Modern style hallways
The interior of the house should be decorated not only beautifully, but also correctly. This allows the space in the room to be functional, even with a small footage. Halls in this case have great resources, especially if they are decorated in an ergonomic modern style.
Hallways are of different types: vestibule (completely isolated from the rest of the room), narrow corridor, from which opens directly into several adjacent rooms, square or rectangular halls, combined with the entire apartment.
Regardless of what type and size of the hall, it performs several functions at once:
- Transit. This is a passage through the door to the interior of an apartment or house.It should have convenient storage systems for outdoor clothing that is needed on the street, shoes and accessories in the form of hats, umbrellas, gloves and other trifles.
- Small dressing room. This conditional name means that fees for exit if not carried out, then completed in the hallway. This is convenient and practical, because you do not have to wear warm winter clothes in a room or bedroom and walk around it in the apartment, but it does require a place in the hall to store these clothes and a mirror.
- Distributive. From the hallway opens access to different functional areas in the apartment. What exactly - depends on the layout. Often it is a bathroom, kitchen or living room. Considering this feature of the room, it is important to consider how the rooms will be isolated from the hallway, since some of them should be as far as possible from street dirt and dust.
- Warehouse. All typical apartments of Soviet and post-Soviet planning are equipped with built-in wardrobes for storing seasonal items. Modern rooms are also used by many for this purpose. In the hallways of the corridor type, cabinets, racks and shelves are installed, and to them they impose conflicting at first glance requirements - compactness and spaciousness.Often, only modern design can solve this problem, since mezzanines and bulky cabinets have already become obsolete, and modern trends are focused on the most functional and compact storage systems.
- Representative or aesthetic. An important function of the hallway - the formation of the first impression of the house and its owners, and the pile of domestic belongings at the entrance itself - not the best indicator.
Popular modern styles are a great solution for those who are thinking about repairing in the hallway. The variety of their “characters” will give you the opportunity to choose an option to your liking both within the framework of calm minimalism and in rather bold, experimental directions.
Despite the dissimilarity of one style to another, they are united by a number of advantages:
- The pursuit of convenience and functionality. Every corner, every niche in the wall works, and the flaws of the planning turn into advantages;
- Use modern and inexpensive materials. Natural materials are not so much possible as it is desirable to replace with more budget, but no less practical and high-quality counterparts;
- The original interior.The introduction of individual details is welcome, and no style imposes strict restrictions on the interior design;
- The ability to give old things a new life. Aged, rare, updated things and hand-made - a characteristic feature of modern styles. Do not throw away worn ottomans and furniture with defects. They can be covered with fabric, re-painted and diversified with interesting details.
There are some drawbacks to the newfangled design trends. The main thing is that it will take a long time to study all the details. You can use online resources, magazines, computer programs, and the result still risks to turn out to be unsatisfactory. It is easier to turn to professionals who will develop the project and bring it to the end, but the price of their services can hardly be called cheap.
The second caveat is that it is not always easy to bring together an interior composition, if you choose a modern style for the design of the hallway, and in the rest of the apartment there is a predominantly pronounced historical or even old repair without special orientation.
But this is not a reason to abandon the idea, but rather a reason to thoroughly understand what “modern style” is and what it is “eaten with”.
And without design education it is clear that this is not a specific name, but a collective characteristic of current trends. There are about a dozen styles, and each has its own characteristics.
Many reject it because of the idea that minimalism is impractical in its desire to get rid of a large amount of furniture and accessories in the room. However, it is not. The whole essence of this style is in a harmonious combination of simple in design objects and concise colors. It is dominated by light shades (white, cream, beige), but saturated rich colors from a brighter palette are not excluded. The main thing is to follow the basic rules - to make one or two walls bright, and not to combine more than three shades.
These stylistic techniques can solve the problem of small hallways and corridors in the "Khrushchev". Light colors in the decoration, contrasting walls, mirrored surfaces and competent lighting visually push the space.
As for furniture, it should be straight geometric shapes.Sharp corners, glass and mirror surfaces are welcome, but complex decoration in the form of forging, carving and colored ornaments should be avoided.
In the dressing room, this is acceptable in the form of narrow and long wardrobes with mirror doors, small cabinet furniture, built-in wardrobes, and modular designs. The spaciousness of the internal space of the furniture does not suffer.
With the help of clothes rods, folding shelves and pull-out baskets inside, it is easy to place any seasonal wardrobe. Soft cubical ottomans and hinged closed cabinets under the ceiling in the place of mezzanine can adjoin them.
