The combination of tiles and laminate in the hallway
Modern floor tiling is like art. It is important to choose the material correctly for practical reasons. At the same time, aesthetic perception is no less significant: the floor should be attractive in appearance, fitting in with the style of the interior.
Unusual design techniques such as the combination of tile and laminate are in fashion. This decision is especially important for the hallway - the place where the floor is most exposed to moisture and dirt.
Pros and cons of combinations
Today, the approach to the design of the floor is more demanding than before. The floor should be attractive, reliable, easy to clean and perfectly preserve the beauty of the look. Tile and laminate look good together, and it is difficult to choose the best type of material for the hallway: this room at home requires very strong flooring.
After all, parquet or parquet boards are rather weak types of finishes: they can not be wiped with a damp cloth, they are afraid of the effects of detergents, quickly lose their appeal with the daily cleaning of the floor.
The combination of tile and laminate can be called the golden mean in the design of the floor.
This lining performs several functions:
- it allows you to zone the hallway space, contributing to the organization of each site;
- through it, you can beat the lack of usable space, visually increasing the space;
- the lining method allows for areas with greater permeability to choose a more durable material resistant to abrasion and weight load;
- she can make the flooring fashionable, pleasant and homely, imitating a different type of surface (including creating the appearance of carpets that make the atmosphere of the room cozy);
- to bring into its interior a highlight, gathering together the scattered objects of the existing situation.
At first glance, it seems that the two materials are quite different and noticeably differ in performance characteristics.
However, practice proves: the combination of tile and laminate - a combination of reliability, quality and durability.
Both materials used are high quality floor finishes.Their combination is a bold and fashionable design technique.
Such facing has a lot of advantages, as it:
- relevant in different types of premises (residential apartments, country houses, cottages, offices, studios, industrial premises);
- blends harmoniously into a different style of interior, regardless of direction, whether classical, modern or ethnic;
- can tie together different types of finishes in all rooms of a dwelling (for example, when tiles are used in the kitchen for the floor and laminate in the bedroom);
- Often it allows to save the family budget: if the hallway area is small, you can use the remnants of the material after facing other rooms;
- It is an excellent solution to the design of the flooring in any interior, allowing you to extend the operation of the floor and simplify its repair, if the case requires it;
- allows you to correctly calculate the level of load on the floor surface, using material resistant to moisture, water and abrasive substances in places of the greatest load;
- brings style to boring interiors, made in a single color scheme, paying attention to the sophistication of the design solution;
- is hygienic lining, harmless to users;
- allows the purchase of the correct amount without waste and adding material to the marriage, allowing, if necessary, change the design of the floor covering.
Both materials are convenient in that they make it possible to perform the facing of the design features of the room (projections) without problems. If you wish, you can always buy raw materials, taking into account the available budget and your own preferences, because often the material does not need much. By the way, this factor facilitates transportation.
In addition, it is worth noting the quality of the finished lining: laying tile and laminate provides a smooth surface, so the type of floor is always impeccable.
This combination has several disadvantages.
The choice of materials should be deliberate. Not every mix is worthy of attention and admiration. Sometimes the problem lies in the selection of raw materials. For example, the laminate is more limited in color, the tile to it is selected taking into account the texture and the correct thickness. If you approach the selection based on external characteristics, the flooring may differ in the level of its location, which may deprive it of its attractiveness.
Reasonableness of design matters. The process of decorating the floor is quite time-consuming: it is important to calculate each tile fragment, its location relative to the intended pattern.
If you do the design “at random”, the room risks becoming not just asymmetrical: it can “leave” to the side, having a bias. Long preparation is a small but a minus. Not everyone will like the execution of the drawing with the application of each piece of the pattern, its fitting to the seams.
Joints - a sore subject of repair. They are the weak point of the flooring. In addition to sticking basic materials and pre-surface preparation, it is necessary to take care of high-quality raw materials for joining. Frequent cleaning can gradually wash out the grout, and the connecting structures are often broken out with constant mechanical action.
What materials to choose?
It should be borne in mind that not every type of material is suitable for work. This is especially true of the laminate, which is classified according to the degree of relevance in a particular type of room. For example, for living rooms manufacturers offer 21, 22, 23 material classes, for commercial premises 31, 32, 33 classes are provided.The first varieties are simpler, not so durable, their structure is less dense, so this finish is enough for no more than 5 years. The second types are more expensive, although their operational characteristics are higher: such material is designed for 15 years of intensive service.
It is necessary to choose a moisture resistant laminate, made by a special production technology. It is resistant to moisture and contact with water.
Such material can be used in rooms with high humidity. It is important that his class be at least 31: so it will correspond to the level of strength of the tile and will not be erased before it.
Choosing a tile is equally important. It should be outdoor: this material is much stronger than tile, the technology for making the ceramic version differs from the usual counterpart for the kitchen. Porcelain is created by molding and pressing under high pressure. Both types can be chosen: they are hygienic, wear-resistant, durable and durable. Masters believe that porcelain tiles are even better than tiles.
The only drawback of both materials is cold, although today technology allows some materials to be combined with a warm floor system.
The entrance hall is somewhat limited in terms of combination, which is explained by the clear distribution of the degree of shock load on the flooring. The patchwork technique is excluded: this way the space will be broken into pieces, bringing a sense of disorder into the corridor.
The transition can be made from room to corridor, connecting the joint of materials with a molding that overlaps the connection, securely holds two materials and gives the flooring a monolithic look.
In order not to doubt how to properly stack (along or across), it is worth considering the features of the hallway.
