Wall decoration options in the hallway
Repair the hallway is not complete without wall cladding, which are among the most vulnerable places of the home. They suffer in the case of mechanical damage, moisture, water, pollution, as well as from children's creativity or the claws of pets. The choice of finishing material should take into account a number of factors by which the best and practical option is determined. To do this, we must study the features and advantages of each type of decorative design of the hallway walls.
The hallway always speaks eloquently about the owners of the apartment or house. She points to their taste preferences, demonstrates well-being, often reveals household habits.It is important that this room creates the right view, although the corridor's decor options are often limited: the room does not have enough light, in most cases it does not have enough space, and it must accommodate a maximum of items needed by each household. Knowing this, the decoration of the hallway should be special.
It is not so much a decorative decision as a combination of beauty and practicality, a decoration tool, through which the aesthetic perception of space is changed.
Finishing the hallway is functional, its main tasks are:
- unobtrusive organization and division of the area into separate functional areas;
- maintaining the practicality of the walls through the use of raw materials that are resistant to regular care (including detergents);
- a visual increase in space, its presentation in a favorable light;
- distraction from the unsightly design features of the room;
- Demonstration of the correspondence of stylistics to current fashion trends;
- creating a homely atmosphere.
The facing material used in the finishing of the walls of the hallway is diverse.Due to the wide range presented to the sale of famous brands, the lining has a lot of advantages.
Depending on the type of material, the quantity used, it:
- it is made according to modern technologies with professional equipment, which improves the quality and practical characteristics of each type;
- in any line has a lot of collection materials, through which you can convey the uniqueness of the texture, its relief, relevance in a particular style;
- differs in a wide choice of color schemes, allowing harmonious integration of materials into any method of design;
- allows you to finish the walls with modern materials, while choosing any historical period, bringing the necessary notes to the atmosphere of the hallway;
- able to visually increase the height of the walls, expand them relative to each other, align a broken perspective, change the temperature background of the room;
- at the expense of the combination techniques, it allows saving on the purchase of the material, allowing the use of the remainder of the cladding after finishing other rooms of the dwelling;
- it can be performed in any reception of contrast, combining materials of different texture and composition in the decoration;
- due to the wide choice and different composition, it differs in price, which allows each buyer to finish the walls of the hallway with the material they like, taking into account taste preferences and the budget available for purchasing.
Finishing the walls of the hallway allows you to express yourself, to reveal your creative potential. This is a way to create positive emotions when entering any home. A distinctive feature of the lining is the possibility of lining their own hands. Today, almost every head of the family can do this: manufacturers offer convenient ways of finishing, which only at first glance seem difficult.
In most of them, the materials are easy to use, they are not capricious in care, it is pleasant to work with them, and the result is pleasing to the eye. This eliminates the need to call repair crews, often spoiling the material and appearance of the finish, writing off the poor performance of raw material deficiencies.
With a lot of advantages, finishing materials have disadvantages, they are:
- almost always give the cost of raw materials, so they need the right approach to the choice;
- regardless of the variety, they compare all the furnishings with themselves, forcing the furnishings to conform to the desired level;
- in any category have a classification, among which the budget varieties are the weakest and impractical;
- based on the drawbacks of the usable area, limited in the choice of dark shades, hiding the degree of illumination of the room;
- can not be fully lined with bright colors, as they are impractical, eventually get dirty and turn yellow;
- limited in the use of large prints of texture or pattern, if the space of the room is insufficient;
- in premium lines it is not always affordable, as they require, at the same time as facing the walls, the replacement of existing furniture.
We consider non-standard forms
In the decoration of the hallway are important design features. Often, the space is non-standard, may have narrow doorways, inconvenient doors. Some types of rooms are combined, so the hallway should be separated from the living room. Sometimes the border of two rooms is a small partition or the hall does not have a corridor. Other rooms have a sloping perspective, which complicates design techniques.
When finishing any detail of a non-standard form is considered.For example, in the long hallway of the Khrushchev and a spacious studio apartment, the walls are radically different. In the first case, it is important to expand the area; in the second case, it is necessary to zone the space, giving it organization. Of particular importance are the arches, protrusions and niches that impede the lining of the walls and require the correct placement of accents, so as not to be lost on the general background. In such cases, it is necessary to combine the material to simplify the finishing work.