In terms of finishing, expressive square details are welcome, for example, tiles on the floor.
Minimalism does not exclude accessories, but there is no room for non-functional things. If it is a housekeeper, there must be keys on it, if it is a shoe cushion for shoe trivia, it should contain shoe trivia (shoe spoons, creams, brushes).
Industrial style is an ode to free space. Loft is optimal for square-shaped hallways and halls that lead into the living room or kitchen. High ceilings in the apartment - an advantage that you definitely need to use.
This style is not rich in color, but varied in texture.A characteristic feature of a hall in a loft style is “finishing without decoration”. That is, the space should be as stylized as possible to the surroundings of the uninhabited premises. For this purpose, rough finishing materials are used: stone, “bare” and bleached brick, plaster, cinder block, metal, wood.
It is not necessary to interrupt the repair in the middle of the process in order to achieve the desired effect. Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of materials that look good, but provide a neat appearance to the room. And this is an important feature, since with external negligence the loft has no right to look cheap.
Any "imperfection" should bear the trace of the master's hands.
To support the interior composition will help details that are relevant only in this style: ceiling beams, undisguised ventilation pipes and supporting structures, lamps with steel shades, homemade lamp shades from a rope.
The industrial genre in the interior does not tolerate deaf zoning of premises, except for a bathroom. If there is an exit from the hallway to the kitchen and living room, it is worthwhile to stop the choice on tempered or acrylic glass doors, so that the rooms can be looked through and the airiness appears in the space.
It is not necessary to pile up the hallway with decorative elements, an unusual finish in itself looks original. But there is an opportunity to play on contrasts by placing an aged or rare oak wardrobe next to a brick wall, or a high steel shoe rack without a front and back wall against a bleached wood background.
Furniture has the right to be bulky, good-quality, rough. Interestingly look "random" objects in the form of antique hangers for outerwear, velvet ottomans of various shapes and colors, ethnic details.
It is located on the border of the historical and modern trends, since it was born at the dawn of revolutionary changes in the production and household spheres of the young Soviet state. We can say that this is a domestic innovation. Ergonomics, which put at the forefront beautiful and functional items, eliminating all unnecessary from the interior.
It is dominated by clear forms and compactness, so necessary in a multi-tasking hallway. Hence the desire to use transforming furniture and appropriate attributes that are devoid of decorative.
Constructivism is simplicity, but expensive, and the high cost of furniture here is emphasized by noble materials and texture. The very same furniture is mounted in a niche in the walls to occupy as little as possible of the precious space.
Bright accessories in the design of the hallway are the walls. The color should be clear, even if it is black or bright yellow. The combination of glossy and matte surfaces is welcomed.
It fully falls under the definition of “simple and tasteful.” The main advantages of this style are orientation to materials accessible to all and the lack of understanding of the finished composition. That is, at any time you can replace something from the furniture, add or remove, and the appearance of the hallway will not suffer.
When choosing finishes, you should focus on simple materials like plastic panels and wallpaper with a pattern (in monochrome and color stripes, with fleur-de-lis).
As accessories will look good pair of lamps, floor vases and a bright accent in the form of a stool or padded stool, on which you can sit or put things.
In this style, it is permissible to combine various elements of furniture: plastic shelves, a cabinet-hill, shelves in wall niches, cabinet cases from a mass market with household goods.But they should not be many. In the first place in the situation remains compactness and proportionality.
Not all modern styles are suitable for the design of the hallway. So, shebbi-chic and country music will be out of place due to natural materials, excessive “theatricality” and an abundance of fine details. Kitsch and pop art are under pressure with their "eye-catching" variegation, grunge is more appropriate in the living room and bedroom, techno and hi-tech to the impractical chrome-plated details and the dominance of modern technology, and fusion is too complicated for a small and functional zone.
Wall and ceiling decoration
Perhaps the most unassuming in terms of materials part of the hallway - this is the ceiling. He is not trampled on with a dusty, wet or dirty sole of a shoe, domestic animals do not strive to sharpen claws on him, heavy shopping bags do not lean against him, therefore, to finish the ceiling, you can choose a more aesthetic option at the expense of durability.
Regardless of the choice of color, traditional white or bright, there are a large number of lining options:
- Whitewash. Universal solution for all modern styles. In addition, whitewashing refers to the most budget options.You can do this procedure yourself without special knowledge, and if you add a few drops of color to the ceiling whiteness mix, it will get an interesting shade.
- Coloring. Also applies to readily available and economical options. The only condition is that the work surface must be leveled with a putty, and in some cases also covered with soil.