The design of the combination of textures depends on the skill of the master: if there is no experience, it is better to combine the materials through clear straight lines. Laying can be like an apron of tile or laminate, framed by contrast. If the skill allows, the stacking lines can be bent or turned, moving to another room or a narrow corridor. Of course, this finish is more difficult to do than lay linoleum, but it eliminates the need for additional floor mats, masking the surface of the floor covering or protecting it from abrasion.
It is important to keep in mind: it is not necessary to select the perfect shade of tile and laminate. First, it will not be possible to do this, since the slightest discrepancy will be in any case by two or three tones. Secondly, this technique makes the floor dull, unattractive. Thirdly, the texture, which is different in any case, will be lost against the background of a common color spot.
In order not to wrestle with how best to choose a shade and make a stylish design method for facing a floor, you should consider three basic ways of combining tiles and linoleum:
The mix of shades of the same color range is an inconspicuous version of the floor covering with an emphasis solely on functionality, excluding the accentuation of space.
It can be about the same light or dark tones that do not contrast with each other:
- universal (light wood + gray, beige + coffee with milk, sand + caramel);
- bleached with gray and beige (white + arctic, light gray, marble gray + bleached, pale sand + diluted khaki);
- honey and chocolate tones (golden + beige, chocolate + dark beige, brown-gray + gray).
The success of the choice is the simultaneous purchase of two materials: it is better to see how they approach each other.
If the question of choice is open, and tile laying is no longer tolerable, it is better to buy a finish in the color of coffee with milk in one tone or with a texture under a stone. Any type of laminate will suit this tile.
A technique in which one shade is much lighter than another is the most popular. It's easier to pick two tones, especially if they are both neutral. This will further furnish the hallway with any furniture and accessories. In this case, it does not make sense to go to extremes, stopping the choice on the “black and white” solution, which has a spreading effect.
It is better to choose such contrasts:
- textured with light (brown + pale gray, cream, vanilla, beige) or saturated with khaki or marble gray;
- dark wenge with vanilla, zebrano with beige, bright brown with sandy or golden;
- Mocha + honey, light gray wood + marsh granite, white laminate and sandstone.
Imitation and drawing
In this case, the combination implies a bright pattern of tiles and a muted tone of the laminate.The reception is divided into two groups: the use of pattern and wood, marble texture, as well as a combination of texture and plain tiles.
The most interesting color solutions are combinations:
- terracotta and sand, dark beige and red-brick (a great solution for dark rooms);
- bleached beige with coral, powdery, peach;
- cold beige with diluted turquoise, purple.
For harmony, you can use a pattern in which one of the shades matches the color of the laminate. However, it is important to consider: there should not be too much support for one tone: this way a shade can merge into a single spot.
There are no restrictions if the creative designer takes over. He is able to combine the incompatible so that the combination of materials looks appropriate, demonstrating a commitment to any style.
If you take the ideas of professionals as a basis, you can perform this facing in the style of:
- high tech;
- Art Deco;
The main thing for a successful solution is to take into account the furnishings: sometimes they complete the interior composition in the right way.
In the choice of style, color and texture are important: in some cases, the interior requires haze and nobility, some modern trends breathe simplicity, ethnic styles need a vintage tone.
Since the laminate tends to swell with prolonged contact of the back side with water, it is important to provide protection against moisture ingress into the installation seams. To protect the designer coating from water, you need to process the seams with a layer of mastic with a protective wax.
In addition, it is worth taking note of several recommendations:
- When buying a laminate, choose the material on the locks: it is more practical than the glue version, if necessary it is easy to disassemble and redo it;
- Pay attention to the thickness of the laminate: a figure of 12 mm is preferable (it is more expensive, but the locking system will be more reliable);
- Do not take a smooth glossy material: it is slippery, soiled and shows any contamination (more practical matte surfaces);
- To combine the two materials without the floor level difference, you can use special powders made of metal, plastic or cork substrate;
- bending contrasts is appropriate if such lines are present in the design of the walls or ceiling.
Experts recommend to pay special attention to the quality of finishes.Purchase must be carried out in a reputable store with a good reputation: so the risk of purchasing low-quality raw materials is excluded.
When choosing a tile, pay attention to that all the fragments are from the same batch: this will relieve the floor covering of different shades and make the finish monolithic. In addition, calibration and checking for the presence of chips is important: defects in material can cause a drop in the level of two surfaces.
Hallway floor design
To understand what is the combination of tile and laminate in the interior of the hallway, you can look at the zoning of experienced designers:
- the combination of solar tiles and brown laminate with the texture of the board, decorated with a rounded line and complemented by a carpet at the threshold in the same shade with the laminate, looks original;
- the interior in brown and beige colors will sparkle in a new way, if you make a rug from a small beige soft tile decorated with a floral ornament on the threshold;
- you can accent ethnic interior by using bright color contrasts: you can zone the space with a clear straight line, decorate the threshold with a tile with an ornament, connecting it with a laminate of a dark shade;
- if there is no experience, and the experiment simply delays, you can put a tile at the threshold by a ladder: it is easier to carry out the work by combining two neutral shades by molding or sills;
- the transition of materials may extend to other rooms: the tracks from the tile on the beige background of the laminate look original;
- interesting is the combined method of smoothing the interior decor: the contrast of white and beige finishes dilutes the dark spots of the room, making it softer with a curved line.
The combination of tile and laminate in the hallway is a stylish method of finishing the floor. This is evidenced by reviews left on the Internet. Those who have made such a veneer, say: this decor floor looks elegant and comfortable, it is unusual and attracts attention. In addition, it is noted in the comments that such finishing is practical: if necessary, the floor can always be wiped with a damp cloth, removing any contamination.
For details on how to properly make the joint between tile and laminate, see the video.