor in a private house
The design of the corridor in a private house is very important for the formation of an integral image of your home. First, the entrance hall is part of the corridor, it “sets the mood” for the whole interior. Secondly, the corridor itself stylistically often connects the first and second floor. Thirdly, in the corridor there is a staircase, the design of which deserves special attention. In other words, it is impossible to underestimate this premise during the renovation.
Interior design features
A corridor in a private house is an opportunity for the owners to apply various architectural and design techniques that are unsuitable for a single-level apartment:
- With sufficiently high ceilings, steps can be made to demarcate zones. This option is well suited for rooms with complex configuration.
- Creative design will turn the ladder into the center of attention of guests.You can trim the stairs and railings with almost any materials, in accordance with the chosen style.
- In a large niche, you can arrange a bookcase or wardrobe, a sofa or table decorated with a vase of flowers.
- In the spacious hallway arched openings successfully accommodate. Do not forget that the shape of the opening can be any: round, semi-circular, wavy, zigzag. It is also possible to add shelves to the arch or to decorate with stained glass.
- “Play” with a ladder - the space under it can be turned into a shelving unit or a wardrobe.
- Decide on the furniture: whether it will be a separate wardrobe, chest of drawers, a stool with a bedside table, a bench or a finished hallway. Keep in mind that the chest at the very end of the corridor will visually add volume to the room. Also work compositions of paintings or photographs.
- In matters of lighting, give preference to spotlights mounted in the ceiling. Also a good solution would be to organize a multi-level lighting system, for example, a pair of chandeliers and a few wall lights.
- As accessories, use paintings, mirrors, photographs and figurines.But do not overload the space with furniture and other interior items - the path will be a few catchy details.
- Do not forget that the width of the passage should be at least 90 centimeters. Under these conditions, you can safely move on it. To visually expand a narrow room, use diagonal or transverse styling.
- The division of space into separate sectors is most often carried out by applying various materials of floor or wall covering. However, they should all be combined with each other, which is on the first floor of the second floor, and the stairs should be a link between them.
Read more - in the video.
- The cold vestibule is the space between the entrance door and the residential part of the house. In principle, it can be used as a hallway and place a closet or coat rack, galoshnit and a small bench here. Naturally, in this case, the room should be insulated. You can also convert the vestibule into a utility room for storing any household or outdoor items: shovels, hoses, carts, bicycles, children's toys. In wooden houses, the chain space is often equipped with windows and has a large area, so you can organize a covered veranda here.
In order for the room to look solid, you need to be responsible for its design: the decoration should be combined with the selected furniture. In addition, a beautiful corridor should also fit into the overall design of the house. If you want to make it neutral, then you should arrange it in bright colors. Whiten the ceiling and cover the floor with something practical: laminate, linoleum or parquet. The walls can be finished with fine-grained plaster, wood panels or wallpaper without prints and three-dimensional patterns.
If you need to equip the corridor with bright and eye-catching material, then use more interesting options. For walls, use liquid wallpaper with additions or embossed vinyl wallpaper. Choose the ceiling mounted or tension, with the necessary space, you can build a multi-tiered structure. Decorate the floor tiles or panels that mimic the stone.
The walls of the corridor in a private house are subjected to a large load: they are exposed to dust, dirt, moisture, and mechanical damage is also possible. Therefore, selecting the material for registration, think about how you will clean it, and how much it will be able to serve you.
It is not recommended to use expensive textile and ordinary paper wallpaper - they are not too durable. However, if you stopped on this form, keep in mind that vertical stripes can increase the height of the ceiling, and horizontal - to lengthen the room. With large drawings or photographs you need to be careful. First, to look, whether the space of the room allows, and, secondly, this element does not look too pretentious. Also be careful with the horizontal zoning of the corridor.
Of course, it is better to buy a durable and preferably washable material. Experts recommend:
- Vinyl wallpapersthat wash. Possess a wide palette of shades and are easy to glue.