- Plastering. Effective reception and without subsequent staining. Such a ceiling organically fits into interiors that allow easy negligence and interesting
- Wallpaper. Inexpensive, beautiful and easy to finish.
- Stretch ceiling. It is a practical, durable and easy to clean coating for years. Another important plus is the ease of installation without the need to level the surface of the ceiling. And the third - aesthetic appearance and presentability at a low price.
- Rack coating. It makes it possible to decorate the ceiling with an unusual relief material, hide the layout flaws and forget about the repair of the ceiling and cleaning problems for a long time. However, this method does not apply to low-cost solutions, and when installing the ceiling level drops not less than 10 cm.
- Drywall An economical and malleable material, which makes it possible to create both a smooth surface and volumetric fancy shapes that are relevant in modern styles. Drywall is durable, environmentally friendly, does not allow the formation of condensation between it and the ceiling, can serve as a base for other types of finishes.
- Tree. In modern interiors with a focus on affordable materials, there is practically no space for natural wood, unless it is a loft with ceiling beams under a high ceiling.
Wall decoration is a very important moment. Their area is larger than that of the ceiling or floor covering, while the walls are located at eye level, and any shortcomings will be immediately noticeable. Properly selected material for wall decoration can be the basis of the interior hallway.
- Coloring and whitewashing. These techniques are borrowed from the ceiling trim and have already taken root in the currently popular styles. They are actively used and loft, and Provence, and minimalism. For some areas, monotony and light color are important, for others texture is a priority. One of the fashionable trends is bleached brick or stone, the relief of which is visible through a layer of paint.
- Liquid wallpaper and glass wall. The usual vinyl and traditional ones are also suitable, but not in white and not in light color. Literally in a year or two of frequent cleaning, they will lose their gloss, while liquid wallpaper and glass wall covering can be washed, repainted and even restored several times.
- Decorative plaster. Easy to apply, resistant to moisture, does not fade. Due to its consistency, it can block cracks and hide defects on walls. Depending on the method of application creates a smooth or textured surface. But the most important advantage of this material is the ability to imitate finishing with marble, amber, malachite and making stucco.
- Tile. A popular form of finishing the hallway, because it is resistant to scratches and mechanical damage (but not strong shock), easy to clean, maintains a beautiful look over the years, combined with any materials.
- Brick, stone, cinder block, foam block. These rough materials are difficult to apply when finishing, but if the walls are made of them, this is a good opportunity to use relief and texture in the interests of the design. Red brickwork, bleached stone, painted stone - the basis of industrial styles.
- Decorative panels. Wall decoration with PVC materials is a convenience, economy, practicality, aesthetics and wide possibilities of styling. The outer surface of the panels can be smooth or embossed, monophonic or colored, with a small pattern or photo printing, imitation of the texture of wood, brickwork, stone.
We make the floor
If the attitude to the finishing of the ceiling is the most loyal, then the floor is the most "capricious" of the functional fragments of the interior. There are many requirements for the flooring in the hallway. It should be beautiful, and inexpensive, and resistant to abrasion, and moisture-proof, and warm. Some materials, for all their merits, are not able to meet these requirements.
So, natural wood is not suitable for flooring in the hallway. Parquet shows itself badly, suffering from any careless movements and water. Quickly overwrites, tarnishes and sometimes linoleum swells.
Inappropriate laminate and carpet.
And popular materials for finishing the floor, which are not afraid of frequent cleaning, large room, mechanical damage and other domestic manifestations include:
- Bulk floor. This is a difficult and expensive method, but in the long term one of the most successful. Externally, it looks like an expensive parquet flooring, pleasant to the touch like rubber, and in terms of performance is simple as tile.
- Rubber coating. Also refers to the not cheap, but it is a good investment in the repair. Rubber has unique properties. It is anti-bacterial, non-toxic, resistant to dirt, moisture, temperature, mechanical damage, durable. Additionally, the rubber floor provides good sound insulation.
- Porcelain tiles. Beautiful, solid coverage for decades. It is easy to wash, hard to damage, it is pleasant in appearance and touch. However, it is important to note that the porcelain stonework itself is quite cold material. When choosing it, it is important to take care of the heating system for the floor in the hallway, if this section leads to the bathroom, kitchen or other rooms.
Hallway lighting has several features:
- Decorative. Here plays the role of alignment of light accents at eye level. Lamps, sconces, light bulbs, beautiful lampshades are needed not so much for lighting as for accessories.Such minor details are very important for creating coziness and integrity in a modern interior.