The construction market offers a lot of finishing materials that are applicable in the decoration of the walls of the hallway. It can be lining, leather trim or a more creative coating, as well as wall decor in the form of stickers. To date, there are 9 varieties of finishing material, demanded in the decoration of the walls of the hallway, it is:
Universal budget trick, which everyone can use without special skills. Under this material refers to three types of paints: latex, acrylic and water-based. They are easy to use, they fit well on the surface prepared for painting and reduce the time for facing the walls.The disadvantages of painting are the need to dry the painted surface and the unpleasant smell that can provoke an allergic reaction in sensitive households.
It is important to consider: after painting the first time you need to protect the surface from mechanical damage.
This finish is practical and convenient, the original relief surface. It is easy to clean, allows the use of wet sponges for cleaning the surface, is grainy, harmless to health and durable in use. Decorative plaster has air permeability, blends harmoniously into various areas of stylistics, has a wide range of textural techniques, colors.
The material is demanding to prepare the base, it does not look spectacular if the surface of the wall is curved. In addition, the professional stylish effect of facing is possible due to a master with a certain experience.
The main component of the raw material is a mixture based on polymers and cement mixed with coloring pigments. This is a universal lining that fits perfectly on a different base of the walls (concrete, wood, metal).It can have a different structure, have a relief, be smooth or rough, while resistant to the claws of pets. Microcement is priced cheaper than plaster, which saves the family budget well.
Wallpapers are a classic design technique, allowing you to combine with each other and play around the shortcomings of space by placing the accents properly. The rulers are roll, powder and "wet" wallpaper with a variety of textures, through which you can even out minor irregularities of the walls and ceiling, strengthen the walls, make them warmer, save the room from unnecessary noise.
Wallpapers have a huge selection of patterns, indicate any idea and premium design, demonstrating the subtle taste of the owners of the house. The different series include paper, vinyl, non-woven, textile, liquid wallpaper, photo printing, glass wall-paper, which can be painted about 20 times, cork and bamboo varieties, 3D paintings in 3D.
This lining includes materials from wood, plastic, glass, drywall, wood fiber boards (MDF). They are excellent in washing, they do not require an ideally flat surface to be installed on walls, they hide problem areas of the planes, they are simple and quick to install and dismantle.Wall panels look stylish, beautiful and fashionable, they often imitate the texture of wood, brick, tile and masonry. They can be installed instead of wallpaper, using raw materials in the form of slats, tiles or sheet material, hiding joints and seams through moldings. They serve up to 15 years, are resistant to mechanical damage, can be placed on the walls vertically, horizontally, at an angle.
This finish is an alternative to wall panels. The material looks beautiful, stylish and expensive, is able to imitate a variety of texture, easy to install and dismantle. Its surface is smooth, it is easy to maintain, reliable and aesthetic, it does not need preliminary preparation of the base.
But this facing is inappropriate in rooms with high humidity: the back side of the laminate absorbs moisture, which leads to deformation of the finish, the formation of waves and disintegration, which cannot be removed.
Decorating the walls with decorative stone is an expensive type of wall decoration of the hallway. Its aesthetic properties and strength are quite high. The basis of the material is gypsum, so this finish is recognized as environmentally friendly.More often the stone is placed on the bottom of the hallway walls: in the places most subject to mechanical damage.
Such facing is durable, differs in a relief, provides painting and correction of the damaged sites that happens extremely seldom. Laying is carried out exclusively on a smooth and flat surface.
One of the universal methods of wall cladding, characterized by moisture resistance and efficiency. The tile carries any cleaning, is a practical material, easy to use and democratic in price, it has a long service life, a lot of different patterns in different shades. In terms of performance, it is better than wall panels, does not change the properties in any type of room, regardless of temperature changes or the degree of humidity. The brightness of shades does not change over a long period of time, the pattern is not erased from the surface.
This decoration looks rich and unique, pointing to the special taste of the owners of the house. This is an elegant type of wall decor that is complex in lining and has a high cost. Material has a basis in the form of a flizelin, synthetic materials and impregnations of plaster, a marble crumb.It is distinguished by the visibility of the aged surface in the form of cracks, texture chips.
Wall niche design
Niche decoration depends on the overall design idea. However, it can be decorated in tone, and may have a contrast of the main or accent finishing lining. Its finish depends on the type of surface and almost always emphasizes the presence, thereby giving the niche a special significance as a functional and decorative element of the interior. In addition to the finishing niche is often decorated with lamps, complementing the central lighting, regardless of the rectangular or arched shape. If the space of the room is sufficient, the niche is a kind of mini-exhibition, demonstrating the style, decorated with statues, paintings, frescoes.