- Liquid wallpaper. Usually, after varnishing, they can be easily cleaned with a vacuum cleaner or a damp cloth. With their help, it is very convenient to decorate arches, niches and other complex surfaces. In addition, liquid wallpaper in itself - the material is very interesting and eye-catching.
- Paint - The easiest way, suitable only for smooth walls.
- Decorative plaster - durable enough material. Easy to apply, easy to clean.
- Furniture panels from MDF and PVC - with their help, walls are made very quickly, but effectively. There are three types: sheet, tiled square and raked panels. With their help, the apron is often laid out from the floor to the middle of the wall, and the remaining space is covered with paint or glued with moisture-resistant wallpaper.
- Lining. If you decide to sheathe walls with clapboard, then reduce the level of noise coming from the street, and ensure yourself with eco-friendly decor. The decoration of the corridor with decorative eurolining will add to the room coziness and comfort.
For a floor it is worth choosing strong, resistant material which it is easy to look after:
- Linoleum - one of the most popular options. It is cheap, it is very easy to care for it, but some models are simply unable to withstand the constant impact of heels and stilettos. You can place it in the back of the corridor, but something else is needed for the entrance area.
- Choosing as flooring laminate, make sure that it is moisture resistant and extremely durable. It is recommended to treat the joints with moisture-resistant grout.
- Tile - reliable and convenient design option.If you want ceramic tiles, choose porcelain stoneware, which is stronger and more reliable than usual and protected from slipping. However, it is stone tiles that are considered to be the most reliable and durable coating, albeit with a high cost.
- Deciding combine multiple materials, arrange them as follows: at the front door - tile, and on the remaining segments - laminate or linoleum.
Finishing the ceiling in the corridor is carried out in the same way as in the other rooms and nothing special stands out. Rely on your choice. It is also worth remembering that there are three options: to make a suspended ceiling (from plastic panels or drywall), to make a stretch ceiling (giving a smooth and smooth surface) or to choose a method of finishing. Finishing is carried out by painting, whitewashing, gluing wallpaper, applying plaster or tile.
Repair the corridor in a private house is quite realistic to do on their own.
Simple design solutions
It is believed that the corridor from the hallway should be decorated in the same style as the other rooms. Still "technical"non-residential status of these spaces allows you to add a bit of experiment and original solutions. But in any case, the selected colors should fit organically into the design of the house.
- Making a classic interior, as a decor element, you can use the carpet noble shade.
- A long, elongated corridor can be visually shortened if the far wall is painted in saturated, bright or dark tones, and the sides are left “light” and light.
- Corridors in the shape of a semicircle are drawn up in muted tones, as the rich tones look too intrusive.
- If a room has a complex shape (the letter “T”, the letter “P” or zigzag), then it is worth isolating part of the common corridor and creating separate, independent passages. As a rule, they are made in contrasting colors.
- If your house has a spacious corridor in the shape of a square, then it can be turned into a hall in English or classical style. Use light paints, stucco decorations and sconces in the form of candlesticks.
- In the large corridor you can place a small seating area: a sofa or a couple of chairs, a coffee table, floor lamps and decorative items.Also here is a good place to read and even a bar.
- Narrow console tables do not take up much space, but perform a dual function: aesthetic and utilitarian, acting as supports for objects. You can also diversify the corridor with the help of shelves with books and decor. Choose suspended, floating or built-in models. They are available in different sizes and can be installed one above the other.
- Emphasis using bright carpet, stucco on the ceiling or patterns on the walls will make the corridor more interesting without buying fancy furniture.
- A large entrance hall and a wide corridor will allow you to take unexpected steps: install a sink to be able to wash your hands after gardening work, or organize yourself a working space with a desk.
- One of the most popular techniques in corridor design is playing on contrasts. For example, you can choose a light background and bright accents, dark walls and light furniture or the same black and white space.