- Practical. In this case, the lighting performs its direct function. The main source of light is considered to be a ceiling chandelier, a luminaire or a group of lamps, and an auxiliary one is the lighting of baseboards, lighting inside the wardrobe, light bulbs above the shelves.
- Architectural. The most difficult kind of lighting, resorted to by professional designers to create visual effects in the room.
This may be zoning, if the hallway is large, and the visual increase in space, if the room is small. In the first case, the light sources are installed directly around the perimeter of the functional zones and are controlled by different switches. In the second, niches in the walls are often illuminated, to give relief and volume to the walls, they use the ceiling lighting, which makes it a little higher for the eyes, or they focus on one wall, combining light and drawings with perspective.
Choice of furniture
Two types of furniture are common in the hallways: cabinet and built-in. It, in turn, is divided into open and closed storage systems.Closed are cabinets, mezzanines and shelves with doors. Open - cabinets, which according to the designer's idea there are no doors, bookcases, shoe shelves, hangers and hooks.
Design features, color, texture, materials and dimensions of the product are determined by the style features and the size of the hallway. For small-sized better built-in wardrobe, for spacious - cabinet furniture; in a minimalist interior - light, and in the industrial - black.
To optimize the internal space of storage systems are used:
- Multilevel bars for clothes.
- Pantograph rod (with a handle for lifting and lowering upwards in tall cabinets).
- Retractable laundry baskets.
- Hangers with hooks.
- Pull-out trouser holders.
- Hooks for small accessories.
- The boxes.
- Foldable scuba (soft shelves).
Cabinets are often complemented by benches or ottomans in small hallways and sofas in large ones.
Sometimes the word “hallways” is confused, since this is both the name of the room and the name of the functional storage system in the form of a cabinet with many compartments, shelves and parts.
When purchasing a finished hallway, it is important to pay attention to the materials of manufacture and the country of origin. In the middle and premium segment, Italian and German natural wood products are leading, as well as American designer novelties from various materials, from plastic to metal.
In the economy segment, you can choose a decent model of Russian production from the array, MDF and chipboard and furniture of the Swedish concern Ikea.
The choice of color is influenced by several factors:
- Personal preferences. Whoever says about the rules of design, the desire of the owner comes first. If you want to make the hallway in a pink color - why not? It is only important to choose the right shades and materials.
- Dimensions. In a large hallway it is easy to experiment with a dark palette (brown, dark gray, blue, black, wine, emerald, graphite, wenge, mahogany), but it is more convenient to beat a small one in light colors (white, melted milk, light gray, ocher, blue , silver, metallic, peach).
- Style. Each modern trend has its own color rules, and it is not necessary to strictly observe them, but it’s worth adhering to.Minimalism will never work with the color palette of pop art, and vice versa.
- Features of planning. Ideal is considered a room close in shape to the square. It does not need to be adjusted due to the play of colors and light, but penny corridors and small hallways with very high ceilings must be painted in a certain way. For example, you can “lower” the ceiling using peach color on the walls and dark terracotta on the ceiling.
- General rules of style. They are simple and clear: do not combine more than 3-5 colors, choose one color dominant, choose colors in a harmonious combination with the coloring of the whole apartment, and so on.
Stylish and beautiful hallways are those in the design of which used bold ideas.
The first thing to think about the appearance of storage systems. The presence of a tightly closed cabinet is not a requirement. Hooks and hangers of unusual shapes can be placed in a recess in the wall, a shoe shelf can be made from an old cabinet, and things that need to be hidden from your eyes can be stored under the seat of a small sofa bench.
The second technique for creating an original design is playing with light and the appearance of lighting devices.Since the hallway is almost without windows in 100% of cases, artificial light in it is simply necessary. Nontrivial view of lamps (LED strips, lampshades made of wicker baskets, threads, bottles, steel tall floor lamps, cozy sconces from plaster) can revive the most boring interior.
And the last way is to focus on the details. To do this, you can borrow decorative elements from different styles or turn everyday objects into decoration. For example, if it is autumn and puddles on the street, let bright rubber boots and raincoats of all family members do not hide in the closet, but stand in the most visible place. There may also be a highlight of straw baskets with flowers, hats, summer shirts, sports helmets and equipment. Even a high-speed bicycle, which found a place only on the brackets in the hallway, can be turned from an object that bothers everyone with an accessory, by devoting the interior of the hallway to a sports theme.
In more detail how to create a cozy hall in modern style, you learn from the following video.