It is easier to paint it in any color, in other cases, the design technique involves a combination of painting the surface and pasting the walls with wallpaper. Often, a bright accent in the form of a panel or a picture is stuck on the niche.
Each method is subject to the rule of combination of texture, color, theme of style. Designer design often involves the use of glass and moldings.
Choose a color finish
Color preferences of each individual. In the hallway it is not customary to fill the space with white color: it is good in the picture, but in fact it is not practical at all. Light spots that increase the area, it is better to choose in shades of beige gamut. It is better if the shade is dull and warm: the cold tones do not set up a positive, they give the interior a depression.
The priority is gentle peach, coffee, nude and bronze tones, made in contrast with gold, silver and white decor, a touch of bleached wenge oak.
Dark and aggressive paints should be avoided: they change the aesthetic perception of the hallway for the worse. Purple, red, blue colors are not allowed. If you need brightness, you should pay attention to wood tones, coral, sandy yellow, pink, olive, terracotta, brick paint color palette. Monochrome combinations should be avoided: in this decoration they are inappropriate.
Wall decor options and decor
The hallway is the place where it is best to apply the techniques of design combination in the design. This will allow to beat the disadvantages of the space and use the facing material in accordance with the zones of differentdegree of load. You can decorate the walls with your own hands, if necessary, giving the space the desired tone and mood. To design was beautiful, you need to prepare a sketch, denoting the place of decor.
After drawing up a rough plan choose the material. More often it is a combined finish, with which it is easier to decorate the walls of the hallway. For example, it can be a combination of tile and laminate, panels that are easier to sheathe walls, make corners, and wallpaper, through which you can paste over the top of the walls or certain projections. It is possible to decorate the walls with the help of pictures, laid out with liquid wallpaper of the design or decorative stickers, gluing them over the facing material.
This technique is particularly relevant when combining cladding: so you can combine together different materials.
Based on the laying of stone or plaster, you can use different techniques. For example, to use in facing stones, brought from travel, rhinestones, shine. The relief surface can be created with a spatula, a kind of painting with your fingers or using special stencils. Sometimes coins, fragments of cloth, metal and glass plates are added to the relief.Panels better decorate moldings or baguette.
In addition to the choice of finishing material, elements of the situation up to small accessories are of great importance. Everything must be functional and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Do not do without shelves for shoes and coat hooks, if the space of the room is small. If the area allows, you can hang pictures on the wall or decorate the ledges of the walls with houseplants. If the space is quite large, you can arrange a wall table along the wall, decorating the tabletop with decorative figurines, fresh flowers, shells or unusual lamps, creating an interesting color composition.
It is desirable that in the hallway was a wardrobe with a mezzanine and drawers. This will allow to accommodate a maximum of clothes for each season, to remove items that are needed occasionally. Ugly, if the walls are empty: you can decorate their panels of wallpaper, frescoes, mirrors, built-in lighting. If the hallway is large, a narrow sofa is also appropriate, located along the wall.
For practicality, the sofa can be packaged in a replaceable eurocover, covering the furniture from all sides, providing easy cleaning and washing.
Modern design ideas
To visually have an idea how to arrange the walls of the hallway, you can refer to examples of experienced designers:
- A narrow corridor can be decorated with wallpaper with a medium-sized pattern, hanging paintings on the walls, and paneling the bottom of the walls: with the doors and furnishings, it is better to pick them up in bright colors;
- if the space is minimal, you can mark it with tiles with a practical lace pattern, emphasizing the color of the doors, shelves, coat hooks, putting a pouf for pereobuvaniya and a shelf for shoes at the threshold;
- in the hallway with a mass of projections and a minimum of space, you can simply paint the walls in a calm color by hanging several photos on them in frames, decorating the projections with figurines and deliberately highlighting them with light;
- an interesting view of the hallway can be created using panels in beige and brown tones, covering the wall horizontally with them, setting a wardrobe for clothes near the door, laying a shoe mat and hanging an unusual lamp on the wall at the entrance;
- You can combine walls with plaster and volume frescoes and imitation of masonry, partially sheeting the corners, thereby accentuating the doorway and mirror;
- beautifully textured on the walls of the hallway; textured beige finish in combination with solid brown doors, large mirror,point ceiling lamps and wall sconces with wrought iron decor;
- in a room with a broken perspective, you can select the wall with panels, combining them with an accent-wallpaper decorated with lights and a shelf for shoes: it is easier to divert attention from the diagonal walls of the room.
How to create a picture using liquid wallpaper in the hallway, see the next video.