Wall tiles in the hallway: unusual ideas
The corridor is the central "axis" of the apartment. This is the first room where the tenants or guests get. For the first impression of your apartment to remain positive, you need to make an effort and make the corridor look attractive.
A corridor is a room where there is the greatest throughput and, besides the decorative component, it is necessary to think about the practicality of this room. Think about it, especially if you have animals or small children who often spoil the walls. Universal material for repair is tile. In this article we will talk about how you can use tiles to decorate the walls in the corridor.
Types and features
As a material for wall decoration, tiles have long been used not only in bathrooms, but also in other rooms. Currently, a huge variety of attractive finishing materials is being produced, which is very popular with designers, craftsmen and repair customers. The walls revetted with high-quality tiles are not inferior in strength to concrete, and for a long time they retain a flawless appearance. These properties are achieved by a method of manufacturing a finishing material using high temperatures.
The material has a high density, which gives it increased moisture resistance and frost resistance.
There are two classes for which piece tiles are made:
- Class A - made by a special technology, has a flat, flat surface and sharp, well-defined edges.
- Class B - is formed under the press and has not very clear dimensions and shapes.
Finishing material is different in its ability to absorb water.
According to this indicator, the tile is divided into 4 classes:
- Class I - less than 3%.
- Class II A - 3-6%.
- Class II B - 6-10%.
- Class III - more than 10%.
All these data you can read on the packaging of the material.For washing the finishing material used various synthetic tools that can be aggressive and spoil the tile. To determine its stability, the material is labeled with the letters: A, AA, B, C, D. The degree of resistance varies from the most resistant (A) to the most unstable (D).
Special signs are applied on the packages: wall tiles differ from the floor by hand painting on it.
Tiles differ in surface type:
- Glossy - with a smooth surface that perfectly reflects light. Care for such tiles should be regular due to the fact that it is clearly visible dust and stains;
- Matt - in the care easier and gives the room more comfort and warmth;
- Embossed - can have both glossy and matte appearance and is complemented by an embossed pattern.
Depending on the material, the tile is:
- Ceramic. It is one of the most used finishing materials. Differs small price, reliability and unpretentiousness, great choice. It is used mainly for kitchens, bathrooms, industrial premises.
- Porcelain. Durable high stability material with smooth surface.Outwardly looks like glass, does not glaze. Suitable for kitchens and bathrooms. Due to the various finishing elements has a wide application in various designs.
- Porcelain stoneware. It has a high resistance. Externally similar to a variety of natural materials. Suitable for facing living rooms.
- Mirror. It looks impressive, but it is better to use it in combination with other textures. Not suitable for rooms with high humidity.
- Majolica. Italian tiles of small size are made of clay sand fraction. Has the increased durability thanks to double roasting. On the front side glaze is applied.
- Teralya. For the production of valuable clay with the addition of sand and flux. This tile is also subjected to double firing. High quality of this finishing material affects its increased demand.
- Cotto. Like the previous one, it is made of valuable breeds of clay, high-strength, of excellent quality. Externally matte, without the use of glaze. Due to its properties it is mainly used in wet rooms.
- Clinker. Due to its strength it is very durable.It is made at high temperature and has a high moisture resistance. Suitable for use in different rooms.
Corridors and hallways may be exposed to dust, dirt, and moisture. Therefore, facing these walls with ceramic tiles and ceramic granite will be the most suitable for these rooms. These materials are characterized by increased wear resistance and resistance to dirt.
Among the wide variety of ceramic tiles you can choose one that is suitable not only for bathrooms and kitchens, but also for corridors. It can be highly artistic products with unusual textures under silk, wood, silver, gold, leather or metal. Finishing materials for corridors and hallways should have excellent performance indicators. Such characteristics correspond to the materials with single or double firing.
Ceramic tile belongs to environmentally friendly materials and it can be used both for walls and floor.
It has the following advantages:
- creative space for the designer;
- wear resistance;
- duration of operation;
- resistance to different temperatures;
- moisture resistance;
- easy care of the surface.
Ceramic tiles look very impressive in combination with Venetian plaster, which imitates natural stones.
This combination is most suitable for corridors with high ceilings. If the corridor is small, then finishing material for silk is well suited. This tile will give the room softness and visually increase it. The modern style is perfect tile of large sizes, which imitates marble.
The decoration of the corridors is not practiced solely by ceramic tiles, much more often the decoration is complemented with stone or tiles in the form of sandstone and limestone. Such facing looks much more expensive and more interesting. For example, you can tile the stone doorways.
Stone will look good with a laminate coating. But you need to be careful with the color: it should not be dark, because of this the corridor will look gloomy. Stone wall decoration is well suited to eco-friendly style, which uses natural materials.
The artificial stone imitates natural and belongs to modern materials on a composite basis. Outwardly, such a stone cannot always be distinguished from the present. Since its weight is insignificant, this is one of the advantages for its use in wall decoration.
Other advantages are durability and environmental safety, as it is made from gypsum.
The disadvantages of artificial stone is the high price and thickness of the material. In order not to reduce the space of the corridor when working with artificial stone, place point accents. Stone lay out only the lower parts of the wall, where more wear or doorways. Proper use of decorative stone will give your corridor originality and beauty.
The main advantages of decorative stone are:
- High moisture resistance, as the stone is covered with a protective layer.
- Practicality and ease of care. It will be necessary to periodically wipe the coating with a wet or dry cloth.
- High wear resistance.
- Prolonged operation with proper care.
- Easy installation work.
- Resistance to temperature changes.
- Fire safety.
Clinker produced by firing clay at high temperature. Previously, such material was used only for exterior decoration of buildings, now they are used for internal premises. A wall lined with clinker bricks is well suited not only to the loft style, but also to any other, if skillfully combined with other elements of the decor.
How to choose?
Before choosing a wall tile for the corridor, you need to decide what material texture will suit you best. It should be noted that the glossy surface visually expands the space, and the matte reduces it. Finishing materials should not be annoying and be excessively bright, it is much better if they cause a feeling of comfort and home comfort.
White convex tiles are classic, but they are more suitable for bathrooms, and in the hallway they will not look at all. An exception will be the case when you need to visually enlarge a small space, moreover, the white color is perfectly combined with other colors.
When choosing a color, consider the overall stylistic decision of the interior. If your interior of the corridor is designed in a calm, natural style, you can purchase tiles “under the tree”.For eco style you can choose tiles of beige or green shades, but not monophonic, but with a natural ornament.
If you are fans of the Asian style, you can buy tiles with oriental ornaments: beautiful plants, exotic fruits, animals and birds. All this variety is distinguished by bright, juicy colors with a predominance of gold and turquoise hues, which in the East are very fond of and refer to the signs of luxury and wealth. This style is best used for small corridors.
If you like to impress guests, you can purchase unusual material and make, for example, a hallway with a blue wall of tiles "under the skin."
The cost of finishing materials varies greatly, any person will be able to choose the right product according to their financial capabilities. The tile of the Russian and Belarusian production costs not much, more expensive Spanish, Italian, German. You can buy unique products from Eastern countries.
In conclusion, I want to say that the tile is considered one of the most successful options for finishing the walls of the corridor. The proposed variety of textures and colors gives a great choice for your creativity to create a cozy andbeautiful room.
Review the facing tiles on the wall in the corridor, see the following video.